Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Are Christians really supposed to tithe?

sheltagar

Give to the store house ..... But tithing is more than just 10% of finances . Tithing is what you do while in Church.Or out of Church .Heaven above wants 10 % of you . 

hmmmmm and here was I thinking that heavan wnated 100% of me ....... and 0% of my bank account

Edited by The Machine
  • Upvote 3

I have yet to find the 2-3 scriptures in the new testament from Acts to revelation to support this teaching.

So i quit tithing 16 plus yrs ago and behold Jesus blessses me more and more.

Any thoughts or proof

My thoughts: 

So you just attend Church and expect everyone else to support it financially? Sounds kind of selfish to me.  JMO.  And if you don't attend a church, you are denying yourself the fellowship God intended you to have with other Christians, You are robbing yourself, I can see how that would lead you to think you do not need to tithe...

Luke 16:25-26

Romans 3:30-31

Matthew 5:17-18

Hebrews 10:24-25

-

• Upvote 4

It's the only act of obedience to God's values which results in a tangible gain. I give more than 10%. God blesses the intent of our hearts to submit to and trust him. I'm eager to give. And so is God.

If God indeed has 100% of us, it includes our bank accounts. And when God does indeed have our bank accounts, 10% flies by quickly.

It's a matter of trust, and obedience to the spirit of the law. And he only made it law because it would prosper us. I wouldn't brag about not giving faithfully, as he's explained he's like is to give. God blesses you because he blesses you. Regardless of your unwillingness to tithe.

When God has this part of you, my friend, you'll be blessed more than you've experienced and more than just financially.

Edited by Deborah Layne
  • Upvote 5

Actually tithing is never mentioned in the new testament. It was a law in the old testament. We are not under the law any more. The church teaches it as a law because they dont trust God to give them what they need to keep the doors open. They are making a buisness out of it. Have you not noticed that more sermons are about money now days than any thing else. I used to tithe 10% every sunday for years and after a while i started reading the bible myself instead of listening to the preachers. And i found that while the bible does say the more you sow the more you will reap. It does not say to tithe. Not in new testament. Rather it says let a man give what is on his heart. The law of sowing and reaping is just that its  a law. If you sow you can reap from it if faith is present. But with this law that you are working you are in a way selfish in yourself. If you are giving to get more, then your heart is not the the right place even if the law works for you. You sit thier and put down others for not giving and call them selfish while you are waiting for your profit for giving. Some people like me have decided not to give to a church that wants to use money to build a bigger building or put cussions on the pews. But rather i give to the poor which is what Jesus did if you read the bible.

I actually tested this once when i came to a conclusion that if God is my father then i should look at my relationship with my kids and compare; so i did. So i said to my self, self if my birthday came up and my daughter gives me a gift and then my other daughter comes up next and gives me a more expensive gift and then looks at her sister and says daddy is going to give me more money because i spent more on him than you did. How would that make me feel. Well i would feel like she gave me a gift to get something from me rather than because she loves me. So i told God; i do love you and i am going to stop tithing on purpose to show you i am not trying to buy something from you. And low and behold after a while i noticed i was being blessed more than all the years that i tithed. Now how does that fly with all the church teachings. I bet you never hear that in church. Becuse it will not fill up the offering plates. Now after a while i did start giving again but it is maney to poor people with the exeption of one church, 4 hours from where i live because i know they teach truth and are trying to make a difference. But all these churches around me are not getting my money cause they are not teaching truth. And i dont make a law out of giving but rather give as i please.

Now speaking of the law of sowing and reaping. It does work, but there is a higher law if you are a son of God. Sowing and reaping is a natural law. Farmers use it to grow crops and even unbelievers can use it to prosper. You hear about it all the time from famous rich people that give to charities and some how they prosper and they will say its because of giving and recieving back. They call if carma.

Well the Christian is supposed to live by a higher law which these people can not. You have a father which is in heaven and he owns everything. You are his son or daughter. If you are in need you simply ask and recieve. And their is no waiting on your seed to grow. It can be instant or at least faster. Its called sonship. If you are indeed a son of the Most High then you should be able to ask and recieve just like Jesus said.

Then when you understand who you really are in Christ you will not be giving to recieve but rather you will be giving because you have. You will give to who ever because you know that God will take care of you no matter what. Not because you want to make a profit off of your giving. Its is a heart thing. I say if your giving to recieve then you are decieved.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have yet to find the 2-3 scriptures in the new testament from Acts to revelation to support this teaching.

So i quit tithing 16 plus yrs ago and behold Jesus blessses me more and more.

Any thoughts or proof

I had numerous reasons to avoid further response to this thread, not the least of which is you chose to exclude the Gospels and the Words of Christ Himself. Let me preface my remarks by the words of the Apostle Paul, who authored 60% of the New Testament. 

(even where the Sabbath and Kosher laws were concerned he opined)

Rom_14:5  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 

The Lord Jesus Christ said:

Mat_23:23  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. 
Luk_11:42  But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. 
and again:
Mar 12:41  And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. 
Mar 12:42  And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. 
Mar 12:43  And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: 
Mar 12:44  For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living. 

Jesus said they should tithe, nor did he say give back the widows mites since she gave all....
Scripturally the tithe preceded the law for Abaraham tithed to Melchisidek
Furthermore if one chooses a  New Testament giving pattern how can you ignore Acts 4:31 to Acts 5:11...sell all you have give it to the Kingdom and allow God to provide your needs. 
Which takes me back again 
to the Gospels:
Mat_19:21  Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 
Mar_10:21  Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. 
Luk_18:22  Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. 
JMO of course but I believe also as Paul
 would say that I have the mind of GOD !
PS Crewdog Jesus said the tithe should be done see above.

• Upvote 4

"What does the Bible say about Christian tithing? Should a Christian tithe?"

Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches giving is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.

The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.

The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

Edited by moose 57
  • Upvote 4

In 54 years, I have not made one dime that wasn't tithed. If I am blessed enough to live another 54, that will not change. In Luke 11:42 Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees when He says; "But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone". Every time I hear this verse discussed, it is about Him condemning them for what they were not doing. Nobody seems to notice the first part of the verse, where He commends them for things they are doing; which includes tithing. He even goes so far as to say "These ye ought to have done". I am astonished at the number of people these days that think it is OK to just drop a dollar in the plate or sometimes not even that. These are usually the same people that come straight to the church for help when they get in a bind. I don't know where they think the church is supposed to get the money to help them. Imagine the work the church could be doing in the world today if people were as free with their wallet as they are with their opinions.

• Upvote 7

Thank you EagleEye & Roadrunner and others.

I find most responses to this question give the impression that grasping onto our money is okay/sanctioned/allowable/etc.

You may as well have asked, are Christians really supposed to not commit adultery? Are Christians really supposed to not steal? Because I've stolen and committed adultery and Jesus keeps blessing me.

Jesus blesses us DESPITE our unwillingness to honor Him.

The fact that a question about how much to give has been raised is evidence enough that it is an issue to some believers

Jesus would never try and make a case for doing or giving less than his absolute best.

If we put feet to out faith, which is the purpose of faith in the first place, we don't sit around and dicker over percentages of income or the "law" that God expects usto give beyond what is comfortable for us. And it doesn't help to try and nail God down to a percentage. If you're doing that you've missed the boat.

I've lived on every side of this. And when I was virtually destitute and couldn't possibly meet my own needs on my own, I STILL did not resist the Holy Spirit urge to provide for other people. I've literally given the shirt off of my back when I didn't consider that I had no other warm shirt at home. It was an urging of my heart. And as a consequemce, the Lord spoke to me audibly in one if the few times he ever has. He said: I like the way you treat other people.

I don't like the way I treat other people. But apparently God does. And His telling me so was promoted by my disregarding how much Im "supposed" to give for His purposes and instead, giving lavishly, without consideration as to me meeting my own "needs."

When you put pen to paper and try and wheedle a percentage or dollar amount of giving into your budget you have completely missed the point. God doesn't care about your excuses or justifications or reasons not to tithe. He looks at your heart. And when he sees a heart that is afraid to trust Him to keep his promises regarding giving - bless him, he STILL loves and blesses you. But in a million years, do not mistake His gorgeous blessing as "proof" that you don't "have to tithe"

Edited by Deborah Layne
  • Upvote 1

First of all, I don't know my Bible very well in a way that I can't quote scriptures without looking it up.  But I have a pretty good idea of what the Bible says :)

My personal opinion is that we take the Bible from front to back as it is as the book of revelation says you can not take or add to God's Words. Shetlagar said he is looking from Acts to Revelation and there is none about tithing but there are things that in those books he mentioned that we need to take heed.  I want to know why he can't look into the Matthew, Mark, Luke and John... because in there still there are some scriptures about giving, probably not being said as tithing but there is a scripture where Jesus said, render to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and render to God what belongs to God.  

In 66 books in Bible and 54,247 verses.. only in Malachi 3:10 where the Lord said "TEST ME".. none other scriptures said that.  When God said "TEST ME" that means He is putting His name above all names to prove His words.. that alone is enough for me.  If we say we love God, we need to take all the good and all the warnings and all the bad things He warns us if we are not heeding to His Words.  Tithing is a sensitive thing to discuss, some people say you tithe on net income, some say on gross income.  I agree with The Machine that God wants all of us but I don't agree on zero money.  God doesn't need our money but He wants our obedience more than anything.  If we say we love God, we want to obey Him.  GOD = LOVE = GIVE 

I choose to tithe and give also to the needy because I am blessed to be a blessing :)

• Upvote 3

-

First of all, I don't know my Bible very well in a way that I can't quote scriptures without looking it up.  But I have a pretty good idea of what the Bible says :)

My personal opinion is that we take the Bible from front to back as it is as the book of revelation says you can not take or add to God's Words. Shetlagar said he is looking from Acts to Revelation and there is none about tithing but there are things that in those books he mentioned that we need to take heed.  I want to know why he can't look into the Matthew, Mark, Luke and John... because in there still there are some scriptures about giving, probably not being said as tithing but there is a scripture where Jesus said, render to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and render to God what belongs to God.  

In 66 books in Bible and 54,247 verses.. only in Malachi 3:10 where the Lord said "TEST ME".. none other scriptures said that.  When God said "TEST ME" that means He is putting His name above all names to prove His words.. that alone is enough for me.  If we say we love God, we need to take all the good and all the warnings and all the bad things He warns us if we are not heeding to His Words.  Tithing is a sensitive thing to discuss, some people say you tithe on net income, some say on gross income.  I agree with The Machine that God wants all of us but I don't agree on zero money.  God doesn't need our money but He wants our obedience more than anything.  If we say we love God, we want to obey Him.  GOD = LOVE = GIVE 

I choose to tithe and give also to the needy because I am blessed to be a blessing :)

Amen Nadita! See my tag line:

Thank you EagleEye & Roadrunner and others.

I find most responses to this question give the impression that grasping onto our money is okay/sanctioned/allowable/etc.

You may as well have asked, are Christians really supposed to not commit adultery? Are Christians really supposed to not steal? Because I've stolen and committed adultery and Jesus keeps blessing me.

Jesus blesses us DESPITE our unwillingness to honor Him.

The fact that a question about how much to give has been raised is evidence enough that it is an issue to some believers

Jesus would never try and make a case for doing or giving less than his absolute best.

If we put feet to out faith, which is the purpose of faith in the first place, we don't sit around and dicker over percentages of income or the "law" that God expects usto give beyond what is comfortable for us. And it doesn't help to try and nail God down to a percentage. If you're doing that you've missed the boat.

I've lived on every side of this. And when I was virtually destitute and couldn't possibly meet my own needs on my own, I STILL did not resist the Holy Spirit urge to provide for other people. I've literally given the shirt off of my back when I didn't consider that I had no other warm shirt at home. It was an urging of my heart. And as a consequemce, the Lord spoke to me audibly in one if the few times he ever has. He said: I like the way you treat other people.

I don't like the way I treat other people. But apparently God does. And His telling me so was promoted by my disregarding how much Im "supposed" to give for His purposes and instead, giving lavishly, without consideration as to me meeting my own "needs."

When you put pen to paper and try and wheedle a percentage or dollar amount of giving into your budget you have completely missed the point. God doesn't care about your excuses or justifications or reasons not to tithe. He looks at your heart. And when he sees a heart that is afraid to trust Him to keep his promises regarding giving - bless him, he STILL loves and blesses you. But in a million years, do not mistake His gorgeous blessing as "proof" that you don't "have to tithe"

I asked for 2-3 new testament scriptures to support your doctrine.

I said i didnt tithe, i didnt say that i never gave offerings when the Lord put it on my heart.

-

Amen Nadita! See my tag line:

Thise who are under the law are under a curse and i repeat thise who are under the law are under a curse. As apostle paul put it in galatians

I said i didnt tithe, i didnt say that i never gave offerings when the Lord put it on my heart.

Thise who are under the law are under a curse and i repeat thise who are under the law are under a curse. As apostle paul put it in galatians

You wish to argue only for argument sake as you obviously have nothing of any benefit to offer.  

Tithe meaning of term: A tithe is a tenth part of something. It is the 10 percent given or paid as a tribute. Tithing is especially done for religious purposes. It means giving a tenth of one’s income to promote worship.

The commandment to tithe was part of the Law that God gave to the 12 tribes of ancient Israel more than 3,500 years ago. That Law decreed that a tenth of the produce of the land and fruit trees and a tenth of the increase of the herds be given to the tribe of Levi in support of their services at the tabernacle.—Leviticus 27:30, 32; Numbers 18:21, 24.

At no time were first-century Christians commanded to pay tithes. The primary purpose of the tithing arrangement under the Law had been to support Israel’s temple and priesthood; consequently the obligation to pay tithes would cease when that Mosaic Law covenant came to an end as fulfilled, through Christ’s death on the torture stake. (Eph 2:15; Col 2:13, 14) It is true that Levitical priests continued serving at the temple in Jerusalem until it was destroyed in 70 C.E., but Christians from and after 33 C.E. became part of a new spiritual priesthood that was not supported by tithes.—Ro 6:14; Heb 7:12; 1Pe 2:9.

Tithing is a widely accepted belief in Christendom, churches tithing parishioners ten percent of their income. Does the Bible teach this as a Christian doctrine? Tithing was part of the Law of Moses. But Christians are not under that Law, as Christ’s apostle writes: “You are not under law but under undeserved kindness.” When sending his disciples out to preach, Jesus did not instruct them to tithe people. He said: “You received free, give free.” The Christian way to raise funds for God’s work is by voluntary contributions. A need is made known and then Christians voluntarily give. There must be no compulsion, no pressure, as Paul says: “Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”—Rom. 6:14; Matt. 10:8; 2 Cor. 9:7.

So, then, are Christians required to tithe? In his Bible concordance, Alexander Cruden said: “Neither our Saviour, nor his apostles have commanded any thing in this affair of tithes.” Indeed, Christians are not commanded to tithe. God himself put an end to the Mosaic Law, with its tithing arrangements, nailing it to Jesus’ torture stake. (Romans 6:14; Colossians 2:13, 14) Instead of being required to give a specified amount to defray congregation expenses, therefore, Christians make voluntary contributions.

Of course, if a Christian voluntarily chooses to give a tenth of his income to advance true worship, there would be no Scriptural objection to his making such donations. In a letter accompanying his donation, a 15-year-old lad in Papua New Guinea wrote: “When I was little, my father used to tell me, ‘When you start working, you must give the firstfruits to Jehovah.’ I remember the words of Proverbs 3:1, 9, which say we must give the firstfruits to Jehovah to honor him. So I promised to do this, and now I must fulfill my promise. I am so happy to send this money to help the Kingdom work.” The Bible does not call upon Christians to make such a promise. However, generous giving is a fine way to display keen interest in promoting true worship.

Matt. 24:14 States―”And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.”

Mark 13:10―”Also, in all the nations, the good news has to be preached first.”

To effectively accomplish the work that has decreed must be done before the end of this old system of things comes, will require in today’s world a lot of time, energy and money to the advancement of declaring the good news of the kingdom, in all the earth, as witness to all the nations, before, the end will come.

Edited by Fly
  • Upvote 3

The problem is when people make a law out of tithing like there is a set amount to give to the church. The tithe is only in the old testament. When Jesus was talking to the pharasees they were still in old testament. Yes you should give , but its not a law and when i go to a church that says if i don't tithe God will punish me, i walk out very quickly knowing they are ignorant or trying to fleece the flock or both. lets face it some churches God does not really want to stay open but the older people that think they must stay were old grandma brought them up 40 years ago stay there and help keep the doors open while they never preach the truth and keep on praying to God for more people with money to come to there church. And no one ever gets safed. I have seen it.

As far as scripture how about this one. 1 Cor ch16 verse 2 (Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when i come.) Now we can see this is directed to a once a week gathering such as a church service and he never mentioned a tithe of any % but rather according to what God has prospered you already, not what you are hoping to get out of the giving. So if someone is out of work or not making money its not expected. Its pretty clear to me. Also this giving was for helping the poor christians in Jerusalem not really a every week thing. They were helping their brothers out. Im not against giving to a church, after all the church needs money to stay open but its not a law and thats what i am against. And as far as im concered when i see a real church i will give but i have not seen a real church where i live. They dont know the true gospel and only seem to be in it for themselfs. You have to watch were you put your money. I would not want to be guilty of giving money to a church that turns away someone because he smells bad or preaches God hates you if you dont do this or that. You have to really look at the church you go to and make sure they are on the right page.

As far as giving to a church most people do that so they dont have to do anything for the kingdom. They think if they give to a church they are doing the word. But actually your still doing nothing. God said he wanted obediance and not sacrifice. Saying you are obediant because you tithe to a church is not actually the obediance Jesus was talking about. That is sacrifice. And i would add that if you are expecting to gain from it then its not much of a sacrifice either. The church has watered down the gospel so much that evey one that goes to church once a month or once a week thinks they are doing the word. But they are decieved. They are only hearing the word. Doing the word is going out and giving that money you are talking about to some homeless man that actually needs it. And praying for people that are sick and actually geting results. I have seen many people healed in walmart and other places as i go around being the church my self rather than going to church. I see more people touched by Jesus in my every day life than i ever saw going to any church in my area. Cause there is no power in them. They just show up for a sermon and go home to live like the world and of yeah they tithed.

Now dont dare say because someone says tighing is not in the new testament that they dont give. We give plenty. We do not use it as a reason or excuse to hold on to our money. I give where i see i need to. I just dont limit my self to a church. And that is the true test. If you take away all the laws and requirements you will see the true nature of a persons heart. People that give a tithe because they thinks its mandatory are doing it out of duty. Remove the requirement and see how many of you still give. And think about this. (You are a ministry). Yes a ministry for God to use. You are the one going out into the world every day not the church. How many sinners do you see come to church, not many so its up to you to show them Jesus. Give some of that tithe you are holding onto until sunday to a waitress, or some other person that you can see needs a little help and tell them its from Jesus and see how their face lights up. Its common knowledge around my area anyways that sundays are the worst day for waiters as far as tips go because christians are small tippers. But i bet they tithed. Oh yeah.

crewdog...you hit upon a few things that most refuse to 'see'. giving is to be never mandated,

it is to be from the heart, cheerfully.

Using guilt as many factions love to use, in order to elicit the desired response is all too common, and

the whole point of giving cheerfully is killed. If ones god must resort to threat tactics in order to force

some form of submission, outside of a willing heart, that has been drawn not by force or threat, but by

LOVE and favor, then one must re-evaluate what god they are 'serving'.

You made an excellent point regarding Sundays and wait staff...it is indeed the worst day, and often they

would rather NOT serve those coming in, because they are often treated with contempt. In some cases, 

no tip is left, but a 'tract' stating that a god loves them, but it is a conditional love unless they submit to

the demand of this angry tyrant, who has no problem sending them to some endless state of torment

if they do not believe in just the proper way. Is it any wonder common folk reject this kind of message

and sad display of love? I could tell you stories of people I know, and how they have been treated by

those who do such things. it is not only sad, it is despicable.

It should be rejected, and so should the smug attitudes of those who promote such. Thank you crewdog for

your thoughts, unpopular as they may be.

• Upvote 2

That was for people who try to live by the law unto salavation, without Christ.  But Paul also said this in Romans:

Romans 3:30-31 (NLT)

30 There is only one God, and he makes people right with himself only by faith, whether they are Jews or Gentiles. 31 Well then, if we emphasize faith, does this mean that we can forget about the law? Of course not! In fact, only when we have faith do we truly fulfill the law.

So are we supposed to ignore the laws that God has given in His Word?  Let's see what Jesus says in Matthew: 

Matthew 5:17-18 (NLT)

17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

Has the purpose of Tithing been achieved?  If not, then wouldn't you say we are still stealing from God because we do not tithe?  So that new car you're driving around in or that new house you are living in, instead of giving that money to the poor and needy, you decided God wanted you to be blessed by what you didn't give to him?  Yeah, ok, you keep thinking that.

-

• Upvote 3

Isn't it interesting that we become more concerned with what others are doing or not doing?  Yes, we are to be a judge of the fruits that are manifested by others and if they are producing "bad fruit" then we are not to "eat" of that fruit.  If "good" fruit, then certainly we can fill our life with the good.  

What we don't need to do is make censorious judgment about someone's action without knowing their heart or their situation, only God can do that.  

I'll leave it there.  

The only people who make tithing a law issue, imo, are the ones who look for an excuse not to tithe. Fidelity in marriage is a law too. Who would want to look for "proof" that God expects us to be faithful to our mates, except for someone who had an issue with being faithful?

agree :)  

Jeremiah 17:9-10 "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick, who can understand it? I, the Lord search the heart, I test the mind, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deed".

The only person knows the truth is only YOU and God as He sees everything as naked and bare :)

The old testament is about law and the new testament is about grace but yet, that grace even though sounds light but heavier than law :)

For instance, in the old testament, you have to be caught in the act of adultery to be stoned as the punishment. But in the new testament, Jesus said if you look at a woman and lust in your heart, you already committed an adultery.  Because of grace, given to us even though we don't deserve it but we are held in higher accountability because of grace.  So, we can't boast but that is the measure we have to use as God's children.

• Upvote 1

I had numerous reasons to avoid further response to this thread, not the least of which is you chose to exclude the Gospels and the Words of Christ Himself. Let me preface my remarks by the words of the Apostle Paul, who authored 60% of the New Testament.

(even where the Sabbath and Kosher laws were concerned he opined)

Rom_14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

The Lord Jesus Christ said:

Mat_23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luk_11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

and again:

Mar 12:41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

Mar 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

Mar 12:43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

Mar 12:44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

Jesus said they should tithe, nor did he say give back the widows mites since she gave all....

Scripturally the tithe preceded the law for Abaraham tithed to Melchisidek

Furthermore if one chooses a New Testament giving pattern how can you ignore Acts 4:31 to Acts 5:11...sell all you have give it to the Kingdom and allow God to provide your needs.

Which takes me back again

to the Gospels:

Mat_19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Mar_10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Luk_18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

JMO of course but I believe also as Paul

would say that I have the mind of GOD !

PS Crewdog Jesus said the tithe should be done see above.

You might want to read mark 12:40Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation. (‭Mark‬ ‭12‬:‭40‬ KJV)

Preachers always leave out this one.theses devils stole her house now theyre taking her last two mites.im pretty sure Jesus isnt tooooo happy. Yet u guys preach this twisted garbage

I live in the phillipines and most pastors preach tithing. And everyone is poor including the pastor. Why isnt God blessing these tithe paying ppl.my wife and i dont tithe and Jesus blesses us super abundantly.its seems christians think its a magik formula give 10% and God will bless them.

It doesnt work for me or anyone i know, so i quit doing it. I simply ask Jesus what He would have me give.i give with a cheerful heart.it saddens me to see the brethern stuck on this old testament teaching. If this is your faith so be it unto you

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4