Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

the X factor has begun

Not true. There were over 2,000 applicants to take my place when I left Baghdad in 07 as a DOD contractor. There are no shortages of voluteers in this tough economy. Many can't invest in the ID if they are out of work. Believe me, no shortage of contractors.

• Upvote 2

The tax free money is up to $96,000 you are not going to make that with KBR as a mechanic. I worked for them 10 years, started in Somolia in 1993. till 2003. Just remember you are just a body count to these american companies. I have been contracting for 30 years plus. Yea it is a good life and good money, that is why I live in Europe. And YES I do pay taxes on anything over 96,000. Social Security and Medicare gets taken out. Social Security you pay into up to $106,00 and Medicare they always take out every pay day. If you get with a good company in Iraq or Afghanistan you can make $150,000 per year plus sign bonus. There are sacrifices you have to make there, like being away from your family, living conditions, heat, 12 hour work day 7 days a week, living on a FOB ( Foward Operation Base ) in a Tent with 8 to 10 people. You get R&R, time to travel and see family. Right now I am between contract and will go back to work in Oct. Leaving for Thailad with family for three weeks this month. Enjoy Hopefully while I am there something will happen with this RV. I have been on this train ride since 2004, just getting a little tired.

You need 330 days out of the States to enjoy that Tax Free Status. If not you owe Uncle Sam some money. But all and all it is a good life and even better if you are single and yes they do hire ladies.

Its always made sense to me that the US banks and the US fed will have ultimate control over the spigot especially for us little people. Lets say we are allowed to exchange a max of 10k USD a day with only 20 exchange days so only 200,000k in a months time. As a worker, I'm not going to flee from my job until I can exchange enough to retire which at this rate would take at least 7 months and I'm not including taxes or frictional fee costs. It just slows down the frenzy, keeps those exchanging sane and orderly, and allows the banks to use their in place anti-money laundering laws. IMO I don't think many of us will be able to chunk down a million IQD and walk out the door with our retirement in one day. They will control the flow and reduce chaos and many working contractors will keep working - but put in notice. :)

All the contractors I know maybe 5% are invested in the Dinar and rest are uncertain. I bought my first dinars in Kuwait in 2004, when I had some Kuwait friends buy some at the NBK bank. If you look on militaryhire.com you will see all the jobs and companies involved. There you can post a resume if interested

The military will not let 90% of there contractors jump ship and go home because they know once the dinar R.V.s ,everybody is out and the military will not have mission failure.

Be advised that not all contractors are in-country for superficial reasons, and not all will demob just because they 'don't need the money' anymore. We had a situation in northern Iraq just after April 9, 2004 where we had gotten hit hard with many killed, injured, stranded and plenty simply demobed once things got too hot for them. The few of us who remained obviously weren't there for the money, for the military, or even for the people of Iraq. We were there for each other, knowing that the fewer personnel the harder and more dangerous the mission for those who remained. I am certain that we still have folks with such backbone working in Iraq and Afghanistan, even if we won't know who they are until it happens.

One would also do well to consider just who is in control of the rate of demobilization. If folks think they're going to get a flight home on the day of their choosing just by visiting priceline, Lufthansa or Air France's website online, they'd best think again! :lol:

Im quite sure that Iraq doesnt care if contractors would leave their jobs. That's an issue the DOD would have to deal with. Not all contractors would leave their jobs and if in fact they did, KBR would have no problem replacing them with the economy in the shape that it is.

That's true, but not everyone can fill a contract slot overseas (you have to have a CLEARANCE!!!) And, there are alot of us that would walk away depending on the rate it comes in at.

That's true, but not everyone can fill a contract slot overseas (you have to have a CLEARANCE!!!) And, there are alot of us that would walk away depending on the rate it comes in at.

No doubt. But fill those slots they will, and those who are faithful to remain at their posts will for the most part be promoted to positions of greater responsibility supervising the newbies who are brought in to replace the ones who bailed. We've seen this before. . .

No doubt. But fill those slots they will, and those who are faithful to remain at their posts will for the most part be promoted to positions of greater responsibility supervising the newbies who are brought in to replace the ones who bailed. We've seen this before. . .

When you said you've seen this before...where was that? Were you in kuwait or something? Because I'm having a hard time finding any information about a large RV in a country and the loss of a bunch of american contractors. I just haven't seen anything this massive.

When you said you've seen this before...where was that? Were you in kuwait or something? Because I'm having a hard time finding any information about a large RV in a country and the loss of a bunch of american contractors. I just haven't seen anything this massive.

No, it wasn't RV-related, and probably not as large-scale, but after the Good Friday massacre in 1994 we got to see who would leave and who would stay, and how the overall mission would be affected. There will be a hiccup--to be sure--but nothing more.

IMO contractors/companies will adjust their pay scale to the equivalent buying power of the currency. If the employee is paid 351,000 dinar, the present buying power is $300. The RV takes place with a $1 to 1d. The employee might get a raise to 351dinar. The salary would reflect the RV buying power of the dinar. It would be the same for the U.S. workers, shareholders, and the contractor. What they do with their accumulated dinar is another matter. I'd cash it in.:)

Excellent response, and very likely to be the case. +1 from me...God Bless!!

Look maybe I need to explain the word L-O-G-I-S-T-I-C-S.

YES , some contractors will stay , but these are the people that are blind to the dinar investement,but most will leave in mass droves .....

Working out in Iraq is not like working for FED-X , there is no retirement plan ,or union ...ITS PUCKING IRAQ ..people have families and want to go home ..

You really think that if the dinar R.V.s at a decent ammount people are worried about their jobs ....cut it out ....

There will be mass exodus, and a LOGISTICS nightmare for people trying to get out of country ..

Also yes , there will be still a lot of people wanting to work overseas, but it could be a while to find the exact people for the positions, yeah ..truck drivers,mechanics..etc...no prob

But more specific positions with security clearances could take up to 6 months to find , how do i know ,because it happen at sather air base for us last year..

Point is , my call ...No R.V. until the troop draw down in DEC , too much of a pain for the COMPANY , not like they could not handle it if it really came down too it ,

But , why deal with logistics issues , with flights ,personel and man power when a another major troop drawdown is only a few months away ?

there going to send a lot of contractors home anyway...

I agree there are alot of Contractors invested in Dinar, However with the ratio of Expats to TCN"s being at about 20% Expats to 80% TCN's, and factor in that maybe, maybe 1/4 of that 20% is invested in Dinar, I really can't see mission failure!! add to the equation KBR losing contracts in Afghanistan, the closing of everything but the embassy mission in Iraq, That is alot of previously employed KBR personel, who would go back at the drop of a hat.....sorry your senario just doesn't make sense.

I thought that LOGCAP III was already finished with and LOGCAP IV was current. KBR has done a good job in replacing US citizens with people from other countries, so they can make more profit for the company. Another reason why I left KBR. That has to be one of the worst companies I have ever worked for.

I can state Unequivocally it was not one of the worst, but absolutly the worst.

pp

• Upvote 2

and not under as much of a threat as before.

I've done more bunker time in the last 12 weeks than I did in the previous 2 1/2 years. I wonder why they are now putting up t-walls INSIDE the d-fac. Must be the lack of a threat.

give it up dude....KBR has a contract despite RV.....KBR is hired by the US and isn't paid directly by Iraq

KBR contracts are in dollars not in dinars.....

you would have to be a total idiot to think the RV will affect the contract of a company....

Here is the example......

I own a company....and I signed a contract that says I will get XXXX dollars and I will pay my employees XX dollars.......

Nowhere in the contract does it say the host countries economic conditions mean anything if they change either for worse or for better.......

another words the contract and payments stay the same no matter what.....

I own a business...if i make happen make a lot of money than i did when i initially made the contact i don't give my subcontractor more money just because I made more money..... how stupid is that: come on now

Watch the cbi site

Edited by tilak

The tax free money is up to $96,000 you are not going to make that with KBR as a mechanic. I worked for them 10 years, started in Somolia in 1993. till 2003. Just remember you are just a body count to these american companies. I have been contracting for 30 years plus. Yea it is a good life and good money, that is why I live in Europe. And YES I do pay taxes on anything over 96,000. Social Security and Medicare gets taken out. Social Security you pay into up to $106,00 and Medicare they always take out every pay day. If you get with a good company in Iraq or Afghanistan you can make $150,000 per year plus sign bonus. There are sacrifices you have to make there, like being away from your family, living conditions, heat, 12 hour work day 7 days a week, living on a FOB ( Foward Operation Base ) in a Tent with 8 to 10 people. You get R&R, time to travel and see family. Right now I am between contract and will go back to work in Oct. Leaving for Thailad with family for three weeks this month. Enjoy Hopefully while I am there something will happen with this RV. I have been on this train ride since 2004, just getting a little tired.

You need 330 days out of the States to enjoy that Tax Free Status. If not you owe Uncle Sam some money. But all and all it is a good life and even better if you are single and yes they do hire ladies.

Yes, you're right, except when I left KBR in 2009, the amount you're tax free was up to the first $84,000 was federally tax free, and they had started to take out for FD&C every check too. The bad thing that KBR was doing was letting go US citizens and hiring TCNs from other countries, such as Bosnia, so they can pay them less, but charge the DOD the same amount per person. That equals more profit for KBR. Actually, the people don't really work for KBR, but a manpower company based in Dubai.

I've done more bunker time in the last 12 weeks than I did in the previous 2 1/2 years. I wonder why they are now putting up t-walls INSIDE the d-fac. Must be the lack of a threat.

WOW......that is crazy. I was based out of Baghdad and Joint Base Balad (Camp Anaconda or Mortaritaville). Good luck, keep your head down.

WOW......that is crazy. I was based out of Baghdad and Joint Base Balad (Camp Anaconda or Mortaritaville). Good luck, keep your head down.

This strip came out while I was based at Anaconda. Timeless, priceless, and right on! :lol:

gallery_19562_512_344116.jpg

• Upvote 1