Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

What's for dinner

moose 57

I'm trying to decide how to cook deer meat. It is ground and I know you can use it in any recipe that you use ground beef, but I am coming up blank on what I want to cook. I need to go grocery shopping so don't have alot of choices, but what sounds good and how do you cook ground deer meat? LOL

• Upvote 1

I soak and rinse deer meat several times before I cook it and I only use ground deer in spaghetti, chili or something like that....I have made hamburger steaks and meatloaf with it not bad but I have to use lots of onions to get rid of the game-y taste....I fried cubed deer steaks night before last and it was great.

• Upvote 1

I soak and rinse deer meat several times before I cook it and I only use ground deer in spaghetti, chili or something like that....I have made hamburger steaks and meatloaf with it not bad but I have to use lots of onions to get rid of the game-y taste....I fried cubed deer steaks night before last and it was great.

You should not have to rinse & soak it

I'm trying to decide how to cook deer meat. It is ground and I know you can use it in any recipe that you use ground beef, but I am coming up blank on what I want to cook. I need to go grocery shopping so don't have alot of choices, but what sounds good and how do you cook ground deer meat? LOL

Your going to have to experiment. The meat will taste different. It all depends on the feeding habits(not all deer get to feed on corn), to the kill(one shot less adrenaline), and how long did it hang(I let meat hang for week to two weeks) an old German taught me that.

• Upvote 1

I'd fry it in bacon fat and make tacos or chili :)

We're havin' ham & black bean soup tonight :)

• Upvote 1

Yea well I don't think the processing place we have been using drains the deer well enough so I soak and rinse....I don't think we'll use them next year.

I can process it correctly, if I was there at the kill (would love to)!!! It will taste Great!!!

I can process it correctly, if I was there at the kill (would love to)!!! It will taste Great!!!

Lol....too little too late, I have a freezer full of poorly processed meat and awful seasoned sausage now....wish you were around here!

I hope what you're saying is...."it's not the cook, it's the processer" that would make me feel better. The only venison I've ever been able to cook that was actually tasty was a roast, oh and smoked sausage.

TMac40, I have made some outstanding spaghetti sauce with ground deer meat. I make my sauce from scratch when doing this as the longer it simmers the better the taste, usually about 5-6 hours. I have also used ground bear meat in spaghetti sauce and can't tell it apart from good ground beef. Just another suggestion for deer and bear meat ground up.. enjoy By the way my daughter-in-law cannot stand any type of wild game meat and even she had no idea. She thought it was the best. I'm not spilling the beans and neither is my son.