Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki congratulates Iraqis with text messages on mobile U.S. troops to withdraw

yota691

Maliki congratulates Iraqis with text messages on mobile U.S. troops to withdraw

31.12.2011 | (Voice of Iraq) - Add comments - Baghdad - Where] Agency has received all of Iraq [where] a congratulatory letter addressed to Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to all citizens on their mobile phones [Mobile] Day [iraq] on troops out U.S. out of Iraq. Maliki said in a text message on Mobile "on Iraq, all Iraq's glory and splendor of the people congratulate you and the Iraqi people proud of this day the great historic with Mahbata and respect to you .. brother Nuri al-Maliki." pulled out last U.S. troops from Iraq in 17 of the month before two weeks of the deadline for withdrawal in accordance with the security agreement concluded by the government with the United States in 2008, which stipulates that the withdrawal of U.S. troops from land, air and water in Iraq no later than the day [31] of December 2011.

Read more: http://www.sotaliraq.com/mobile-news.php?id=37011#ixzz1i72lbxzm

• Upvote 1

Regarding your headline remark about everyone having cel phones ... you might be right, and I'll tell you why.

About fifteen years ago, maybe a little less, I had a client who had worked for Bell Canada, through Bell Northern Labs, developing cel phones and cel towers and a lot of the stuff that goes into creating a working cel network. He was telling me that he was going to retire in Costa Rica ... ideal weather, more teachers than policemen, all sorts of good reasons ... and I asked him how much time he had spent there, that he had decided to retire there. Seems like a risky move to me. But not so ...

While he was developing and helping oversee installation of cel towers he spent several months in Costa Rica ... on the job! Cel phones in Costa Rica? I thought the people were mainly inhabitants of fishing villages and small coastal farmers, planted some coffee, harvested some less-than-furniture-grade teak ... but cel phones?

I had the idea that cel phones were for those who could afford them. But then, I was going by information to hand, mainly what was happening in North America at that time. My greatest wish then was to have work that required a cel phone since I couldn't see any other way of justifying the cost. That did turn out but on with my wee story here ...

My client explained that in countries like Costa Rica, Thailand, Vietnam, most of Malaysia and the Pacific Islands of course, the Phillipines, even India, there was no infrastructure for regular land based phones. Think about it, your land line relies on a wire, from your home or office to a pole to another pole to more wires and cables to switching boxes and stations and offices. That is a lot of infrastructure. Here in North America most of that was put us as highway improvements were being done and where there were scant highways and roads those things followed the railway tracks, which went from one coast to the other.

At first the poles and lines following the rail tracks carried morse code, and a train conductor who had to urgently contact head office or repair or whatever for a major break in the track or accident or something, could simply climb the pole, tap in, and send a message with an announcement code telling whoever received it where it had to be sent, and it was sent along. Then, eventually, certain of these lines were twinned and carried telephone signals.

Well think of most of the third world countries. Because of geography, or perhaps more precisely geological formations like mountains and ravines and large lakes, rushing rivers, and the harshest of seasons, such as a rainy season that washes rail tracks away and dry seasons that set entire sections of forest, even equitorial forest aflame, the idea of trains was not always practical. Even roads there are one-vehicle wide and barely that. The ideal way to travel is by horse, or donkey, and the only way to communicate is sometimes hand carried messages. Well, okay ... native drums worked for eons and still do.

When the technology to support wireless communications, starting with the cel phone and then the satellite receiver, were finally able to be supported by cel towers and satellites, not just because of the technology but also because the financing was there to access the technology, suddenly every mule herder, camel driver, cocoa grower, banana plantation owner, desert chieftan, mountain dwelling goat herder ... they all had equal opportunity to communicate. They had access to a cel system.

My client spent years in some of the most interesting, backwards, and deadly parts of the world helping the native populations to set up and learn how to maintain a cel service. At the time we spoke he said that even the street mendicants (beggars) in the streets of lower class merchants in the poorest places on the face of the earth, and he gave several examples, were able to afford a cel phone. They were cheap. They were the only way to communicate. There was no way government was going to spend money on poles, wires and cables, to create an infrastructure that would, in time, be obsolete anyway. Also, sonce the spectre of terrorism, hard wired infrastructure has become something to be avoided, not enhanced.

So, when you make a crical remark indicating that poor people, underprivileged and backward societies, would not have access to modern communication, think again. They may not have a radio, which used to be the sign of wealth in a poor environment, since it meant not only having a radio, which may be ancient, but also the electricity to run it. but they may have a cel phone. More than likely as we do here now, more than one.

I hope I didn't bore you, but I really feel compelled to correct an incorrect perception if I can. Perhaps this will alter your perception of the people of Iraq.

:)

smee2

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Regarding your headline remark about everyone having cel phones ... you might be right, and I'll tell you why.

About fifteen years ago, maybe a little less, I had a client who had worked for Bell Canada, through Bell Northern Labs, developing cel phones and cel towers and a lot of the stuff that goes into creating a working cel network. He was telling me that he was going to retire in Costa Rica ... ideal weather, more teachers than policemen, all sorts of good reasons ... and I asked him how much time he had spent there, that he had decided to retire there. Seems like a risky move to me. But not so ...

While he was developing and helping oversee installation of cel towers he spent several months in Costa Rica ... on the job! Cel phones in Costa Rica? I thought the people were mainly inhabitants of fishing villages and small coastal farmers, planted some coffee, harvested some less-than-furniture-grade teak ... but cel phones?

I had the idea that cel phones were for those who could afford them. But then, I was going by information to hand, mainly what was happening in North America at that time. My greatest wish then was to have work that required a cel phone since I couldn't see any other way of justifying the cost. That did turn out but on with my wee story here ...

My client explained that in countries like Costa Rica, Thailand, Vietnam, most of Malaysia and the Pacific Islands of course, the Phillipines, even India, there was no infrastructure for regular land based phones. Think about it, your land line relies on a wire, from your home or office to a pole to another pole to more wires and cables to switching boxes and stations and offices. That is a lot of infrastructure. Here in North America most of that was put us as highway improvements were being done and where there were scant highways and roads those things followed the railway tracks, which went from one coast to the other.

At first the poles and lines following the rail tracks carried morse code, and a train conductor who had to urgently contact head office or repair or whatever for a major break in the track or accident or something, could simply climb the pole, tap in, and send a message with an announcement code telling whoever received it where it had to be sent, and it was sent along. Then, eventually, certain of these lines were twinned and carried telephone signals.

Well think of most of the third world countries. Because of geography, or perhaps more precisely geological formations like mountains and ravines and large lakes, rushing rivers, and the harshest of seasons, such as a rainy season that washes rail tracks away and dry seasons that set entire sections of forest, even equitorial forest aflame, the idea of trains was not always practical. Even roads there are one-vehicle wide and barely that. The ideal way to travel is by horse, or donkey, and the only way to communicate is sometimes hand carried messages. Well, okay ... native drums worked for eons and still do.

When the technology to support wireless communications, starting with the cel phone and then the satellite receiver, were finally able to be supported by cel towers and satellites, not just because of the technology but also because the financing was there to access the technology, suddenly every mule herder, camel driver, cocoa grower, banana plantation owner, desert chieftan, mountain dwelling goat herder ... they all had equal opportunity to communicate. They had access to a cel system.

My client spent years in some of the most interesting, backwards, and deadly parts of the world helping the native populations to set up and learn how to maintain a cel service. At the time we spoke he said that even the street mendicants (beggars) in the streets of lower class merchants in the poorest places on the face of the earth, and he gave several examples, were able to afford a cel phone. They were cheap. They were the only way to communicate. There was no way government was going to spend money on poles, wires and cables, to create an infrastructure that would, in time, be obsolete anyway. Also, sonce the spectre of terrorism, hard wired infrastructure has become something to be avoided, not enhanced.

So, when you make a crical remark indicating that poor people, underprivileged and backward societies, would not have access to modern communication, think again. They may not have a radio, which used to be the sign of wealth in a poor environment, since it meant not only having a radio, which may be ancient, but also the electricity to run it. but they may have a cel phone. More than likely as we do here now, more than one.

I hope I didn't bore you, but I really feel compelled to correct an incorrect perception if I can. Perhaps this will alter your perception of the people of Iraq.

:)

smee2

I hope for the best for all people regardless who they are, Heck look at the Government of the USA, they now issue cell phone, like it a must have item, to go along with food stamps, free health care, an what ever goes along the line do i qualify. I'm all for helping folks an giving them a hand up, but all these hand outs, not my cup of tea. And no you didn't bore me.

Yeah...I have been to Cambodia for months at a time and everybody has a cell phone despite being a third world nation....

I have also been all over Africa and surprisingly, yes there are, cell phones everywhere. You first think what the heck!!!!! :blink:

Interesting to say the least