Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

THE GREATEST COMEBACK IN AMERICAN HISTORY

Oklahoma Republicans Speak Out Against Trump Ahead Of Tulsa Rally

Ed Mazza HuffPostJune 19, 2020

President Donald Trump is heading to Oklahoma on Saturday for his first campaign rally in more than three months. But not everyone is welcoming the visit. 

A new ad by Republican Voters Against Trump features local members of the party who’ve vowed to help defeat the president’s reelection. The organization of never-Trump Republicans said the spot will air multiple times on Fox News in Oklahoma on Friday, including twice in primetime, as well as in six swing states: 

“Trump is a danger to our country, he’s a danger to our democracy,” a voter identified as Nancy says in the spot. “He needs to go.” 

Republican Voters Against Trump has been collecting testimonial videos from GOP voters around the nation who plan to vote for former Vice President Joe Biden in November. 

Sarah Longwell, the group’s spokesperson, said there are Republican voters who expect more from a leader.

“More and more of them are starting to speak up and say, ‘Enough is enough,’” she said in a statement. “His hold on the party is starting to slip.”

The Lincoln Project, another anti-Trump Republican group, has also been running ads against the president, including one earlier this week that questioned his health.

Trump has dismissed them all as “losers.” 

https://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-republicans-against-trump-070044970.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Tulsa Can’t Opt Out of Trump’s Massive Coronavirus Gamble

a76e9ca0-ba9f-11e7-afbd-e700b0f36d78_daily_beast.png
Olivia Messer
The Daily BeastJune 19, 2020

Lawrence Bryant/Reuters
Lawrence Bryant/Reuters

Amid weeks of civil unrest following the police killing of George Floyd, Oklahoma state Representative Regina Goodwin witnessed a disturbing sight on Wednesday: masses of Donald Trump supporters—some in Confederate gear—lining up blocks from the site of the 1921 race massacre on “Black Wall Street” in Tulsa.

Some of the assembled fans, determined to attend the president’s first campaign rally in months, sang pro-Trump anthems and told local reporters they set up tents in order to ensure they got good seats inside the nearly 20,000-person arena. After all, it promised to be the largest indoor public gathering in the country since COVID-19 sent a shockwave of lockdowns and quarantines throughout the world.

“The point is to rally his base, and they are out there on this sidewalk wanting to be the first in line,” Goodwin, who serves as chair of the Oklahoma Legislative Black Caucus, told The Daily Beast. “I’ve seen people out there sleeping with the Confederate flag symbol. Because of the racist elements that he attracts, you’re adding fuel to the fire of the racial tensions in Tulsa.”

But that’s not the only problem facing Goodwin’s constituents. The state’s COVID-19 numbers are “continuing to climb and climb and climb,” as she put it, and the rally is likely to be populated by uniquely COVID-19-skeptical hordes amid a surging pandemic that has hit communities of color with horrific force.

The Race Massacre Trump Ignored Because America Tries to Hide Its Sins

As of Thursday, Oklahoma had 8,904 cumulative cases of the virus, which had caused 364 deaths. Compared to other states, those numbers were relatively low. But compared to Oklahoma’s previous numbers, they amounted to an ominous trend. Authorities reported new record-high case counts in the state at large—and in Tulsa specifically—in recent days. In fact, at least one recent cluster made national news when it forced a 1,600-employee factory for home appliances manufacturer Whirlpool to temporarily shutter. Adding to the concern on Thursday, local authorities reported that a technical error would delay its COVID-19 reporting numbers.

Gov. Kevin Stitt reopened Oklahoma’s economy on June 1, and Dr. Bruce Dart, the executive director of the Tulsa County Health Department, told The Daily Beast last week that an increasing number of residents have stopped wearing masks or staying home due to “quarantine fatigue.” 

“The state was open too soon and this was predicted, and that’s what we’re getting,” said Goodwin. 

A plethora of scientific studies and media reports have shown the Black community is being hit disproportionately hard by COVID-19. Meanwhile, many Black Tulsans work in Greenwood, the setting of the 1921 massacre where roughly 300 people were killed, 35 city blocks were burned, more than 800 people injured, and 10,000 Black Tulsans were left without homes. The fact that the neighborhood is mere blocks away from the setting of the rally, which was initially scheduled on Juneteenth—the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the end of slavery in the country—has not escaped anyone’s attention. 

Nor have the epidemiological risks.

Local public health authorities all the way up to the top infectious disease experts in the country have sounded the alarm in recent weeks over the risks of Trump’s rally. Even the typically party-line hosts of Fox and Friends appeared nervous about it on Thursday morning.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the public face of the nation’s coronavirus response, told The Daily Beast earlier this week that he would not personally be willing to attend the event since he’s “in a high-risk category.”

“Of course not,” Fauci said, noting that a good rule of thumb is that “outside is better than inside, no crowd is better than crowd” and “crowd is better than big crowd.”

Days earlier, Dart, the executive director of the Tulsa County Health Department, urged people not to attend and told The Daily Beast he asked Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum to “postpone the event until it’s safe for large crowds to gather indoors.” Mayor Bynum’s office only responded to a request for comment this week from The Daily Beast by noting that he was “not available,” though the event appears to be within the city’s control. The arena hosting the rally, the BOK Center, has been closed since March “out of an abundance of caution,” according to its official website. And the City of Tulsa website declares that it must grant a permit for any event at the facility, though Bynum has said he did not know about it until after a permit was already given.

“I’m not positive that everything is safe,” Bynum said on Wednesday.

Dr. Irwin Redlener, director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University and an expert on U.S. readiness for pandemics, called the rally “unconscionable”—especially in a state where he described the COVID-19 situation as “not exactly stable.”

“It’s likely that an event like this, at this particular moment, is going to be a super-spreader event,” said Redlener, painting a portrait where even one infected attendee could transmit the virus to dozens, who could in turn infect their friends, families, and coworkers. 

Deadly clusters started by just one asymptomatic or presymptomatic person have been documented all over the country in recent months, in Arkansas, in Chicago, in Washington state, and in New York. In many of those cases, all appropriate precautions were followed, and people still died.

To that end, the BOK Center, which is hosting the event, has reportedly hired a private firm to conduct temperature tests, while event staff will pass out masks and hand sanitizer. But attendees will not be required to wear masks—and given the president’s own behavior and the cascading culture wars over mask use, it’s fair to wonder how many people would willingly oblige.

Redlener noted attendance at all is still a gamble, even with protections, and a significant number of people will likely be forced to work at Trump’s event.

“What if just one person dies who had nothing to do with the rally?” asked Redlener. “Is that worth it? It’s a very cold calculus that they are taking, and I would do everything in my power if I was a public official to put an end to it.”

To be clear, like Fauci, the Republican mayor has said he would not be willing to personally attend the rally—but would greet the president beforehand. But in addition to the nearly 20,000 people who can fit inside the BOK Center, an overflow audience is reportedly set to be held in the nearby Cox Business Convention Center, according to The Tulsa World. Trump said this week that more than one million people had requested tickets, though that had not been verified. While at least 100,000 people were expected to attend the related events, it was not yet clear on Thursday how many people would be attending the overflow rally.

The Tulsa County Public Health Department declined a request for an interview with The Daily Beast this week but provided the agency’s public health recommendations, which note that “any large gathering of people in enclosed spaces where social distancing is difficult to maintain” is cause for concern, and urge residents to avoid such events and to continue to wear masks and practice diligent hand hygiene.

Despite the apparent consensus from bipartisan lawmakers, doctors, and public health experts—and an unwillingness from even the city’s mayor to attend the dangerous event—the community’s best shot at preventing the rally was, for better or worse, in court.

Lawyers Clark Brewster and Paul DeMuro filed a writ on Wednesday morning on behalf of four plaintiffs—Greenwood District Limited, the general partners of the neighborhood’s Chamber of Commerce, in addition to the John Hope Franklin Center for Reconciliation and two immune-compromised Tulsans—to the Oklahoma Supreme Court, seeking an injunction against the companies holding the rally.

The BOK Center is owned by the city and managed by a firm called ASM Global. Doug Thornton, executive vice president for Arena, Stadia and Theaters at ASM Global, said during a Thursday special meeting of the Tulsa Public Facilities Authority that the company was “told at the time by city officials there were no concerns from a public safety standpoint,” according to The Tulsa World. A spokesman for the company did not respond to a request for comment from The Daily Beast last week, and voicemails left on Thursday were not immediately returned.

The underlying lawsuit was initially filed in Tulsa County District Court, where the petition was denied after a set of COVID-19 cases among workers at the courthouse led to new protective measures, Brewster told The Daily Beast. The suit seeks to force BOK Center management to abide by safety protocols amid the pandemic, including temperature screenings, social distancing, limited seating capacity, and attorneys’ fees and costs, The World first reported.

Brewster said that he and his co-counsel were set for a Thursday afternoon hearing and were told to expect a ruling on Friday.

“As a lawyer I would strongly defend [Trump’s] right to have that assemblage and the right of free speech for his supporters,” Brewster told The Daily Beast on Wednesday. “The problem is that Tulsa has had a sharp escalation in infections. It looks like a hockey stick.”

“You can’t even have a jury trial right now, and this event is going to pack in up to 20,000 people inside the convention center,” said Brewster.

In an apparent acknowledgement of the rally’s danger, the Trump campaign made national headlines in recent weeks after it required people to sign a waiver assuming “all risks related to exposure to COVID-19” and agreeing not to hold the president or the arena responsible for any “illness or injury” before entering the BOK Center. 

“Nothing prevents them from infecting the rest of us,” as Goodwin pointed out. “That doesn’t protect those of us who don’t want to be infected.” 

“We don’t have any waivers that we’re obliged to sign,” she added.

As Brewster put it: “Even if you wanted to attend it and signed a release, that doesn't mean you aren’t going to take it to the nursing home where you work.”

“They’re going to hand out masks and hand sanitizer, but we have a reasonable expectation that people in attendance will not be wearing masks,” he added. “This isn’t about politics. It wouldn’t make a difference if this was a Garth Brooks concert. I’d be filing the same injunction.”

What does make a difference is the cultural moment in which this potentially deadly experiment is taking place.

As Goodwin put it, “You’ve got the COVID-19 virus and the virus of racism, and somehow there seems to be a collision of the two in Tulsa.”

https://news.yahoo.com/tulsa-t-opt-trump-massive-082419276.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Shabibilicious said:

Trumpkins  :lol:  Particularly the ones who claim to NOT be Trump supporters, but their 24/7 actions prove otherwise.  

GO RV, then BV

I've explained myself multiple times to you where I stand with Trump. I didn't vote for him and I won't vote for him. I love how he exposes the DEMONIC possessed liberals. And I KNOW why they hate him so much.

You've insisted repeatedly that I'm a liar and basically called me that in another thread. Therefore, as your Brother I will treat you as I've treated my entire childhood family.  I love you, but there's absolutely nothing I can do for you.  Allow me to be another of the many here that have chosen not to respond to your post ever again.  

I make this choice with a heavy heart and great respect for this site. Any further attempt to communicate with someone who thinks you're a liar will only end with serious violations of forum rules. 

God Bless you and I hope you find peace in your life. 

Scotty 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

I've explained myself multiple times to you where I stand with Trump. I didn't vote for him and I won't vote for him. I love how he exposes the DEMONIC possessed liberals. And I KNOW why they hate him so much.

You've insisted repeatedly that I'm a liar and basically called me that in another thread. Therefore, as your Brother I will treat you as I've treated my entire childhood family.  I love you, but there's absolutely nothing I can do for you.  Allow me to be another of the many here that have chosen not to respond to your post ever again.  

I make this choice with a heavy heart and great respect for this site. Any further attempt to communicate with someone who thinks you're a liar will only end with serious violations of forum rules. 

God Bless you and I hope you find peace in your life. 

Scotty 

Sorry you feel that way.  Peace be with you, brother.  

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oklahoma coronavirus cases surge, hospitalizations rise ahead of Trump's Tulsa rally

1b8d34c0-ffe6-11e8-9efb-906719b9955b
Chris Casteel, The Oklahoman
USA TODAYJune 19, 2020

5ee2c0b661164d0001116b05_864x1080_FES_v1.jpg
Scroll back up to restore default view.

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma cases of COVID-19 rose by 450 on Thursday, blowing past the record 259 daily cases reported on Wednesday, as the surge of infections continued ahead of a massive rally for President Donald Trump and demonstrations set for this weekend in Tulsa.

The Oklahoma State Health Department’s daily update showed Oklahoma City added 80 cases and Tulsa added 82, as the state’s total rose to 9,354. There were two additional deaths, raising the total to 366.

The figures were released not long after Gov. Kevin Stitt participated at a roundtable at the White House and told Trump that Oklahoma was “one of the first states that has safely and measurably reopened.”

“Oklahoma is ready for your visit,” the governor said. “It’s going to be safe and everyone’s really really excited.”

The surge in COVID-19 cases in Oklahoma is being driven largely by increases among younger people, according to state Health Department figures that show 54% of the new cases in the past two weeks were people 35 and younger.

The age group most vulnerable to serious illness and death, those 65 and older, had the smallest percentage increase in cases from June 3 to 17, according to the Health Department data.

Meanwhile, hospitalizations topped 200 for the first time since May 20, rising to 211, according to information released Thursday evening.

Though Stitt has spoken frequently about the state flattening the curve of new cases, the reopening of state businesses since late April has led to the highest daily case numbers seen in Oklahoma since the pandemic began.

New records of case numbers have been set on several recent days.

An analysis of reports from June 3 through June 17 shows 2,099 new cases in that period, with 909 of them, or 43%, in the age group of 18 to 35. Overall, cases in that age group jumped by one-third over the previous total.

There were 190 new cases in the age group 5 to 17, accounting for 9% of the increase in the past two weeks. That was a 41% jump overall from that age group’s case total prior to June 3.

Among children younger than 5, there were 47 new cases, which was an increase of 32% in that age group since June 3.

The increase for people 65 and older was 200 cases from June 3-17, which was 11% above the overall total before June 3. People 65 and over account for 80% of the COVID-19 related deaths in Oklahoma.

At a news conference on Wednesday, Stitt cited the age groups in discussing the surge in cases.

“In the last two weeks, more than half of the cases have been people under 35 ... because people are getting back out,” he said.

“Since this pandemic started, we’ve had 3,171 (cases) in that age group, with just six deaths.”

Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt said Thursday on Twitter that “the recent spike in cases has not been matched with a spike in hospitalizations & deaths because the new cases were disproportionately driven by people under the age of 35. That was and is a new twist in our city’s pandemic story.”

Holt tweeted, “Case numbers matter but it also matters who is accounting for those cases and how the virus is affecting them.”

Health Department officials have said in the past week that they expected COVID-19 cases to rise as the state reopened in phases over the past several weeks. No specific outbreaks at a business or long term care facility have been cited in the recent surge; protests that followed the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer have also not been cited.

State Health Commissioner Lance Frye said Wednesday, “Once you reopen, we are expecting an increase in numbers quite frankly because as people get out and they move around more. As businesses open up, you're going to have more increased contact and you’re going to have an increase in numbers.”

The surge in cases comes as tens of thousands of people plan to gather in Tulsa this weekend for Juneteenth activities, Trump’s re-election rally and demonstrations connected to the rally.

Public health officials have cautioned that participants risk infection or spreading the disease. The Trump campaign announced that it would take temperatures at the door and distribute masks and hand sanitizer, though people won’t have to wear the masks.

The management company for the BOK Center released a statement saying it will "encourage all attendees to remain masked throughout the duration of the event until they exit the building. Signage reminding attendees of precautions will be placed throughout the building."

Frye also suggested that people be tested before and after the events this weekend.

Stitt was tested for the first time on Thursday before entering the White House for a roundtable discussion on small businesses. His test results were negative.

https://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-coronavirus-cases-surge-hospitalizations-131114370.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Heat, virus no deterrent for Trump fans camped outside arena

SARA BURNETT, TOM McCARTHY and SEAN MURPHY
Associated PressJune 18, 2020

5eebd02c92fc280f410bdd45_o_U_v2.jpg
Scroll back up to restore default view.

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Rick Frazier drove more than 750 miles from Ohio to Tulsa to be one of the first campers in line for President Donald Trump's first rally in months, undeterred by a days-long wait in searing heat, the growing risk of the coronavirus or a lukewarm reception from local officials.

The 64-year-old is among scores of supporters who have brought their vans, tents, campers and Trump flags to the parking lots and sidewalks outside the 19,000-seat BOK Center, and who say what matters most is being there to see the president take the stage on Saturday — and to be sure he knows they have his back.

“The big thing is to go in and support the president,” said Frazier, who arrived Tuesday for what will be his 21st Trump rally. Frazier said he feels safe, noting he and other campers are using hand sanitizer to prevent spread of COVID-19.

Trump rallies are known for being big events with a sometimes festival-like atmosphere, and have always drawn die-hard fans who sleep outside for days to secure a spot and pass time at a kind of political tailgate party. The groups gathering in Tulsa are taking that loyalty to a new level, though some called the coronavirus threat “an exaggeration.”

Temperatures in Tulsa have reached the 90s, and the Trump faithful are camped in an area with hardly a spot of shade. While Trump said Thursday he picked Oklahoma partly because “you’ve done so well with the COVID," the city has seen record numbers of new coronavirus cases this week, and Tulsa Health Department Director Bruce Dart has pushed for postponing the event.

Trump said there had been “tremendous requests for tickets" and that there will be “a crowd like I guess nobody has seen before," creating the kind of packed, indoor space that scientists say heighten the virus' spread more than outdoors.

His rallies typically include a lot of shouting and chanting, and attendees often travel from long distances, prompting fears they could be infected and then spread it to people back home. In an attempt to protect itself from lawsuits, Trump’s campaign added language to the event registration stating guests assumed risk for expose to COVID-19.

But meeting with Trump at the White House Thursday, Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt pledged the state is ready, noting its rate of positive COVID-19 tests is lower than many other states. As of this week, Tulsa County has displaced Oklahoma County as the state’s leading COVID-19 hotspot with 1,825 cases.

“It’s going to be safe,” said Stitt, a Republican. “We have to learn how to be safe and how to move on.”

That has not reassured BOK Center management, who requested a written health and safety plan from the Trump campaign Thursday. In a statement to Oklahoma City television station KFOR, rally organizers appeared unimpressed but said they will review the request.

The Trump campaign said Thursday that it takes “safety seriously," noting that organizers are providing masks, hand sanitizers and doing temperature checks for all attendees.

“This will be a Trump rally, which means a big, boisterous, excited crowd," the campaign said. “We don’t recall the media shaming demonstrators about social distancing — in fact the media were cheering them on."

Meanwhile, protesters have also begun gathering outside the Tulsa venue, where Trump had originally been scheduled to speak Friday. He changed the date amid an uproar that it would occur on Juneteenth, which marks the end of slavery in the U.S., and in a city where a 1921 white-on-black attack killed as many as 300 people. Black community leaders said they still worry Saturday's rally could spark violence.

Trump has taken a hiatus from the rallies that have been a centerpiece of his campaign, halting them since March 2 because of the spreading virus, which has killed around 118,000 people in the U.S. But he has been eager to return to the events, which allow him to rally his base and build the campaign database of supporters. Saturday's rally also could provide a bit of diversion from criticism over Trump's handling of the pandemic and the protests following the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Rainey Strader, 48, who traveled to Tulsa from Iowa with her husband and 75-year-old mother, said she brought a mask but isn't sure if she will wear it once she gets inside the venue. Strader said she isn't worried about COVID-19, which she considers to be “like the flu.”

“It’s just a new thing and everybody’s worried,” said Strader, who was working a word-search puzzle while she waited Thursday with her mother while her husband slept in their van. “It’s exaggerated.”

Strader's mother, Catherine Pahsetopah, also said she's not sure if she will wear her mask, despite being considered high-risk for COVID-19 because of her age and having health problems. She said she's seen presidents come and go — all the way “back to Eisenhower” — and Trump ranks among the best.

“He’s great. He’s wonderful," Pahsetopah said, adding that “If John Kennedy knew what happened to the Democratic Party he wouldn’t want them” because of their support for "aborting the babies.”

Delmer Phillips, 41, of Tulsa, described himself and others that showed up early for the rally as “front-row Joes” excited to get a glimpse of the president. He said he won’t wear a mask this weekend because he believes he may have already had the virus and has built up immunity.

“I’m personally not so worried about it,” he said. “I believe in God, and I don’t live in fear."

https://news.yahoo.com/heat-virus-no-deterrent-trump-223510517.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let’s do the math!

20,000 people at the Trump rally. And that’s just who will be inside there will many more on the out side along with anti Trump protesters. But we will just look at the 20,000 inside. 

Out of the 20,000 inside the math says 100 will be a systematic with the covid 19 virus. These 100 people 20 will be heavily shedding the virus. So these 100 people will spread the virus to 1000 people.(that’s low end estimates)These 1000 people will now go home be around family members and in their community spreading the virus. And with the death rate of .053 in the US. 53 people who directly attended the Trump rally will die from covid 19. Rally goers have a 1 and 20 chance of getting covid 19. 53 lives so POTUS can get an ego boost. And you guys are going to vote for this idiot. Math doesn’t lie it can’t numbers are numbers with an outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, caddieman said:

Let’s do the math!

20,000 people at the Trump rally. And that’s just who will be inside there will many more on the out side along with anti Trump protesters. But we will just look at the 20,000 inside. 

Out of the 20,000 inside the math says 100 will be a systematic with the covid 19 virus. These 100 people 20 will be heavily shedding the virus. So these 100 people will spread the virus to 1000 people.(that’s low end estimates)These 1000 people will now go home be around family members and in their community spreading the virus. And with the death rate of .053 in the US. 53 people who directly attended the Trump rally will die from covid 19. Rally goers have a 1 and 20 chance of getting covid 19. 53 lives so POTUS can get an ego boost. And you guys are going to vote for this idiot. Math doesn’t lie it can’t numbers are numbers with an outcome. 

thanks Dr Fauci's assistant!

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, caddieman said:

Let’s do the math!

@caddieman,

Quote: "...death rate of 0.053"???

Where's your source for this death rate, which by my calculations is 5.3%. I believe that the number is closer to the common flu: 0.1%!

Indy

Edited by Indraman
  • Upvote 1