Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Students in 'MAGA' hats mock Native American after rally

This event is going to make these evil players pay DEARLY. Having lived in Kentucky and gotten my second divorce there I can assure you it's the last place on Earth you would want to do this to somebody. These people who violated the school and these children's rights and slander their name have no clue what's about to happen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:

I get more news on this website than I do on most .

I sooooooo know what you mean. I use Twitter to follow certain news sites that I trust and I only follow individuals of like minds. I post Very little on Twitter and that is why I don't get upset with Twitter. And believe me searching out legitimate news sites has truly opened my mind. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Nathan Phillips, who was ‘harassed’ by Covington Catholic MAGA teens, lied about being a Marine Combat vet during Vietnam war. Phillips was born in 1955. He claimed to have joined the military at 17. That puts him at 1972. The last Marine combat unit left Vietnam in 1971.
There is no such thing as a "Recon Ranger". Closest is the 75th Ranger Regiment Reconnaissance Company, established 1984. Way after 'Nam.
STILL BELIEVE THE LEFT'S PROPAGANDA ???????

https://cloverchronicle.com/2019/01/21/nathan-phillips-allegedly-lied-about-being-a-marine-combat-veteran-during-vietnam-war-according-to-reports/?fbclid=IwAR0GCYyjPdtAxLBQ58mXQfr-9TdWXHkjWV-cpv0kHLPT-f2E2Bx5hi2zs94

Don't pretend to be something you never were to draw attention to you or your cause.....It will always come back to haunt you and it just did in this case.

Karsten

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Well, Go figure....Had obama been in office he would have had a Beer Summit with the Chief and Black Hebrew what every they are or want to be.....Okay Black Racists that think they are better than other People in general.

Who does POTUS Trump invite.....The flippin White Catholic Kids that did do anything but stand there and look Smug according to the media.

https://en-volve.com/2019/01/22/president-trump-stands-up-for-covington-catholic-schools-students-says-he-will-invite-to-the-white-house/

I hope he doesn't serve McDonald's again.....Fly me in and I will be proud to grill them up some nice rib eye sandwich with potato salad or some Shrimp Po Boys with Remouldale and watch in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Karsten

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Karsten said:

His Veteran status is in question as well as being a Marine in Vietnam. 

He was in the Marines from 72 - 76, this will classify him as a Viet Nam "Era" Veteran not a Viet Nam Vet. We ceased combat ops in 73 and actually completely left the end of April 75, the evacuation of Saigon. The first thing I did after graduating boot camp on May 2nd, 75 was to start guarding Vietnamese Refugees at Camp Pendleton. The Viet Nam Era classification ended in early 76.

He claimed to be a recon Marine. The last recon Marines left Vietnam in June of 1971. All combat Marines were out of Vietnam by the middle of 1973. Only embassy Marines remained until 1975.

• Thanks 2

The MAGA Teens Knew They Would Get the Benefit of the Doubt
GQ Jay Willis,GQ 18 hours ago 
ed04413c64ee9a60f5c88ace9c51c342 There have never been consequences before. Why would there be consequences now?

From the moment Nick Sandmann planted himself in front of Nathan Phillips, surrounded by dancing, whooping Covington Catholic students who found the elderly drummer's very existence to be at once amusing and worthy of their scorn, the only thing more inevitable than the initial outrage was the tsunami of counter-outrage directed at anyone who had the audacity to be mad that MAGA-hat-wearing teenagers would mock a Vietnam War veteran. The campaign, which laundered Sandmann's statement through the usual sequence of right-wing media outlets, ended as all defenses of bigotry cloaked as even-handed appeals to civility do: with a pronouncement of judgment from the man who made his hat famous.

The speed with which Sandmann was able to marshal his posse of defenders, it seems, was not purely a product of the moral weight of his position. According to the Louisville Courier Journal, as video of the boys' leering faces raced across the Internet, Sandmann's family retained the services of RunSwitch PR, a Louisville-based media relations firm. (One of its founding partners is a longtime Republican operative, and currently serves as a conservative op-ed writer for the paper.) A spokesperson explained that the company is now "working with the family to ensure an accurate recounting of events."

None of the excuses made on behalf of these kids are capable of withstanding the slightest bit of intellectually-honest scrutiny. The presence of a few Black Israelites—a group that any resident of a major city learned long ago to ignore—has no bearing on whether it is acceptable for white kids to chant nationalist slogans at, of all people, a Native man. (Assertions to the contrary also betray a troubling tendency to conflate members of minority groups, as if all brown people are indistinguishable threats.) Nor do any of the purported "extended clips," disseminated by conservative journalists as if they were mini-Zapruder films, exonerate Sandmann and his friends. Some of them even serve as more damning indictments of the students' conduct.

Nevertheless, the Covington boys have already secured many of the hand-wringing statements of remorse they sought—especially from the pundit class, for whom enduring bad-faith accusations of "BIASED" and "FAKE NEWS" is more humiliating than kowtowing to the people who would make them. As usual, no one in America is more entitled to a presumption of innocence than white people.

Among the privileged, eliciting this sort of both-sides apologia is a tried-and-true method of evading responsibility for their actions. Also consider, though, the role of talking heads like Tucker Carlson, who reflexively crafted exculpatory narratives of their own and disseminated them to an online army of culture warriors. Consider the influence of Republican politicians, for whom defending anyone who shares their worldview—and obeying marching orders issued by the aforementioned talking heads—is now so important that their usual performative respect for troops disappeared altogether. Consider the invitations the kids have (maybe) already received to visit President Trump at the White House this week, and the TODAY Show interview that will air first thing Wednesday. Consider the fact that this family was able to hire a professional crisis management team to fight this battle, and that they even knew such a thing existed in the first place.

This centuries-old infrastructure of retrospective absolution does not manifest itself only when a powerful person needs it. Rather, the mere knowledge of its existence underlies how powerful people comport themselves every day. It is what enables them to stand on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and harass a man like Nathan Phillips, wholly unconcerned about potential consequences, knowing that they'll get as many opportunities to explain themselves as they need.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/maga-teens-knew-benefit-doubt-201154239.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Teen In MAGA Hat: 'I Had Every Right' To Stand There
HuffPost David Barden,HuffPost 9 hours ago 

Nick Sandmann, the MAGA hat-wearing teen at the center of Friday’s highly publicized stand-off with Native American activist Nathan Phillips in Washington, D.C., believes his actions were “not disrespectful.”

Footage of the Covington Catholic High School student ― and his Kentucky peers ― went viral following the incident, showing the group surrounding Phillips on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial as he performed an American Indian Movement song.

Sandmann, who is seen in the video smiling just inches away from the Native American elder’s face, told NBC’s Savannah Guthrie in an interview that aired Wednesday on the “Today” show that he “had every right” to stand before Phillips.

“My position is that I was not disrespectful to Mr. Phillips. I respect him, I would like to talk to him,” he said. “In hindsight, I wish we could have walked away and avoided the whole thing.”

Sandmann’s sit-down interview comes after an earlier statement was released on his behalf by a public relations firm in which he claimed to have been singled out by Phillips.

“I believed that by remaining motionless and calm, I was helping to [defuse] the situation,” it read. “I said a silent prayer that the situation would not get out of hand.” 

Sandmann told Guthrie that removing himself from the situation would have been better in hindsight, but he claimed he didn’t want to be “disrespectful” to Phillips.

“I was surrounded by a lot of people I didn’t know that had their phones out, had cameras, and I didn’t want to bump into anyone or seem like I was trying to do something,” Sandmann said.

Asked about his facial expression during the encounter, which many viewers have perceived as a smirk, Sandmann said it was a “smile.”

“I see it as a smile saying that this is the best you’re going to get out of me, you won’t get any further reaction of aggression, and I’m willing to stand here as long as you want to hit this drum in my face,” he said.

The viral incident has prompted nationwide outrage at both ends of the political spectrum, with the situation becoming only more complicated after more than an hour of footage from the encounter emerged Sunday.

In various interviews, Phillips said he had approached the teens from the school group in an attempt to thwart any potential violence between them and a group of several black men identifying themselves as Hebrew Israelites. He has said he heard the teens shouting “build the wall,” a reference to President Donald Trump’s long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“It was getting ugly, and I was thinking: ‘I’ve got to find myself an exit out of this situation and finish my song at the Lincoln Memorial,’” he told The Washington Post. “I started going that way, and that guy in the hat [Sandmann] stood in my way, and we were at an impasse.”

Sandmann denied blocking Phillips and said in a statement that he is “a faithful Christian and practicing Catholic, and I always try to live up to the ideals my faith teaches me ― to remain respectful of others and to take no action that would lead to conflict or violence.” 

In his “Today” interview, Sandmann claimed none of his classmates are racist and that he never heard any of them say “build the wall” during the incident. 

″We’re a Catholic school,” he told Guthrie. “They don’t tolerate racism. And none of my classmates are racist people.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-maga-hat-apos-had-042442204.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

WaPo Issues Correction after Falsely Labeling Nathan Phillips a Vietnam Vet

The National Review Jack Crowe,The National Review 17 hours ago 
nathan-phillips-1.jpg?fit=1024%252C597&ssl=1

The Washington Post issued a correction Tuesday after falsely describing the elderly Native American man whose confrontation with a group of high-school students went viral over the weekend as a veteran of the Vietnam War.

“Earlier versions of this story incorrectly said that Native American activist Nathan Phillips fought in the Vietnam War. Phillips served in the U.S. Marines from 1972 to 1976 but was never deployed to Vietnam,” reads the correction to the Sunday report titled, “‘It was getting ugly’: Native American drummer speaks on his encounter with MAGA-hat-wearing teens.”

Phillips initially told the Post and a number of other prominent media outlets that he was surrounded and harassed by a group of MAGA hat-wearing students from the all-male Covington High School in Kentucky while he was peacefully demonstrating near the Lincoln Memorial during the annual March for Life on Saturday. That account, which was supported by a partial and misleading video clip of the incident, went viral and led to the targeted harassment of the boys and their families.

Phillips, who conceded that he initiated the confrontation after the more complete video footage became available, also appears to have misled reporters about his military service, as he was described as a Vietnam veteran by Vogue and the Detroit Free Press, and, in an interview with CNN, he described himself as a “Vietnam-times veteran.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wapo-issues-correction-falsely-labeling-213148657.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

@Shabibilicious

You've just proven that you refuse to watch videos or read the information given from an alternative source. All you're interested in is seems to be false information from the fake news media Outlets. It is been proven Beyond a doubt by video evidence and other evidence from people who were there that these boys were waiting on a bus and did not approach anyone they were approached they were cussed out they were threatened. And yet you refuse to even look at the possibility that Yahoo nutjobs are lying to you. That is truly sad, I expected more out of you.

The teenager did have every right to stand there. He was standing there to begin with waiting on a bus to pick them up when they were approached by the black Hebrews and this wannabe Indian. They approached him, watch the videos. Learn something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

@Shabibilicious

You've just proven that you refuse to watch videos or read the information given from an alternative source. All you're interested in is seems to be false information from the fake news media Outlets. It is been proven Beyond a doubt by video evidence and other evidence from people who were there that these boys were waiting on a bus and did not approach anyone they were approached they were cussed out they were threatened. And yet you refuse to even look at the possibility that Yahoo nutjobs are lying to you. That is truly sad, I expected more out of you.

The teenager did have every right to stand there. He was standing there to begin with waiting on a bus to pick them up when they were approached by the black Hebrews and this wannabe Indian. They approached him, watch the videos. Learn something.

You didn't even read the articles I posted, they represent different sides of the story.....no bias on my part whatsoever.  Knee jerk reactions is how this whole mess got started in the first place.  The second article was completely about the student and his point of view, sans any judgement, brother.  And the last article was a correction of Mr. Phillips being referred to falsely as a Vietnam Vet.  

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 1

I Failed the Covington Catholic Test

Next time there’s a viral story, I’ll wait for more facts to emerge.

JAN 21, 2019

Writer based in Cincinnati
lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1548085539

REUTERS

Like many people who spend too much time on Twitter, I watched with indignation Saturday morning as stories began appearing about a confrontation near the Lincoln Memorial between students from Covington Catholic High School and American Indians from the Indigenous Peoples March. The story felt personal to me; I live a few miles from the high school, and my son attends a nearby all-boys Catholic high school. I texted him right away, ready with a lesson on what the students had done wrong.

“They were menacing a man much older than them,” I told him, “and chanting ‘Build the wall!’ And this smirking kid blocked his path and wouldn’t let him leave.” The short video, the subject of at least two-thirds of my Twitter feed on Saturday, made me cringe, and the smirking kid in particular got to me: His smugness, radiating from under that red maga hat, was everything I wanted my teenagers not to be.

“Where were they chanting about building the wall?” my son asked. His friends had begun weighing in, and their take was decidedly more sympathetic than mine. He wasn’t sure what to think, as he was hearing starkly different accounts from people he trusted. I doubled down, quoting from the profile of Nathan Phillips that The Washington Post had quickly published online, in which he said he’d been trying to defuse a tense situation. I was all-in on the outrage. How could the students parade around in those hats, harassing a man old enough to be their grandfather—a Vietnam veteran, no less?

James Fallows: The confrontation on the Mall

By Sunday morning, more videos had surfaced, and I started looking for the clip that showed them chanting support for the wall. I couldn’t find it, but I did find a confrontation more complicated than I’d first believed. I saw a few people yelling terrible insults at the students before Phillips approached, which cast an ugly pall over the scene. I saw Phillips approach the students; I had believed him when he said he’d intended his drumming to defuse the tension, but I also wondered how a group of high-school students could have gleaned that when he didn’t articulate it in a language they might understand.

I hated the maga hats some of the kids were wearing, their listless tomahawk chops, the way some of their chanting mocked Phillips’s. But I also saw someone with Phillips yelling at a few of the kids that his people had been here first, that Europeans had stolen their land. While I wouldn’t disagree, the scene was at odds with the reports that Phillips and those with him were attempting to calm a tense situation.

As I watched the longer videos, I began to see the smirking kid in a different light. It seemed to me that a wave of emotions rolled over his face as Phillips approached him: confusion, fear, resolve. He finally, I thought, settled on an expression designed to mimic respect while signaling to his friends that he had this under control. Observing it, I wondered what different reaction I could have reasonably hoped a high-school junior to have in such an unfamiliar and bewildering situation. I came up empty.

Read: Stop trusting viral videos

Let’s assume the worst, and agree that the boy was being disrespectful. That still would not justify the death threats he’s been receiving. It would not justify the harassment of the other Covington Catholic student who wasn’t even in Washington, D.C., but who was falsely identified as the smirker by some social-media users. Online vigilantes unearthed his parents’ address and peppered his family with threats all weekend long, even as they were trying to celebrate a family wedding, accusing them of raising a racist and promising to harm their family business.

The story is a Rorschach test—tell me how you first reacted, and I can probably tell where you live, who you voted for in 2016, and your general take on a list of other issues—but it shouldn’t be. Take away the video and tell me why millions of people care so much about an obnoxious group of high-school students protesting legalized abortion and a small circle of American Indians protesting centuries of mistreatment who were briefly locked in a tense standoff. Take away Twitter and Facebook and explain why total strangers care so much about people they don’t know in a confrontation they didn’t witness. Why are we all so primed for outrage, and what if the thousands of words and countless hours spent on this had been directed toward something consequential?

If the Covington Catholic incident was a test, it’s one I failed—along with most others. Will we learn from it, or will we continue to roam social media, looking for the next outrage fix? Next time a story like this surfaces, I’ll try to sit it out until more facts have emerged. I’ll remind myself that the truth is sometimes unknowable, and I’ll stick to discussing the news with people I know in real life, instead of with strangers whom I’ve never met. I’ll get my news from legitimate journalists instead of from an online mob for whom Saturday-morning indignation is just another form of entertainment. And above all, I’ll try to take the advice I give my kids daily: Put the phone down and go do something productive.

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

You didn't even read the articles I posted, they represent different sides of the story.....no bias on my part whatsoever.  Knee jerk reactions is how this whole mess got started in the first place.  The second article was completely about the student and his point of view, sans any judgement, brother.

GO RV, then BV

Oh but I did read your articles. I understand entirely and can clearly see the slant that attempts to make the boys still look like they're evil monsters. I'm sorry if you're reading comprehension skills do not allow you to see that. These boys are perfectly innocent of everything. The mistake that was made is it was done to a bunch of people from Kentucky, having lived there I guarantee you it's going to cost a lot of people a lot of money. Kentucky is a commonwealth, and as a commonwealth I can assure you from personal experience they apply the laws differently than everywhere else. So I guess it really doesn't matter what you want to think or what I think all is going to matter is the millions of dollars it is going to cost these people for what has happened.

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Oh but I did read your articles. I understand entirely and can clearly see the slant that attempts to make the boys still look like they're evil monsters. I'm sorry if you're reading comprehension skills do not allow you to see that. These boys are perfectly innocent of everything. The mistake that was made is it was done to a bunch of people from Kentucky, having lived there I guarantee you it's going to cost a lot of people a lot of money. Kentucky is a commonwealth, and as a commonwealth I can assure you from personal experience they apply the laws differently than everywhere else. So I guess it really doesn't matter what you want to think or what I think all is going to matter is the millions of dollars it is going to cost these people for what has happened.

I did nothing wrong this morning to you, the Catholic kids, or anybody else.....I simply posted articles in the proper thread, all with differing points of view.  Disagree with the articles if you must, but control your finger of indignation, or share it with somebody besides me.  Thanks.

GO RV, then BV  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

I did nothing wrong this morning to you, the Catholic kids, or anybody else.....I simply posted articles in the proper thread, all with differing points of view.  Disagree with the articles if you must, but control your finger of indignation, or share it with somebody besides me.  Thanks.

GO RV, then BV  

You did post articles, which is something I in the past have asked you to do. So forgive my righteous indignation, but I take this event in three different ways.

1st, this is an attack on children. My emotions and feelings about children are well documented here, and thus this event makes my blood boil.

2nd, this event is an attack on my faith, the Catholic Church, and your defense of all religions is also well-documented here. This is an attack on people supporting the belief that life begins at conception.

3rd, This  Is an attack on people who simply choose to wear an article of clothing which only the most insecure Among Us could feel such hatred and fear of. This is an attack on the president of the United States this an attack on the foundation of this great nation.

And sadly, I'm beginning to think there is no way out of the direction we are headed. We are on a highway traveling a hundred miles an hour towards a bridge that is no longer there, and there are no exit ramps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2