Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Constitutional right to picket dead soldiers funerals backed up by Supreme Court

Deathmonkey

These Westboro church guys are despicable, especially since these soldiers died for their right of free speech and religious expression. However, I agree it is free speech, although I loathe them for doing so. All I can hope is that Veterans groups and the different motorcycle clubs keep showing up to block these jackbags from the view of the fallen soldiers families.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/02/westboro-funeral-pickets-protected-speech-high-court-rules/

I posted 2 links to cover both parties on this site

• Upvote 1

Don't know what to say. I agree with the right of free speech. But, where do you draw the line. Apparently you can't. My wish is that these people simply go away. (Wouldn't bother me a bit if some of the people you mentioned above helped that along. ;) )

• Upvote 2

May the people of Westboro lost people close and dear to them. May the people of Westboro when they go to bury them have people screaming, picketing and chating how they are now glad they are dead and now are experiencing extreme pain and suffering. Turn about is fair play.

Lets send all those disrespectful idiots to Iraq or Afghanistan and

let them see what it is like to defend their rights. They may come

home with a different attitude.

They disgust me.

They are ignorant. They don't understand because they have always been free and have not been exposed to cultures that are not.

I was expressing similar thoughts yesterday, watching the people of Eqypt joyfully spitting on a picture of Mubarak and defacing it and thought about how that simple act might get them executed probably just a couple of months ago. Think about that.

Then I think of the freedoms we take for granted here in the US and how most people cannot really grasp (as I cannot) what it must be like to live that way, in fear of every word you speak that you may be persecuted for it!

God Bless our Country

God Bless our Freedoms

God Bless our Troops and their Families

God Bless those ignorant ones as well for they are also His

• Upvote 1

I don't think I can express how much I hate what these picketers are doing!! I once took an oath to defend the constitution of the United States of America, as far as I know that oath had no expiration date. This is citizenship 101, to defend a persons rights, no matter how WRONG you feel their views are. God bless our veterans!! God bless the bikers!! God bless the U.S.A.!!!

'I don't agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it' - Voltaire.

Like the rest of you, I find this behavior to be just about the lowest form of human behavior possible, other than perhaps teason. And yet, what an incredible country that allows such despicable behavior to exist without bloodshed.

I see it more as people seeking their 15 mins of fame. If you don't pay any attention, they will go back to thier mundane existance and muttering..."you want fries with that?".

Again, our liberal judges rule against the majority to protect 15 mindless morons....We all have to suck it up because of a few. I've had enough

Unfortunately i hate what they are picketing, but it was not Liberal or Conservative Judges, It was the United State Supreme Court upholding the Constitution and your's and my right to freedom of speech. I just wish it wasn't the right of loonie's freedom of speech.

Edited by chilli24

Its seems like some way they could stop it. Like, when they are in a cemetery they are on private property, they can kick them out for traspassing. Or, say call the police and say they are loitering. Right. When there is a cop there is a way.

• Upvote 1

Again, our liberal judges rule against the majority to protect 15 mindless morons....We all have to suck it up because of a few. I've had enough

Don't make this a liberal argument. The judgment was 8-1 in favor of them being able to use their right for free speech.

Its seems like some way they could stop it. Like, when they are in a cemetery they are on private property, they can kick them out for traspassing. Or, say call the police and say they are loitering. Right. When there is a cop there is a way.

They line up along the route of the procession outside the funeral. So they are on public property, but the bikers take care of them :)

• Upvote 1