Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq to execute 39 al Qaeda suspects without trial

k98nights

Updated: 04 Dec 2010

1045_1.jpg

Captured: 39 men said to be al Qaeda militants have been arrested in Iraq and could be executed without trial for car bombings and attacks on police

7280_2.jpg

Paraded: Hazim al-Zawi, said to be al Qaeda's third highest leader in Iraq, was led into the news conference with a black hood on and, right, another detainee looks at the cameras

6694_3.jpg

Operation: The fresh arrests follow the capture of 12 insurgents thought to be responsible for the attack on a Baghdad church last month in which 52 people were killed

5636_4.jpg

Tough: Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani said there should be no delay in executing the insurgents

Security forces in Iraq said it had arrested 39 al Qaeda militants including one of its top officers in raids over the last five weeks. Wearing orange prison uniforms, the men were paraded at a news conference and face being executed without facing a trial, according to reports. The group is alleged to have carried out car bombings and attacks against police in Anbar, a former al Qaeda stronghold, as well as recruiting suicide bombers and plotting attacks on government ministries.

Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani said: 'Our demand is not to delay the carrying out of the executions against these criminals in order to deter terrorist and criminal elements. 'The repeated and painful blows to al Qaeda, by the killing and arrests of its leadership, will lead to the demise of al Qaeda in Iraq.' Mr al-Bolani identified one of the captured men, Hazim al-Zawi, as al Qaeda's third-highest leader in the country and the 'security minister' of its affiliate - the Islamic State of Iraq. Al-Zawi was brought into the room wearing a black hood, which was removed to allow photographers and TV cameramen to take pictures of his face.

Iraqi and U.S. forces struck a major blow against the Islamist militant group in April when al Qaeda leader Abu Ayyub al-Masri and Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, the head of the ISI, were killed in a raid. Military officials said the deaths were a serious setback to a stubborn insurgency that still unleashes attacks daily, more than seven years after the U.S.-led invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein. Among those arrested, according to officials, was Ahmed al-Essawi, a religious adviser in ISI, Ali al-Fahdawi, an ISI administrator and Abdul Razaq Albu Essa, the group's head of media. General Dhiya Hussein, the head of the Interior Ministry's counter-terrorism department, said the raids enabled security forces to obtain pictures and learn the real names of al Qaeda's two top leaders, the men who replaced Masri and Baghdadi. He said: 'The successful arrest operation connected us to the head of the terrorist organisation, Ibrahim Awad al-Samarrai, who was known as Abu Baker al-Baghdadi, and his war minister, Nuaman Salman, who was known as Abu Suleiman before. 'We call on the politicians not to repeat the past mistakes. Don't let the criminals escape from punishment.' Last week Iraqi officials announced the arrests of 12 suspected al Qaeda militants in connection with an October 31 attack on a Baghdad Christian church in which 52 hostages and police were killed.

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news16143.html

• Upvote 1

Updated: 04 Dec 2010

1045_1.jpg

Captured: 39 men said to be al Qaeda militants have been arrested in Iraq and could be executed without trial for car bombings and attacks on police

7280_2.jpg

Paraded: Hazim al-Zawi, said to be al Qaeda's third highest leader in Iraq, was led into the news conference with a black hood on and, right, another detainee looks at the cameras

6694_3.jpg

Operation: The fresh arrests follow the capture of 12 insurgents thought to be responsible for the attack on a Baghdad church last month in which 52 people were killed

5636_4.jpg

Tough: Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani said there should be no delay in executing the insurgents

Security forces in Iraq said it had arrested 39 al Qaeda militants including one of its top officers in raids over the last five weeks. Wearing orange prison uniforms, the men were paraded at a news conference and face being executed without facing a trial, according to reports. The group is alleged to have carried out car bombings and attacks against police in Anbar, a former al Qaeda stronghold, as well as recruiting suicide bombers and plotting attacks on government ministries.

Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani said: 'Our demand is not to delay the carrying out of the executions against these criminals in order to deter terrorist and criminal elements. 'The repeated and painful blows to al Qaeda, by the killing and arrests of its leadership, will lead to the demise of al Qaeda in Iraq.' Mr al-Bolani identified one of the captured men, Hazim al-Zawi, as al Qaeda's third-highest leader in the country and the 'security minister' of its affiliate - the Islamic State of Iraq. Al-Zawi was brought into the room wearing a black hood, which was removed to allow photographers and TV cameramen to take pictures of his face.

Iraqi and U.S. forces struck a major blow against the Islamist militant group in April when al Qaeda leader Abu Ayyub al-Masri and Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, the head of the ISI, were killed in a raid. Military officials said the deaths were a serious setback to a stubborn insurgency that still unleashes attacks daily, more than seven years after the U.S.-led invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein. Among those arrested, according to officials, was Ahmed al-Essawi, a religious adviser in ISI, Ali al-Fahdawi, an ISI administrator and Abdul Razaq Albu Essa, the group's head of media. General Dhiya Hussein, the head of the Interior Ministry's counter-terrorism department, said the raids enabled security forces to obtain pictures and learn the real names of al Qaeda's two top leaders, the men who replaced Masri and Baghdadi. He said: 'The successful arrest operation connected us to the head of the terrorist organisation, Ibrahim Awad al-Samarrai, who was known as Abu Baker al-Baghdadi, and his war minister, Nuaman Salman, who was known as Abu Suleiman before. 'We call on the politicians not to repeat the past mistakes. Don't let the criminals escape from punishment.' Last week Iraqi officials announced the arrests of 12 suspected al Qaeda militants in connection with an October 31 attack on a Baghdad Christian church in which 52 hostages and police were killed.

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news16143.html

COOL POST, THANKS

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It looks like IRAQ is a friend, big brother, and important WORLD ALLY.. in the fight against terrorism

I agree that in the US, trials would be done, yes. But this is their experience, independent of USA. Remember how the United States justice has changed and change again after we became a democracy in 1776.

Give Iraq time with this new Democracy. The world is watching.

I say, they need to make more jails. To get ready for the time, when they are ready to trial a person, before instant death.

Life in prison then would be an option.

But they are making PROGRESS BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS.

BRAVO IRAQ! Keep the Peace and Passion. Bless your newfound SOCIETY, HOPES, JUSTICE and FUTURE!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know what to make of this. I hope those are the right people but not having a trial shows how this has been politicized - the Iraqis tend to get ahead of themselves. I just know in the states if it were american citizens that did this crime, they would be granted a fair trial no matter the crime or political pressure and don't get me wrong, what happen to those Christians on that day was an absolute atrocity!!

I have noticed other places in the world who have good law and order but when you look closer you find they may have gotten their by killing certain individuals and repeat criminals. Like after they get released from jail they walk a few blocks and someone caps them.

Well if they go through with the execution, it basically says to all in-surgeons, you mess around in Iraq and get caught, no trial, no prison, just death. I take it back, maybe they got it right.. :D

Please people! How can you be so flippant about this?

Can you imagine living in a country without a Bill of Rights? Put to death without a trial? Isn't this what we're all supposed to be about? That Big Brother has constitutional impediments from knocking on your door one day, for something you totally didn't do, and decides to hook YOU up to ole' Sparky?

Aren't these the kind of ideals we send our young men and women to fight wars to protect?

Maynard

• Upvote 6

And the difference between the way Saddam conducted business

and the way the new GOI conducts business is....?

You might want to do a little homework. Saddam was known to execute thousands of innocent people. Iraq is sending a clear message here. You even associate yourselves with Al Qaeda and it wont end well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Can you imagine living in a country without a Bill of Rights? Put to death without a trial? Isn't this what we're all supposed to be about? That Big Brother has constitutional impediments from knocking on your door one day, for something you totally didn't do, and decides to hook YOU up to ole' Sparky?

Aren't these the kind of ideals we send our young men and women to fight wars to protect?

Maynard

I agree Maynard but if proven in trial they committed the crimes they should be put to death. I believe in a system that is sturn "an eye for an eye".

• Upvote 3

Maynard

Amen Maynard!

Maynard

Too right, Maynard. In this fight against terrorism, it is too easy to give in to the darkness and become the thing you most fear. To be free, we must hold ourselves to our ideals of human rights without flinching. There can be no half measures. You either believe in justice, or you don't.

Taking into consideration they have dismissed all the serious crimes of the Guantanamo Terrorist, He may get a few to 20 yrs,

JUST LIKE THE PAN AM FLIGHT TERRORIST who was released after 20 years to a hero's welcome in Libya. I worked for Pan Am for 14 years and flew with some of the crew on that plane.

I wonder how many of our guys lives will be saved? So much to think on.

While I do not like injustice, hopefully they have there facts and know.

Taking into consideration they have dismissed all the serious crimes of the Guantanamo Terrorist, He may get a few to 20 yrs,

JUST LIKE THE PAN AM FLIGHT TERRORIST who was released after 20 years to a hero's welcome in Libya. I worked for Pan Am for 14 years and flew with some of the crew on that plane.

I wonder how many of our guys lives will be saved? So much to think on.

While I do not like injustice, hopefully they have there facts and know.

Agreed, my friend. Its just that in my line of work, you have the presumption of innocence - which is all too often the only thing separate you and never seeing the light of day again.

This is all very contra-American jurisprudence, and I watch "To Kill a Mockingbird" with my daughters every year its on. :)

Go Due process of Law in America. Go RV!!!

Maynard

Maby we could learn a few lessons here.The bleeding hearts want to keep some really bad guys in prison forever,you know,rapests, killers, bombers, terrorists.It costs $48,000 to keep one (1) prisoner for 1 year.I guess I don't need to tell you all who pays that Bill.

• Upvote 2

Maby we could learn a few lessons here.The bleeding hearts want to keep some really bad guys in prison forever,you know,rapests, killers, bombers, terrorists.It costs $48,000 to keep one (1) prisoner for 1 year.I guess I don't need to tell you all who pays that Bill.

Ditto. The hard felons that have proven they are bad seeds. Should have justice=death "an eye for an eye". Maybe if we had a more strict system they would think twice about there actions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maynard

I completely agree, IMO I don't believe the UN will look to kindly with this statement. Again if article is true they may change their tune soon as the US or UN finds out. Granted, they may only parade them up to the judge and plea, found guilty and then sentenced. At the very least, they then can say "they got a trial".

Iraq can't afford at this time to start going backwards.

Thanks for the post

Stay grounded, calm and be happy

Go RV/RI B)

• Upvote 1

NOW THAT IS A POWERFUL STATEMENT ON JUSTICE! HOPEFULLY THOUGH THE PART OF NOT HAVNG A TRIAL DOES'NT BACK FIRE AND BITE THE AUTHORITIES IN THE BUTT. THESE TERRORIST DESERVE WHAT THEY GET.

Yeah Due process is way over rated!!! Even if they are guilty it should be done like in Texas Trial then sentence the execute. Never take away the process cause marshal law is what they were just fighting to get away from.

Read more:

I for one have no problem with this. These men are part of a terror organization that have brought much pain and suffering to our country and the WORLD. I believe that I am correct when I say that Bin Laden the leader of this terror organization is wanted by the United States "Dead or Alive". These men that have chose to make terror to the world and kill our US soliders derserve no mercy nor do they derserve any sympothy from you. If anyone in this forum thinks that the United States is going to defend these men you are WRONG, these men will die and I for one salute Iraq for doing it in this manner.

We are each given the right to our opinion and I have no problem with the ones of you that feel they deserve a fair trial. But, I will ask you how you would feel if you were a Iraqi citizen and one of these men hurt or killed one of your family members?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1