Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Sandy Work Relief Workers Turned Away...

RodandStaff

Non-Union Crews Turned Away From Aiding New Jersey

Watch this short link: http://bit.ly/U4720h

21811_10151233683596178_695071634_n.jpg

Utility workers from Alabama tried to make their way up to New Jersey to volunteer with Hurricane relief efforts.. Only to be TURNED AWAY because they're non-union workers. dry.gif

For crying out loud... that's what's wrong with this country...sad.gif... folks are in dire need to get their electricity restored to try and get their live's back to normal while willing and skilled working crews are turned away just because they are "Non-Union"!!! dry.gifAll I can say is "sad, sad, sad" when it comes down to a petty thing like that, how much more will some have to suffer because of this kind of idiocy??? angry.gif

• Upvote 3

***///

It was all over the news BEFORE Sandy hit that other States were

dispatching crews & equipment to help out.

Not once did we see anyone in authority in the eventually affected States say:

"do not come, we're Union, we'd rather just be in the dark & cold until

obummer gives us billions of Taxpayer's dollars so we can afford Union rates to fix it."

How come we don't see The Gov & his new pal The Pres - arm in arm - on the news

telling the people they're being held hostage by the unions and that's okay by them?

Hey, Christie ---- what say you about this...?

People are literally dying to know. :angry:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

it must be tuff to do such a thing ,, but if those non union workers do just as good a job .. or even a better job .. for alot less money .. how does the union justify their wages ..

unions are always concerned about reality getting in the way of their intolerance of people willing to work for less ..

people in new york place them selves on a higher pedistal that the rest of the common people in the united states ..

just look at the price of their homes .. compared to everyone elses .. the same 1 million dollars condo in new york can actually be built for 50 grand in the real united states .. .. so they made their bed .. thats why they need so much money to rebuild .. .. tell those rich people to give away their fortunes .. to those peole in new york .. it wont happen .. as they cling on to their millions like springstien .. they ask the commoners for their money to be wasted on a 50 thousand dollar home .. but they want to charge 1 million .... i saw the same houses in cleveland ohio .. same neighborhood ,.. same lot sizes .. i saw those homes in cleveland selling for 40 .. grand .. but in new jersey .. that same home is 800 thousand ,, think about it .. they are special .. their houses are worth more than yours is .. because they deemed they property worth more ..its made out of 2x4 4 by 8 sheets of building supplys // same as it is everywhere else .. but theres is worth more .. lol .. not to me ..

• Upvote 3

it must be tuff to do such a thing ,, but if those non union workers do just as good a job .. or even a better job .. for alot less money .. how does the union justify their wages ..

unions are always concerned about reality getting in the way of their intolerance of people willing to work for less ..

people in new york place them selves on a higher pedistal that the rest of the common people in the united states ..

just look at the price of their homes .. compared to everyone elses .. the same 1 million dollars condo in new york can actually be built for 50 grand in the real united states .. .. so they made their bed .. thats why they need so much money to rebuild .. .. tell those rich people to give away their fortunes .. to those peole in new york .. it wont happen .. as they cling on to their millions like springstien .. they ask the commoners for their money to be wasted on a 50 thousand dollar home .. but they want to charge 1 million .... i saw the same houses in cleveland ohio .. same neighborhood ,.. same lot sizes .. i saw those homes in cleveland selling for 40 .. grand .. but in new jersey .. that same home is 800 thousand ,, think about it .. they are special .. their houses are worth more than yours is .. because they deemed they property worth more ..its made out of 2x4 4 by 8 sheets of building supplys // same as it is everywhere else .. but theres is worth more .. lol .. not to me ..

I won't argue with you on already built homes dontlop.... so true, but with the rising cost of materials I don't think you could have a home built from scratch for $50,000 anywhere these days, just saying from my experience. There are many spots in the U.S. where property values are still reasonable and not over inflated. It seems the two coast are the worst for high dollar homes from what I can tell. Your points are very valid though, so I'm not disagreeing with you in the least. wink.gif

Its easy sarge! New York is a Mob run state they control the unions.

Those trucks!They could have stayed and worked for FREE and truly showed there love of people.

But they are like romneyites

where they think they have to be paid to breath to help there country! All those who left

are sorry excuses for people.If our device was ready it would be there helping folks for FREE!

I wouldnt ask one thin dime for it and I support Obama so wheres your gripe at now?

Its only obvious that some have so much hatred towards our country there negatives almost bring

some of us down with them BUT NOT ME!

Helping is helping but holding your hand out first is just greedy! All those companies who left

I wont be doing business with them.Soon to be putting there no GIVING hearts right out of business!

You have to give to recieve not recieve to give.

Did you ever think about that?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

I won't argue with you on already built homes dontlop.... so true, but with the rising cost of materials I don't think you could have a home built from scratch for $50,000 anywhere these days, just saying from my experience. There are many spots in the U.S. where property values are still reasonable and not over inflated. It seems the two coast are the worst for high dollar homes from what I can tell. Your points are very valid though, so I'm not disagreeing with you in the least. wink.gif

your right .. but a one bedroom condo in new york sells for a million dollars .... pre fab homes costs arent much more than that once you remove the profit margins.. but once you remove the profit margin and expenditure costs form something built in new york city .. your removing 80% of the actual costs .. ya know if these workers are so much beter than everywhere eklse you would think they could build it even cheaper ,, with all their skills ..

the only other thing we can concider is .. raiseing everything up to their examples of what things are worth .. kinda even the playing field .. maybe my home should be worth several million dollars .. heck ai own a couple acres of land with my home .. how much is a acre of land according to those in new york city .. maybe we should rv our world using new york as our role model ..after it is one country .. indivisable .. under god .. with liberty and justice for all .. not just for some who are gang members which is what amodern day union is .. a gang..

• Upvote 1

Those trucks!They could have stayed and worked for FREE and truly showed there love of people.

where they think they have to be paid to breath to help there country! All those who left

are sorry excuses for people.If our device was ready it would be there helping folks for FREE!

I wouldnt ask one thin dime for it and I support Obama so wheres your gripe at now?

Its only obvious that some have so much hatred towards our country there negatives almost bring

Helping is helping but holding your hand out first is just greedy! All those companies who left

I wont be doing business with them.Soon to be putting there no GIVING hearts right out of business!

I'm sorry PG but you really need to read and/or listen to what is being posted before going off on a tangent.

These crews did not leave because they were not going to be paid. They left because in order to stay they had

to sign documentation that made them UNION. They refused as they come from a right-to-work state and

there is no requirement to join a union. If you want to blame someone, blame the UNIONs in those states

for refusing help from non-union workers. The UNIONS turned them away - refused to allow them to assist

without signing their UNION agreement.

You probably also think it is okay for FEMA to block private faith based teams from helping too. There is a

convoy of semi's from Texas sitting by the road in Orange Cty, NY because FEMA will not let them in the

area. I might add they were asked to help by New York City, but FEMA is stopping them. They have food, clothing,

repair and construction crews all waiting to help. They are capable of feeding 30,000 people A DAY, but they

sit on the highway waiting because FEMA is stopping them.

:rocking-chair:

• Upvote 6

40 Grand.....that's pretty upscale for Cleveland. :D

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry PG but you really need to read and/or listen to what is being posted before going off on a tangent.

These crews did not leave because they were not going to be paid. They left because in order to stay they had

to sign documentation that made them UNION. They refused as they come from a right-to-work state and

there is no requirement to join a union. If you want to blame someone, blame the UNIONs in those states

for refusing help from non-union workers. The UNIONS turned them away - refused to allow them to assist

without signing their UNION agreement.

You probably also think it is okay for FEMA to block private faith based teams from helping too. There is a

convoy of semi's from Texas sitting by the road in Orange Cty, NY because FEMA will not let them in the

area. I might add they were asked to help by New York City, but FEMA is stopping them. They have food, clothing,

repair and construction crews all waiting to help. They are capable of feeding 30,000 people A DAY, but they

sit on the highway waiting because FEMA is stopping them.

:rocking-chair:

Thanks TG... I wub.gif You!!! blush.gif You said it, and it's a sad, sad state of affairs when there are suffering people waiting.. and help is stopped dead in it's tracks because of ... well, greed, stupidity, whatever you want to call it!!!!angry.gif

• Upvote 2

they have been throwing our dollar around and discard it as if it is nothing for years in those liberal strongholds .. then they want us to pay to rebuild a 50 thousand dollar home for a million each . they can start working foir 15 dollars an hour in new york like the rest of the country .. they should go volenter to rebuild new york after all it is their pride and joy .. get springstien and madonna to go and pick up the pieces .. not sing a song and ask us to pay for it .. they got millions ,, like mcartny .. and that skinny guy from the stones .. the new york times people .. get off your buts and pick up the mess .. theres 7 million people in new york city .. and this is to much for them to handle ,, yet they want our money .. but not our workers .. bah humbug .. i dont buy into it .. 7 million peole could of put a huge dent in clean up .. roll in the dumpsters .. rip out the soaked carpeting .. start up an incinerator .. burn it .. . oh no thats poluting .. in their eyes ,, ship it out to our lands away from their city .. then its not poluting

• Upvote 2

I worked in new orleans and worked with non-union and union for a year. Do you realise how much money it just cost to ship crews and trucks who average 6 mpg and overnite housing cost? I guarantee you the union trucks are charging double or triple what a non-union truck charges fema. To my knowledge and i hae been doing this for 30 years i never seen crews turned (fema Disasters)back because of union and non union. Just shows you barry is more worried about his union cronnies than the people who have no electric :angry: powergeneration this is one of the worst post i've seen in awhile congradulations :lol:

The Unions just need time to 'negotiate'

the contract for the repair work....They cant

have just 'anyone' butting in, and messing up

the 'deal'

Everybody needs to be on a equal pay scale. :lol::lol:

• Upvote 2

Thanks for talking down to me.TG you set me straight and I appologize!

Your under arrest for cutting that limb off that powerline!

Your under arrest for picking up that fallen powerline and putting back on the pole.

Your under arrest for giving that food to the homeless!

Your under arrest for even driving your trucks into OUR state!

How dare you humanitarians come here to help us during our time of need.

Who would enforce this while on camera?

And who would like to look like a horses arse on TV when they made these arrest?

Unless it was unsafe for these folks to go ahead I WOULD HAVE! with a open heart

and a camera in hand for those opposed.Its just funny the post is aimed at obama

not wanting to help but he did but I get reemed for defending him.

A tangent?

Help is Help if New york didnt want anyones help why ask for it in the first place!Fema

Was it so hard to sign a worthless piece of paper to aid in mankind?

Or just drive off and do nothing?

Are machine gun using UNIONS in control over humanity?

Whoever would stop those trucks Fema or anyone else on camera would be the biggest

a-holes of the year and there words would'nt be worth spit from this day on.And I would show his face

on TV everyday until he resigned!There are ways of getting things done.

But let me guess Obama would arrest all humanitarians and there efforts.Thats what you wanted to see.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Wow dude... what are you on? First off, the original news cast didn't mention the president at all, only Union vs. Non-Union. Sure, posts after that brought in those aspects... what do you expect??? blink.gif Btw... your not the only charitable person on the planet... get a grip my friend!!! wink.gif Do you get off just trying to be controversial? Oh.. right... don't confuse your rant with the facts!!! rolleyes.gif And I would tread very lightly with T.G., she handled your post very well imo and she is a class act, so if you wanna challenge that good luck!!! emot-shakehead.gif

• Upvote 6

Thanks for talking down to me.TG you set me straight and I appologize!

Your under arrest for cutting that limb off that powerline!

Your under arrest for picking up that fallen powerline and putting back on the pole.

Your under arrest for giving that food to the homeless!

Your under arrest for even driving your trucks into OUR state!

How dare you humanitarians come here to help us during our time of need.

Who would enforce this while on camera?

And who would like to look like a horses arse on TV when they made these arrest?

Unless it was unsafe for these folks to go ahead I WOULD HAVE! with a open heart

and a camera in hand for those opposed.Its just funny the post is aimed at obama

not wanting to help but he did but I get reemed for defending him.

A tangent?

Help is Help if New york didnt want anyones help why ask for it in the first place!Fema

Was it so hard to sign a worthless piece of paper to aid in mankind?

Or just drive off and do nothing?

Are machine gun using UNIONS in control over humanity?

Whoever would stop those trucks Fema or anyone else on camera would be the biggest

a-holes of the year and there words would'nt be worth spit from this day on.And I would show his face

on TV everyday until he resigned!There are ways of getting things done.

But let me guess Obama would arrest all humanitarians and there efforts.Thats what you wanted to see.

Its not the fact the its union or non union working its the fact that FEMA SUCKS AND THEY WANT THE ARMY,NATIONAL GUARD IN PLACE BEFORE THEY DO ANYTHING BECAUSE THEY WANT TO CREATE DESPERATION IN THE MASSES. I'VE BEEN THROUGH 2 REALLY BAD HURRICANES AND MOUTHS LATTER THINGS GOT BACK TO NORMAL. This doesn't have anyhing to do with unions and EVERYTHING TO DO WITH GOV. RUNNED FEMA!!! JMHO

• Upvote 1

I read that the union heard they were coming and met them at the state line and wouldn't let them come into New York, Authorities were called, and of course union bosses with union orders came as well, and the volunteers were turned away. One time many years ago, there were seven firefighters who were killed in an explosion near Kansas City, and before we knew what was happening, firefighters from all over the country came here to support our guys at a memorial. These guys asked for nothing, would have served anywhere they were needed while they were here, and simply came to support their "brothers." I have heard of other communities who sent their own employees in service industries to help out in emergencies in other communities or states, and like them, these guys probably would not have charged a dime for their services, would have just considered helping out to be the decent thing to do. Also in New York, Bloomberg would not allow our American Civil Defence workers to come in to New York to help. He said he only wanted New York police and firefighters to be allowed to carry guns in his city. But the NY guys were working beyond their endurance, and were often exhausted, so Civil Defense workers would have saved many instances of theft and would have pitched in to help. If Bloomberg were my mayor, I couldn't wait to get rid of him. Can't buy more than 16 oz of soda, and other granddaddy things he has decreed to take care of "his people" makes him just a tad too proprietary for me. I would not want Bloomberg to think he parentally "owned" me. And I've had to take help from others far too many times in my life to think ill of those who offer help in hard times. Thankfully, I have also been given the chance to help fairly often too, but in America, that goes both ways.

• Upvote 2

Yes it is a shame the way money and power plays run this country. I remember when i was working for my Father in law witch owns the second biggest crane company on the east coast. Remember when the 747 took off from National air port in the 1980s and crashed in the Potomac river, folks drowning, freezing to death, on fire the death toll was amazing , in a snow storm. His company had two Cranes on site 35 ton Groves. with in 1/2 hour we had 20 more cranes , tractor trailers loaded with cribbing, concrete buckets, baskets, trash boxes lined up headed to the scene to help lift people to safety and save life's. We were on our way 1/2 hour from them . The man made the call to DC to tell them we were on our way to help save the people in the water . The man on the other end of the phone for the DC government told him NO that we would not be allowed to set foot on the land, that he had to be a union company to help. The Company that responded was right behind our company and there first crane left there yard 3 hours later. So how many people lost there life's because of governmental bullshit and Union bullshit. WTF is wrong with this Fd up country is right. :angry: And we are sapose to be Proud Americans, Oh and by the way My Father in laws service was FREE and the other company got PAID for there work to drag bodys to shore. :unsure:

• Upvote 3

Thats right Rodandstaff the original post was great! and I agree! I dam sure would'nt have drove all the

way there for nothing.And so you will know I HAVE to take 16 differant meds to stay alive you know missing a arm

and eye and a piece of lung fighting for this country.Also I like TexasGranny she is a class act! No dispute there.

I know I am not the only giver in the usa.My post only meant put your money differances aside and help these folks!

It makes me mad everything is about money money money.I guess we have to pay the union bosses

30 pieces of silver to see the light again?

SGT brought the president into this and was disputing that.But only my post gets corrected.

Just because I dont like mitt doesnt mean all of my post are hateful rants of anger against your incumbant.

Even if Mitt wins I will still follow our country and its leaders.nothings changed.

I do wish the people of new york a speedy recovery and pray for them.

I apologize to anyone who thinks my views are hateful in any way.

Better yet just block me why read what I have to say anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Thats right Rodandstaff the original post was great! and I agree! I dam sure would'nt have drove all the

way there for nothing.And so you will know I HAVE to take 16 differant meds to stay alive you know missing a arm

and eye and a piece of lung fighting for this country.Also I like TexasGranny she is a class act! No dispute there.

I know I am not the only giver in the usa.My post only meant put your money differances aside and help these folks!

It makes me mad everything is about money money money.I guess we have to pay the union bosses

30 pieces of silver to see the light again?

SGT brought the president into this and was disputing that.But only my post gets corrected.

Just because I dont like mitt doesnt mean all of my post are hateful rants of anger against your incumbant.

Even if Mitt wins I will still follow our country and its leaders.nothings changed.

I do wish the people of new york a speedy recovery and pray for them.

I apologize to anyone who thinks my views are hateful in any way.

Better yet just block me why read what I have to say anyway.

I'm sorry PG, I mean no disrespect about your med's situation... my humble apologies. I just have to be quite honest and say it's hard at times to follow your posts. I know your smart, passionate, and as I stated before, it looks like you often like to just wade on into situations without much tact or regard for others feelings. I can understand that, but lets get a few facts straight about this situation. Do you think those in need give a rip if the workers who have driven miles with very expensive equipment care that they are being charged by the utility company's to have their power restored? (Albeit at no doubt a much cheaper rate than the Union counterparts). I am a business man myself, and occasionally do work for gratis, but when these crews have so much overhead (gas, food, housing, wear and tear on vehicles not to mention the supplies they had to bring with them) I don't think anyone is going to look down on them for charging a reasonable rate. Quite the contrary, I'm sure the folks on the receiving end are quite grateful! As stated by others it's the Unions and it seems like Fema as well that is causing problems and slowing down the relief efforts. My opinion? When something like this comes up ..."all" efforts to shortcut the red tape need to be made... cut the crap out of the equation and get these people the help they need asap!!! That's my point... nuff said, thank you!!! wink.gif

Yes it is a shame the way money and power plays run this country. I remember when i was working for my Father in law witch owns the second biggest crane company on the east coast. Remember when the 747 took off from National air port in the 1980s and crashed in the Potomac river, folks drowning, freezing to death, on fire the death toll was amazing , in a snow storm. His company had two Cranes on site 35 ton Groves. with in 1/2 hour we had 20 more cranes , tractor trailers loaded with cribbing, concrete buckets, baskets, trash boxes lined up headed to the scene to help lift people to safety and save life's. We were on our way 1/2 hour from them . The man made the call to DC to tell them we were on our way to help save the people in the water . The man on the other end of the phone for the DC government told him NO that we would not be allowed to set foot on the land, that he had to be a union company to help. The Company that responded was right behind our company and there first crane left there yard 3 hours later. So how many people lost there life's because of governmental bullshit and Union bullshit. WTF is wrong with this Fd up country is right. :angry: And we are sapose to be Proud Americans, Oh and by the way My Father in laws service was FREE and the other company got PAID for there work to drag bodys to shore. :unsure:

That's hard to hear Biker... and it makes my blood boil. Save people while they are alive... or wait til their dead so the union guys can haul their bodies out of the water??? How hard of a choice is that??? angry.gif God help us as a nation if that's all life means to us anymore!!! sad.gif

In response to No tact and No regard to others? so much for your appology.

Those workers would have gotten paid by there own states. who would dispute the work

that they have done.If you plan on helping others as to Volunteer then why worry about your pay?

What your saying is they saw destruction and rubbed there hands together knowing hey we can make

a killing here.Why not get paid for helping others and even at a greater scale then we used to make.

They did drive there to help or did they?

If they turned those trucks around and said we dont need you then they made the correct choice.

They still get paid for driving there.I mean what are they going to do if they just drove by them

and said we are going to help anyway shoot them? I guess that there is no scissors big enough to cut

all the red tape our government has caused.Also its the folks that are residents that dont want

anyone there because of looting.Another problem.A looter is the lowest form and should be shot on site.

Its the only reason I see someone's help being turned away.Either they were greedy or just didnt want

to wait. I know fema isnt very good but greatness overcomes greed.

I stand by those who volunteer there time without a profit because they will indeed be rewarded.

Dont make me out to be a bad guy because I am not.I care beyond what that word means and love

my fellow man.I know its hard to follow my posts I am a confused man with good cause.

but if downing me helps to brighten your day then down me.

I have never liked unions because they are unfair to the real workers.

I was in the AFL CIO operating engineers local 501 and they truly suuccked.Pure Greed!

• Upvote 1

****////

Christie & Romney were quick enough to act on photo ops over this thing....

Where are THEY on this topic - is our question!?

It's a valid concern, P'GEN!

We'd like to see them turn this around on behalf of the victims!

The victims have a right to know where they stand on this.

They are desperate and should be afforded ALL HELP OFFERED regardless !

(Granny's right - read carefully!)

• Upvote 1

With a little looking into this... I appears NO ONE was turned away. The main Co. making the claim has now said they were "Confused".

The other companies dragged into the news blitz... denied it from the beginning... did their work with no problems... and are on their way home.

Here's something to get you started... if you don't believe me there is plenty more... Google... "Workers turned away NY"... I added the word "True". smile.gif

Hummmm... Where have I seen this picture before??? And Yes Granny is right... READ CAREFULLY!

Confusion causes utility crew to return from recovery effort

Updated: Nov 03, 2012 10:33 AM MDT By WAFF.com Staff - email 19981857_BG1.JPG (Source: Derrick Moore)

DECATUR, AL (WAFF) - A Decatur Utilities crew left Alabama to help with storm recovery in New Jersey, but did not make the trip because of what they are now calling confusion over union paperwork.

Related Content

Slideshow:

1856833_G.jpg

Utility crews volunteered with Sandy recovery. See photos.

The six-man crew staged in Virginia, but Decatur Utilities said they were never able to get in touch with officials or utility companies in New York or New Jersey. While the crew stood down in Virginia, Decatur Utilities officials claimed they received a union contract they thought they would have to agree to before helping storm victims.

General Manager Ray Hardin appeared on Fox Business Channel Friday morning saying, "We were presented documents from IBEW that required our folks to affiliate with the unions and that was something we could not agree to."

Decatur Utilities later released a statement expanding on that, "Upon arriving at a staging area in Virginia, crews were held in place pending clarification of documents received from IBEW that implied a requirement of our employees to agree to union affiliation while working in the New York and New Jersey areas. It was and remains our understanding that agreeing to those requirements was a condition of being allowed to work in those areas."

Late Friday at a press conference, Hardin said the documents actually came from Electric Cities of Alabama, a coalition of the state's municipally owned utilities.

Bottom line, it appears now that Decatur Utilities wrongly assumed they would have to agree to the union contract before traveling to New Jersey to help with recovery efforts.

The IBEW said in times of crisis, help is welcomed from union and non-union utility workers.

Hardin said as they waited for confirmation on the documents, crews received word that Seaside Heights had received the assistance they needed from other sources.

"At this stage, it is not clear who is alleged to have turned the crew away and the company that employs the affected workers has denied the claim," said IBEW President Ed Hill in a statement. "IBEW local leaders in New Jersey have reiterated what has been the long standing record of our union – in times of crisis all help is welcome and we pull together with everyone to meet the needs of the public. We have communicated this to the office of New Jersey Governor Christie as well."

The crew from Decatur Utilities attempted to look for work in other areas, but Hardin said based on the uncertainty of other union requirements, they made the decision to return home after being stalled in Virginia most of the day Thursday.

Other utility crews from Alabama are still helping with storm cleanup. Huntsville Utilities said they were not turned away and are in Long Island, New York. Joe Wheeler EMC said they did not respond to New Jersey, but did travel to Maryland and headed home once they were finished.

http://www.waff.com/...-sandy-recovery

IBEW says all assistance welcome, regardless of union status

Posted: Nov 02, 2012 12:50 PM MDT Updated: Nov 02, 2012 12:50 PM MDT By Mark Wilder - email

19987981_BG1.gif WASHINGTON, D.C. (WSFA) - The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers issued a statement today denying knowledge of any union shop turning Alabama utility crews away from Sandy recovery.

Here is the IBEW news release:

November 2, 2012

Statement from IBEW International President Ed Hill on Hurricane Sandy Clean-Up

(Washington, DC) -- Thousands of International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers members are working around the clock to restore power and clean up the damage left in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. Many have traveled hundreds of miles from more than a dozen states to help with the effort, risking their own personal safety to get affected communities back online. It is the policy of this union and the companies we represent to welcome assistance during major natural disasters – regardless of union status.

There have been reports that a nonunion crew was turned away from work in New Jersey. At this stage, it is not clear who is alleged to have turned the crew away and the company that employs the affected workers has denied the claim.

IBEW local leaders in New Jersey have reiterated what has been the long standing record of our union –in times of crisis all help is welcome and we pull together with everyone to meet the needs of the public. We have communicated this to the office of New Jersey Governor Christie as well.

It is unfortunate that at a time when skilled line workers are working around the clock to help devastated communities, sketchy reports should cast a pall over these efforts. The real story is that our members and others are working side by side to help people in New Jersey and all affected states get their power back and recover from the effects of the storm.

The IBEW will continue to give it our all, working with anyone who shares our commitment to safety and service to ensure relief for the people of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

http://www.waff.com/...87981/ibew-says

U.S. News

Alabama utilities deny anti-union 'rumor'

(6)|| | Published: Nov. 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM HUNTSVILLE, Ala., Nov. 2 (UPI) -- Three Alabama utility companies Friday denied reports their crews weren't permitted to help restore power in New Jersey because the workers were non-union.

Several conservative media organizations -- including Fox News and the Drudge Report -- picked up a story from an Alabama TV station that crews from Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Electrical Membership Corp. weren't allowed to help with electrical service restoration in New Jersey because they don't belong to a union.

A third Alabama utility, Decatur Utilities, said its employees were asked to affiliate with a union before starting to work on the power restoration in the aftermath of superstorm Sandy, AL.com reported....

Huntsville Utilities spokes Bill Yell said nine of his company's employees were working in New Jersey.

"That's a rumor," he said of the report that workers who traveled to New Jersey to help out were being turned away.

Joe Wheeler EMC said on its website reports that its workers were turned away from Hurricane Sandy relief efforts "are not true."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/T.../#ixzz2BNjpVofm

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

***///

Thanks for the update, MAGS...

We don't trust unions as far as we can throw 'em.

We're friends with some of our local electric folks here who sent crews & will

definitely talk to them personally!

Something stinks, (when does it not when unions are involved?) and

we'll get to the bottom of it.

We doubt this is the stuff of Urban Legend, though.

• Upvote 1