Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Fall is Hunting Season

RodandStaff

It appears fastarnie is after more than alligator tail rolleyes.gif... but me, I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet, someday perhaps. Many things get to be local delicacies .. and if you don't live there or travel there often you miss out! sad.gif

I actually have had the alligator tail, and turtle soup. I used to work out of New Iberia, La doing oil research in the Gulf of Mexico.

• Upvote 2

This just in...surveillance has discovered this squirrel compound and found them in special elite training... it may make this years hunt a little more tricky, that, and ya better watch your back, who knows what they have up their sleeves??? blink.gif

253051_385414391532609_1668368959_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

In 13 days the opener for pheasant season will start. Cant wait. !!!!!!

large_Cahlik%20Preserve%201.jpg

diamond-ranches-pheasant-hunts-2.jpg

Good luck to ya'll dog, have a good hunt!!! wink.gifWhat state do ya'll hunt in??? I was just talking to one of my friends who is a pheasant guide in S.D., we are thinking of setting up a hunt up there maybe next fall, I have a whole slew of brothers and would try to make it a brothers outing. We went to Lake Superior last summer for a charter boat fishing trip.... great time together and great memories! Life's too short not to spend some time making memories!!! biggrin.gif

Oh, oh... what did I just tell ya'll about them squirrels??? unsure.gif

commando_squirrel.jpgArmy_Squirrel.jpgblink.gif

Good luck to ya'll dog, have a good hunt!!! wink.gifWhat state do ya'll hunt in??? I was just talking to one of my friends who is a pheasant guide in S.D., we are thinking of setting up a hunt up there maybe next fall, I have a whole slew of brothers and would try to make it a brothers outing. We went to Lake Superior last summer for a charter boat fishing trip.... great time together and great memories! Life's too short not to spend some time making memories!!! biggrin.gif

Oh, oh... what did I just tell ya'll about them squirrels??? unsure.gif

commando_squirrel.jpgArmy_Squirrel.jpgblink.gif

Oct 20th is the opener for Mich. Yeah SD that's pheasant heaven Rod. When I was a young man the bag limit was 5 a day and you had no problem here getting a limit of pheasant. Now its 2 a day and believe me you have to work for them. But its all good . A day afield is great whether you bag anything or not. Rod that squirrel looks like he can hold his own. Wouldn't wanna mess with him. smile.gif

• Upvote 1

Wife #1 was born in Key west thats where we met. Both her brothers was in to the feed yourself thing. Gator Tail , snorkle dive with spear gun for grouper Lobster traps. Yeah we kept the warden very busy. hahaha But we only took what we could eat But man did we eat good smile.gif

That's how my Dad is. He has lived off the land and sea in Florida for ions. I guess that's why I have learned to appreciate hunting and fishing.

Btw: I can't imagine diving to hunt Grouper with a spear gun unless your in shallow water and are looking for the young. My Dad has caught some large Grouper in deeper water. The largest was 60lbs. My Dad shared his catch with many of his neighbors. Needless to say many freezers were stocked.

I agree with you. Never take more than you can eat or share with your friends.

I went on camping trip with a boyfriend of mine twenty years ago. We were camping in a remote location West of Leadville, CO. I decided that I was going to go fishing and found a stream off the side of the road. My tackle was a spool of fishing line, a few hooks and a plastic container of pink salmon roe. The trout went nuts. I had to stop fishing within a short period of time knowing that we couldn't eat all the trout that I had caught. That's when I learned never take more than you can consume, especially while camping.

• Upvote 1

Oct 20th is the opener for Mich. Yeah SD that's pheasant heaven Rod. When I was a young man the bag limit was 5 a day and you had no problem here getting a limit of pheasant. Now its 2 a day and believe me you have to work for them. But its all good . A day afield is great whether you bag anything or not. Rod that squirrel looks like he can hold his own. Wouldn't wanna mess with him. smile.gif

I've heard that about S.D. My buddy says that they will often flush out up to 200 birds per field on an average day in his area of S.D. ... one thing he stressed though... that don't guarantee hitting any of them!!! blink.gif Like an old farmer once told me.... "thar's a lot of air around them thar critters!!!"... I totally agree, esp. when they are moving so fast!!! rolleyes.gif I'm more of a big game hunt kinda guy. I haven't had the chance to hunt pheasants yet (when in Northern Wisconsin... you can forget about it), but I tried duck hunting until a buddy dropped me off on what looked like a shallow sand bar... it turned out to be similar to quicksand... he barely got back to me in time to rescue me before the water got into my chest waders and sank me. I kinda lost interest in it after that, but I am interested in pheasant hunting... I just better get out and shot a bunch of clay pigeons so I can at least hit something when I shoot at em! emot-shakehead.gif

We have a crap load of grouse here in upper lower Mich. Much better eating bird then the pheasent. But talk about hard to hit. You get good on grouse and you will never have to worry about hitting another pheasent. They are like little rockets taking off and unlike the field loving pheasent these birds love the woods and thickets. So its like now you see me. Now you dont.

Orion-grouse-hunting.jpg

Typical grouse cover

grousecamp12.jpg

grousecamp12.jpg

89682397_XS.jpg

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 1

We have a crap load of grouse here in upper lower Mich. Much better eating bird then the pheasent. But talk about hard to hit. You get good on grouse and you will never have to worry about hitting another pheasent. They are like little rockets taking off and unlike the field loving pheasent these birds love the woods and thickets. So its like now you see me. Now you dont.

89682397_XS.jpg

I had been startled many times by grouse while stalking deer in Northern WI. ... but I haven't ever tried hunting them yet either sorry to say dog.... add that to my bucket list!!!wink.gif

This picture reminds me of many a hunt in the frozen tundra... that being for me in the old days now that I'm in TN. (not much snow down here). You being in Michigan dog I sure could tell a few stories of dealing with the "winter wonderland"!!! unsure.gif

578682_10151134233766833_1911577807_n.jpg

This is definitely on my post RV bucket list of things to do... a pheasant hunt in S.D. where I have a close friend who is a guide up there. wink.gif

your-stay-hdr.jpg

Link: http://www.scattergunlodge.com/

They even have what they call a "super range"... trying to hit a target a mile away with a 50 cal.!!! biggrin.gif

matt-mcpherson-pic.jpg

They even supply the shotguns so you don't have to fly or drive with your own!wink.gif

pheasant-hunting-guns.jpg

It definitely looks like a fun place.... after the RV that is!!! rolleyes.gif

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...