Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Bloomberg Strikes Again: NYC Bans Food Donations To The Homeless

RodandStaff

Note: I am not posting this to be political... I am posting this to show how a bunch of bureaucratic idiots can stand in the way of helping people in need... period!! dry.gif

Bloomberg Strikes Again: NYC Bans Food Donations To The Homeless

Has The Mayor Totally Eaten Away At The Public's Desire To Do Good?

March 19, 2012 8:33 PM

bloomberg_120131_420_2.jpg?w=300New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (file / credit: Edward Reed / Mayor’s Office)

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s food police have struck again!

Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters.

It’s the “no bagels for you” edict.

“I can’t give you something that’s a supplement to the food you already have? Sorry that’s wrong,” Richter said.

Richter has been collecting food from places like the Ohav Zedek synagogue and bringing it to homeless shelters for more than 20 years, but recently his donation, including a “cholent” or carrot stew, was turned away because the Bloomberg administration wants to monitor the salt, fat and fiber eaten by the homeless.

Richter said he was stunned. He said his familyicon1.png has eaten the same food forever and flourished.

“My father lived to 97; my grandfather lived to 97, and they all enjoyed it and somehow we’re being told that this is no good and I think there is a degree of managementicon1.png that becomes micromanagement and when you cross that line simply what you’re doing is wrong,” Richter said.

Follow this link to watch a news report on this topic: http://newyork.cbslo...o-the-homeless/

But Mayor Bloomberg, a salt-aholic himself, was unapologetic.

“For the things that we run because of all sorts of safety reasons, we just have a policy it is my understanding of not taking donations,” Bloomberg said.

Told that his administration recently enacted the policy, the mayor was Grinch-like.

“If they did in the past they shouldn’t have done it and we shouldn’t have accepted it,” Bloomberg said.

Richter said that over the years he’s delivered more than two tons of food to the homeless. He said Mayor Bloomberg is eating away at his ability to do good.

The ban on food donations was made by an inter-agency task force that includes the departments of Health and Homeless Services

• Upvote 3

If it's really like that ( as reported)..... Then I have to agree with you Rod. ...Hard to understand.

This information has been posted throughout the day on some news media carriers. I have heard first hand accounts of truckloads of donated food being "inspected" and "unhealthy food" (i.e. Macaroni and Cheese being on that list because of the salt content) being rejected and they are refusing to serve that to the droves of folks standing in lines waiting to eat.

NYC has had a ban of the size of soft drinks (16oz. is the largest you can "legally" have) for a few months now... all in the name of "looking out for peoples health". It may include more food related items.... that I am not sure of. This however goes beyond reason. I have seen articles and reports of people having to dive into dumpsters in search of food... and this man has the audacity to try and enforce this kind of food restriction on hungry, starving people. Your right umbertino... it's very hard to understand, and quite honestly burns me up!!! dry.gif

• Upvote 4

Unbelievable :huh: Is this his way of euthanizing the homeless. Makes you wonder where his moral heart is.

I'm sure you won't catch Bloomberg dumpster diving for his food... yup, makes you wonder where their hearts are really at!!! dry.gif

The food police are out of control!!! angry.gif

• Upvote 1

In Texas we are allowed to pick up baked goods from restaurants to distribute to the homeless. There is no law restricting us from doing that. I hope that Mayor Bloomberg will lighten up. Now is not the time for a heavy handed government in New York City. There are way too many homeless people in NYC that need help.

I'm glad that Bloomberg cancelled the New York Marathon. He needed to do that to save face. Good call Bloomberg!

• Upvote 1

Wait a min... they had the run scheduled... and all the water and toilets they had lined up went to the diaster vics... it was insane to schedule a RUN when people couldn't get any help... as ar as turning away ood or the homeless... thats insane too.

• Upvote 3

Wait a min... they had the run scheduled... and all the water and toilets they had lined up went to the diaster vics... it was insane to schedule a RUN when people couldn't get any help... as ar as turning away ood or the homeless... thats insane too.

I just read an article that some of the out of town runners came anyway to help with the disaster relief.... good for them!!! tip_hat.gif

• Upvote 2

I have a horrible opinion on this-- when a dissator like lthis occurs well , you need all the helping hands from what ever place it comes from -short of hollween candy and needles and just good parrenting sense--but SALT , choice for a big gulp or you can't purchase one --comeon---all the fast food 'PICK ONE ' doesn't meet guidelines for daily nutrictional value--they are all bad for you it comes down to choice-your choice

For someone to dictate what the everyday person can eat or drink is ludercrius---Bloomberg is a billionare { look it up folks} --he eats steak , roast beef , lobster , crab , lamb , pick anything you want EVERYNIGHT--unless he is at home [probally better feed there } then having to bump elbows with the crowd --well you get my drift on this---this is so out of mind boggleing that I wpould like just a bit more than a post here --if proven true there is only 1 recourse vote the SMUCK out--- but I am sorry to say that NYC is a dying city , you can't rule with this kind of stupidity and expect to grow the city , the only thing you grow are votes who can buy at walmart the same named meat just a questionable pedigree of where it came from

Lastly if there is too much salt for 2 years and too much sugar for 2 years so be it , the people will survuve--families will survive---children will be fed all from the helping hands and spirit of the Ameerrican people

LIved through Andrew in the keys

LOL!

• Upvote 1

I don't think it could be said it any better capt.cliff!!! tip_hat.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But wait... there's more!!! dry.gif

NYC Mayor Bloomberg bans food donations to homeless shelters (Update)

7c9a864144a5ba1d82a859ce0bc6cd8d.jpg
NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has your back (whether you like it or not).Credits: Getty Images

In a perverse variation on the magnanimous expression “Your money’s no good here,” New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has adopted a new policy that might be encapsulated as “Your donation’s no good here”—except he means it.

The watchdog group

My Food. My Choice!explains:

[T]he [bloomberg] administration is now forbidding you from donating food to government-run homeless shelters because he has to monitor the salt, fat, and calorie content of the food being served.

A mayoral task force and the Department of Homeless Services have joined forces to go beyond just dictating the nutritional standards at the city’s shelters.

Well, isn’t that special? The man who decreed that your

sodium intake is his business andwho spends a quarter million dollars of taxpayers’ money on three personal chefs is now refusing to allow good-hearted New Yorkers to help out their homeless brethren. His reason? Their edible donations may not stack up to his high standards of nutrition and food safety.

So how is his food safety initiative working out? That would be his

system of assigning a letter grade to New York restaurants based on violation points assigned by his crack team of health inspectors. The program, which was launched in 2010, requires eating establishments to display their letter grade in a prominent location on the façade.

What does a restaurant need to do to earn an “A”? Judging from three branches of the coffee chain Starbucks that made the grade,

contamination with fecal organisms is a good start. An investigation by the Department of Clinical Microbiology and Immunology at New York University Langone Medical Center revealed that the establishments tested positive for Enterococcus, fecal strep, E. coli, and Klebsiella.

An article in the New York Post quotes DHS Commissioner Seth Diamond as explaining that the ban on food donations “is consistent with Mayor Bloomberg’s emphasis on improving nutrition for all New Yorkers.” But the article’s author, Jeff Stier, wonders whether “the real driver behind the ban is the Bloomberg dietary diktats.”

With friends like Bloomie, another saying goes, who needs enemies?

UPDATE (3-20, 7:20 p.m.): I received an email from Samantha Levine, Deputy Press Secretary for the Office of the Mayor, that states:

[C]ontrary to NY Post column that ran yesterday, there is no NEW policy (nor has there a change in policy) around food donations to NYC homeless shelters. The Department of Homeless Services actually NEVER took donations: the shelter system is very heavily regulated—even beyond the City’s nutritional guidelines—with specific requirements around food handling and serving that leave little room for donations.

I don't know about you, but that makes me feel much better.

To add pain to misery...non union carpenders volunteering for no pay are being turned away like the electricians were because of union oposition. Now food is being denied.

Liberal Bloomberg was quick to blame conservatives for the lack of progress over Sandy yet he stands in the way blocking any kind of aid.

If it wasn't for the Red Cross & Salvation Army the death toll would be much higher.

Only the private sector can get help to the needy if Libs just stay out of the way.

• Upvote 2

If it wasn't for the Red Cross & Salvation Army the death toll would be much higher.

It's funny how they will take help from the Salvation Army and the Red Cross but turn away others willing to help for free... doesn't make any sense to me Luigi... not one bit!!! confused.gifAnd your right... this is still touch and go for many folks... quite a few still without electricity and it's getting cold up there. There is even another "nor'easter" storm heading there way which could make it even worse than it already is. sad.gif

• Upvote 1

Why would a Billionaire want to be a Mayor anyway? I'll tell you why,P O W E R. Logically then, our Mr. Mayor is truly D R U N K with

P O W E R. Drunk people do weirds things if for only the reason that they can. Allong with that P O W E R goes the self inflated openion you have reached the level of a D E I T Y and you know what is better for others than they themselves do, which brings us to the food program. I have seen enough of these people in my lifetime to realize there is no cure for it.

• Upvote 1

I hope I don't get arrested for saying it and for the record, I live in westen US, but screw the food police! It may be more work but, I would hand deliver my donations to the hands of the homeless themselves. Some people may not have the time, and it may be dangerous in most of the neighborhoods, or some may be uncomfortable with "getting their hands dirty" but...these people need food! Bottom line! They will dye in the streets if they don't have nourishment. Then what will the mayor do? God help those poor people.

• Upvote 2

all bloombergs ideas sgould be tested out on him for one year .. before he decides he wants to make it city law ...lol never heard of .. city law ..wheres the lawmakers in that group .... .. i thought laws had to be passed by state legislature .. not some dictator wanna be mayor... id just walk right past bumbougar .. and say .. show me a law im breaking.. or im going to sue you and the city for harrassement

Edited by dontlop
  • Upvote 1

More "gotta love this" moments from Sandy!!! wink.gif

I so love this...a firefighter will risk their lives to save more than humans during this hurricane. When I see stuff like this pup being rescued from drowning, I remember that there IS hope for the human race. A HUGE shout out to the first responders who work tirelessly through horrible conditions to help ALL those in need!!!

318883_360315867391437_914328898_n.jpg

• Upvote 1