Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Why are so many cool with polygamy?

sportfisher

Polygamy has had very little support in the U.S. since the Republican Party in 1854 declared it, along with slavery, one of the “twin relics of barbarism,” and Congress banned it in 1862. The Mormon church officially abandoned plural marriage in 1890.

But when the California Supreme Court ruled in 2010 in favor of homosexual marriage, one dissenting justice warned that it would not be illogical to expect that support for polygamy soon would follow.

In fact, a polygamous group in Utah just last month challenged a ban on the practice in court, and now a new WND/Wenzel Poll, conducted exclusively for WND by the public-opinion research and media consulting company Wenzel Strategies, indicates there is a surprisingly high level of support developing across the U.S.

A full 22 percent of the respondents say there is no legal justification for denying polygamy, based on the fact that legislation and judicial decisions have affirmed the validity of same-sex “marriage” for homosexuals.

Another 18.7 percent were uncertain.

Further, 18 percent of the respondents said there was no moral justification for denying polygamy, and 14.5 percent were uncertain.

The scientific telephone survey, conducted March 10-13, has a margin of error of 3.72 percentage points.

While only 6.1 percent said polygamy is a “preferred” lifestyle, another 15.9 percent said it is an “equally valid lifestyle.” Across America, that would mean tens of millions accept the idea.

“When the concept of polygamy was introduced to the respondent, one in five Americans said they saw it as either a preferred lifestyle or an equally acceptable lifestyle,” said Fritz Wenzel in his analysis of the results.

“About this same percentage said they saw no legal or moral justification for prohibiting the practice. While there was significant objection to this practice on moral grounds by conservatives, about one in five respondents across the philosophical spectrum said that, given legal rulings paving the way for *** marriage, they could not object to similar legal findings on polygamy.”

The move had been predicted in 2010 by California Supreme Court Justice Marvin Baxter, but he estimated the time frame would be in the 10-20 year range.

His dissent came in the high court’s opinion that created same-sex “marriage” in California. The decision just months later was overturned by voters who once again passed an amendment to define marriage in the state Constitution as a relationship between one man and one woman.

The vote set up a federal court lawsuit that resulted in a homosexual judge declaring that the amendment to limit marriage was unconstitutional.

The ruling from “***” judge Vaughn Walker, who stood to benefit from his own court decision, is being appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Baxter warned in the state court ruling, “The bans on incestuous and polygamous marriages are ancient and deeprooted, and, as the majority suggests, they are supported by strong considerations of social policy.”

He continued, “Our society abhors such relationships, and the notion that our laws could not forever prohibit them seems preposterous. Yet here, the majority overturns, in abrupt fashion, an initiative statute confirming the equally deeprooted assumption that marriage is a union of partners of the opposite sex. The majority does so by relying on its own assessment of contemporary community values, and by inserting in our Constitution an expanded definition of the right to marry that contravenes express statutory law.”

He warned, “Who can say that, in 10, 15 or 20 years, an activist court might not rely on the majority’s analysis to conclude, on the basis of a perceived evolution in community values, that the laws prohibiting polygamous and incestuous marriages were no longer constitutionally justified?”

The primary pro-polygamy influences in the United States were the Mormon advocacy for the practice in the 1800s and the current influx of adherents to Islam.

It also resurfaced just last month in Utah, where a federal judge ruled there is enough evidence to allow a polygamous family – made famous by a television show – to sue over the state’s bigamy law.

It was reported U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups dismissed Utah’s governor and attorney general from the case but allowed the suit to proceed against Utah County Attorney Jeffrey Buhman. The AG had threatened to prosecute Kody Brown and his four wives – Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn – after the TLC show “Sister Wives” debuted in September 2010, but his office has not filed charges.

The family alleges the bigamy prohibition violates its constitutional rights to due process, equal protection, free exercise of religion, free speech and freedom of association.

The Wenzel poll showed 59 percent believe there is a legal justification to ban polygamy and 67 percent say there is a moral reason. That included 65 percent of Democrats, who reportedly are being asked to consider supporting homosexual “marriage” as a plank in their party’s national platform this year.

In the poll, 28 percent of respondent said polygamy is sinful, 33 percent said it is aberrant and destructive and 16 percent said it is aberrant. Those who described themselves as “progressive” were the most supportive, with 6 percent saying polygamy is preferred but a huge 29 percent saying it is equally valid. Those who described themselves as “moderates” followed, with 11 percent saying it is preferred and 19 percent saying it is equally valid.

Forty-six percent of the “very conservative” respondents said it is “sinful.”

Since some traditional marriage laws have been struck down because they do not permit same-sex couples to participate in the institution, do you believe there is any legal justification for denying polygamy in light of those legislative and court decisions?

What is your opinion of polygamy?

http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/1-in-5-americans-cool-with-polygamy/

Edited by sportfisher
  • Upvote 1

The intent of the article is to point out the opening of the "Pandoras Box" so to speak with the immorality of "same sex marriage". As much as I am completely satisfied with my "one" wife, it seems way more natural to have multiple wives than to consumate marriage as "Adam & Steve".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Why stop at polygamy, just get on to megagamy with dozens of congeniants participating in, well whatever. Probably a good way to get health insurance.

is that a real word ? :unsure:

I'm a Mormon, from Utah in fact! I am very against polygamy! Heck, (yes, I said heck) I can barely handle my ONE wife!

My family tree spreads through Utah, my Greatgrandmother was a 3rd child of a ninth wife. I agree, One wife is sufficient. :)

Edited by sportfisher
  • Upvote 1

Why stop at polygamy, just get on to megagamy with dozens of congeniants participating in, well whatever. Probably a good way to get health insurance.

Is megagamy a real word? If it conveys information I guess it is, I'm not beyond birthing words if needed. But my initial statement got away prematurely, so to finish- If a group of individuals wish to cohabitate, conjugate and incorporate that is a matter of legal recognition. Marriage however is a sacrament and not subject to the whims of legislation. Somehow the word "marriage " got caught on the wrong side of the Church/State divide and needs to be rescued.

• Upvote 1

It is interesting that a polygamist that takes care of his wives, both spiritually and financially, can be jailed for illegal activity.

Whereas a man who does not get married, fathers multiple children out of wedlock, and does not support the women is legal.

It is also legal to live with multiple women as long as he does not marry them.

I'm not for or against polygamy, just against the irony.

• Upvote 8

I use to watch that show Big Love and thought it was cool as he!!.....my husband thought the man was a complete idiot....he said the same thing as a previous poster, a man is 'a glutton for punishment' to have more than one wife......lol. Polygamy was necessary after the wars and such for some women to have a husband, protection and children but it is not necessary any longer.......I could see the validity of it any years before but not anymore.

• Upvote 2

Mormon wife here. I'm the only one. There was a time and place in the history of the Church when polygamy was used/needed. During heavy persecution of the Church, many women and children were left without husbands, and they had all migrated to Utah. The Church abolished the practice when there was no longer a need, and does not condone or practice polygamy now. Latter Day Saints (Mormons) in Utah are not "Cool" with the practice of polygamy. We get a lot of grief over the whole situation, because society assumes that if you are Mormon and live in Utah that you or your family are polygamists. I've had countless people ask me about it. I think it's funny, but I wish we could get away from the whole think. There are some off shoots that claim to still be LDS or Mormons, but they are not.

When I first moved away for college, there were several polygamist families in the area. It is strange. You could always spot a polygamist family. We actually even followed some home once, just because we were curious of their living arrangements.

I understand peoples right to choose and the freedom that should be granted for their religious beliefs, but it is still an odd arrangement.

The intent of the article is to point out the opening of the "Pandoras Box" so to speak with the immorality of "same sex marriage". As much as I am completely satisfied with my "one" wife, it seems way more natural to have multiple wives than to consumate marriage as "Adam & Steve".

Everyone is commenting on polygamy, I hope the article is being actually read and folks just not commenting on the title? :unsure:

So, you can see where the acceptance of same sex marriage would lead? and what would then keep Adam from then marrying Bob, Jim, Larry, & Kenny in addition to Steve?

• Upvote 1

Everyone is commenting on polygamy, I hope the article is being actually read and folks just not commenting on the title? :unsure:

So, you can see where the acceptance of same sex marriage would lead? and what would then keep Adam from then marrying Bob, Jim, Larry, & Kenny in addition to Steve?

I read the whole article.....I only commented on polygamy because no matter how I would have tried to word my feelings on same sex marriage I would have been misconstrued and called a bigot......

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with same sex marriage. It's legal here in Canada.

I don't care if a man wants to have multiple women living with him....is that really marriage???

I guess my question is if we are going to allow the first two scenarios, why can women have multiple husbands? ;)

Don't like the double standards we have as a society. JMHO

Goldie

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I have no problem with same sex marriage. It's legal here in Canada.

I don't care if a man wants to have multiple women living with him....is that really marriage???

I guess my question is if we are going to allow the first two scenarios, why can women have multiple husbands? ;)

Don't like the double standards we have as a society. JMHO

Goldie

The better question is why would a woman want more than one husband??

• Upvote 3

The only thing I know about Polygamy is what is seen on the TV shows, it seems to be a cult like atmosphere where the wives worship the husband. It's sad and I feel bad for those brainwashed women.

I like the thought process, where does it end? Can I marry my favorite dog? Can I marry a relative? What does this mean for those NAMBLA sickos?

I read the whole article.....I only commented on polygamy because no matter how I would have tried to word my feelings on same sex marriage I would have been misconstrued and called a bigot......

Exactly, people are scared of being labeled homophobic. In this politically correct world if you oppose same sex marriage you are a bad person.

Hey, marry as many as you want. Have as many kids as you want. Do what ever you want to do amongst consenting adults. I’m not here to judge… I leave that to someone a bit wiser than myself.

However, DON’T ask me for my tax dollars to support your unreasonablly sized family, habits or obsessions or deviant behavior. In fact, don’t ask for my tax dollars to support your bad health because you’ve smoked, eat crappy, or haven’t lived a healthier life which has caused lung cancer or you are obese with ADULT onset (lifestyle onset) of Diabetes, Heart Disease, and the like. We are in the FREE “EST” country in the world but I’m being taxed because people think being FREE means getting stuff for FREE and not being responsible.

Oh, and on the note of government supported (FREE) birth control… WE already have it. It’s called ABSTONENCE or early withdrawal!

Sorry, having a bad day.

Go RV.

• Upvote 6

Goldiegirl is right about the double standard. I think women should be able to have multiple husbands. Seriously. I had one for 34 years and he was an excellent husband. But would I like to have doubled that expernence? Sure I would ... if I could have found another just as good as he was.

Very seriously, people have to understand that at some times in our history it was important and necessary for a woman to be shared by several men, and at other times it was important and necessary for a man to have several wives. Part of it is a racial need to balance out the gene pool. Partly it is the solution to the problem of having a very unbalanced number or men and women in a group or culture. Society tells us currently that one man and one woman is right. We have enough men and women to make that a reality. But there may come a time when the balance is so out of whack that we will be forced to change our viewpoint.

Some of the early science fiction writers, who were looking into the future of the human race, and not just rockets to mars type of stuff but real thought about how the human race may have to adapt to certain changes, wrote about societies where same sex unions were commonplace, and accepted. It was acceptable in part because it was one way to keep some people happy with another person without producing more children from that union, the population being a problem at the time. Heinlein wrote several books that touched on plural marriage, with multiple husbands and multiple wives in each family. He had it working very well. I realize it is just a fictional scenario, but it really worked. And you never know what will or will not be necessary in the future.

:)

smee2

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1