Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Kuwait - pay us, we sign off on Chpt VII

I have been saying the remaining issus with Kuwait did not have any effect on the RV and that they would not be resolved for some time.

I'm only human, Adam has made some interesting points in regards to Kuwaits impact on when Iraq could or would RV

I admit even after reading his posts and chats, I still was not sold from what I thought I knew about the Kuwait sitsuation and what still needed to be done.

But NOW I get it, and this artilce helps make it easier to see that Kuwait wants their money, and they want it now and they are acting like the little rich girl from charlie and the chocolate factory, or my kids when they were 2 throwing a fit in the middle of the store

If this is what it takes for Kuwait to sign off, then hopefully Iraq will have this done sooner, rather then later...could this be the reason that shabibi is with the Iraq delegation?

Maybe Adam can shed some light on this.

Iraq’s Isolation Draws To an End With Less of a Bang Than a Whimper

Kuwait Holds Out for a Better Deal

By BENNY AVNI, Special to the Sun | December 15, 2010

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/iraqs-isolation-at-end-draws-to-an-end-with-less/87169/'>http://www.nysun.com/foreign/iraqs-isolation-at-end-draws-to-an-end-with-less/87169/

Print Send Comment Share

UNITED NATIONS — Iraq’s return from the isolation into which it was cast by Saddam Hussein will be ended with less of a bang than a whimper here, as Vice President Biden chaired the proceedings but Kuwait held out out for a substantial payday.

The emirate of Kuwait blocked the American-led attempt to readmit Iraq, a budding democracy, into “the international fold” by ending restrictions imposed here during the last two decades as punishment for Saddam Hussein’s transgressions.

The Kuwaiti holdout was the only blemish on a day when, under the chairmanship of Vice President Biden and with as much pomp as possible, the United Nations Security Council posthumously endorsed Saddam’s removal from power. The council did so by lifting most of the punishment it had imposed on the Saddam regime in the lead-up to the 2003 Iraq war in several resolutions under Chapter 7, which allows nations to enforce the council’s will.

As one diplomat put it, the council in effect officially closed the book on President Bush 43’s war to liberate Iraq, but failed to end the 1991 war that his father, President Bush 41, led to liberate Kuwait.

Several diplomats here tell me Kuwait was hoping that the next government in Baghdad will give it an advance payment – as high as $20 billion –in exchange for agreeing to lift the outstanding Security Council Chapter 7 resolutions, which were imposed in the aftermath of Saddam’s 1990 invasion that led up to the first Gulf War.

Under the existing resolutions, Iraq pays 5% of its oil proceeds to Kuwait; it must clearly mark the border between the two countries and vow not to cross it; and it is required to locate and return persons and archives that have disappeared during the invasion and the consequent 1991 war.

Diplomats say that the two countries are negotiating how to lower Iraq’s payment to 2% of the oil proceeds. Kuwait also insists that the those missing in action and lost archives be returned, although most observers agree that they are unlikely ever to be found. The border issue has more to do with Kuwait’s past fears of Saddam than with its concerns about the future rulers of Baghdad.

Iraq’s foreign minister, Hoshyar Zebari, denied that Kuwait was demanding an advance payment. “Not true,” he told me. But several diplomats who spoke on condition of anonymity say they believe that Kuwait would only agree to end the outstanding disputes in exchange for Iraqi cash.

Mr. Zebari acknowledged that although the “technical issues” between the countries have mostly been resolved, the dispute with Kuwait remains. It is a “top challenge” for the government that Prime Minister-elect Malaki intends to present soon, Mr. Zebari told reporters here. “We need to address these issues promptly after the formation of the government,” he said.

Meanwhile the Security Council approved three American-backed resolutions, lifting a ban on Iraqi arms and approving its right to develop nuclear technology for civilian use; terminating United Nations supervision of the country’s economy; and officially closing the Oil for Food program.

France reverted to its role as spoiler by abstaining on the resolution that ended the troubled U.N.-based Oil for Food program. Several French officials and companies were implicated by an independent committee of inquiry into the program led by the former chairman of the Federal Bank, Paul Volcker.

Mr. Biden, who joked that his frequent Iraq visits along the years entitle him to citizenship there, told the council that “as a founding member of the United Nations, Iraq seeks and deserves the opportunity to resume its rightful role in the community of nations.” Although Mr. Biden ignored the role the previous administration played in overthrowing Saddam, he acknowledged in his speech that he believed that Iraq’s “best days are ahead.”

For now, however, Mr. Biden and other council members merely welcomed Iraq’s “return to the international fold,” as Britain’s undersecretary of foreign affairs, Alistair Burt, defined it.

“Today we close a dark chapter,” Mr. Zebari said, adding however that the dispute with “our brotherly neighbor Kuwait” leaves Iraq under chapter 7 and therefore denies it a membership in good standing at Turtle Bay.

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/iraqs-isolation-at-end-draws-to-an-end-with-less/87169

• Upvote 6

I/we do have something to easy the pain on the Kuwait issue that will come as a great relief to use investors.

As always the group I am with has some contacts here & there.

It is understood that the UNSC have just about had enough of Kuwait throwing there weight around, or as yet not officially announced.

“Trying to hold ransom to a UNSC resolution to justify a means to a financial gain”

Didn’t come from me.

Now we all know what Kuwait wants & yes they will probably get it but I can also tell you that there are a very large group of investment companies situated in Kuwait that have now lost patient with there own government to the bullish attitude to this resolution.

The other bit of Cheese I can offer is that Kuwait is absolutely certain & S**T scared that when Iraq pays them off or arranges via a new UNSC resolution that Kuwait will become second best when Iraq RV/RI, this is what it is really all about concerning Kuwait at this time

If I get more I will post it for you

Go RV

• Upvote 6

I/we do have something to easy the pain on the Kuwait issue that will come as a great relief to use investors.

As always the group I am with has some contacts here & there.

It is understood that the UNSC have just about had enough of Kuwait throwing there weight around, or as yet not officially announced.

“Trying to hold ransom to a UNSC resolution to justify a means to a financial gain”

Didn’t come from me.

Now we all know what Kuwait wants & yes they will probably get it but I can also tell you that there are a very large group of investment companies situated in Kuwait that have now lost patient with there own government to the bullish attitude to this resolution.

The other bit of Cheese I can offer is that Kuwait is absolutely certain & S**T scared that when Iraq pays them off or arranges via a new UNSC resolution that Kuwait will become second best when Iraq RV/RI, this is what it is really all about concerning Kuwait at this time

If I get more I will post it for you

Go RV

Good stuff, Thanks Z

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

France reverted to its role as spoiler by abstaining on the resolution that ended the troubled U.N.-based Oil for Food program. Several French officials and companies were implicated by an independent committee of inquiry into the program led by the former chairman of the Federal Bank, Paul Volcker.

I found this little tidbit most interesting. :huh:

Why don't they just call jg wentworth? It's my money and I want it now! If you are waiting on a structured cash settlement jg wentworth can get Kuwait there money now! Somebody give Kuwait the phone number for jg wentworth so Iraq can move on. Pas it to Kuwait through Joe Biden.

Ok ... that's funny!

And thanks for the post!

Hey remember they have a meeting today behind closed doors and then Iraq has a meeting tomorrow. If things are worked out today we might see an RV this weekend if not sometime before the end of the year. It would be nice to see what Iraq and Kuwait are going to be talking about today. Hhhhmmmmm.

• Upvote 1

Hey remember they have a meeting today behind closed doors and then Iraq has a meeting tomorrow. If things are worked out today we might see an RV this weekend if not sometime before the end of the year. It would be nice to see what Iraq and Kuwait are going to be talking about today. Hhhhmmmmm.

Wish I was a fly on that wall!! laugh.gif

Why don't they just call jg wentworth? It's my money and I want it now! If you are waiting on a structured cash settlement jg wentworth can get Kuwait there money now! Somebody give Kuwait the phone number for jg wentworth so Iraq can move on. Pas it to Kuwait through Joe Biden.

THANKS FOR THE LAUGH :D:D:D:D

Merry CHRISTmas everyone!!! B)

BRILLIANT !

I love it.........laugh.gif

H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S !!!!!

Edited by EBJNYC

LMAO! Why didn't we think of that before??!! HAHAHA!