Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

MALIKI DECLARES 'IRAQ DAY' TO MARK US PULLOUT

k98nights

AFP

January 1, 2012, 1:26 am

3720181125.jpg?x=292&sig=qMilH5pn2peOPgb8M_ABkg--

BAGHDAD (AFP) - Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki declared "Iraq Day" on Saturday to mark the end of a pact allowing US forces to stay in the country, two weeks after they left and with Iraq mired in a political row.

Maliki called for Iraqis to unite, and said the country's days of dictatorship and one-party rule were behind it, even as rival politicians have accused him of centralising decision-making power.

Speaking at a ceremony attended by several ministers and top security officials at the Al-Shaab stadium complex in central Baghdad, Maliki said December 31 was "a feast for all Iraqis" and marked "the day Iraq became sovereign".

"I announce today, the 31st of December, which witnessed the completion of the withdrawal of US forces, to be a national day," Maliki said. "We call it Iraq Day."

"Today, you are raising the Iraqi flag across the nation, and unifying under that flag. Today, Iraq becomes free and you are the masters."

He continued: "The withdrawal of US forces from Iraq returns the country to normality. That makes targeting civilians, police, the army and other security forces, or carrying out any sabotage against infrastructure a huge betrayal, and that puts those who commit these acts in the corner of the enemy."

US troops completed their withdrawal from Iraq on December 18, nearly nine years after Washington launched a controversial war to oust dictator Saddam Hussein.

At their peak, American forces in Iraq numbered nearly 170,000 and had as many as 505 bases. Now, just 157 remain, under the authority of the embassy, to train Iraqi forces to use equipment purchased from the United States.

In 2008, Baghdad and Washington signed a deal which called for all US soldiers to leave Iraq by the end of 2011.

Efforts to keep a significant American military training mission beyond year-end fell through when the two sides failed to agree on a deal to guarantee US troops immunity from prosecution.

The Iraqi premier also told his countrymen that they should "be totally confident that Iraq has rid itself forever of dictatorship and the rule of one party, one sect, and one ruler."

Maliki's remarks came amid a festering political standoff in Iraq, with authorities having charged Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi with running a death squad and Maliki calling for Sunni Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlak to be fired.

Mutlak and Hashemi's Sunni-backed Iraqiya party has boycotted parliament and cabinet meetings. Hashemi, who is holed up in the autonomous Kurdish region, rejects the accusations, while Mutlak has decried the Shiite-led government as a dictatorship.

The support of Iraqiya -- which narrowly won a 2010 poll and garnered most of its seats in Sunni areas, is seen as vital to preventing a resurgence of violence.

The Sunni Arab minority dominated Saddam's regime and was the bedrock of the anti-US insurgency after the 2003 invasion.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/business/12476636/maliki-declares-iraq-day-to-mark-us-pullout/

• Upvote 7

AFP

BAGHDAD (AFP) - Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki declared "Iraq Day" on Saturday to mark the end of a pact allowing US forces to stay in the country, two weeks after they left and with Iraq mired in a political row.

Maliki called for Iraqis to unite, and said the country's days of dictatorship and one-party rule were behind it, even as rival politicians have accused him of centralising decision-making power.

Speaking at a ceremony attended by several ministers and top security officials at the Al-Shaab stadium complex in central Baghdad, Maliki said December 31 was "a feast for all Iraqis" and marked "the day Iraq became sovereign".

"I announce today, the 31st of December, which witnessed the completion of the withdrawal of US forces, to be a national day," Maliki said. "We call it Iraq Day."

"Today, you are raising the Iraqi flag across the nation, and unifying under that flag. Today, Iraq becomes free and you are the masters."

He continued: "The withdrawal of US forces from Iraq returns the country to normality. That makes targeting civilians, police, the army and other security forces, or carrying out any sabotage against infrastructure a huge betrayal, and that puts those who commit these acts in the corner of the enemy."

US troops completed their withdrawal from Iraq on December 18, nearly nine years after Washington launched a controversial war to oust dictator Saddam Hussein.

At their peak, American forces in Iraq numbered nearly 170,000 and had as many as 505 bases. Now, just 157 remain, under the authority of the embassy, to train Iraqi forces to use equipment purchased from the United States.

In 2008, Baghdad and Washington signed a deal which called for all US soldiers to leave Iraq by the end of 2011.

Efforts to keep a significant American military training mission beyond year-end fell through when the two sides failed to agree on a deal to guarantee US troops immunity from prosecution.

The Iraqi premier also told his countrymen that they should "be totally confident that Iraq has rid itself forever of dictatorship and the rule of one party, one sect, and one ruler."

Maliki's remarks came amid a festering political standoff in Iraq, with authorities having charged Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi with running a death squad and Maliki calling for Sunni Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlak to be fired.

Mutlak and Hashemi's Sunni-backed Iraqiya party has boycotted parliament and cabinet meetings. Hashemi, who is holed up in the autonomous Kurdish region, rejects the accusations, while Mutlak has decried the Shiite-led government as a dictatorship.

The support of Iraqiya -- which narrowly won a 2010 poll and garnered most of its seats in Sunni areas, is seen as vital to preventing a resurgence of violence.

The Sunni Arab minority dominated Saddam's regime and was the bedrock of the anti-US insurgency after the 2003 invasion.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/business/12476636/maliki-declares-iraq-day-to-mark-us-pullout/

Ive only been in this circus since october. in fact, i bought my iqd from a bank the day prior to them stopping the trade of it (on a gut.) This is fun to watch, yet ive learned who the clowns are. This site by far, is the best one ever. This post by far is the most positive thread ive read since my involvement. lets RV baby!!!!

This is some big news. Direct coralation to the people/economy of iraq. Also....top stop story cnn. i do believe in iraqi's being a proud people but im concerned with the shiite/sunni extremist. These are the same narrow minded people that attacked our troops and keep the majority of iraq's on a leash from freedom and a flourishing economy. I'm a u.s. air force Christian with a native Iranian Shiite Muslim father and am by no means a newbie to the speculation.

• Upvote 2

I agree STEELErNATION. i enjoy keeping updated and think this is the best site. i rarely feel the need to comment as i usually find some comment from others to hit the nail on the head. When I come across something like this I feel obligated to. Also, thank you to those who usually do hit the nail on the head....and yes, it's generally the same people... Carroll...easyrider...and more whose screenames escape me but you know who you are.

Iraqi Day... uniting under one common flag, common goals perhaps, and who knows?... maybe another event that would unify and advance the country of Iraq... an RV of their currency! Wouldn't that be nice!!! wink.gif

Thanks for the post K98!smile.gif

Come on boyz.... gitter dun!!!biggrin.gif

GO RV Already Baby!!!cool.gif

• Upvote 2

The Iraqis might do well to remember that their new "Iraq Day" was afforded them by the U.S., which unseated a tyrannical dictator, gave them a chance at democracy, and left the country (and all its oil) that Iraq might once again be sovereign. Did the Mongols and other occupiers over the centuries afford them those benefits? History has the answer, and it is a bloody one. Iraq would do well to acknowledge that the U.S. has essentially protected and preserved their vast wealth for them.

Edited by Captjohn
  • Upvote 2

The Iraqis might do well to remember that their new "Iraq Day" was afforded them by the U.S., which unseated a tyrannical dictator, gave them a chance at democracy, and left the country (and all its oil) that Iraq might once again be sovereign. Did the Mongols and other occupiers over the centuries afford them those benefits? History has the answer, and it is a bloody one. Iraq would do well to acknowledge that the U.S. has essentially protected and preserved their vast wealth for them.

...we can only hope Captjohn, but judging by a few who seem to be relishing being free of the "tyrannical Americans" rolleyes.gif and celebrating by burning the Stars and Stripes... not all see it that way! dry.gif Hopefully as they rebuild and reestablish themselves they will reflect on these new freedoms and learn some gratitude.

• Upvote 2

I believe their ignorance is due to the extremist using their faith to keep them from modern media which in turn makes their spectrum of reality very narrow. But.... they can call us cowards all they want. Once they are truly free from oppression they will realize their complete ignorance towards our county....maybe not older generations but even in this country that applies.

AFP

MY GOODNESS ANOTHER HOLIDAY FOR THESE IRAQI'S TO CELEBRATE..... :lol::lol:

...we can only hope Captjohn, but judging by a few who seem to be relishing being free of the "tyrannical Americans" rolleyes.gif and celebrating by burning the Stars and Stripes... not all see it that way! dry.gif Hopefully as they rebuild and reestablish themselves they will reflect on these new freedoms and learn some gratitude.

Agree R and S, time will tell but I seriously believe it is only a few bad apples like those seen burning the Stripe's that day. But it was all B S, Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year folks :) :) :) :)

• Upvote 2

Iraqi Day... uniting under one common flag, common goals perhaps, and who knows?... maybe another event that would unify and advance the country of Iraq... an RV of their currency! Wouldn't that be nice!!! wink.gif

Thanks for the post K98!smile.gif

Come on boyz.... gitter dun!!!biggrin.gif

GO RV Already Baby!!!cool.gif

Oops!! Guess I was thinking of what I need--R&R. Meant R&S. haha Sorry 'bout that.

I love the way you think, R&R!! You crack me up!! And I always agree with you!! lol

• Upvote 1