Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Phil Robertson demonized LGBT people in 2010 sermon: ‘They invent ways of doing evil’

dinar_stud

Phil Robertson demonized LGBT people in 2010 sermon: ‘They invent ways of doing evil’

A 3-year-old video shows “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson demonizing LGBT people as “insolent” and “evil.”

TMZ posted a video Thursday afternoon that shows Robertson, who was placed on indefinite hiatus by A&E for anti-*** and racist remarks in a magazine interview, delivering an anti-*** sermon at Berean Bible Church in Pennsylvania.

“First they say, ‘There is no God. Get him out of your mind,’” Robertson said, waving a Bible. “Then they bow down to birds, animals and reptiles, and each other, and the first thing you see coming out of that book is gross sexual immorality.”

“They will dishonor their bodies with one another, degrade each other,” Robertson said. “Is that going on in the United States of America? Look around. God’s not there, we have all the answers – don’t hurt a little bird or an animal – and, boy, is there some immorality going on around here. Does it get worse?”

After Robertson’s suspension cast the future of the popular reality TV show in doubt, conservatives leapt to his defense, saying he had a right to express his religious beliefs without interference.

For example, a photo of Robertson was passed around on social media, complaining that the media hadn’t presented the full context of his comments in the magazine article.

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell,” the graphic quotes from the article. “That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ‘em, give ‘em the good news about Jesus – whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ‘em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

But the recently publicized sermon, which was delivered almost two years before “Duck Dynasty” first aired, adds even more context to Robertson’s comments and his beliefs about same-sex relationships.

“Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions,” Robertson said. “They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That’s what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country.”

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 13

“First they say, ‘There is no God. Get him out of your mind,’” Robertson said, waving a Bible. “Then they bow down to birds, animals and reptiles, and each other, and the first thing you see coming out of that book is gross sexual immorality.”

“They will dishonor their bodies with one another, degrade each other,” Robertson said. “Is that going on in the United States of America? Look around. God’s not there, we have all the answers – don’t hurt a little bird or an animal – and, boy, is there some immorality going on around here. Does it get worse?”

“Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions,” Robertson said. “They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That’s what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country.”

Romans 1:25-32 (NLT)

25 They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. 26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.

28 Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. 29 Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. 30 They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. 31 They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. 32 They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

dinar_stud - I'm curious, why does this subject and Robertson have you so spun up?

Because everything he preaches is hateful. He claims its based on the bible, and yet his "god" and his beliefs are so far away from it its not even funny.

Thank you, Phil Robertson for upholding God's Word for all to see in these troubling times. 

Not gods words, his words, his racism, his homofobia and his beliefs he can disparage anybody not christian.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 17

Romans 1:25-32 (NLT)

25 They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. 26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.

28 Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. 29 Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. 30 They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. 31 They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. 32 They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

Quote the bible all you want, you are not changing the facts.

I like how you try to compare the ancient israelites to the LGBT community.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

Because everything he preaches is hateful. He claims its based on the bible, and yet his "god" and his beliefs are so far away from it its not even funny.

Not gods words, his words, his racism, his homofobia and his beliefs he can disparage anybody not christian.

How would you know - "Weapon X" IS an atheist and since you are the same person that makes you one too!

Don't even begin to tell me that you have studied the word of God. You only pick and choose verses that suit your agenda.

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 1

See my post above yours, he's spot on!

Only spot on for those that believe blindly in a book written by men over 2000 years ago, a book that was compiled by men over 1500 years ago by the orders of a pagan, roman emperor. A book that left out so much becaue they went away from the notions of the times. 

He is spot on?? I dont think so.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

How would you know - "Weapon X" IS an atheist and since you are the same person that makes you one too!

Don't even begin to tell me that you have studied the word of God. You only pick and choose verses that suit your agenda.

Sorry to tell you you are mistaken three times.1. No I am not Weapon _X, believe as you will but you are mistaken. 2. I am an agnostic not an atheist, 2 very different concepts. 3. I should know I was a christian in my younger years and I have read and studied the bible, the same book that has so many incongruencies its not even funny, and that does not include the stories, like Noahs, that was almost a pure copy paste from babilonian beliefs that have been dated far older then the mention in the bible.

I have studied the bible and read it from front to back many time, so yes I know what it says. And I also know that the rant by Phil Robertson are so far from the "loving god" the bible preaches its nopt funny.

Here's the link to the truth, "facts" buckwheat.

The bible is not truth, its more like ancient myth. When Jesus, the person whose teachings you claim to follow, has not been found in any historical records outside the bible that puts a whole question mark on its veracity and reliability.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

Sorry to tell you you are mistaken three times.1. No I am not Weapon _X, believe as you will but you are mistaken. 2. I am an agnostic not an atheist, 2 very different concepts. 3. I should know I was a christian in my younger years and I have read and studied the bible, the same book that has so many incongruencies its not even funny, and that does not include the stories, like Noahs, that was almost a pure copy paste from babilonian beliefs that have been dated far older then the mention in the bible.

I have studied the bible and read it from front to back many time, so yes I know what it says. And I also know that the rant by Phil Robertson are so far from the "loving god" the bible preaches its nopt funny.

The bible is not truth, its more like ancient myth. When Jesus, the person whose teachings you claim to follow, has not been found in any historical records outside the bible that puts a whole question mark on its veracity and reliability.

I've already pointed you to the evidence of Jesus outside of the Bible in previous replies to you in other topics, if you choose to disbelieve that Jesus doesn't exist, then I can't help you. You keep telling yourself that when you are burning in hell.  Its not real, its not real, about the 3 trillionth, trillionth time you say that, you might realize those flames are real.  I wanted to laugh at that comment, but its too sad that you've conned yourself into believing the lie.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I've already pointed you to the evidence of Jesus outside of the Bible in previous replies to you in other topics, if you choose to disbelieve that Jesus doesn't exist, then I can't help you. You keep telling yourself that when you are burning in hell.  Its not real, its not real, about the 3 trillionth, trillionth time you say that, you might realize those flames are real.  I wanted to laugh at that comment, but its too sad that you've conned yourself into believing the lie.

There has been no proof. A couple of years ago the only supposed proof was an ossuary that was later found out to be a fraud. Hell another pagan concept adopted by christianity in the attempt to keep the people compliant with the church.

Edited by dinar_stud
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When DS makes a statement like the following:

"The bible is not truth, its more like ancient myth. When Jesus, the person whose teachings you claim to follow, has not been found in any historical records outside the bible that puts a whole question mark on its veracity and reliability."

It leads me to believe that arguing with DS is a lost cause. If DS says that they have studied the bible and comes to make this kind of statement, this person has already turned from the truth. BTW, making a statement like this is equivalent to saying there was no King Herod during the time of Jesus because there were no writings about him. The problem is, there were far more writings about Jesus and His life than even King Herod, but I will bet that DS would never argue that King Herod did not exist.

Indy

• Upvote 2

There has been no proof. A couple of years ago the only supposed proof was an ossuary that was later found out to be a fraud. Hell another pagan concept adopted by christianity in the attempt to keep the people compliant with the church.

In a 2011 review of the state of modern scholarship, Bart Ehrman (a secular agnostic) wrote: "He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees" B. Ehrman, 2011 Forged : writing in the name of God ISBN 978-0-06-207863-6. page 285

Michael Grant (a classicist) states that "In recent years, 'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary." in Jesus by Michael Grant 2004 ISBN 1898799881 page 200

Richard A. Burridge states: "There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church’s imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more." in Jesus Now and Then by Richard A. Burridge and Graham Gould (Apr 1, 2004) ISBN 0802809774 page 34

Robert E. Van Voorst Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence Eerdmans Publishing, 2000. ISBN 0-8028-4368-9 page 16 states: "biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of non-existence of Jesus as effectively refuted"

James D. G. Dunn "Paul's understanding of the death of Jesus" in Sacrifice and Redemption edited by S. W. Sykes (Dec 3, 2007) Cambridge University Press ISBN 052104460X pages 35-36 states that the theories of non-existence of Jesus are "a thoroughly dead thesis"

The Gospels and Jesus by Graham Stanton, 1989 ISBN 0192132415 Oxford University Press, page 145 states : "Today nearly all historians, whether Christians or not, accept that Jesus existed".

-

What Jesus Says About Homosexuality

What Jesus says about homosexuality is.

o-BLANK-PAGE-570.jpg?3

.. he doesn't mention it.

And yet I pick and choose what the bible says.... yeah right.

But, but, Jesus doesn't exist, you can't use that argument. :lol: But, I'll address it, the writers of the New Testament were inspired by the Holy Spirit; Jesus, Holy Spirit, God are one, therefore Jesus said it.  And Jesus also has said that ALL Scripture is good.

-

-

• Upvote 4

In a 2011 review of the state of modern scholarship, Bart Ehrman (a secular agnostic) wrote: "He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees" B. Ehrman, 2011 Forged : writing in the name of God ISBN 978-0-06-207863-6. page 285

Michael Grant (a classicist) states that "In recent years, 'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary." in Jesus by Michael Grant 2004 ISBN 1898799881 page 200

Richard A. Burridge states: "There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church’s imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more." in Jesus Now and Then by Richard A. Burridge and Graham Gould (Apr 1, 2004) ISBN 0802809774 page 34

Robert E. Van Voorst Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence Eerdmans Publishing, 2000. ISBN 0-8028-4368-9 page 16 states: "biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of non-existence of Jesus as effectively refuted"

James D. G. Dunn "Paul's understanding of the death of Jesus" in Sacrifice and Redemption edited by S. W. Sykes (Dec 3, 2007) Cambridge University Press ISBN 052104460X pages 35-36 states that the theories of non-existence of Jesus are "a thoroughly dead thesis"

The Gospels and Jesus by Graham Stanton, 1989 ISBN 0192132415 Oxford University Press, page 145 states : "Today nearly all historians, whether Christians or not, accept that Jesus existed".

-

Where is the proof?? these are postulations, calims. Not proof. try again. The name of Jesus of Nazareth has not been found anywhere outside the bible. 

Do you need the definition of proof??? Even so I will give it to you. Proof evidence establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement. Just because you claim something doers not make it fact or proof.

Do you want an example?? 

Here is proof that Pontius Pilate existed

PilateInscription.jpg

.In 1961 the archaeological world was taken back to the first century Roman province of Judea. A group of archaeologists, led by Dr. Antonio Frova were excavating an ancient Roman theater near Caesarea Maritima. Caesarea was a leading city in the first century located on the Mediterranean Sea. A limestone block was found there with a surprising inscription. The inscription, on three lines, reads:

…]S TIBERIVM
…PON]TIVS PILATVS
…PRAEF]ECTVS IVDA[EA]
The inscription is believed to be part of a larger inscription dedicating a temple in Caesarea to the emperor Tiberius. The inscription clearly states, “Pontius Pilate, Prefect of Judea.” The inscription is significant on several levels.

That is proof, what you posted were opinions, and dont forget that historian have been wrong many times and have to correct their beliefs.

Now try to bring proof not opinion.

But, but, Jesus doesn't exist, you can't use that argument. :lol: But, I'll address it, the writers of the New Testament were inspired by the Holy Spirit; Jesus, Holy Spirit, God are one, therefore Jesus said it.  And Jesus also has said that ALL Scripture is good.

-

-

I use that to debunk your "christian" claims. Its also proof that I have read and studied the bible. try again. By the way the inspired excuse only floats to those that have hope that what they believe to be true even without evidence, in another word you nmight understand "Faith". Faith is like voodoo you have to believe in it for it to affect you.

Edited by dinar_stud

Oh So you want physical proof?  A writing or mention from an ancient historian isn't good enough for you?  Or the historical writings of the apostles being executed isn't enough either?  I guess you want Jesus to come down and give you a great big hug and perform some miracles for you?  Would that be enough?  What does God have to do to prove to you that Jesus was his Son and that he died for your sins?

-

• Upvote 1

Where is the proof?? these are postulations, calims. Not proof. try again. The name of Jesus of Nazareth has not been found anywhere outside the bible. 

Do you need the definition of proof??? Even so I will give it to you. Proof evidence establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement. Just because you claim something doers not make it fact or proof.[/size]

Do you want an example?? [/size]

Here is proof that [/size]Pontius Pilate existed

PilateInscription.jpg[/size]

.In 1961 the archaeological world was taken back to the first century Roman province of Judea. A group of archaeologists, led by Dr. Antonio Frova were excavating an ancient Roman theater near Caesarea Maritima. Caesarea was a leading city in the first century located on the Mediterranean Sea. A limestone block was found there with a surprising inscription. The inscription, on three lines, reads:

…]S TIBERIVM

…PON]TIVS PILATVS

…PRAEF]ECTVS IVDA[EA]

The inscription is believed to be part of a larger inscription dedicating a temple in Caesarea to the emperor Tiberius. The inscription clearly states, “Pontius Pilate, Prefect of Judea.” The inscription is significant on several levels.

That is proof, what you posted were opinions, and dont forget that historian have been wrong many times and have to correct their beliefs.

Now try to bring proof not opinion.

I use that to debunk your "christian" claims. Its also proof that I have read and studied the bible. try again. By the way the inspired excuse only floats to those that have hope that what they believe to be true even without evidence, in another word you nmight understand "Faith". Faith is like voodoo you have to believe in it for it to affect you.

he Jewish historian Flavius Josephus

Flavius Josephus was a Jewish historian. He wrote around the end of the first century AD, and his two most significant works were the 'Jewish War' and the 'Antiquities of the Jews'.

Josephus was born around 37 AD, and became a Pharisee. He then joined the zealots who rebelled against Roman rule between 66 and 74AD, becoming a leader of their forces in Galilee, and living through the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. He was captured by the Romans, and would have been executed, but he went over to them.

Josephus became the Roman emperor's adviser on Jewish affairs, and died in about 98 AD. 'Josephus' was his Jewish name, and he took the name 'Flavius' in honour of the family of his imperial sponsor. His 'Jewish War' was largely based on his first-hand experiences. It focuses on the period AD 66 to 73. 'Antiquities of the Jews' covers the whole of history up to AD 66. Out of twenty books, six cover the period from the reign of Herod the Great to AD 66 - i.e. the period when Jesus lived.

In his writings, Josephus mentions the Pharisees, the Sadducees, and the Herodians. He mentions Caiaphas, Pontius Pilate, John the Baptist, Jesus (twice) and James the brother of Jesus. He also mentions the Essenes - the strict religious sect within Judaism that founded the Qumran community, where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found. In fact, Josephus says that he spent some time with the Essenes. This is how he describes it (Cited by Carsten Peter Thiede in 'The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Jewish origins of Christianity.'):

When I was about sixteen, I wanted to gain first-hand experience of our different movements. There are three: first, the Pharisees, second the Sadducees, and third the Essenes - as I have noted frequently. I thought I would be able to choose the best, by learning about all these schools. Thus I steeled myself for the task and studied the three courses with some effort.

In book 18 of the Antiquities, 63-64, the text of Josephus as we have it today says:

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed it is lawful to call him a man, for he was a performer of wonderful deeds, a teacher of such men as are happy to accept the truth. He won over many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ, and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the leading men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those who had loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again on the third day, as the prophets of God had foretold these and ten thousand other wonders about him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct to this day.'

In fact, this text is a bit too much of a good thing for our purposes. It seems unlikely that a Jew such as Josephus would have written some of the things in this passage. Most scholars today agree that it has been altered by early Christians seeking to 'improve' it. It seems more likely that Josephus originally wrote something like this:

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, for he was a performer of wonderful deeds, a teacher of such men as are happy to accept the truth. He won over many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. When Pilate, at the suggestion of the leading men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those who had loved him at the first did not forsake him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct to this day.'

Even without the questionable additions, notice what this passage tells us about Jesus:

• He was a real historical person
  • He was a teacher
  • He was a worker of wonders (miracles)
  • He gathered a band of followers, who continued to follow him after his death.

However, there is a second reference to Jesus in the works of Josephus. In Antiquities 20.200, he describes how, in AD 62, the high priest Ananus was deposed because he had illegally

convened the Sanhedrin [the highest Jewish religious court / governing body]. He had brought before them the brother of Jesus the so-called Christ, who was called James, and some other men, whom he accused of having broken the law, and handed them over to be stoned.

Notice the following points from this quotation from Josephus:

• Jesus had a brother called James
  • James was executed by the Jewish leaders in AD 62
  • There were claims that Jesus was the Messiah (that is, the Christ).

There is one other important point to notice from this quotation. Most scholars do not doubt the authenticity of this second reference to Jesus. Yet this passage refers to Jesus as the 'so-called Christ'. This brief comment appears to link back to Josephus' earlier reference to Jesus, and may even show that what he originally wrote there included some such comment as 'Jesus the so-called Christ.' Several of the books listed include some discussion of these passages from Josephus.

Edited by Markinsa
Fixed Quote Box
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Only spot on for those that believe blindly in a book written by men over 2000 years ago, a book that was compiled by men over 1500 years ago by the orders of a pagan, roman emperor. A book that left out so much becaue they went away from the notions of the times. 

He is spot on?? I dont think so.

Your ignorance is underwhelming...

• Upvote 3