Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

1 hour ago, nstoolman1 said:

The shooter was 4.4 miles away, a distance so great, the Earth’s rotation came into play

OMG, I absolutely give up. Refusing to admit the variables is unacceptable. Rotation is absurd, how the heck can you shoot a target so far away OVER THE HORIZON that you can't see it? Maybe I shouldn't ask. God knows what you will come up with next. 

• Haha 1

As I said earlier,  

The angle of the rifle’s barrel, coupled with shooting from a ridge above the target, accounted for the arc in the bullet’s trajectory, he said

That alone would negate the loss of vision due to the curve of the earth. Kinda like shooting from a roof top down to another roof top. 

I live next to a "Long Range Rifleman". (Sniper) 3 tours in Iraq, 5 years on the Sheriff's department Swat team.

I have seen him shoot stuff I can't see without a scope. There is alot that goes into shooting long distance. More that my brain wants to figure. I shoot stuff. I fix stuff. I reload stuff, and I know stuff. 

That long distance stuff is the stuff I don't want to know. 

• Sad 1
  • Pow! 3

13 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

That alone would negate the loss of vision due to the curve of the earth. Kinda like shooting from a roof top down to another roof top. 

Annnnnd, the chances of that happening are stunning. 

The spin of the earth alone would have moved the target 🎯 out of position in the 25 seconds of the flight of the round. A projectile one inch long flying through the air at just thousands of feet per second hitting a target on the ground (earth) moving at 25,000 miles per hour. Color me Hillbilly, but I ain't buying it.  Maybe it's one of those Majic bullets like the one they killed Kennedy with. 

Seriously though, the logistics of what you are saying is something only a Master Physicist with the abilities of Einstein could even hope achieve. 

However, I'm considering buying one of those high powered 50 caliber rifles and learn to shoot for sport.  I was a Marksman in the Marines and nearly broke the range record in Hawaii. Dropped one round on the last shot making my score 2 points below the record. Never really got over that. My fascination which these rifles came after I watched the movie SHOOTER.  Didn’t have $10,000 lying around for the rifle. Do now, just gotta convince the wife to let me take up such a costly hobby. 🤑

• Upvote 2

By the way, I'm not saying it's impossible. If there's one thing I've learned in 60 years is that when it comes to humanity nearly everything is possible. Simply depends on the amount of evert and energy one's willing to put into it. 

And a Clarification about the earth. I'm not so dogmatic as to suggest I'm absolutely correct. Not at all because the second thing I've learned about humanity is what we understand in a year will not be what we understand today. Things change people grow and hopefully their wisdom will grow too. 

All I'm saying about the shape of the earth is this. 

1st,

I absolutely believe God showed me that the earth is his Footstool. 

2nd 

I see enough flaws in ALL the evidence to warrant alternative theories. 

3rd 

The quintessential truth is something we most likely will never find this side of Eternity. The entirety of this debate is similar to faith in the Deity of Jesus. 

We only know what we are told. Everything else is faith. One way or another. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1