Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

G.O.P. Blocks Veteran Jobs Bill

dinar_stud

Veterans won’t be getting a new, billion-dollar jobs program, not from this Senate. Republicans on Wednesday afternoon blocked a vote on the Veterans Job Corps Bill after Jeff Sessions of Alabama raised a point of order — he said the bill violated a cap on spending agreed to by Congress last year. The bill’s sponsor, Patty Murray of Washington, said that shouldn’t matter, since the bill’s cost was fully offset by new revenues. She said Mr. Sessions and his party colleagues had been furiously generating excuses to oppose the bill, and were now exploiting a technicality to deny thousands of veterans a shot at getting hired as police officers, firefighters and parks workers, among other things.

The vote was 58-40; the bill needed 60 votes to proceed.

It would be easier to admire the Republicans’ late-breaking fiscal scrupulosity if their motives — denying the Obama administration any kind of victory this year, whatever the cost to jobless vets — weren’t so transparent. It’s probably useful to remind Republicans like John McCain (a “nay” on the jobs bill) that wounded, jobless and homeless veterans aren’t a fact of nature. They’re a product of the wars that Congress members voted for, the war debt they piled on, and the economy they helped ruin.

“It’s unbelievable that even after more than a decade of war, many Republicans still will not acknowledge that the treatment of our veterans is a cost of war,” Ms. Murray said in a statement after the vote.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Veterans won’t be getting a new, billion-dollar jobs program, not from this Senate. Republicans on Wednesday afternoon blocked a vote on the Veterans Job Corps Bill after Jeff Sessions of Alabama raised a point of order — he said the bill violated a cap on spending agreed to by Congress last year. The bill’s sponsor, Patty Murray of Washington, said that shouldn’t matter, since the bill’s cost was fully offset by new revenues. She said Mr. Sessions and his party colleagues had been furiously generating excuses to oppose the bill, and were now exploiting a technicality to deny thousands of veterans a shot at getting hired as police officers, firefighters and parks workers, among other things.

It would be easier to admire the Republicans’ late-breaking fiscal scrupulosity if their motives — denying the Obama administration any kind of victory this year, whatever the cost to jobless vets — weren’t so transparent. It’s probably useful to remind Republicans like John McCain (a “nay” on the jobs bill) that wounded, jobless and homeless veterans aren’t a fact of nature. They’re a product of the wars that Congress members voted for, the war debt they piled on, and the economy they helped ruin.

“It’s unbelievable that even after more than a decade of war, many Republicans still will not acknowledge that the treatment of our veterans is a cost of war,” Ms. Murray said in a statement after the vote.

Very sad that this country is so partisan that we let it hurt the welfare of our troops.

• Upvote 3

Before you Neg,

I am a retired military veteran myself.

But just because the bill has a warm and fuzzy name,

does not mean that it's a good bill.

This is a tactic that politicians on both sides of the isle use consistantly.

The fact is this bill would cost $1 Billion dollars to potentially assist only 20,000 vets.

Do the math.

That's $5 Million dollars per vet.

I believe in helping our vets.

And for the record, there are hundreds, if not thousands of programs all ready out there.

But, when our country is on a fast run-away train to financial hell,

I wouldn't support this bill either.

Again, just because it has a warm and fuzzy name,

doesn't make it good.

Senate Republicans on Wednesday blocked a measure that would have provided $1 billion over five years to help veterans find work in their communities.

The measure, which would have potentially created jobs for up to 20,000 veterans, was blocked on a procedural point by Republicans, who argued that the bill was unpaid for. Senator Patty Murray, a Washington Democrat and the bill’s main sponsor, said the bill would have covered the costs in part with fees on Medicare providers and suppliers who are delinquent on their tax bills.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/veterans-jobs-bill-blocked-in-the-senate/

Edited by krome2ez
  • Upvote 14
  • Downvote 1

Hey Stud think your off on Title of your article you posted!! According to the Record, House: Democrats: 253, Republicans: 177, Independents: 0, Vacancies: 5.

Senate: Democrats: 57, Republicans: 41, Independents: 2

You have more Democraps in the Senate then you do Republicans... Wow Nice try.. Thou keep spinning them, in your Fantasy Land!!

Source: http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/cong.html

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Yota,

Yes, and all the democrats in the Senate voted for it, so not sure what your point is? They needed 60 votes, and it is my understanding 4 of the Republicans that filibustered also at least partially co-wrote the bill. Not saying democrats don't have plenty of faults as I am an independent, but really tired of nothing getting done in Washington and this one seems like a no brainer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yota,

Yes, and all the democrats in the Senate voted for it, so not sure what your point is? They needed 60 votes, and it is my understanding 4 of the Republicans that filibustered also at least partially co-wrote the bill. Not saying democrats don't have plenty of faults as I am an independent, but really tired of nothing getting done in Washington and this one seems like a no brainer.

I hear ya but you can't blame it all on the GOP is my point!! I try to find who voted by name but no luck!! I do also wish that they, do accomplish something instead of just blame it on somebody else!!

Yota,

Yes it is a "No Brainer."

You don't pass a bill that isn't funded, for one.

And you certainly don't pass a bill that costs tax payers $5 million dollars per job provided.

• Upvote 3

Hey Stud think your off on Title of your article you posted!! According to the Record, House: Democrats: 253, Republicans: 177, Independents: 0, Vacancies: 5.

You have more Democraps in the Senate then you do Republicans... Wow Nice try.. Thou keep spinning them, in your Fantasy Land!!

yota please read the article,

Reading comprehension is a lost art form now a days. Lets guess who all 40 were.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Before you Neg,

The fact is this bill would cost $1 Billion dollars to potentially assist only 20,000 vets.

Do the math.

And for the record, there are hundreds, if not thousands of programs all ready out there.

doesn't make it good.

Senate Republicans on Wednesday blocked a measure that would have provided $1 billion over five years to help veterans find work in their communities.

The measure, which would have potentially created jobs for up to 20,000 veterans, was blocked on a procedural point by Republicans, who argued that the bill was unpaid for. Senator Patty Murray, a Washington Democrat and the bill’s main sponsor, said the bill would have covered the costs in part with fees on Medicare providers and suppliers who are delinquent on their tax bills.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/veterans-jobs-bill-blocked-in-the-senate/

Veterans deserve that and much more, there is NO excuse whatsoever to block a bill that would help veterans get back on their feet and into the civilian world. Veterans should have no politician blocking any legislation that would help them. This is just another move that shows republican politicians care very little for our veterand.

Tea party favorite Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., has unveiled a plan for cutting $400 billion in federal spending that includes freezing Veterans Affairs Department health care spending and cutting veterans’ disability benefits.

Ryan Opposed Motion To Allow Veterans With Service-Related Disabilities And 20 Years’ Honorable Service To Receive Full Disability Benefits And Full Retirement Pay.

According to the Saint Paul Pioneer Press,

“Voting 188 for and 217 against, the House defeated a Democratic bid to allow veterans with a service-related disability and at least 20 years’

honorable service to receive full disability benefits as well as full retirement pay. At present, most veterans must deduct disability income from retirement pay in a subtraction known as the ‘disabled veterans tax.’ The motion was offered to the defense bill above, which already included GOP language phasing out the ‘tax’ for about one-third of affected veterans.

If not offset elsewhere in the budget, the Democratic motion would add over $50 billion to the national debt over 10 years. A yes vote backed full, dual benefits.”

Ryan voted no.

[saint Paul Pioneer Press, 11/9/03]

Republicans Seek To Cut Benefits for Disabled Veterans

GOP Looks at Cutting Veterans Health Benefits for 2011-12 Session to Fulfill Pledge

I respect and thank you for your service, but I do not let political parties and made up excuses blind me of what is happening to veterans. Every timethe Veterans Administration and veterans takes a hit or there is an attempt to hurt it there is a republican politician behind it.

Edited by dinar_stud
  • Downvote 4

Veterans deserve that and much more, there is NO excuse whatsoever to block a bill that would help veterans get back on their feet and into the civilian world. Veterans should have no politician blocking any legislation that would help them. This is just another move that shows republican politicians care very little for our veterand.

Tea party favorite Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., has unveiled a plan for cutting $400 billion in federal spending that includes freezing Veterans Affairs Department health care spending and cutting veterans’ disability benefits.

Ryan Opposed Motion To Allow Veterans With Service-Related Disabilities And 20 Years’ Honorable Service To Receive Full Disability Benefits And Full Retirement Pay.

According to the Saint Paul Pioneer Press,

“Voting 188 for and 217 against, the House defeated a Democratic bid to allow veterans with a service-related disability and at least 20 years’

honorable service to receive full disability benefits as well as full retirement pay. At present, most veterans must deduct disability income from retirement pay in a subtraction known as the ‘disabled veterans tax.’ The motion was offered to the defense bill above, which already included GOP language phasing out the ‘tax’ for about one-third of affected veterans.

If not offset elsewhere in the budget, the Democratic motion would add over $50 billion to the national debt over 10 years. A yes vote backed full, dual benefits.”

Ryan voted no.

[saint Paul Pioneer Press, 11/9/03]

Republicans Seek To Cut Benefits for Disabled Veterans

GOP Looks at Cutting Veterans Health Benefits for 2011-12 Session to Fulfill Pledge

I respect and thank you for your service, but I do not let political parties and made up excuses blind me of what is happening to veterans. Every timethe Veterans Administration and veterans takes a hit or there is an attempt to hurt it there is a republican politician behind it.

You just don't get it.

You have refused to address the elephant in the room.

It would cost $5 MILLION dollars per job.

Are you frig'n kidding me??

There are many many programs already in place.

They were there when I retired over 10 years ago.

And if there is more needed, well that can be addressed,

but not at such a high cost.

Edited by krome2ez
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

You just don't get it.

You have refused to address the elephant in the room.

It would cost $5 MILLION dollars per job.

Are you frig'n kidding me??

There are many many programs already in place.

They were there when I retired over 10 years ago.

And if there is more needed, well that can be addressed,

but not at such a high cost.

I get it very well, republicans use veterans as bargaining chips to fulfill the promise they made 2 years ago:

Mitch McConnell: Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President

Just like Obama used SS beneficiaries and veterans excuses to get the debt ceiling raised.

You say I don't understand, but I see how they want to add more money to the military and yet they deny any help to veterans. I see quite well. I do not have political blinders.

How the money would been raised was mentioned and explained but republican politicians in congress could give a rats @ss about it as long as they remove Obama from the presidency.

And by the way if it is to help our veterans, they have deserved it, they should have a blank check.

Edited by dinar_stud
  • Downvote 2

Democratic officials did not have an estimate for how many veterans would be hired as a result of the legislation. Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., said much would depend upon the number of applicants. She noted that more than 720,000 veterans are unemployed across the nation, including 220,000 veterans who have served since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. She said putting veterans back to work was the cost of war.

(AP) WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans blocked legislation Wednesday that would have established a $1 billion jobs program putting veterans back to work tending to the country's federal lands and bolstering local police and fire departments.

Reading comprehension is a lost art form now a days. Lets guess who all 40 were.

Totally AGREE!

You really must slow down. What's spinning? This a Senate vote, not the entire congress.

Senate Party Divisions

51 Democrats

47 Republicans

2 Independents

Vote 58-40

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Do the math.

End Quote

I know I'm terrible at math ( among other things)......But I divided and I got $50,000 per Vet not 5 Million.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by umbertino

Before you Neg,

Do the math.

doesn't make it good.

This bill is supported by the tax bill legislated by Obama and the democratic party which Romney has repeatedly said he is going to repeal. It is a political ploy. If they voted for the bill Romney can't repeal it as it would tie it in with jobs for vets. Slick move but also a sick move.

I'm a Marine vet from the Vietnam era...and I'm pro-vet for sure. This particular bill is not needed...why? Because there are already six programs IN PLACE now. The Feds have lost control of those programs though...it seems nobody in government has been monitoring them so no one can say if they work or not. My point: Don't add another billion dollar program into the mix until you get the six existing programs audited, monitored, and productive.

• Upvote 2

Do the math.

End Quote

I know I'm terrible at math ( among other things)......But I divided and I got $50,000 per Vet not 5 Million.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

50,000 + bolstering of fire and police departments. Thanks Umb.

Edited by simple
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Before you start saying how bad the GOP was fo 'voting against a jobs bill' you might want to read the whole bill. So many times the leeches of congress put enough pork in those bills that the actual bill becomes worthless. But that gives people ammo to say that the party voted against jobs when actually they voted against pork. This is just like those who voted agianst the health care bill was said to have voted against health care for the poor when actually they voted against all the garbage that is hidden in the bill.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Before you start saying how bad the GOP was fo 'voting against a jobs bill' you might want to read the whole bill. So many times the leeches of congress put enough pork in those bills that the actual bill becomes worthless. But that gives people ammo to say that the party voted against jobs when actually they voted against pork. This is just like those who voted agianst the health care bill was said to have voted against health care for the poor when actually they voted against all the garbage that is hidden in the bill.

So, basically what the you and krome2ez have made clear is that it's:

A. Perfectly fine to raise the deficit to send troops to war, but it's not ok to raise the budget by a fraction of itself to take care of them once they get home?

B. It is better to have too few jobs programs than to have too many?

or...

C. The timing of this particular bill was bad, so we should just keep more people on the unemployment rolls until after the election?

The Government is already funding 6 jobs programs for veterans. Billions are already being spent. This is just a ploy by demos to try and make republicans look bad. I for one am proud that Senate republicans stood their ground and did not allow this to go through.

The republicans look bad all by themselves without any help, 35% of veterans are unemployed they deserve all the help they can get.

The hypocrisy is simple: more money for war to create even more veterans even if it digs up deeper in debt, and screw the vets that fight those wars.

The republicans are using the veterans as hostages as Obama used them during the 2011 debt ceiling "debates". Neither side is free from that guilt.

Edited by dinar_stud
  • Upvote 1

The Government is already funding 6 jobs programs for veterans. Billions are already being spent. This is just a ploy by demos to try and make republicans look bad. I for one am proud that Senate republicans stood their ground and did not allow this to go through.

Exactly....Thats what the republicans were sent there for. ;)

To make sure O'blah is a lame duck until we can get rid of him in Nov.

They are doing a great job as far as Im concerned....If O'blah wanted a

real jobs bill...He would instruct his lackey Harry Reid to work with the Reps

and get one of their 30 bills up to the Whitehouse...Its clear, A jobs bill is not

what the Libs want.

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So, basically what the you and krome2ez have made clear is that it's:

A. Perfectly fine to raise the deficit to send troops to war, but it's not ok to raise the budget by a fraction of itself to take care of them once they get home?

B. It is better to have too few jobs programs than to have too many?

or...

C. The timing of this particular bill was bad, so we should just keep more people on the unemployment rolls until after the election?

Good summation.

Exactly....Thats what the republicans were sent there for. ;)

To make sure O'blah is a lame duck until we can get rid of him in Nov.

They are doing a great job as far as Im concerned....If O'blah wanted a

real jobs bill...He would instruct his lackey Harry Reid to work with the Reps

and get one of their 30 bills up to the Whitehouse...Its clear, A jobs bill is not

what the Libs want.

Very hypocritical view but honest. That's hatful and republicans, plus people of your likeness, should take some ownership of the poor condition of the country over the last 5 years. Even with that hatred, the country still found a road to regain traction economically and abroad. That hatred is the prime source of division. That hatred is unprecedented. I'm sure you're bright enough to realize those facts but are you strong enough to adMITT the pain you levied on America?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well as it goes, I am a Vietnam vet, an Iraq vet, and also a disabled vet. Because of my disability, I can't function like I used to and find myself having a hard time inn the civilian sector at time. Sometimes I just wish we could take all these Senators and Congressman to was a war just for one month. Let them see what we do in the trenches, then come back and vote on anything for the vets. The sacrifices from the reserves and National Guardsman is unbelievable. They sit on the hill with all their bills in one package. Break em all up and vote on them separately. Just a thought?????

• Upvote 2