Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Breaking News... INA receives letter of Erbil meeting

Breaking News... INA receives letter of Erbil meeting

Thursday, 03 May 2012 19:20 | | |

Baghdad (AIN) –The Iraqi National Alliance received the letter of the meeting of Erbil which includes nine items and to withdraw confidence from government in case of not applying these items within fifteen days.

The head of Ahrar bloc, Bahaa al-Araji, stated to All Iraq News Agency (AIN) on Thursday” The INA received the letter resulted from Erbil meeting which obliges the government to adhere to its items within fifteen days otherwise the confidence will be withdrawn from it.”

“The letter handed to the head of the INA, Ibrahim al-Ja’afari, who called for a meeting for the INA in his house, presented by the PM, Nouri al-Maliki, on Thursday night to discuss this letter and its items,” he added, noting that “The items need to be applied within fifteen days set by the parts of Erbil meeting who are , The President, Jalal al-Talabani, the head of al-Sadr Trend, Muqtada al-Sadr, the head of the Iraqiya Slate, Ayad Allawi, and the President of Kurdistan Region, Masoud Barazani.”

“Sader called to make the reformation by the INA and stressed on the Sader delegation to focus on discussing these items because Maliki is nominated for the PM post by the INA and not the PM of the INA. So, he has to adhere to what the meeting of the INA will result in,” he pointed out.

He described Erbil meeting as being “Positive because it comprises various Iraqi parts and resembles the beginning of achieving the real partnership.”

Earlier, a meeting was held in Erbil on last Saturday.

The meeting involved the President, Jalal Talabani, the Speaker, Osama al-Nijaifi, the President of Kurdistan Region, Masoud Barzani, and the head of Sadr Trend, Muqtada al-Sadr, as well as the head of the Iraqiya Slate, Ayad Allawi, to discuss the political crisis. /End/

http://www.alliraqnews.com/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9182:breaking-news-ina-receives-letter-of-erbil-meeting-&catid=35:political&Itemid=2

• Upvote 8

This looks very serious for Maliki. It is going to be interesting to see how Maliki Houdini, gets out of this one!!! :lol: It might be the end of the magic tricks for Maliki.....we will see????

Go RV!!!

:):):)

• Upvote 2

Question.......what is the significance of "withdrawing confidence"? Does or should Maliki really care if "confidence is withdrawn" with respect to him? I guess what I'm saying is that it seems difficult to believe that having confidence withdrawn in of itself will motivate Maliki to have a change of heart and now agree to implement the Erbil agreement. Thoughts?

Question.......what is the significance of "withdrawing confidence"? Does or should Maliki really care if "confidence is withdrawn" with respect to him? I guess what I'm saying is that it seems difficult to believe that having confidence withdrawn in of itself will motivate Maliki to have a change of heart and now agree to implement the Erbil agreement. Thoughts?

Maliki couldn't give two camel patties.... jmo

Maliki couldn't give two camel patties.... jmo

I couldn't agree more. And as such, it makes it hard to believe that Maliki is going to discontinue "hiding behind the constitution" as he has been doing up to this point relative to the Erbil agreements. Hopefully, "withdrawing confidence" somehow has more significance than we think/realize.

• Upvote 1

A lot of countries are run by a Prime Minister who is nominated by a particular party and then has to put together a coalition of several parties to support him in his bid to be Prime Minister. These other parties are free to come and go as they please, more or less. If these other parties decide that they will no longer support Maliki and his party, they can "withdraw confidence" meaning the government under Maliki fails and folds forcing the parliment to appoint an interim government until national elections can be held. Most of the world doesn't have set dates for election. A very similar situation just occurred in the Netherlands and the coalition folded.

We in the U.S. know that we always will have an election on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November (that means the date has to be between the 2nd and the 8th inclusive) of even numbered years for at least all Congressmen and one-third of the Senators every election cycle and for the President and Vice President every other election cycle.

In my opinion, there is some good to have elections that follow a rough timeframe. Say country "X" has their national elections scheduled for tomorrow. Their term in office may be listed as "no more than 3 years" which means that by three years from tomorrow, country "X" has to have another election. But there is nothing is stopping that government from calling for elections in 2 years and 9 months. That means that the candidates in country "X" don't go on these 2-1/2 year election campaigns. Usually they have about 6 weeks of campaigning.

But our (US) government was based on the population being a bunch of farmers spread out hither and yon with no speedy communication. Our "election day" was set for a time after the harvest was in and the farmers could spend time considering for whom they should vote. That really isn't a problem anymore, but I am dead set against messing around with the Constitution.

So, yes, withdrawing confidence from Maliki would fold the GOI and make our wait potentially that much longer. Or maybe that much shorter. It's a craps shoot.

That's my two cents.

• Upvote 4

A lot of countries are run by a Prime Minister who is nominated by a particular party and then has to put together a coalition of several parties to support him in his bid to be Prime Minister. These other parties are free to come and go as they please, more or less. If these other parties decide that they will no longer support Maliki and his party, they can "withdraw confidence" meaning the government under Maliki fails and folds forcing the parliment to appoint an interim government until national elections can be held. Most of the world doesn't have set dates for election. A very similar situation just occurred in the Netherlands and the coalition folded.

We in the U.S. know that we always will have an election on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November (that means the date has to be between the 2nd and the 8th inclusive) of even numbered years for at least all Congressmen and one-third of the Senators every election cycle and for the President and Vice President every other election cycle.

In my opinion, there is some good to have elections that follow a rough timeframe. Say country "X" has their national elections scheduled for tomorrow. Their term in office may be listed as "no more than 3 years" which means that by three years from tomorrow, country "X" has to have another election. But there is nothing is stopping that government from calling for elections in 2 years and 9 months. That means that the candidates in country "X" don't go on these 2-1/2 year election campaigns. Usually they have about 6 weeks of campaigning.

But our (US) government was based on the population being a bunch of farmers spread out hither and yon with no speedy communication. Our "election day" was set for a time after the harvest was in and the farmers could spend time considering for whom they should vote. That really isn't a problem anymore, but I am dead set against messing around with the Constitution.

So, yes, withdrawing confidence from Maliki would fold the GOI and make our wait potentially that much longer. Or maybe that much shorter. It's a craps shoot.

That's my two cents.

Well said 429....In the states we call it a re-call...parliments call it with draw of confidence... It is really a great check and ballence system!!!GO RV!!!~~~

I couldn't agree more. And as such, it makes it hard to believe that Maliki is going to discontinue "hiding behind the constitution" as he has been doing up to this point relative to the Erbil agreements. Hopefully, "withdrawing confidence" somehow has more significance than we think/realize.

i may be mistaken, correct me if i am not right.

if they remove confidance that would cause early elections. in a parlimantry system i beleve no PM wants that.

I thought a vote of no confidence was like the US having a recall vote.