Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Fall is Hunting Season

RodandStaff

As deer season approaches, I get excited for those who love to hunt. Like I stated earlier, I've mellowed a bit in regard to hunting...but, I still hold a "pro" hunting attitude. My son came down from Arkansas to visit the last weekend of deer season (I live in Texas) two seasons ago...while playing golf he stated he sure wished he could hunt some deer. I picked up my golf ball and said let's go...I took him out to a "honey hole" nearby and an hour later, this is what he bagged. Wonderful memories! By the way, the buck was eaten...

Cool post Klik. You bag it you eat it or give the food source to families that will. I have spent a lot of time in W. Texas and cleaned my fair share of Dove and Bass when I was a kid. I moved to Florida to live with my Dad when I was in High School. My Dad is in the Marine business in Florida. We lived in the Everglades. Nothing was off limits, including Gator Tail and fishing the Keys. Our catch was always was a food source for my family. I have fished streams in Colorado, successfully during camping trips. My catch was dinner. Fresh trout is awesome.

• Upvote 2

Cool post Klik. You bag it you eat it or give the food source to families that will. I have spent a lot of time in W. Texas and cleaned my fair share of Dove and Bass when I was a kid. I moved to Florida to live with my Dad when I was in High School. My Dad is in the Marine business in Florida. We lived in the Everglades. Nothing was off limits, including Gator Tail and fishing the Keys. Our catch was always was a food source for my family. I have fished streams in Colorado, successfully during camping trips. My catch was dinner. Fresh trout is awesome.

Thanks. When it comes to eating, my favorite food is fish. I love catching em and love eating em...one of the best times one can have is hosting a neighborhood fish fry. I have access to many ranches through friendship and business, and it seems all of them have stock ponds. We were dove hunting over one a few years ago and a friend shot a dove...it hit the water, floated on top for a few seconds and WHAM, a bass came up and swallowed the bird whole! Needless to say, when I'm on that ranch I fish it with my shotgun nearby...one eye on my bait, one eye scanning the sky! It seems you had great times in Florida...good memories, right?! My brother lives in Tampa so I get to visit and fish Florida often. As for trout in Colorado, my first time out I was rather displeased at how small the brookies are...but do they ever taste good!

• Upvote 3

Thanks. When it comes to eating, my favorite food is fish. I love catching em and love eating em...one of the best times one can have is hosting a neighborhood fish fry. I have access to many ranches through friendship and business, and it seems all of them have stock ponds. We were dove hunting over one a few years ago and a friend shot a dove...it hit the water, floated on top for a few seconds and WHAM, a bass came up and swallowed the bird whole! Needless to say, when I'm on that ranch I fish it with my shotgun nearby...one eye on my bait, one eye scanning the sky! It seems you had great times in Florida...good memories, right?! My brother lives in Tampa so I get to visit and fish Florida often. As for trout in Colorado, my first time out I was rather displeased at how small the brookies are...but do they ever taste good!

Cool post Klik. I'm cool with nature, hunting and fishing in general. I'm grateful that I had the experience to learn, as I have have. I'm a little white women that thinks like A Native American. I follow Native American culture. That's how I roll. Native American spirituality works for me.

Peace everyone.

• Upvote 2

Now here's a subject I love!!! I just purchased a new pig gun that I consider the ultimate hog gun!! I have an AR15 chambered in 300 blackout. It has a 6 point tactical stock, 3x9x50 BSA scope, with a floating retical sight mounted with a 45 degree mount, pistol grip, forward grip with built in red dot and bi-pod, popup iron sights, 2000 lumen flashlight attached and a 16 inch bull barrel....... It will drop a pig through a brick wall!!!!! By the way.... It also looks ominous as hades!!!!!

I'm sure it does and I think ya got Cisole shaking in his hoofs!!! unsure.gif

A friend sent me this link on Plains Horse Archery Assoc., something I definitely want to try out someday... oh and don't worry... I'm used to eating humble pie... but at least I can say I tried!!! laugh.gif

Sorry... forgot to post the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Plains-Horse-Archery-Association/126041130752190?ref=stream

This must be the one that got away from ya Ski...blink.gif I would say that is was tough as nails!!! rolleyes.gifwink.gif

409700_3820807631543_2068494381_n.jpg

Some folks like to have some fun by playing paintball...

... it can improve your woodsman-ship skills as well as

come up with some very interesting outfits!!! laugh.gif

301225_10151073455901872_53633029_n.jpg

I actually love to organize games of paintball for the teenage aged

groups... what a way to get em into the woods and blow off some

steam!!! Yet in the midst of it give them an appreciation for the wilderness!!!wink.gif

• Upvote 1

Thanks Snotrocket,,, I hope ya'll know I'm not here to bash anybody, esp. Ski. I have grown to love her albeit blunt at times passion for speaking her mind. I just think in this instance there is a much bigger picture, and your right... it is getting back to, and maintaining the basics of survival and never losing touch with our roots.

I'm sorry I neglected to post a link for Polyface Farms and Joel Salatin. No, this isn't a farming post, but I just want to reinforce that "Basics of Life and Survival" techniques that are very well promoted by ones like Mr. Salatin. This is just one of his You Tube post's... a brief introduction if you will. I would advise anyone to do their own research into this "getting back to basics" lifestyle. Am I suggesting everyone move back to the country and buy a farm... not necessarily. I do however recommend that you learn the basics of growing your own food, and what it takes to harvest it, and preserve it. If this knowledge is ever lost... it's almost like nailing our own coffin shut. That may sound somewhat radical but I am that committed to these ideas. It's modern society that has drifted away from our roots that really scares me.

At the turn of the 19th century there were somewhere between 90 and 95% of Americans where considered "farmers" in one capacity or another. You had to grow your own food, raise your own chickens, pigs, and usually someone close by raised some milk cows and beef. Many hunted just to supplement their own meat supply. Now it's the other way around.... there are only approximately 3% of our population that are considered farmers... a dying breed indeed. I was fortunate enough to marry a farmers daughter, and she continues to grow her own garden and can our own veggies and meat when it's available from the efforts of our own harvesting.

Enough rambling... sorry if I'm boring some of you folks... but here is a link to introduce you to Joel Salatin if your interested in that sort of thing. wink.gif

Rod,

I want to thank you for the post, as a farm boy from Nebraska, I enjoyed the video of Polyface Farms! I have spent most of my adult life in the city and raised my two sons here and feel guilty about it. I truly miss the farm life, and wish I would have stayed on the farm. We do go fishing and hunting and go camping in the woods as often as possible. It is a great way to bond with my son's and is a family affair for us. My wife doesn't pull the trigger but enjoys being with us.

Trophy hunting isn't for me, but I am not against it if that is what a person likes. I just hunt for the meat.

Great Thread!!!!! :twothumbs:

• Upvote 3

Here's a few more of my "skinned out trophy's" kliklock00 just hanging around waiting to be worked on!!!

Yup... I can turn a bad day hunting into an excellent day pretty quick when I see baby's like these growing around in the woods!!! wink.gifUnfortunately they don't taste very good... I suppose I could make a soup of sorts from em, but I would probably starve to death then!!! rolleyes.gif

10297_10151240784264224_451096786_n.jpg

Interesting wood, Rod. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. You crack me up. Oh well, I guess I should save it for another thread. :) I don't need Granny on my ass, again.

• Upvote 2

This must be the one that got away from ya Ski...blink.gif I would say that is was tough as nails!!! rolleyes.gifwink.gif

409700_3820807631543_2068494381_n.jpg

Some folks like to have some fun by playing paintball...

... it can improve your woodsman-ship skills as well as

come up with some very interesting outfits!!! laugh.gif

301225_10151073455901872_53633029_n.jpg

I actually love to organize games of paintball for the teenage aged

groups... what a way to get em into the woods and blow off some

steam!!! Yet in the midst of it give them an appreciation for the wilderness!!!wink.gif

Actually, I have let one go. I buried him under the Court House. Fishing is another story. The species of the fish and size determines whether I catch and release. I have thrown back many due to size limit. I would rather throw back the young giving them an opportunity to reproduce and carry on the spices. My father taught me well with regards to fishing.

Btw: Paintball is fun. At the end of the day we look like a a colorful peace of art.

• Upvote 1

So many choices!!! confused.gif

What to do... what to do??? rolleyes.gif

308315_2462844183466_1852792556_n.jpg

Btw: Paintball is fun. At the end of the day we look like a a colorful peace of art.

I never thought of it that way Ski... body art!!! laugh.gif I love the look on a kids face when they "take out" some big ol' adult... "that... makes my day"!!! wink.gif

• Upvote 1

This one is a beauty but not where you'd expect... Northern Wisconsin. Many, many years ago the Elk range included a huge part of the United States... today though they can be found mostly native in parts the extreme western half of the Midwest and the Rocky Mountains. This one is part of a reintroduction to an old stomping grounds in N.W. Wisconsin, and is tagged and monitored. So... this one is off limits for now. wink.gif

601587_4107032909214_1353062196_n.jpg

He at least has some company!!! wub.gif

399733_4107210633657_1841726665_n.jpg

Ready... set... go get em boy!!! wink.gif

536256_10151241107970797_797232605_n.jpg

A bountiful fall harvest!!! wink.gif

545946_10151216583700797_1695069681_n.jpg

Never thought of this kinda hunting... I bet there aren't many guys that mess around

with her... she looks like she can really handle herself!!! blink.gif

403974_10151187385175797_1202091552_n.jpg

Choices... choices!!! emot-eek.gif

539860_10151091415340797_1372186756_n.jpg

I didn't see a dang thing all day!!! rolleyes.gif

524470_10150934237750797_862157398_n.jpg

I hope those of you that want to can get the trophy of your life!!! wink.gif

485687_10151189442574399_2062998725_n.jpg

So many choices!!! confused.gif

What to do... what to do??? rolleyes.gif

308315_2462844183466_1852792556_n.jpg

I never thought of it that way Ski... body art!!! laugh.gif I love the look on a kids face when they "take out" some big ol' adult... "that... makes my day"!!! wink.gif

All of us are a piece of art in progress, Rod. Our colors change as we progress in our lives. I just learned that my ex brother in law is no longer homeless. He now lives with my ex Mother in law and works on her property taking care of her animals. Shaun is off drugs, is no longer homeless and has changed his colors. I'm so grateful. :D

• Upvote 1

All of us are a piece of art in progress, Rod. Our colors change as we progress in our lives. I just learned that my ex brother in law is no longer homeless. He now lives with my ex Mother in law and works on her property taking care of her animals. Shaun is off drugs, is no longer homeless and has changed his colors. I'm so grateful. :D

Sounds like some good life lessons in that story right there Ski... good to hear, really good!!! wink.gif

Here's something my better half would agree with!!!rolleyes.gif

76840_10152128789345524_293041849_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just thought I would give ya'll something to think about this weekend!!! wink.gif

150710_10150770976429399_701979496_n.jpg

Here's a question for ya..

.. is this real, or fake??? blink.gif

521907_10150737286024399_1496338629_n.jpg

Real. killed by Jerry Bryant in Fulton county IL.

http://www.huntingne...il.aspx?nID=679

Looks like a different kind of hunter

beat us to this big buck!!! unsure.gif

423391_10150662211774399_549611224_n.jpg

That's the last time I'll let you strut your stuff around my gal!!! rolleyes.gif

283052_10150280199009399_6064513_n.jpg

Sounds like some good life lessons in that story right there Ski... good to hear, really good!!! wink.gif

Here's something my better half would agree with!!!rolleyes.gif

76840_10152128789345524_293041849_n.jpg

Thanks Rod. I'm really proud of my ex brother in law. The family, myself included, has struggled with Shaun's choices in life. It looks like he's getting his life together.

Your better half is right. Never shop with a man. They get too fidgety in the shoe department. What they don't realize is that we are buying the hot shoes for them. :D

• Upvote 1

Never thought of this kinda hunting... I bet there aren't many guys that mess around

with her... she looks like she can really handle herself!!! Posted Image

Resized to 89% (was 770 x 577) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

Read more:

I'd mess with her just to say I did. :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1

Hey... now wait just a minute??? blink.gif

Hunting.jpg

Well... maybe you have a point there dog??? unsure.gif

b20e.jpg

Don't ya wish it was this easy??? unsure.gif

But then again... most kids today think this is what hunting is really like!!! rolleyes.gif

spaceinvader.jpg

Poor George... he fell for the oldest trick in the book!!! rolleyes.gif

funny-cartoon-duck-hunting.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Rod smile.gif

I've never been behind killing wolves... or whales.

Actually I love Dolphins Too.

Please tell me your view about them my friend.

Hugs, Maggie

PS. I have been following this thread all along. I get what you have been saying... I have a question about balance. smile.gif

Maggie... I'm a nature freak myself, I love and respect all aspects of the great outdoors. What many folks don't realize is that hunting "game animals" has actually increased the population of the herds/flocks etc... So I am for the balance of managing the populations of the hunted species so that we can enjoy the harvest as well as know that they will still be thriving in balance for generations to come. I don't think you could include most whales in that category .. I wouldn't know for sure... I've never hunted one, and have no plans to. I know wolves are a sticky issue in some parts of the country for ranchers and farmers. If they prove to be overpopulated in some areas some may find it necessary to relocate them or sad to say hunt them. Protecting the livestock is often a priority... I know that's how I felt when I used to have chickens. A raccoon, skunk, and even opossums can do some pretty bad damage in a coop, as well as other varmints So I understand both sides of that issue. I personally love the wolf, I have heard plenty of coyote's in my day, I still want to hear a wolf in the wild some day. As far as The Dolphins... I prefer to have my Packers whoop them on the football field!!! rolleyes.gif I love to see the one's that swim in the ocean though... awesome creatures!!! wink.gif Hope that helps ya know where I stand.

Rod You Know How Much I Respect You. smile.gif Thank You For Respecting Me Back.

I know what you mean about protecting your flock. I protected my chickens with my life! blink.gifohmy.giflaugh.gif

Oh My Dear... Let's protect wolves... and whales... and dolphins... OK?

I know what you are saying about balance of "nature" and I respect that too. smile.gif

You Are A Love Bug Always!

Hugs Maggie

• Upvote 1

Rod You Know How Much I Respect You. smile.gif Thank You For Respecting Me Back.

I know what you mean about protecting your flock. I protected my chickens with my life! blink.gifohmy.giflaugh.gif

Oh My Dear... Let's protect wolves... and whales... and dolphins... OK?

I know what you are saying about balance of "nature" and I respect that too. smile.gif

You Are A Love Bug Always!

Hugs Maggie

Over population is a problem found in most species. Thats why its so important to regulate and provide a legal harvesting method for the good of the animal. Dolphins don't really fall into the hunting categories don't know why anyone would destroy one. Wolves on the other hand if destroying livestock would have to go otherwise they also are on my list as a non-game animal . Whales i'm kinda on the middle on. If they have been studied and it is decide by biologist that a certain number must be culled and that their meat will be consumed I just don't think I have a right to say stop the killing of them. But me personally I cant see me eating any blubber.

• Upvote 2

An old joke - and still cracks me up everytime.

Deer Camp

All the guys were all at a deer camp. No one wanted to room with Bob, because he snored so badly. They decided it wasn't fair to make one

of them stay with him the whole time, so they voted to take turns.

The first guy slept with Bob and comes to breakfast the next morning with his hair a mess and his eyes all bloodshot.

They said, "Man, what happened to you? He said, "Bob snored so loudly, I just sat up and watched him all night."

The next night it was a different guy's turn. In the morning, same thing, hair all standing up, eyes all bloodshot.

They said, "Man, what happened to you? You look awful! He said, 'Man, that Bob shakes the roof with his snoring. I watched him all night."

The third night was Fred's turn. Fred was a tanned, older cowboy, a man's man. The next morning he came to breakfast bright-eyed and

bushy-tailed.

"Good morning!" he said. They couldn't believe it. They said, "Man, what happened?"

He said, "Well, we got ready for bed. I went and tucked Bob into bed, patted him on the butt, and kissed him good night. Bob sat up and

watched me all night."

With age comes wisdom.

• Upvote 4