Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

News of air strikes near the Syrian-Iraqi border

yota691

Commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization "NATO" in Iraq Danny Forten

Rudowo - Erbil

NATO has played an important role in Iraq, where more than 700 of its trainers have been trained to train Iraqi forces so they can build professional discipline in the Iraqi army and create a good military development in Iraq, especially in the fight against terrorism. And on this subject, the network Rowoudao media meeting with the commander of the forces of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in Iraq, Danny Forten, in order to raise a range of topics of Kurdistan and Iraq, in which NATO can play a role. 

The following is the interview of the Rwandan media network: 

Rudao: Mr. Forten What is the last NATO mission in Iraq and Kurdistan?

Danny Fortin: Thank you so much for giving us this opportunity to talk about NATO's missions in Iraq. This task was identified about four months ago. Our goal is to advise the Iraqi Ministry of Defense, Office of National Security Adviser, Prime Minister and General Operations Center. We also train military school instructors and provide them with professional military education. This mission includes Baghdad and a number of other parts of Iraq. 

Ruudao: A section of Iraq has been destroyed. There are mines and bombs in many areas left behind by a war of intimidation. These mines and containers represent the main threat to citizens who want to return home. How does NATO help Iraqis to return to their areas?

Danny Forten: Iraqi security forces have done very good work. Such as a crushing defeat and the elimination of the caliphate. But the threat remains. The main reason for the outbreak of conflict still exists, we must know this, what do we provide? In fact, thanks to our proven history of providing expertise and expertise in training, training and rehabilitation in a number of countries, we can help the Iraqi army develop in many areas and become a professional force. 

RODAO: Well, you've trained more than 1,000 Iraqi soldiers to become military trainers in various military schools in Iraq. How do you help the Iraqi army prepare to face the possibility of another threat similar to what happened in June 2014? When the Islamic state launched its offensive.

Danny Forten: We recently started training Iraqi soldiers. We work with various branches of MOD. We start from military schools. We prepare military trainers. The number of them is still small, but because we are a complement to other efforts, we are working closely with the Ministry of Defense to prepare those trainers who will become future military trainers in schools. We are working to bring Iraq to a level where Iraqis are training their troops instead of resorting to foreigners, like us, to train their troops. This is the goal. Our mission is not to fight and fight, not to train in battlefields or to provide field advice. What we are doing is limited to providing training and training in military schools and colleges, to help the Iraqi army to be better and more professional. 

RODAO: Who are those you train? Are they Iraqis in Baghdad and the central and southern regions only, or are there trained trainers of the Peshmerga?

Danny Fortin: The NATO North Atlantic Council (NATO) has been ordered to exercise and train, and the orders are to directly train the institutions and forces supervised by the Iraqi government. So we only offer training to Defense Ministry forces. We have good coordination with all those parties that are training the Interior Ministry and other forces in Baghdad. But our mission is only to train the forces of the Ministry of Defense. 

In a report to Congress earlier this month, a Pentagon official said that despite the improved security situation in Iraq, the Iraqi security forces are still weak in some important areas, including intelligence, what is your assessment of the Iraqi security services ?

Danny Forten: Fighting war in complex circumstances, needs capabilities, needs a trained force. The best information available here is people information. People's information is important and valuable, and we are working to provide advice to ensure that we build up a capable force based on our training, and to build a very effective military force. 

In his latest statement, the Secretary-General of the United Nations stated that: "Saif cells provide money and survival through a range of terrorist activities, such as forceful people, kidnapping, taking hostages to make money, and other criminal acts that continue so far. To what extent does your training contribute to the Iraqi security forces in the face of this?

Danny Fortin: I'll talk about two points. First, we offer advice on security sector reform. There are a range of things in the Iraqi security services must be changed and updated to keep up with the times. The second point is that we want to be sure to build an army that will be able to help him and save him. An army that will be capable, more professional in carrying out completely different military operations, has had to implement it during the last four years. , And are working to promote the military again, they are able to exploit the gaps and weaknesses in the Iraqi security forces easily, including the information vacuum. In areas where a certain power limit ends and other power limits begin. Our goal is to have a more capable force working side by side with all other Iraqi security forces. We are here to achieve this goal.

RODAOUDO: After the fall of the Islamic state, what is your assessment of the threat of intimidation, especially the remaining militants in a number of Syrian areas and Anbar in Iraq? 

Danny Fortin: As I mentioned earlier, the danger of a new reverberation still exists. Different numbers are published for the reactive residue. I see that calling up an organization learns from its mistakes. He is in Iraq. That is why we can not take this fact, the fact that it is still a threat to this country. Can carry out attacks in a number of areas. We should also know that he is carrying out illegal activities in some areas to earn money and revenue. I believe that if the root causes of the conflict are not resolved, it can be re-emerging in a different form and form. The danger of his armed emergence is so far. So, with my comrades, we are trying to train and train the Iraqi forces to a good level, and we will continue to be able to prepare a force that is ready to face any emergency event.

RODAO: The Kurdistan Regional Government and the Iraqi government are talking about the return of the Peshmerga forces to the disputed areas, especially Kirkuk and its outskirts. Do you find this a good idea? 

DANI FORTEN: Well, I can not talk about that, because it's outside my responsibility. As I said before, we focus on Baghdad and its sides and advise the military schools in Baghdad. So, I can not talk about what's going on in other areas. 

RODAOUDO: Well, how is the relationship between NATO, the Kurdistan Regional Government and the Peshmerga forces? 

Danny Fortin: I have nothing to do with this. My duty is in Baghdad and I work with the Ministry of Defense. I have nothing to do with other Iraqi security forces. 

RODAOUDO: Well, what is NATO's view of the Peshmerga forces that fought fiercely for more than four years, while fighting terrorism is part of NATO's mission?

Danny Forten: In this way I will answer your question. Our mission is to train the Iraqi army and build a strong army. What we know them, can be transferred by the Iraqi government to other forces. I urge the Iraqi government to share what I have learned from a war of war with neighbors. 

RODAO: Any neighbors? What do you mean by neighbors? 

Danny Forten: All the neighbors, the countries of the region that want to receive the lessons learned by Iraq from a war, do not include my mission to make an assessment of other Iraqi forces. What I can say specifically is that the best thing is that all forces are ready to face any kind of challenge, such as the emergence of armed or other supporters after a reorganization. 

RODAO: What is the future of NATO's mission, while there are Iraqi institutions and forces demanding the departure of foreign troops? Among them is the popular crowd that demands this?

Danny Forten: We have a very good relationship with the Ministry of Defense and the Iraqi government. We are here to advise. Our teams recently started lecturing in military schools and advising the Ministry of Defense. What I have touched in the near future is the opportunity to prepare us for a number of coaches. We will continue our long-term partnership with Iraq, and this partnership can be embodied in several ways. Iraq is an important NATO ally, as is the case with Iraq. Iraq can benefit from NATO training and curricula in the future as well. 

RODAO: Is there a threat to NATO in Baghdad?

Danny Forten: As a commander, I always keep my troops safe. Our missions touch both civilians and military. In all NATO countries. Always ensure that all standards and procedures have been taken to protect our troops so that we can perform our duties, in cities and in military bases. 

RUDAOUD: How is the security situation in Iraq, especially in Baghdad where you work? 

DANI FORTEN: According to Masadari, there is no threat within the city of Baghdad, and we are working in a way that nobody knows where we are and we will be as secret as possible. I do not want to claim that we are a big force, but we are issuing only a few signs of our presence in the city. We go only to safety that we must go to for the purpose of conducting training or counseling. 

RODAOUDO: Well, I'd like to go to the question about Syria. The war against Da'ash is coming to an end in many parts of Syria. How does NATO view the new situation in Syria?

Danny Forten: Let me tell you that our efforts are complementary to the counter-alliance efforts of Daash. We are working in coordination with the international coalition. I am monitoring the situation in all of Iraq and Syria. 
But the situation in Syria is not part of my mission, so I can not talk about NATO's position on the situation in Syria, except what is available on the websites, and statements made by NATO in the recent period. 

RODAOUDO: Well, the Islamic state in both Iraq and Syria fought for four years, both the troops and the citizens. What is your assessment as a NATO commander of the resurgence of armed movements in the region?

Danny Fortin: This is not within my responsibility, so I can not talk about it, but as I mentioned earlier, there is a danger. All indications are that a supporter turns into another armed movement if the necessary measures are not taken and are not neutralized if we allow them to move freely. They would cause a major problem for this country and for the region as well. 

RODAO: Will you continue to stay in Baghdad and its outskirts or will you move to other parts of Iraq to train more security forces?

Danny Fortin: No, my job is to train the Iraqi army in and around Baghdad, and there is also the opportunity for Iraqi officers and military ranks to take part in training courses outside Iraq, in NATO military institutions and schools or NATO member states. Which we can not provide here, so it is better to travel specific people out of Iraq for a while, to join courses lasting six months or a year, and after specialization, they return to Iraq and translate the information they obtained into actions in the Ministry of Defense and Iraqi security forces. 

RODAOU: But the great war against the Da'ash took place in Kurdistan, and the Peshmerga had the main role in a daunting defeat. What will you do to train the Peshmerga forces and support them to fight terrorism? While you now are stuck with Baghdad alone?

Danny Fortin: A number of members continues to counter the international coalition Daesh, the training of the Peshmerga forces, and this does not fall within the functions of NATO in Iraq, so I do not provide training for the Peshmerga forces or any force not under the direct supervision of the Iraqi Ministry of Defense. 

RODAOUD: So you're limited to Baghdad alone? 

Danny Forten: That's right. We are a small force, fewer than 500 soldiers. We are now focusing on the areas I mentioned. 
If the Iraqi government wants the future, the NATO to provide training outside the areas currently settle down where, we will evaluate the that request, and it depends on the support and active participation of the Iraqi government, it should also be pointed out that the security and other matters necessary to be able to work well. I return to say that we are a small force and that our mission is not combat, but only education and training. We do not come to Iraq with heavy weapons and equipment.

RUDAO: During your presence in Iraq, since 2017, how many have you trained? 

Danny Forten: The number is small. Because the first task was assigned to us in October 2018, in 2017 there were only seven elements of NATO in Iraq, they were part of a team to train Iraqi soldiers, was a mixed team of military and civilian elements, who were preparing reports on activities related to the training of the Iraqi army and advise Or suggest consultative formulas for the NATO leadership, on what NATO could do in Iraq. Therefore, before October 2018 we did not train a large number of Iraqi soldiers. 

RODAO: How do Iraqi forces deal with NATO leaders who train them in camps?

Danny Fortin: What touched me, and touch panels, is that the Iraqi leadership agree that our mission is different from the work of the Allies, we do not force fighting alongside Iraqi forces in the war fronts or provide them with weapons, we're only transfer our expertise and our experiences of the Iraqi army, and we come With experts from different countries to train Iraqi soldiers, so we have had a great opportunity to work so far, and the generals we talk to constantly, we welcome our work and support and support what we offer them. 

RUDAOUD: Thank you very much to the NATO commander in Baghdad, Danny Fortin ...

Danny Forten: Thank you also.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

129697.jpg?width=750&&height=375

2019/03/31 15:09
  • Number of readings 37
  • Section: Iraq
  •  

Iraq participates in the NATO Strategic Partnership Conference in Jordan

BAGHDAD / MESSALA: Iraq participated Sunday, March 31, 2019, in the NATO Conference on Strategic Military Partnership, hosted by the Jordanian Armed Forces. 

"The conference was held in cooperation with NATO, in the presence of 241 participants representing 51 partner countries and members," the Defense Ministry said in a statement received by the Ministry of Defense. 

He pointed out that "the commander of the Infantry School Brigadier General Dhurgam Zuhair Fakhri like Iraq at the conference, where this is the first time that Iraq participates in such conferences held by NATO." 

"The role of the Iraqi army and its capabilities, as ordered by the Infantry School Brigadier General Dhargham Zuhair, stressed the need to combat extremist ideas and prevent a return to Iraq."

For his part, the participants praised the role of "the Iraqi army and the importance of retraining and rehabilitation of the Iraqi army and the start of relations and gradually to be Iraq one of the most important partners within the countries that are overseas to the alliance."

The obelisk
http://almasalah.com/ar/news/167689/العراق-يشارك-بمؤتمر-الشراكة-الاستراتيجية-لحلف-الناتو-في-الاردن

• Upvote 3

• yota691 changed the title to NATO announces its continued training of Iraqi forces and Peshmerga for the next four years

NATO announces its continued training of Iraqi forces and Peshmerga for the next four years

Security | 01:59 - 08/06/2019

Baghdad - Mawazine News 
NATO forces announced that it will continue to train Iraqi forces and Peshmerga for the next four years. 
"The alliance is planning to train the Peshmerga and Iraqi forces for the next four years to prevent the re-emergence of a militant organization," said Danny Fortin, head of NATO forces in Iraq. 
Fortin said that "nearly 500 trainers and advisers are in Iraq to provide assistance and strengthen security in order to improve the capabilities of security forces to maintain the security of the country," noting that "tensions between America and Iran will not affect the functions of NATO forces stationed in Iraq."

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• yota691 changed the title to Abdul Mahdi to NATO Secretary: Iraq can not cause harm to its brothers and neighbors
Release date:: 2019/17 11:37 • 147 read times
Abdul Mahdi to NATO Secretary: Iraq can not cause harm to its brothers and neighbors
Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi received in his official office Tuesday morning, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and his accompanying delegation, which consists of the Supreme Commander of NATO forces in Europe, and Assistant Secretary-General of the Alliance and the commander of the mission in Iraq.
The Prime Minister said during the meeting, according to a statement to his office received (Euphrates News) a copy of it, "Iraq is moving in the right direction in all areas and is witnessing a clear stability, expressing thanks to NATO for help in the fight against ISIS and defeat."
"The government has a clear vision of solutions and to meet internal and external challenges and we work hard for the rule of law and confining arms to the state," the prime minister said. "Our balanced policy serves the stability of Iraq and all the countries of the region." Iraq hurt its brothers and neighbors. "
The Secretary-General praised the development and improvement of civilian situations and manifestations, and expressed support for Iraq's balanced policy as a key balancing factor in the region.
"NATO, which works with the approval and supervision of the Iraqi government and its sovereign decisions, is a partner and supporter of Iraq, its sovereignty and the unity of its people, and the balanced and wise policy of the Iraqi government," he said. Iraqi security forces and develop their capabilities and strengthen military and security institutions
  • Upvote 2

41835.jpg?watermark=w4

NATO: Iraq is a key balance in the region

September 17, 2019 - 6:59

Number Of Hits: 27

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Tuesday that nudity has become a key balancing factor in the region, declaring support for the unity of its people and the balanced and wise policy of the Iraqi government. "Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi received in his official office this morning, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and his accompanying delegation, which consists of the Supreme Commander of NATO forces in Europe, and the Assistant Secretary," a statement from Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi's office said. General of the Alliance and the Commander of the Mission in Iraq. ” The statement quoted Abdul Mahdi as saying, "Iraq is moving in the right direction in all areas and is witnessing a clear stability, expressing thanks to NATO for helping fight and defeat ISIS," noting that "the government has a clear vision of solutions and to meet internal and external challenges and work hard for the rule of law and arms inventory At the hands of the State. ” "Our balanced policy serves the stability of Iraq and all the countries of the region and we are acting responsibly towards the current regional crisis to preserve the interests of the peoples of the region and its countries," he said. For his part, praised the Secretary-General of NATO, "the development and improvement of civilian situations and manifestations," expressing "support for Iraq's balanced policy as a key balance in the region." He stressed that "NATO, which works with the approval and supervision of the Iraqi government and its sovereign decisions partner and support for Iraq, sovereignty and unity of its people and the balanced and wise policy pursued by the Iraqi government," noting that "ISIS has done harm to all the peoples of the world and must eliminate its sources and financial and military capabilities, and NATO is doing the task Training and developing Iraqi security forces and strengthening military and security institutions. ” For his part, praised the Secretary-General of NATO, "the development and improvement of civilian situations and manifestations," expressing "support for Iraq's balanced policy as a key balance in the region." He stressed that "NATO, which works with the approval and supervision of the Iraqi government and its sovereign decisions partner and support for Iraq, sovereignty and unity of its people and the balanced and wise policy pursued by the Iraqi government," noting that "ISIS has done harm to all the peoples of the world and must eliminate its sources and financial and military capabilities, and NATO is doing the task Training and developing Iraqi security forces and strengthening military and security institutions. ” For his part, praised the Secretary-General of NATO, "the development and improvement of civilian situations and manifestations," expressing "support for Iraq's balanced policy as a key balance in the region." He stressed that "NATO, which works with the approval and supervision of the Iraqi government and its sovereign decisions partner and support for Iraq, sovereignty and unity of its people and the balanced and wise policy pursued by the Iraqi government," noting that "ISIS has done harm to all the peoples of the world and must eliminate its sources and financial and military capabilities, and NATO is doing the task Training and developing Iraqi security forces and strengthening military and security institutions. ”

https://sumer.news/ar/news/41686/الناتو-العراق-عامل-توازن-أساسي-في-المنطقة

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Abdul Mahdi: Iraq can not cause harm to his brothers and neighbors

Abdul Mahdi: Iraq can not cause harm to his brothers and neighbors
Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi
 17 September 2019 03:46 PM

BAGHDAD - The Iraqi Prime Minister received on Tuesday NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and his accompanying delegation, which includes the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe, the Assistant Secretary General of the Alliance and the Commander of the Mission in Iraq.

Adel Abdul-Mahdi, according to a statement issued by the Information Office of the Prime Minister, that Iraq is moving in the right direction in all areas and is witnessing a clear stability.

The Prime Minister stressed that Iraq's balanced policy serves its stability and all the countries of the region, noting that it is acting responsibly towards the current regional crisis to preserve the interests of the peoples of the region and its countries, and Iraq can not cause harm to its brothers and neighbors.

The Iraqi Prime Minister's Office issued a statement on Sunday,  denying what some media circulated  about the use of its territory to attack Saudi oil facilities by drones.

He added that the government has a clear vision of solutions and to meet internal and external challenges, and is working hard for the rule of law and the confinement of arms in the hands of the state.

Highly recommended  In the meantime, it is worth noting:  Ø £ شخاصâ ???? Ø ??  In addition, it is worth mentioning that it is worth mentioning that it is worth mentioning that it is worth mentioning that it is worth mentioning that it is worth mentioning that it is worth mentioning that it is worth mentioning that it is worth noting: ? Ø ??  For the first time in the world,  This is the first time that you have been able to do so.

For his part, the Secretary-General of NATO, to the development and improvement of civilian situations and manifestations in Iraq, stressing his support for Iraq's balanced policy as a key balancing factor in the region.

He explained that NATO, which works with the approval and supervision of the Iraqi government and sovereign decisions partner and support for Iraq and its sovereignty, and the unity of its people and the balanced and wise policy pursued by the Iraqi government.

On Sunday evening, the Prime Minister received a phone call from US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, during which they discussed the upcoming meetings between officials of the two countries, stressing that the mission of Iraq is to maintain its security and stability, and to prevent the use of its territory against any neighboring, sister or friendly country.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

• yota691 changed the title to Iraq seeks to strengthen relations with the European Union and NATO

Iraq seeks to strengthen relations with the European Union and NATO

Baghdad / morning

The Foreign Ministry discussed with the European Union Mission in Baghdad mechanisms to strengthen relations between the two sides, while the Iraqi ambassador in Canada with the NATO mission reviewed joint cooperation in military areas.
A statement issued by the ministry received a copy of the morning, that «Assistant Head of the Department of International Organizations and Conferences Minister Plenipotentiary Hilal, received the deputy head of the European Union mission in Baghdad Jean Bernard Bulvan, and political adviser to the mission Bob Marfield, at the ministry.
He added that «the two parties discussed ways of joint coordination between Iraq and the European Union within the framework of international work and coordination and a common understanding between Iraq and the European Union on issues presented in international organizations and mechanisms to strengthen the relationship with the EU mission in Baghdad and overcome all obstacles».
The statement pointed out that «Assistant Head of the Department briefed on the distinct relationship between Iraq and international organizations and the importance of these organizations and specialized agencies, especially those working in Iraq, an important role in the process of reconstruction and combating terrorism and support the Government of Iraq in the implementation of national programs and achieve sustainable development goals In another statement to the ministry, «Ambassador of the Republic of Iraq to Canada, Wadih Betty met with the new commander of the NATO mission for training missions in Iraq, General Jenny Cargnan at the Canadian Ministry of Defense building, during the meeting discussed the security situation in Iraq and facilitate the work of the mission NATO training in Iraq and ways to strengthen joint cooperation in military fields between the two countries ».
The general praised, according to the statement, the «friendly relations between Iraq and Canada», stressing that «the success of the mission is a success for Iraq as well».
For his part, the ambassador thanked Canada and UNAMI for its supportive positions to Iraq and the security forces, stressing the importance of deepening cooperation in the security and military field.
  • Upvote 3

Any excuse to keep foreign forces on their soil indefinitely. Solely one purpose to keep the installed puppet government in power while their oil resources are fleeced. While Billion$ sold in oil exports, Iraq has done nothing to show for the betterment of its people. Tough to get fleas off their backs while the dog got blood.     

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• yota691 changed the title to Al-Ghanimi receives the head of the NATO mission in Iraq

Al-Ghanimi receives the head of the NATO mission in Iraq

Baghdad / morning

Army Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Othman Al-Ghanmi said during his meeting with the head of the NATO mission in Iraq, Gen. Jardin Cardenia, that the Ministry of Defense will provide all support and encouragement in order to further enhance cooperation, partnership and coordination between
Sides. 
"Al-Ghanimi, bid farewell to the head of the NATO mission in Iraq, General Danny Fortin, wishing him success and success in his work," a ministry statement said.
Next".
The statement added that "the Chief of Staff praised the work of the mission during the previous period, which added a lot of capabilities and expertise to our security forces of all kinds."
For his part, General Danny Fortin, according to the statement, "pleased with the time he spent the head of the mission in Iraq and the establishment of strong relations with commanders and officers will remain firm
 he have".
The statement pointed out that "Al-Ghanimi received General Jenny Cardenia, the first woman to assume this position (head of NATO mission 
in Iraq)". 
"I wish you success and success in your next work. In turn, we will provide you with support and encouragement to sustain enhanced cooperation, partnership and coordination between the two countries," he said.
Sides. "
  • Like 1

Release date:: 2019/11/26 17:04  22 times read
Al-Shammari discusses with NATO the arming and training of Iraqi forces
BAGHDAD: Defense Minister Najah al-Shammari discussed with NATO's new commander in Baghdad, arming and training Iraqi forces.
The Defense Ministry said in a statement received (Euphrates News) a copy, that "Shammari met today Commander of the joint forces in Naples, General James Fogo and the head of the NATO mission in Iraq, Gen. Jenny Cardinia and their accompanying delegation, during which they discussed joint cooperation in the field of training, armament and capacity ".
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• yota691 changed the title to Iraq and America discuss cooperation in the fields of training and armament

Iraq and America discuss cooperation in the fields of training and armament

Baghdad / morning 

Defense Minister Najah al-Shammari discussed with US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mark Millie on Wednesday cooperation in training, arming and capacity building. In a statement received by Al-Sabah, the Ministry of Defense said that al-Shammari met with Milli and his accompanying delegation. Meanwhile, Army Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Usman al-Ghanmi welcomed the commander of the Joint Forces in Naples, Gen. James Fogo, and the head of the NATO mission in Iraq, Gen. Jenny Cardenia. Al-Ghanmi said, according to a second ministry statement:

• yota691 changed the title to NATO Secretary: Divergence is normal

NATO Secretary: Divergence is normal

NATO Secretary: Divergence is normal

02 December 2019 05:27 PM
Direct: NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg believes that there are natural differences among NATO members on some issues.

In comments with CNBC on Monday, the NATO secretary said the alliance members do not agree on all issues at times.

The comments of the NATO secretary come a day before the start of the military alliance summit, which begins Tuesday in London to celebrate the 70th anniversary.

The comments and the upcoming summit coincide with a dispute between NATO member states amid French allegations that the military alliance's performance is stalled in exchange for Turkey defending its role.

"At the same time, NATO's strength comes despite the differences we have seen throughout our history," Stoltenberg said.

French President Emmanuel Macron said NATO was suffering from a "clinical death" while Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan questioned whether Macron's mind had also died, asking for an examination.

The secretary of the military alliance said the divergent views on NATO's presence reflect the fact that we are 29 allies with different political leaders from both sides of the Atlantic.

"The reality is that we are doing more together now than we have done in many years."

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

International coalition cuts operations in Iraq "for security reasons"

January 04, 2020

Plane of the coalition forces heading towards Iraq

Plane of the coalition forces heading towards Iraq

The international coalition to fight ISIS decided to reduce its military operations in Iraq "for security reasons", in the wake of the American strike that targeted the commander of the "Quds Force" of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, Qassem Soleimani, and the deputy head of the Popular Mobilization Authority Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis in Baghdad on Thursday, according to a US military official told AFP. Saturday.

"We will conduct limited operations against ISIS with our partners as we mutually support our efforts to protect our forces," the official said.

He added that "security and defense measures have been strengthened at Iraqi bases hosting the coalition forces."

The decision came on the heels of an American drone strike Thursday that targeted Soleimani, the engineer and other militia leaders.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed that Soleimani was planning an imminent act threatening US citizens when he was killed in the raid.

A spokesman for the international coalition denied at dawn on Saturday, carrying out an air strike near the Taji area, north of Baghdad, after news reported by Iraqi media about the killing of a prominent leader in the popular crowd with his brother and five of his companions in an air strike.

https://www.alhurra.com/a/التحالف-الدولي-يخفض-عملياته-في-العراق-لأسباب-أمنية-/527858.html

• Upvote 1

• yota691 changed the title to International coalition cuts operations in Iraq "for security reasons"

NATO calls for a meeting amid fears of an escalation in the Middle East

NATO holds an extraordinary meeting on the US-Iranian crisis

January 06, 2020

NATO calls for a meeting amid fears of an escalation in the Middle East

Send via media

Print the article

NATO will hold an extraordinary meeting, on Monday, at the ambassadorial level to discuss the crisis between the United States and Iran, a NATO spokesman told AFP.

"The secretary general of the alliance, Jens Stoltenberg, decided to hold a meeting of NATO ambassadors after he discussed the matter with the allies," the spokesman said in an e-mail received by AFP.

On Sunday, US President Donald Trump announced that the United States would not leave Iraq before paying the cost of its military bases there, threatening to impose sanctions on Baghdad "they had never seen before".

On Sunday, the Iraqi parliament called on the government to "end the presence of any foreign forces" on its soil by initiating a "cancellation of the request for assistance" submitted to the international community to fight ISIS.

These developments come after the killing of the commander of the Iranian Quds Force, Qassem Soleimani, accompanied by the leader of the Hashd, Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis, in a US raid near Baghdad airport on Friday.

https://www.alhurra.com/a/الناتو-اجتماع-استثنائي-الأزمة-إيران-أميركا-سليماني/528111.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• yota691 changed the title to NATO holds an extraordinary meeting on the US-Iranian crisis

Iraq reveals the mechanism for the exit of foreign combat forces from the country

Iraq reveals the mechanism for the exit of foreign combat forces from the country
Iraqi Army-Archives
 January 06, 2020 2:51 PM

Mubasher: The spokesman of the Commander-in-Chief of the Iraqi Armed Forces revealed on Monday the details of the mechanism intended for the exit of combat forces from Iraqi territory.

Major General Abdul Karim Khalaf said, according to the Iraqi News Agency (INA), that the decision voted by the House of Representatives and the mechanism prepared by the government provides for the exit of combat forces from Iraqi territory and issues of air support.

Khalaf added that the issues of equipment, armament and logistical support remain, indicating that understandings are underway with the international coalition forces represented by NATO and the United States of America.

And, between the two notes that were previously filed with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 2014, they included helping Iraqi forces fight ISIS terrorist gangs.

The spokesman for the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces explained that after the recent deviation and the individual decisions taken by the international coalition, Iraq considered that these conflicts might make it a battlefield, indicating that accordingly, Iraqi forces should be relied upon to fight ISIS.

Khalaf pointed out that the government wants to continue support in training and armament issues, stressing that there is no memo but a mechanism that is prepared for the purpose of understanding with combat forces to get out of Iraqi territory.

Yesterday, Sunday, the Iraqi Council of Representatives voted on a parliamentary decision binding the government to end the presence of foreign forces in the country.

• Upvote 2

12 countries whose forces are in Iraq .. Will it be covered by the parliament’s decision?

Political | 03:41 - 06/01/2020

Follow-up - Mawazine News
The official authorities in Baghdad do not provide any information about the size of the foreign military presence on Iraqi soil, but partial data and statistics indicate that there are more than 17 thousand foreign soldiers representing 12 countries, distributed among a number of provinces of the country, most of whom exercise Its missions are within the framework of the international coalition to fight the terrorist organization ISIS.
Observers are currently asking questions about the possibility of all concerned countries to respond to the parliament’s decision, which obliges the Iraqi government to remove foreign forces from the country and prevent them from using the local airspace for any reason.
According to statistics conducted by "The Independent Arabia", based on information from reliable sources and official data, there are about 8000 American soldiers, counselors and trainers in Iraq, who are currently deployed in 3 military bases, after they evacuated a fourth base a few days ago, they were occupying part of it.

The largest share for Americans
The most important American military presence is currently concentrated within the Anbar province, which is predominantly Sunni, as the United States forces occupy large parts of the Ain al-Assad and Progress bases.
Private sources say that the American forces made fundamental changes to the infrastructure in the two bases, which included preparing new shelters and runways, allowing large aircraft to land and take off.
The third site of American interest is the Qayyara air base near the city of Mosul, where the United States maintains a military force of about a thousand soldiers, to protect a number of advisers who oversee the training of Iraqi counterterrorism forces.
In practice, there is no longer an American military presence in any other location, inside the Arab parts of Iraq, except for the vicinity of the Washington Embassy building in Baghdad, after the recent developments, especially the assassination of the deputy head of the Popular Mobilization Committee, Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, and the commander of the Quds Force in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Qassem Soleimani.
The American forces had evacuated about 200 military personnel from a base in Balad, north of Baghdad, after being targeted by the resistance factions during the past few days.

Iranian presence
If the American forces possess the largest number of foreign soldiers in Iraq, Iran comes second in the number of its military as security and military advisers.
The Iranian military presence in Iraq is surrounded by great secrecy, as these forces avoid appearing in public for any reason, and all their movements are carried out with the PMF, and the Iranians do not occupy private camps.
However, many Iranian fighters can be observed during the liberation war against the terrorist organization ISIS.
The Iranians say they are not fighting directly on the front lines, but rather providing military planning and command advice to the PMF.

What does Turkey do in Iraq?
The third foreign military presence in Iraq at the level of size belongs to the Turkish forces, which are concentrated in one area within the borders of the Nineveh Governorate, and its center is the city of Mosul.
Basically about 700 Turkish soldiers are deployed in the area of Bashiqa, Nineveh, but they receive steady supplies from a continuous communication line, which is maintained by about 300 soldiers, which raises the number of Turkish soldiers on most days of the year to a thousand.
The tasks of the Turkish forces in Iraq are not known precisely, and it appears to Baghdad closer to an occupying power, which jumped into the lands of a neighboring country due to the military collapse in the country in 2014, when ISIS invaded a third of the Iraqi lands.
Ankara says its forces are present to secure its border side from the ISIS threat, but has announced a different mission after the terrorist organization's threat has disappeared, of training 3,000 Sunni fighters from the city of Mosul, within the Iraqi police forces.

French and British
statistics for "Independent Arabia" indicate that the French forces occupy about 400 soldiers in Iraq, within the international coalition forces, most of whom are concentrated on the northern side of the country.
Part of this force manages a missile battery that provided support services to Iraqi forces in battles in Nineveh and Anbar provinces against ISIS, while the second part is busy pursuing extremists who hold French citizenship in Iraq and Syria.
British forces, too, have a similar number, mostly stationed in the Iraqi capital and in the Kurdistan region, whose main mission is to support the operations of the international coalition against the terrorist organization ISIS.

The Russians are far away from the camps
Informed sources say that Russia is currently deploying about 200 experts, advisors and military personnel in Iraq, within the framework of the four-way coordination agreement that also includes Syria and Iran.
The sources confirm that the Russian military does not deploy in any combat camps, but rather resides in special facilities affiliated with the Russian embassy in Baghdad and the Kurdistan region.

A different mission for the Italian forces
The Italian forces may have the largest European military presence in Iraq with 450 soldiers, but the nature of the tasks undertaken by this force is different, as its presence is concentrated near the Mosul Dam, which is at constant risk of collapse, so the task of maintaining it was assigned to an Italian company.
Therefore, most of the tasks of the Italian force in Iraq are focused on protecting the personnel of the engineering company that maintains the Mosul Dam.

Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, Australia, Sweden and Norway
There are also about 750 military personnel from Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, Australia, Sweden and Norway, and their tasks are limited to assigning the tasks of the international coalition against ISIS.
Observers believe that the decision of the House of Representatives, binding on the Iraqi government to remove foreign forces from the country, will include all the forces that came to this country within the framework of the international coalition for the war against ISIS, as the tasks of this alliance declined with the decline of the risks posed by terrorist groups.
However, in the case of the American, Iranian and Turkish forces present for different missions and different targets, the picture is still vague. Ended 6/29 N

• Thanks 4

• yota691 changed the title to Joint operations: We cannot confirm or deny the authenticity of the message that US forces intend to withdraw
06-01-2020 11:31 PM
image.php?token=725ebba5b2b3387a482d37c4e7fb60cc&c=5694675&size=

Baghdad / Al-Akhbariya: The
Iraqi Joint Operations Command confirmed, on Monday, its inability to confirm or deny the authenticity of the message that the American forces intend to withdraw.
A source said in a statement that it "cannot immediately confirm the authenticity of a message stating that the American forces intend to withdraw from Iraq."
As Reuters news agency quoted a Pentagon spokesman: It is not possible to immediately confirm the authenticity of a message stating that the American forces intend to withdraw from Iraq.

NATO condemns the Iranian attack on Iraqi bases

January 08, 2020

A video published by Iran for a missile attack on a US base in Iraq

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg on Wednesday condemned Iran's firing of missiles at Iraqi bases with US forces deployed.

"I condemn the Iranian missile attack on US forces and the coalition in Iraq. NATO calls on Iran to refrain from escalating the violence further," Stoltenberg wrote in a tweet.

Jens Stoltenberg✔@jensstoltenberg

I condemn the Iranian missile attacks on US & @coalition forces in Iraq. #NATO calls on Iran to refrain from further violence. Allies continue to consult & remain committed to our training mission in Iraq.

A NATO officer said there were no casualties among the forces conducting a training mission in Iraq.

Iran announced that the missile launches were in response to the killing of the Quds Force commander, General Qassem Soleimani, in a US air strike in Baghdad last week.

After Iran launched about 15 missiles towards two military bases in Iraq that include American forces, American officials denied that there were casualties among the American forces, and Germany, Denmark, Norway and Poland said that their forces in Iraq were not harmed, and the Iraqi government confirmed that Iraqi soldiers were not injured in the attacks.

https://www.alhurra.com/a/حلف-الأطلسي-يدين-الهجوم-الإيراني-على-قواعد-عراقية/528480.html

• Like 2

• yota691 changed the title to The coalition suspends its military activities in Iraq

The coalition suspends its military activities in Iraq

News / Iraq :: Before 57 minutes :: 140‌ number of readings

12912020_17512020_4wrwerrf.jpg

Dawat / Follow-up 
On Thursday, the international coalition against ISIS announced the suspension of military activities in Iraq, to focus on protecting Iraqi bases hosting coalition members.

The coalition said in tweets on its official account on Twitter, that the activities that were suspended include training with partners and support their operations against ISIS, noting that it focuses its efforts in 5 areas.?

"Although military activities are currently suspended, activities continue naturally, including combating harmful ISIS propaganda, stabilizing and disrupting funding," he added.

• Like 1

• yota691 changed the title to News of air strikes near the Syrian-Iraqi border

Friday, 10 January 2020 - 01:09 GMT

A senior field source said that on Friday morning, planes believed to belong to the international coalition targeted sites near the Syrian-Iraqi border gate east of the city of Albukamal, the far eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.

The World - Syria

The source said to "Sputnik": "The aircraft, most likely belonging to the international coalition, targeted a series of raids, sites inside the Iraqi border to the east of the city of Albukamal.

The source confirmed that all the raids that were launched after midnight, were recorded inside Iraqi territory near the Syrian border, and there is no truth to the information that talks about the presence of raids inside the Syrian territory.

Unidentified planes hit Iraqi militiamen in Syria, killing 8

1922516-494939530.jpg?itok=GykWaihE

An Iraqi security official and another official, who was from the Iran-backed Iraqi militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces, said warplanes targeted two vehicles carrying missiles on the Syrian side of the border. (File:

January 10, 202012:55

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the planes targeted positions belonging to pro-Iran militias in the Boukamal area, near the border with Iraq

The strike was most likely carried out by Israeli warplanes, they said, but offered no evidence

BEIRUT: Unidentified planes struck targets in Syria near the border with Iraq on Friday, killing eight Iran-backed Iraqi militiamen, Syrian activists and two Iraqi officials said, an attack that comes amid soaring tensions between the US and Iran.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the planes targeted positions belonging to pro-Iran militias in the Boukamal area, near the border with Iraq. The Britain-based organization, which documents the war in Syria through a network of activists on the ground, said the planes struck, among other targets, weapons depots and vehicles belonging to the militias.
An Iraqi security official and another official, who was from the Iran-backed Iraqi militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces, said warplanes targeted two vehicles carrying missiles on the Syrian side of the border. The strike was most likely carried out by Israeli warplanes, they said, but offered no evidence.
The Israeli military had no immediate comment. The Pentagon did not respond to a request for comment on the Syria bombing, which comes at a time of high tension between Iran and the US
The Iraqi officials identified the eight casualties as Iraqi militia fighters while the Observatory only said the eight were not Syrians, without giving their nationality. The death toll could rise further, officials said, as there were also wounded militiamen, some reportedly in serious conditions.
Another Iraqi official said those targeted belong to the Imam Ali Brigades, an Iran-backed faction within the PMF. The three Iraqi officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to make statements to the media.
Israel has repeatedly struck Iran-linked targets in Syria in recent years and has warned against any permanent Iranian presence on the frontier.
Deir Ezzor 24, an activist collective that reports on news in the border area, said the planes struck trucks carrying weapons as well as depots for ballistic missiles in the area. Omar Abu Laila, a Europe-based activist from Syria’s eastern Deir Ezzor area who runs the group, said the attack triggered “a huge explosion” heard in the Syrian-Iraqi border.
The Sound and Picture, another activist collective in the Deir Ezzor area, said “unidentified planes” struck militia targets in Boukamal. There was no immediate comment from Syrian authorities.
The US carried out military strikes in the area on Dec. 29, killing 25 members of an Iran-backed Iraqi militia, in retaliation to a rocket attack on a military base in Iraq that killed a US contractor. The US blamed that attack on a Iranian-backed Iraqi militia.
The reported airstrikes Friday came days after a US drone strike killed Iran’s most powerful general after he landed at Baghdad airport, drawing angry calls for revenge and escalating tensions to the brink of an all-out war between the two sides.
Iran responded by firing a barrage of missiles at military bases in Iraq that host US troops. Since then, both sides have signaled they were stepping back from further escalation but tensions remain high and the region on edge.
Amid the soaring tensions, Russian President Vladimir Putin made a rare visit to Syria this week for talks with President Bashar Assad in Damascus. Russia has been a key ally for Assad, offering crucial military and political backing throughout the country’s civil war.
The area struck Friday is key to a land corridor for Tehran that links Iran across Iraq and Syria through Lebanon. The Observatory report on Friday claimed that Putin had informed Assad during the visit of a US intention to “close” the land corridor for good.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1611036/middle-east

• Upvote 2

Middle East

Iran admits shooting down Ukrainian airliner in ‘unintentional human error’

7 hours ago

Iran admits shooting down Ukrainian airliner in ‘unintentional human error’
A general view of the debris of the Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752 that crashed after taking off from Iran's Imam Khomeini airport, Jan. 8, 2020. (Photo: Social Media/Reuters)

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – The Iranian military admitted on Saturday that it had accidentally shot down the Ukrainian airliner that crashed shortly after taking off from an airport in Tehran on Wednesday morning, killing all 176 passengers in an incident caused by “unintentional human error.”

The reason, it explained, was that the country’s defenses were on “the highest level of readiness” in anticipation of a possible US retaliation to Tehran’s missile strikes the night before on American targets in Iraq.

The Ukrainian Boeing 737–800 was heading from the Imam Khomeini Airport in Tehran to Kiev. Shortly after the incident, reports indicated that the aircraft may have been shot down by Iranian rockets from its missile defense system.

This occurred just hours after the Iranian aerospace force fired ballistic missiles on Iraqi bases that house American troops, in an operation dubbed “Martyr Soleimani,” widely publicized by Iranian media as Tehran’s “severe revenge” for the killing of General Qasim Soleimani of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

The airliner was “in close proximity to a sensitive military center of the IRGC and was at an altitude, and in the shape, of a hostile aircraft,” read a statement from the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran, published on the semi-official Tasnim news agency. 

“Under these conditions, due to unintentional human error, the mentioned airplane was targeted, which unfortunately led to a collective martyrdom of fellow citizens and foreigners,” the statement continued, adding that those responsible for the incident would be tried in a court of law. 

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif tweeted, “Human error at [a] time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster,” adding, “Our profound regrets, apologies and condolences to our people, to the families of all victims, and to other affected nations.”

Initially, Iranian officials said reports indicating that its military had shot down the aircraft were “illogical” and “psychological warfare.”

Among the casualties were a large number of dual-nationals, including dozens of Iranian-Canadians. A day after the incident, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in a press conference that intelligence showed an Iranian surface-to-air missile had shot down the plane but added that it may have been unintentional. 

Editing by John J. Catherine

• Thanks 2