Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq’s Prime Minister Gains More Power After Political Crisis

Iraq’s Prime Minister Gains More Power After Political Crisis

By TIM ARANGO

Published: February 27, 2012

BAGHDAD — When Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki rounded up hundreds of former Baathists, accused the vice president of running a hit squad and threatened to use the apparatus of state to target other top Sunni leaders, some rivals and critics said that Mr. Maliki’s authoritarian streak had finally antagonized enough of Iraq’s political class to jeopardize his hold on power.

Enlarge This ImageIRAQ-articleInline.jpg

Mohammed Ameen/Reuters

Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki in Baghdad in January. His political opponents were forced to drop their boycotts.

Related

world_75_twitter-thumbStandard.jpg

Connect With Us on Twitter

Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.

Twitter List: Reporters and Editors

Instead, Mr. Maliki appears to have emerged from a potentially destabilizing political crisis with even more power over the Iraqi state and more popularity among his Shiite constituents, many people here said.

“People trust him more and more after this,” said Rahman Tal Jukon, a retired businessman in Hilla, a town in the Shiite-dominated south where expressions of support for Mr. Maliki, once tepid, are now more common and enthusiastic. “He is a brave man. He has guts.”

Mr. Maliki’s political calculus, pushing to the edge of a full-blown crisis, appears to have paid off, though worries remain that Iraq is sliding toward one-man, one-party rule under Mr. Maliki. His rivals among the Sunnis are busy retrenching as their political leadership fractures, causing a pervasive feeling that Sunnis have lost any meaningful stake in Iraqi public life.

In a recent report, Ramzy Mardini, an analyst at the Institute for the Study of War, wrote: “It is clear that Maliki has come out as the winner in the political crisis he provoked. He has made it more difficult for his Shia rivals to dissent while simultaneously confining his Sunni opponents in a position suitable for exerting pressure and exploiting divisions within their ranks.”

Iraqiya, the largely Sunni bloc of lawmakers that is led by a secular Shiite, Ayad Allawi, was forced to end boycotts of Parliament and the cabinet that were staged to protest Mr. Maliki’s actions, without winning any rewards. Members of the bloc have split, and some ministers refused to participate in the boycott, adding to a sense that Sunni optimism after the 2010 parliamentary elections, when Iraqiya won the most seats, has dissipated completely.

Zuhair Araji, a former Iraqiya member who withdrew from the party, called the boycott “unwise” and said the alliance had embarrassed itself.

Similar sentiments are heard in the capital’s Sunni neighborhoods. “Iraqiya came back to the Parliament and the government because they failed and they have lost all their popularity in Iraq,” said Aymen Fakhry, who lives in Adhamiya.

Obaida al-Jobori, a Sunni and a restaurant owner in the Karada neighborhood of Baghdad, said: “Sunnis made a big mistake when they decided not to participate in the political process with the Shias and Kurds. They proved Sunni leaders are not experienced enough to help their people in the right manner.”

Two months ago, just as the last American troops were leaving, Iraq seemed at the edge of the abyss. The American ambassador cut short his vacation to rush back to Baghdad. President Jalal Talabani returned from knee surgery in Germany to mediate the crisis. The vice president and top Sunni politician, Tariq al-Hashimi, left Baghdad, running from an arrest warrant on terrorism charges. A spate of attacks wrought familiar scenes of grief and bloodshed. Politically, analysts worried that the government was close to collapse and that its fracturing would start a new civil war.

Mr. Maliki has made some concessions. Local officials say many of the former Baathists who were arrested late last year have been released. And to head off efforts made by Sunni-dominated regions to gain more autonomy, Mr. Maliki has pushed for legal amendments that would give provinces more autonomy on budgets and the right of consent over when national security forces are deployed within their borders.

“There was no crisis from the beginning, but problems, you could say,” said Ali al-Allaq, a member of Parliament from Mr. Maliki’s Dawa Party and a close adviser to the prime minister.

Mr. Allaq, his head wrapped in a black turban as he glanced at his two iPhones resting on a tabletop, described the problems as those that “any young democracy would have.”

The overarching question for Iraq is how long it can continue without genuine reconciliation before the sectarian divide leads the country back to bloodshed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/world/middleeast/maliki-wields-more-power-in-iraq-after-crisis.html

• Upvote 4

Folks, IMO this is the best news that we could have except for an RV of course. This shows that the people and GOI are behind Maliki and that means Shabibi should be too. Let's hope the good news continues, going to spend this evening with my family! I have had enough for one day, take care and have a nice night...everyone!!!

Good post Stryker, I hope bloodshed is not the end game after all is said and done.

Me too zig, I believe we will get there, I just hope sooner than later...I'm getting tired of this. Like truthful I have had one of those days!

Edited by Stryker365
  • Upvote 2

Folks, IMO this is the best news that we could have except for an RV of course. This shows that the people and GOI are behind Maliki and that means Shabibi should be too. Let's hope the good news continues, going to spend this evening with my family! I have had enough for one day, take care and have a nice night...everyone!!!

Me too zig, I believe we will get there, I just hope sooner than later...I'm getting tired of this. Like truthful I have had one of those days!

Yes, this is good news, they're trying to work together and making progress.

I hear you about being tired, take the weekend off you'll feel better Monday, Zig wrote a nice song for Carrello, sing that over the weekend. :lol:

[quote name='Stryker365' date='02 March 2012 - 06:45

This is good. I too have had a day! F3 tornado came thru @ lunch 100 yds behind house. Trees down, houses lost & damaged, but we made out ok. Have no power, just phone.

IMO. Thinkin to myself last night. Was going to share earlier. Shabibi says in coming days, 4 days ago. He says give me 3 days, 6-10 months ago (wish I or someone could pull that from archives) . IMO. He needs this holiday to get banks ready and then could or should be right after holiday when banks open Tuesday. Everyone else seems to be giving the nod and coming together with group hugs.

Like to hear other opinions on this with some more proof to help back up, if Yall don't mind.

Hope to have this mess around here cleaned up by then too. And keep us in prayers here in SE TN.

• Upvote 2

This is good. I too have had a day! F3 tornado came thru @ lunch 100 yds behind house. Trees down, houses lost & damaged, but we made out ok. Have no power, just phone.

IMO. Thinkin to myself last night. Was going to share earlier. Shabibi says in coming days, 4 days ago. He says give me 3 days, 6-10 months ago (wish I or someone could pull that from archives) . IMO. He needs this holiday to get banks ready and then could or should be right after holiday when banks open Tuesday. Everyone else seems to be giving the nod and coming together with group hugs.

Like to hear other opinions on this with some more proof to help back up, if Yall don't mind.

Hope to have this mess around here cleaned up by then too. And keep us in prayers here in SE TN.

Yikes! :o Glad to hear you're ok. You're in my prayers!

• Upvote 1

JIT, did you lose your home...damaged? You and your family are okay, but this is a terrible disaster. Is there anything any of us can do from a distance, other than good thoughts? Can we help?

Has anybody heard from bamagirl? I think she may have been in the middle of it too.

JIT, I see you were on this morning. I will quit worrying about you for the moment. Still, is there anything that can be done for you?

Edited by Carrello

JIT, did you lose your home...damaged? You and your family are okay, but this is a terrible disaster. Is there anything any of us can do from a distance, other than good thoughts? Can we help?

Has anybody heard from bamagirl? I think she may have been in the middle of it too.

JIT, I see you were on this morning. I will quit worrying about you for the moment. Still, is there anything that can be done for you?

Thanks for asking Carrello.

We are ok physically, minor damage here, total destruction all around. Still no power and have limited access to internet.

Looking so forward to this RV even more now just to be able to get out of here.

See if you can coach Shabibi on how to push that button please.

Still checking here for updates as much as possible, not able to surf around and help with news.

JIT, I remember Dr. Shabibi stating he needed CBI to be closed for 3 days to implement the RV. I have looked several times, and have never found it again, but I know I read it. Everytime they had a holiday it seems, I would bring it up, but stopped about 4 months ago, because nothing was happening. But he did say it. B)

Thanks for asking Carrello.

We are ok physically, minor damage here, total destruction all around. Still no power and have limited access to internet.

Looking so forward to this RV even more now just to be able to get out of here.

See if you can coach Shabibi on how to push that button please.

Still checking here for updates as much as possible, not able to surf around and help with news.

You've got your priorities. I am so glad you are okay. This is an example of a truly valid reason to have an RV now, and not soon. Take care, JIT. We will be thinking of you.

Has anybody heard from bamagirl?

• Upvote 1

Carrello,

I am sure bamagirl is fine, no tornadoes (that I am aware of) here in central Alabama last night, just heavy thunderstorms. North Bama got hit hard though.

JIT,

Glad you and the family are OK, I am well aware of the difficulties of storms like this. Have hunkered down in the basement many times since I live in central Alabama.

God bless all that were in the path of the storms.

WM13

Edited by waterman13
  • Upvote 1