Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A LOT

Maserati

I will go ahead and play this game.

I find it odd when the word loose is used instead of lose. Often you can see people use "loosing" when it is actually "losing".

The tie is loose. (not lose)

The Cowboys always find a way to lose a game. (not loose)

The Cowboys are losing the game. (not loosing)

Unless they have an accent. :D

Of course I may have made myself surely a few or not so few grammar mistakes in my life...

U-man, you have a 429 free pass for any grammar mistakes you may make on this forum, my friend. Your impeccable grammar is much better than many of us who are native English speakers. I wouldn't even know where to start in Italian.

Best regards my friend.

lol.

Yes... That's the (infamous) one.

I stand corrected. haha My students would love this.

What about everyone? Is that correct? dry.gif

In what way? It's a word in English, and therefore, can be used generally. But is there some specific way of using it about which you are asking? Other than just general usage, I mean?

Thank you and agreed on everything you stated my Friend... Sorry ....I ( as usual, I know...) ran out of pluses.. I owe you one...

No, I didn't check yet your Blue Cheer post... Will do that in a minute.

Got your plus covered, Umbertino. Nice post Wpsmit...The values, intelligence and

character that is displayed on this site every day, is at times, very uplifting...Truely hope to

have an opportunity to meet many of you one day.

U-man, you have a 429 free pass for any grammar mistakes you may make on this forum, my friend. Your impeccable grammar is much better than many of us who are native English speakers. I wouldn't even know where to start in Italian.

Best regards my friend.

Very kind of you and it's appreciated. .. Thanks my Friend.

Got your plus covered, Umbertino. Nice post Wpsmit...The values, intelligence and

character that is displayed on this site every day, is at times, very uplifting...Truely hope to

have an opportunity to meet many of you one day.

Thank you my Friend for covering it... That's appreciated.

I was very fortunate when I first started school. The family migrated from Canada and just begining to learn the English language. My first eight years of school I was taught by Catholic Nuns. Wow it still sends chills down my spine. :wacko::woot::shakehead: Will never forget those eight years

Here are two (2) of my pet peves:!

I want to go to the store, too. Too means "also"

Two of my pet peeves: Two means "the number which comes after one."

The only other "to" is used like in "to the store."

This is your forum. (meaning "belonging to" or showing possession.

You're a great person. (a shortened version or contration for "You are."

Maybe that will help someone get their (meaning possession)--not there (meaning a place like here) grammar a lot better.

From cdg--an old-timey grammar teacher. :D

• Upvote 1

I am very guilty of attempting to be helpful and I am often PERCEIVED as just being CRITICAL. The fact is, like it or not, PERCEPTION is more important that intent so much of the time. If an attorney went into court wearing a plaid suit and tennis shoes, how many of us would take that person very seriously?

• Upvote 1

Maybe that will help someone get their (meaning possession)--not there (meaning a place like here) grammar a lot better.

I admit that as a Foreigner ( non-American) who loves English and particularly American English ( I love languages to begin with) I'm surprised myself to see that at times....Then again.... American English is still ( relatively speaking) such a young sector ( pls pass me the word) of the English language that it has to be a little bit restless also in a positive way in that it's extremely creative, reinventing words, etc... Typical of a young , dynamic Nation ( and People)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like this thread alot allot a lot! A refresher course never hurts anybody, anyone, nobody. Francie I think you should pick a "thread of the day" and pick it apart and explain the grammer, english and spelling rules. If you don't use it, you lose it. I would certainly appreciate a free lesson!

Hi Gang

I try not to be critical and would never correct someone in polite conversation (being perfectly imperfect myself) but I can't help but notice how overused the word "GOT" has become. As in..."You've got mail" or "we've got to go". Stretch it out and "you have got mail" and "we have got to go"...just unnecessary use of the word got. You have mail. We have to go. Actually, now that I think about it, who cares?! Can't believe I GOT my feet wet with this post (correct usage)!

• Upvote 1

Hi Gang

I try not to be critical and would never correct someone in polite conversation (being perfectly imperfect myself) but I can't help but notice how overused the word "GOT" has become. As in..."You've got mail" or "we've got to go". Stretch it out and "you have got mail" and "we have got to go"...just unnecessary use of the word got. You have mail. We have to go. Actually, now that I think about it, who cares?! Can't believe I GOT my feet wet with this post (correct usage)!

Snotrocket, I like you! And your very first post!! Way to go! :tiphat:

cdg

cdg, you forgot to add they're. And by the way, there is always the word tu-tu to add to "to, too and too." Just sayin'. :D As in "My daughter went to the ballerina shop for new slippers and bought an outfit so now she's up to two tu-tus, too."

What fun! Playing with the English language! (Yes, I know Francie, they're imperfect sentances.) :P

• Upvote 2

I like this thread alot allot a lot! A refresher course never hurts anybody, anyone, nobody. Francie I think you should pick a "thread of the day" and pick it apart and explain the grammer, english and spelling rules. If you don't use it, you lose it. I would certainly appreciate a free lesson!

WorkerBee, I never, ever mind helping anyone who asks, nor would I mind offering a class now and then for people who want to understand a specific area of grammar, punctuation, or writing skills, but I would want to do it in a thread of its own. The last thing I want to do is to waltz in here "all high and mighty," as they say, and rip apart a whole thread full of unsuspecting people every day. haha They would begin to hate it whenever they saw me. haha My personal rule is this: I correct essays, not my friends. And quite honestly, I suspect strongly that this may explain, at least in part, why I still have my friends. haha

cdg, you forgot to add they're. And by the way, there is always the word tu-tu to add to "to, too and too." Just sayin'. :D As in "My daughter went to the ballerina shop for new slippers and bought an outfit so now she's up to two tu-tus, too."

What fun! Playing with the English language! (Yes, I know Francie, they're imperfect sentances.) :P

They are not particularly imperfect, merely incomplete. haha And if there is anything I truly love to do, its to have fun with someone else who enjoys playing with the language.

And this one: right, wright, and write The wheel wright used his right hand as he began to write notes to himself. :)

"Every one of the songs at that wedding were beautiful and everyone in the wedding party looked wonderful."

"And a good time was had by all," as my hometown newspaper, The Mountain Echo , used to say when reporting social events in several small towns in Marion County Arkansas.

• Upvote 1

WorkerBee, I never, ever mind helping anyone who asks, nor would I mind offering a class now and then for people who want to understand a specific area of grammar, punctuation, or writing skills, but I would want to do it in a thread of its own. The last thing I want to do is to waltz in here "all high and mighty," as they say, and rip apart a whole thread full of unsuspecting people every day. haha People would begin to hate it whenever they saw me. haha My personal rule is this: I correct essays, not my friends. And quite honestly, I suspect strongly that this may explain, at least in part, why I still have my friends. haha

Well I for one would be grateful. I correspond via email to clients on a daily basis. When I need to keep it professional, I try to be consise but it ends up being choppy. Just like this response....choppy, choppy. I guess I was ridiculed for run on sentences when I was in school. So now, I run in the opposite direction. Chop Chop! :lol: