Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Do you own a Belkin Router?

gymrat76541

I recently purchased a brand new laptop (old one went Ka-put).

I came home started it up, plugged in the internet cable & called Belkin to set up my wireless router.

My son gave me the Belkin Router for Christmas as a gift last year so I can have internet for all my devices.

Their rep set me up via goggle so that they can operate my computer.

They did a scan and found that 4 overseas people had hacked the system.

My internet provider is Time Warner Cable (TWC).

I told them since the system was hacked I would contact TWC and let them fix this problem.

The Belkin Rep. (From India) told me that this would not work and that I needed to pay$169.99 to have them clear the system and I would be good for 1 year. I am sure for additional coverage I would need to again pay them for coverage for the following years.

I asked them if there was anything that I could do to fix the problem & they said I can purchase another computer, another router and change my internet provider.

This is clearly a SCAM. They would not assist me in setting up the router without paying them the $169.99 to clear the threats.

I have written Belkin and now I am warning everyone else to stop buying Belkin routers!

I will be shopping for a new router this weekend. Any recommendations?

Honestly that's the craziest thing I have ever heard of. I purchased a Belkin router and all you do is set up the laptop Wi-Fi through the access code provided. Also, if you purchased a new computer you should have had anti-virus/hacking software in the system already. Why did you call to have it set up? Do you not have the wap2 or wap code that came with the router? Never give remote access to your computer by anyone unless you know them personally and even then it's scary.. P.s. Don't buy the Belkin again... It's stinks!!

Edited by Lorre

Honestly that's the craziest thing I have ever heard of. I purchased a Belkin router and all you do is set up the laptop Wi-Fi through the access code provided. Also, if you purchased a new computer you should have had anti-virus/hacking software in the system already. Why did you call to have it set up? Do you not have the wap2 or wap code that came with the router? Never give remote access to your computer by anyone unless you know them personally and even then it's scary.. P.s. Don't buy the Belkin again... It's stinks!!

I called their Tech support 1-877-931-1211 because the wireless internet needed to be set up.

I was getting a flashing light on the Belkin Router. Not the constint blue light I should have.

I honestly was shocked that they would attempt to scam me like this but I guess Corportate needed to increase profits this year.

I came home started it up, plugged in the internet cable & called Belkin to set up my wireless router.

My son gave me the Belkin Router for Christmas as a gift last year so I can have internet for all my devices.

I told them since the system was hacked I would contact TWC and let them fix this problem.

The Belkin Rep. (From India) told me that this would not work and that I needed to pay$169.99 to have them clear the system and I would be good for 1 year. I am sure for additional coverage I would need to again pay them for coverage for the following years.

I asked them if there was anything that I could do to fix the problem & they said I can purchase another computer, another router and change my internet provider.

This is clearly a SCAM. They would not assist me in setting up the router without paying them the $169.99 to clear the threats.

I have written Belkin and now I am warning everyone else to stop buying Belkin routers!

Sorry about your issues Gymrat

But just so you're clear--you do not have router issues--you have a lack of proper anti-virus/anti-spyware/malware programs

When you purchase a new computer of any sort through a Big Box store, 1/2 the installed ..er...programs are deemed spyware and junkware

Norton and McAfee are considered spyware and malware in the professional computer community---even though they are Anti-Spyware-so they say

Hopefully you can find someone who doesn't work for geek Squad to clean out your system and install proper safe guards.

I personally use Avast! for my Anti-Virus [which is free]

As well as SpyBot SD as a resident blocker and cleaner if needed and Spyware Blaster to block most pop ups.

Good Luck

• Upvote 1

Hello. 

This is what I would do, however, at no time am I telling you what to do or suggesting anything.  I'm just giving you information on what I WOULD DO, never what I recommend.   With this in mind:

I would go in to the router by plugging the ethernet cable that came with it.  It is usually a reversed polarity cable and plug both, my laptop and my router to it, without the internet.  Then I would type the IP address of the router on a web browser on my computer like explorer.  This is usually 192.168.1.1 but it can vary.  I would look in the back of the router for a sticker with this number.  If it is not available, then I would type the MAC address from the router, just like a URL on my laptop.  I would find either to work properly.  Once I am in there, then there would be a user name/password boxes that usually are admin and admin.   Once I would be in the settings of the router itself, I would look for a security tab and make sure that I set it to WAP2 or the similar and deffinitely, I would input a password that I would write down somewhere(Old school).  Once I would save those numbers, then I would look for the authorized MAC units to be allowed to go through the router and then input these individually.  If this would be complicated for  me,  I would google how to find the MAC address for each device I have.  Once all of this is done, then I would unplug the cable and just plug the internet to the router, wait until it is fully loaded and then restart my computer.  Once my computer is on, I would find a wireless device named Belkins or what ever I called it to be and try to connect.  A box would open and I would input that password that I wrote (Old School) and wait.   Walaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I got internet now.  Good luck to ME and all on the RV.  :)

• Upvote 2

Hello. 

This is what I would do, however, at no time am I telling you what to do or suggesting anything.  I'm just giving you information on what I WOULD DO, never what I recommend.   With this in mind:

I would go in to the router by plugging the ethernet cable that came with it.  It is usually a reversed polarity cable and plug both, my laptop and my router to it, without the internet.  Then I would type the IP address of the router on a web browser on my computer like explorer.  This is usually 192.168.1.1 but it can vary.  I would look in the back of the router for a sticker with this number.  If it is not available, then I would type the MAC address from the router, just like a URL on my laptop.  I would find either to work properly.  Once I am in there, then there would be a user name/password boxes that usually are admin and admin.   Once I would be in the settings of the router itself, I would look for a security tab and make sure that I set it to WAP2 or the similar and deffinitely, I would input a password that I would write down somewhere(Old school).  Once I would save those numbers, then I would look for the authorized MAC units to be allowed to go through the router and then input these individually.  If this would be complicated for  me,  I would google how to find the MAC address for each device I have.  Once all of this is done, then I would unplug the cable and just plug the internet to the router, wait until it is fully loaded and then restart my computer.  Once my computer is on, I would find a wireless device named Belkins or what ever I called it to be and try to connect.  A box would open and I would input that password that I wrote (Old School) and wait.   Walaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I got internet now.  Good luck to ME and all on the RV.  :)

WOW Sounds like you know your stuff.

I have copied all that down and I will try it.

If it does not work then I will go to Best Buy and get a new one.

Belkin is not on my ever purchase again list now! :)

WOW Sounds like you know your stuff.

I have copied all that down and I will try it.

If it does not work then I will go to Best Buy and get a new one.

Belkin is not on my ever purchase again list now! :)

All routers are basically the same.  The only major differences that I could note on them would be (A little more advance) their heat sinks inside the devices and their encryption within their built in firewalls.  Other than that, they all work basically identically.  I might have left out some steps that I WOULD HAVE TAKEN, such as restarting the router also after it was all done and perhaps making sure the SSID was visible so I could see the BELKINS name when I am searching for a wireless network to connect to.  GLTM and all on our endeavors and the RV.  :)

Sorry about your issues Gymrat

But just so you're clear--you do not have router issues--you have a lack of proper anti-virus/anti-spyware/malware programs

When you purchase a new computer of any sort through a Big Box store, 1/2 the installed ..er...programs are deemed spyware and junkware

Norton and McAfee are considered spyware and malware in the professional computer community---even though they are Anti-Spyware-so they say

Hopefully you can find someone who doesn't work for geek Squad to clean out your system and install proper safe guards.

I personally use Avast! for my Anti-Virus [which is free]

As well as SpyBot SD as a resident blocker and cleaner if needed and Spyware Blaster to block most pop ups.

Good Luck

bingo

Did they hack or did you just not secure the network with password

First off since the issue is a new laptop you will need to turn on the wireless and then once you have selected your wireless router on your laptop, if you have it password protected you will need to provide that password. There should be no reason

to set anything up on  your wireless router. However if you do not remember your wireless access password, you can always reset the router to the factory setting which would clear the password, but then all of your other devices would need to be reset also.

There should be a small button or hole in the back that would could use a paperclip to push and reset the router. If you need

more information on who to do that, I'm am certain that you can google search for the router model for the location. They will

have have to default Login and Password for the router. If it when it was setup the default IP address was not changed then you

could open the browser and in the URL type in \\192.168.1.1, this is the default on all home routers. from there you can reset

the wireless password.  

If you do not wish to use Symantec or Mcafee antivirus software, might I sugguest one that I know a lot of people use which is free, you can do a google search for AVG, they provide a free antivirus package for a year at a time.

Sorry for the long response but I did work as a security engineer so I deal with the stuff daily.

• Upvote 1

there's nothing wrong with your router ..... it's just a switch that allows 2 way access to the internet it is intelligent in no way at all.

if your having a problem with people accessing your computer or network .... it is most definitely a software problem ... or lack there of.

you should set your self up with a decent antivirus/ spyware / malware etc

Change your router access password ..... are you sure your network is secure??

also be careful when downloading from unknown sources as downloads like this often have hidden files / programmes attached.

• Upvote 2

there's nothing wrong with your router ..... it's just a switch that allows 2 way access to the internet it is intelligent in no way at all.

if your having a problem with people accessing your computer or network .... it is most definitely a software problem ... or lack there of.

also be careful when downloading from unknown sources as downloads like this often have hidden files / programmes attached.

You have a much better way with words than I do my friend.

Well said.

+1

• Upvote 1

Agreed. 

Gymrat.  You mentioned that you had problems with the router for which they were going to charge you 160 plus dollars to reset for you, correct?  A new laptop usually comes almost bare-bone which means, possibly in your case, only an operating system and a useless antivirus, which are installed inside.  I would stay away from Norton, McAfee, any big ones, ect.  I would try Avast, AVG or even Panda but not the cloud type.   Some information is missing from you so I ask:

1.  Is your laptop Windows based?  Which operating system?  eg. Windows 7, 8, linux ect.

2.  Do you have an antivirus installed?

3.  How are you on Dinarvets now? Via ethernet cable, using a router, internet cafe?  Please explain.

New laptop has windows 8 already installed.

I have norton antivirus installed

I can plug directly into the computer via cable with Time Warner Cable and I get good internet.

The wireless router has a flashing orange light and "yes" I did reset it via the small button in the back, still flashes.

If the router was operating normally it will have a solid blue light.

I attempted to access it after I reset it and still got the flashing orange light.

The problem is in the router, but the tech support from Belkin was only concerning with getting me to pay the $169.99 to clear my computer.

I did a search of wireless connections available and Belkin was NOT one of them ever with the internet plugged in.

I think I will just go buy a new one as suggested by other members here.

Thanks everyone for the help.....................................................................Never buy a BELKIN. :)

Edited by gymrat76541

I quit using link sys,belkin,net gear years ago.

The best is Cradelpoint 3g4g failover if the wired side is down.

Same price as the cheap home versions

I host email and Internet based backups therefore I must be connected at all times.

1 issue in 6 years.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I've had my Belkin for years without any problems.

KK

EDIT: Oh, and I use AVG. It was suggested to us when we first got online in this house 7 years ago by the ISP, never have any problems with that either.

Edited by KiaKaha