Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Going to London and Paris

davidlp

Both were lovely when I was there, and this is my suggestion to you. Search each city specifically and read about what's available. Then make plans based upon the choices which appeal to you the most. Leave time for side trips because that's great fun, and it can be the result of a new friendship, just for having initiated a conversation. Most people are pleased to offer suggestions about places to visit, food, theater, wonderful architecture, exquisite shops, museums. Are you agricultural....well, then, let your fingers do some walking before you go. Excellent gardens abound.

Many on here can offer you our take on places to see, since they were worth our time, but this is your trip.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tuck and Dog

I only have a few days in each city. I am going for a First Step to Success Conference and then staying a few exra days in London and wanted to be able to go to Paris since it is so close. My 17 yr old son is excited. I know we want to eat French Bread and Butter in France.....

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tuck and Dog

I only have a few days in each city. I am going for a First Step to Success Conference and then staying a few exra days in London and wanted to be able to go to Paris since it is so close. My 17 yr old son is excited. I know we want to eat French Bread and Butter in France.....

Do they call French bread, French bread in France......or just bread? huh.gif Either way, sounds like fun. Enjoy it.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

My family is going to London next week. Can you suggest some places to visit? Places to eat?

This is ousakes some research!r first time to Europe

Was in Paris last summer. Don't exchange money at windows - use your credit card - much bett

er rate

Trains are a pain - takes research...expensive...take the slow train TGV costs a lot

Paris is huge - leave enough time to see Louvre and hang out on the banks of the Siene right in the middle of downtown on Fri or Sat nites - this was the MOST fun we had - partying with the Frenchies. They just sit, drink wine, smoke...and talk!

Forget London - Paris is best!

• Upvote 2

thanks hamm55 Ya we learned about the money when in Germany...much better using credit cards. Thanks for the info on the trains and hanging on the weekend....my son wants to know if he will be able to drink wine.....funny he never drinks any on the holidays with the family

I think it is the idea of it

thanks hamm55 Ya we learned about the money when in Germany...much better using credit cards. Thanks for the info on the trains and hanging on the weekend....my son wants to know if he will be able to drink wine.....funny he never drinks any on the holidays with the family

I think it is the idea of it

I'm pretty sure the legal drinking age in France is 16 and as far as I know its not really regulated at all.

when in Paris visit the catacombs .... I go there every time i'm in Paris, it's definitely not for the squeamish and best not to bring young children in although some people do ..... it's an experience !!

the louvre , Eiffel tower , the Arc de Triomphe and from there you can stroll down the Champs-Elysees (if you got plenty of money you could shop there) also along the champs elyeese buying anything is expensive as I found out the first time i was there I think a can of coke ran me €6 lol

If your going for food pretty much everywhere is good sometimes the best food can be had in the back alley restaurants for a reasonable price too, going out drinking is expensive too depending where you go so if your a big drinker bring lots of money ( I was over last autumn for a meeting I was staying in the sacre coeur area and a pint of Hieneken set me back €12.50 but I soon realized a bottle of wine was only €5

best to get a few bottles of wine and snacks from the shops and head down the river bank ...

leave plenty of time to get around places the metro is best, if you go wandering about it's very easy to get lost so I'd say for a first time tourist a sat nav or a map is essential, Paris is huge ..... If your a bit adventurous rent a car or a motorbike and try driving around lol ... you'll need nerves of steel and the patience of a saint.

It's probably best to check out all the tourist sites and see whats about thats of interest to you and your group .... queuing 3+ hours to go up the Eiffel tower isn't for everyone but still worth it.

anyway I hope you have a good holiday without any problems.

• Upvote 3

davidlp - I've been fortunate to go for work, to London on several occasions - the Tower of London is great - all the crown jewels are there, as well as where Ann Boleyn etc from Henry the VIII, was beheaded, dungeons etc. Not sure how old your family members going - but now is a good time as over the summer you cannot get to the tower without a 4 or 5 hour wait due to all the tourists.

Also, there are bus tours that I loved - takes you all over London for a flat rate - you can get on and off that same tour and investigate things like where Sherlock Holmes was alleged to live, the wax museum, Carnaby street - famous in the 60's and 70's and now lots of fun shopping, Buckingham Palace, Windsor castle (outside of London), Big Ben, the Westminster Abbey (where the royal families are married), . Each tour route is different and you can ride the double decker buses - I rode one route all day because of stuff that I stopped off and saw and then climbed back on after I was done with my touring.

Also - a fun creepy one - they give a night walking tour of where Jack the Ripper was alleged to have worked and killed his victums - some of the streets were cobble stone, narrow and dark - no lights and you could easily understand how this could happen. You can walk down some of the streets and run your fingers on either side of the buildings as you walk through them.

I did not eat if possible at hotels - grotesquely expensive and some of the best food was in little pubs on the corner. You eat family style and can order what you want but share the tables with other guests eating and made for the best conversations and discussion. Easy to get around using the tube - LOVE LONDON

If time allows, a trip out to Stonehenge - I could go on and on - we think we're old here in the U.S. when our buildings are 200 years old - and you see their buildings that are 700-800 years old and beyond - AWESOME. May I go with??? :lol::lol:

• Upvote 2

Thanks Machine, Umbertino, and Sage. Lots of good ideas. I like the idea of taking the bus and seeing lots of sites, and deffinately through our other travel we love the out of the way restaurants....we say the whole in the wall places. Any specifics you can remember? Not sure if I am brave enough to do the Jack the Riper walk, but the others are great ideas. I had not thought of the catacombs....My 17 year old thinks the 16 yo drinking age sounds fun (like I said...he has never been big on wine with meal never known him to drink more than a sip....I dont think even at passover....just the thought of it...kids....lol....Again thanks for all the ideas.....If you need an excuse to come along come to the First Steps to Success conference. It is my excuse to go at this time

• Upvote 1

Do the time line in Greenwich. And try for Speakers' Box in Hyde Park, too. Depending on how you get from London to Paris, you might drive by the small Statue of Liberty. As important as it is to me, the bus took us right past it, with little fanfare, and if you're flying between cities, it might not be practical. There's simply so very much to enjoy, and you've been given lots of really good information here. Highly recommend a map - try to pick one up on this side of the water first. Or failing that, look it up on the internet and devote time to studying it. Beware the hot mustard on the concourse of the Eiffel Tower! It's hot!!

Make memories to last a lifetime.

• Upvote 1

My family is going to London next week. Can you suggest some places to visit? Places to eat?

This is our first time to Europe

If you've got at least three days in each of Paris and London I would definately advise looking into the London Pass and the Paris Pass

They will get you into quite a few of the main attractions and you can also get a travel card with the passes that will get you unlimited travel on the Tube in London and the Metro in Paris. The travel card is great because it lets you get around without the hassle of buying fares all the time.

If you have the time in Paris you really should take a day trip out to the Palace of Versailles. It's only a short train ride from central Paris, but you will need pretty much a full day to see both the buildings and the gardens.

The websites linked above give a pretty good run down of what to do and see in both cities.

Have fun!

• Upvote 2

davidlp - can't tell you names of places I ate because I stumbled onto them as I walked the streets - just went inside and ordered my food at the bar and they told me to find a table and that it was okay to share tables etc. I even tried a 1/2 pint - not for me, but food was great.

BTW - EVERYTHING is expensive there - but so much fun. Enjoy and hope we all hear about your great trip upon your return.

• Upvote 1

This is our first time to Europe

When in London, you should check out Chinatown and sample the buffets, superb.

If the weather is ok, walk down through Hyde park and down the mall to the palace.

Suggest you go to Paris on the Eurostar, straight through the tunnel.

• Downvote 1