Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

May 18, 2018 - Articles

umbertino

‘Unbelievable’: Irish family celebrate after record £152m ($198.56B) lottery win

Ticket was stashed in an Argos catalogue under a mattress until it could be taken to lottery HQ

Rory Carroll Ireland Correspondent

Wed 20 Feb 2019 13.39 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/20/surprisingly-calm-irish-lottery-winner-lands-152m

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Woman dies after eating at Michelin-starred restaurant

Spanish authorities say 28 others suffered food poisoning after dining at Riff in Valencia

Sam Jones in Madrid

Thu 21 Feb 2019 15.55 GMT Last modified on Thu 21 Feb 2019 19.50 GMT

4698.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=50e6e9bed6320d9f0dd68749460e49c4
Bernd H Knöller, the head chef and owner of Riff, offered his deepest condolences and said he was working with the regional health authorities
Photograph: Leonid Andronov/Getty Images

Winter storms bring rare snowfall to Las Vegas and Los Angeles

Authorities closed portions of main routes from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and Phoenix because of snow, ice and limited visibility

Guardian staff and agencies

Fri 22 Feb 2019 01.10 GMT

Vid & pics

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/21/las-vegas-weather-snowfall-first-significant-1937

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Stanley Donen, director of Singin' in the Rain, dies aged 94

Donen, who received an honorary Oscar in 1997, also directed On the Town, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Charade

Martin Pengelly in New York

Sat 23 Feb 2019 14.18 GMT

1358.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=d562f2d21e1e4998cf2cdddab29f6f70
Stanley Donen on the set of Adult Entertainment on 23 November 2002
Photograph: Jim Cooper/AP

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Church files on paedophile priests 'destroyed', cardinal admits

A top Catholic cardinal admitted on Saturday that Church files on priests who sexually abused children were destroyed or never even drawn up, a move which allowed paedophiles to prey on others

AFP
23 February 2019
11:07 CET+01:00

"Files that could have documented the terrible deeds and named those responsible were destroyed, or not even created," German Cardinal Reinhard Marx said in a speech to a landmark Vatican summit on tackling paedophilia in 
the clergy.

"Instead of the perpetrators, the victims were regulated and silence imposed on them. The stipulated procedures and processes for the prosecution of offences were deliberately not complied with, but instead cancelled or overridden," he said.

Marx was speaking on the third day of an unprecedented meeting of the world's top bishops which Pope Francis has called in an effort to get on top of a crisis that has dogged the Roman Catholic Church for decades.

The ongoing scandals have escalated into a crisis which has touched many countries across the globe, with recent cases affecting Chile, Germany and the US. Investigations have revealed that in many cases priests accused of assaulting minors were transferred to other parishes as bishops turned a blind eye to protect the Church's reputation.

"The rights of victims were effectively trampled underfoot, and left to the whims of individuals. These are all events that sharply contradict what the Church should stand for," Marx said.

The cardinal said it was essential that victims felt "that they can trust the system".

"There are no alternatives to traceability and transparency," he insisted, adding that attempts to cover-up scandals risked seriously undermining the Catholic Church's credibility.

Francis has told his bishops he wants "concrete measures" drawn up against child sex abuse, though survivor groups in Rome for the summit have accused the Vatican of fine words but little action.

https://www.thelocal.it/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Alabama newspaper at centre of KKK outcry appoints black female editor

Elecia R. Dexter takes reins of Democrat-Reporter from Goodloe Sutton, who called for return of Ku Klux Klan

Reuters

Sun 24 Feb 2019 04.19 GMT Last modified on Sun 24 Feb 2019 08.26 GMT

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Facebook threatens the economy, health and democracy

Transparency and technocratic reforms will not be a sufficient response to this challenge – at the end of the day, what’s at stake is far more important than a few likes

Sun 24 Feb 2019 11.00 GMT Last modified on Sun 24 Feb 2019 11.18 GMT

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

A young woman vanishes The police can't help. Her desperate family won't give up

Ashley Heavyrunner Loring disappeared from the Blackfeet reservation in Montana – a 1.5m-acre expanse of land. To find her, family and allies are deploying everything they can think of – including drones

Mon 25 Feb 2019 08.00 GMT

by Kate Hodal

Video by Tom Silverstone

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/25/a-young-woman-vanishes-the-police-cant-help-her-desperate-family-wont-give-up

• Downvote 3

Vatican to take no action on George Pell until appeal is over

Outcome of child sexual abuse trial was ‘painful news that has shocked many’ says Vatican

Angela Giuffrida in Rome

Tue 26 Feb 2019 12.28 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/26/george-pell-vatican-no-action-until-appeal-is-over

• Downvote 2

Nearly 200 passengers still stranded after 24 hours since Amtrak train hit tree

Train hit a tree on the tracks near Eugene, Oregon Sunday evening, and Amtrak decided to keep passengers onboard

Associated Press in Portland, Oregon

Tue 26 Feb 2019 14.02 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/26/amtrak-train-delay-passengers-stuck-hit-tree

Jeff Bezos: world's richest man finally tops list of biggest donors

Bezos, who holds Amazon stock valued at about $137bn, contributed a total of $2bn in 2018

Edward Helmore

Tue 26 Feb 2019 11.00 GMT Last modified on Tue 26 Feb 2019 13.10 GMT

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Iceberg twice the size of New York City is set to break away from Antarctica

Once a rapidly spreading rift intersects with another fissure, an iceberg of at least 660sq miles is set to be loosened, Nasa says

Oliver Milman in New York

Tue 26 Feb 2019 20.42 GMT

2048.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=dcff16066739e92e75fef60aa254d01a
The shear face of the massive B-15A iceberg in McMurdo Sound after it broke off the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica
Photograph: Josh Landis/AFP/Getty Images

• Downvote 3

'Take him away, please': George Pell hadn't dressed for prison, but that's where he went

The only question on the agenda today was how long the man who once bestrode the Catholic world will be living behind bars

David Marr

Wed 27 Feb 2019 08.32 GMT

3189.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=eb86915250105372fa12c10acdd82b18
Cardinal George Pell arrives at Melbourne’s county court on Wednesday when his bail was revoked and he was sent to jail
Photograph: Michael Dodge/Getty Images

Good....About time....Always too late

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Wow....I'm honestly surprised now.......A neg for cardinal Pell post above? Do you condone child molesters????? Just asking....It's true that you do neg basically any topic   as long as I am the one posting it, mr. hater....Even the iceberg post and also the one on the vanishing girl in Montana.....You are a very peculiar (weird would be the more appropriate term) individual indeed....But  it's all ok, I guess.....As long as you do enjoy your negging ( and don't mind stooping that low with your absurd negs)...Hey...If that makes you happy......

Yes...I know.....Neg away.......I do expect that

Girl, 11, gives birth to rapist's child after Argentina refuses abortion

Campaigners condemn authorities who ignored girl’s plea ‘to remove what the old man put inside me’

Uki Goñi in Buenos Aires

Thu 28 Feb 2019 14.28 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/feb/28/girl-11-gives-birth-to-rapists-child-after-argentina-refuses-abortion

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Shock rise in global measles outbreaks 'disastrous' for children, UN warns

Unicef calls for improved vaccination as study shows Ukraine, Brazil and the Philippines among 10 worst affected countries

Peter Beaumont

Fri 1 Mar 2019 07.00 GMT

4869.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=ff6dfa9d74740d10152518077680028f
A child suffering from measles is treated at a government hospital in Manila, the capital of the Philippines, where 12,736 measles cases and 203 deaths have been recorded so far this year
Photograph: Francis R Malasig/EPA

Hamza bin Laden loses Saudi citizenship after US offers $1m reward

Kingdom acts against Osama bin Laden’s son, who US says has become an al-Qaida leader

Associated Press

Fri 1 Mar 2019 15.10 GMT First published on Fri 1 Mar 2019 13.33 GMT

1875.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=8c33efd96419785703c2ba401892026e
A photo on the State Department’s Twitter account announcing the $1m reward for help tracing Hamza bin Laden
Photograph: Reuters

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Wiped out: America's love of luxury toilet paper is destroying Canadian forests

Major brands’ refusal to use sustainable materials is having a devastating impact on forests and climate, new report says

Sam Wolfson

Fri 1 Mar 2019 15.56 GMT Last modified on Fri 1 Mar 2019 17.34 GMT

5140.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=9a9ff5772cf5b7d4f13f2240d6137892
Rolling in the deep? The average four-person household in the US uses over 100lb of toilet paper a year
Photograph: ICHIRO/Getty Images

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Revealed: Facebook’s global lobbying against data privacy laws

Social network targeted legislators around the world, promising or threatening to withhold investment

Carole Cadwalladr and Duncan Campbell

Sat 2 Mar 2019 14.00 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/mar/02/facebook-global-lobbying-campaign-against-data-privacy-laws-investment

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Stephon Clark: police officers who shot man eight times will not be charged

• District attorney says officers justified in using lethal force
  • Protests expected over decision on March 2018 shooting

David Kempa in Sacramento

Sun 3 Mar 2019 02.16 GMT

1242.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=1a09cdb49434b52ce8f9810ca9be43eb
Stephon Clark and his two sons
Photograph: Courtesy of the family

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

Alabama tornadoes kill at least 23 and cause 'catastrophic' damage

Sheriff says death toll is likely to rise as as as search-and-rescue efforts continued in the south-eastern part of the state

Edward Helmore in New York and agencies

Mon 4 Mar 2019 16.59 GMT

2 vids

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/04/alabama-tornado-deaths-catastrophic-damage

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

French cardinal found guilty of covering up sexual abuse

Philippe Barbarin handed six-month suspended sentence after surprise verdict

Harriet Sherwood Religion correspondent

Thu 7 Mar 2019 09.29 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/07/philippe-barbarin-french-cardinal-found-guilty-of-failing-to-act-on-sexual-abuse-allegations

Where is the world's hardest-drinking city?

Is it Vilnius, Seoul, Moscow or Kiev? And what do alcohol consumption statistics tell us about a city and its culture?

Helen Lock

Thu 7 Mar 2019 06.00 GMT Last modified on Thu 7 Mar 2019 06.02 GMT

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Negger...It's honestly beyond me why you felt like negging me even for posting an article on Int'l Women Day and wishing  a happy Int'l Women Day to all the DV Ladies..... Seems like in your vast and generalized  hatred ( were you neglected  as a child and received not enough love, maybe?) you also hate Women.....

I know...Your only scope is  to neg ME ...No matter what I post.....Another clear evidence of the type of Individual you are....Please do take a minute and think of it

So very sorry about that.....I will pray for you

Japanese woman, 116, named world's oldest living person

Kane Tanaka, born in 1903, recognised by Guinness World Records

Associated Press

Sat 9 Mar 2019 06.33 GMT Last modified on Sat 9 Mar 2019 06.45 GMT

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, pokerplayer said:

Did the best I could Umbertino, to remove some of the sting.

Hey negger, tag me for awhile as I really don't care. That way you can leave Umbertino alone.

Sheeesh, some people.

pp

Thank you, my dear Canadian Friend......You are really special

I do appreciate enormously your stance on that....You're bold and strong....

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, umbertino said:

Thank you, my dear Canadian Friend......You are really special

I do appreciate enormously your stance on that....You're bold and strong....

Your very welcome Umbertino. It is very obvious that it is not the articles the red baron dislikes, but in fact you, for reasons I admit puzzle me.

Stay strong.

pp

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, umbertino said:

you also hate Women.....

LOL! i am rather fond of Women!

Gee am i getting under your skin?

I know...Your only scope is  to neg ME ...No matter what I post.....Another clear evidence of the type of Individual you are....Please do take a minute and think of it

you need a better source of post fodder.

I will pray for you

i have heard you referred to as the "resident communist"

Keep your Prayer.

5 hours ago, pokerplayer said:

Hey negger, tag me for awhile as I really don't care. That way you can leave Umbertino alone.

Nope! i have read your posts Ma’am. you come across open minded, not single minded lefty liberal like the "resident commie".

all that is required for Evil/Umbertino to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1