Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

UN: Iraq to hand over archives to Kuwait

* UN: Iraq informs int”l community readiness to hand over some archives to Kuwait

November 22nd, 2011 06:24 pm · Posted in NEWS (Iraq & World Currency)

UNITED NATIONS, Nov 22 (KUNA) — Iraq on Tuesday informed the President of the Security Council, Portugal, that it was ready to hand over to Kuwaiti officials some of the archives looted during the 1990 invasion, in implementation of the Council’s relevant resolutions.

Iraqi Ambassador Hamid Al-Bayati told the Council president in a letter circulated today, that the Iraqi Foreign Minister sent a letter to the Kuwait Embassy in Baghdad informing them of the existence of 136 microfilm cassettes that include the official archive of the official newspaper ‘Kuwait Today.’ The letter did not mention when the letter was sent to the Kuwaiti Embassy. The cassettes, he said, are in good condition and ready for transmission.

The cassettes, he added, were handed over by an Iraqi citizen to the Iraqi Foreign Ministry. No date was mentioned either. “I have the honour to inform you that the Iraqi Government has implemented the recommendations contained in the Secretary-General’s report of last June and that approval was obtained from the Iraqi authorities to form a committee headed by a representative from the Foreign Ministry.

The committee’s members, he indicated, include representatives from the General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers, the Ministries of Defence, Interior, Finance, Justice and Higher Education and Scientific Research and the Central Bank of Iraq. All of the representatives, he insisted, are at least at the rank of General Director, and will be in charge of coordinating the efforts relating to Kuwaiti national archives. Kuwait insists on the return of all its national archives belonging to its different ministries that were looted by forces of former Iraqi regime during the 1990-91 seven-month occupation.

http://www.kuna.net.kw/NewsAgenciesPublicSite/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2204147&Language=en

• Upvote 1

Interesting little tidbit here. Early last summer a small blurp on Yahoo about how a large amount of government records, without saying who they belonged to, had been located at the bottom of a cistern. They had been flown to the U.S. for restoration by the CIA. Use of the word cistern is a little misleading. From the picture it was clear it was something else. The article claimed that they had been placed(?) there by the former despot of Iraq. It would have been considered a greater insult than destroying them. The folks at Langley will never get the credit they deserve for doing this work.

Edited by mcuman
  • Upvote 1

Interesting little tidbit here. Early last summer a small blurp on Yahoo about how a large amount of government records, without saying who they belonged to, had been located at the bottom of a cistern. They had been flown to the U.S. for restoration by the CIA. Use of the word cistern is a little misleading. From the picture it was clear it was something else. The article claimed that they had been placed(?) there by the former despot of Iraq. It would have been considered a greater insult than destroying them. The folks at Langley will never get the credit they deserve for doing this work.

Well, I will start. Thank you Langley! Go America! We are the best :D

I can never remember all the words... Go to timbuktu and back again id do anything... Anything for you lol

Thanks Nani. I got it. Are we all showing our age? B)

I keep hearing the song from Oliver in this.

Oh great. This whole thing is now driving us to refer to obscure show tunes. LOL Geez do we need this RV, just as much for our sanity as well as our bank accounts!

I'd Do Anything.

( In high school, I played Charlie Bates, Fagan's number one, until Oliver came along)

Yeah, I remember hearing something about it on the radio.