Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A Vision for Iraq Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi World Economic Forum, Davos

ronscarpa

A Vision for Iraq Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi World Economic Forum, Davos

January 23 2015

I am honored to be here at the World Economic Forum. These meetings offer opportunities for leaders from government, business, academia and civil society to address our international challenges in an atmosphere of inclusiveness and trust.

In that spirit, I am pleased to be here today with so many of my friends and fellow leaders from neighboring nations. Since I became Prime Minister of Iraq in September, I have had the opportunity to meet with each of you, and now I appreciate this occasion to meet our counterparts from around the world.

In Iraq, armed conflict threatens our families, our communities and everything we hold dear. As recent events make clear, terrorism imperils all the peoples of the world, whatever our region or religion.

The Iraqi people are on the frontlines of the fight against the best-funded, best-equipped and best-organized terrorists on earth

Today, I have been asked to present “A Vision for Iraq.” My vision includes a coordinated military, political and economic strategy to defeat Daesh. And I also envision an international effort to rebuild Iraq and reconcile our region, so that, out of our own struggle and suffering, we can set an example for triumphing over terrorism with economic development and social inclusion.

For Iraq, this is the time to ask hard questions and make difficult decisions, not only to defeat Daesh but also to build a unified country, with a functioning democracy that upholds the rule of law, a streamlined government, decentralized decision-making, and a prosperous economy that offers opportunities for all our people.

As Prime Minister, I am pursuing a strategy of inter-dependence. Instead of state domination with government commanding the economy and Baghdad dominating the government, the public and private sectors – and the central government and the provinces – will work together in partnership.

For all our challenges, Iraq still brings great strengths to building our future. Our economic fundamentals are strong – one of the world’s largest reserves of oil, an educated population, and rapid growth before the onset of Daesh. Once our current security challenges are overcome, we will fulfill our potential as a business and investment partner.

Iraq is an ancient civilization but a young democracy. Since 2003, Iraq has had a succession of free elections. Last year, in the midst of extremist violence, we managed a peaceful political transition in which elected leaders stepped down to make way for new leadership.

Over little more than 100 days, our new government has begun to restructure and reform our armed forces, build better relations with the Kurdistan Region, work with local tribes to defeat Daesh, reform and decentralize the central government, advance social welfare and individual freedoms, and promote economic reform and development. We have strengthened relations with our neighbors and coordinated our counter-attack against Daesh with our Coalition allies.

Only six months ago Daesh was threatening Baghdad, and our future was uncertain. Today, with the support of our neighbors and a coalition of partners, the world has rallied to Iraq, Daesh’s momentum has been halted, and Iraqis are retaking our country.

Despite our economic challenges, the Iraqi people feel an extreme sense of urgency -- and the Government of Iraq feels an extreme sense of responsibility -- to liberate every inch of our territory and every segment of our citizenry from Daesh.

As I said yesterday at a security conference in London, when we ask the world community for more support or faster assistance, our determination does not reflect disappointment with the coalition of countries supporting Iraq but rather the reality that human lives are at stake and we must act as rapidly and as resolutely as we can.

I know that the Iraqi people who are now occupied by Daesh must take the lead in liberating themselves, and our government is doing our part to make this possible.

When our new government took office in September, we promised to pursue national reconciliation, military and governmental reform, economic and social reconstruction, and regional outreach. We are moving forward on every front.

We are also restoring relationships with the Sunni tribes that are based in areas now dominated by Daesh. I have met personally with representatives from the provinces of Anbar, Salahuddin and Mosul, reinforcing air support, increasing arms supplies, and providing for food deliveries. Now many of these tribes are fighting alongside – and not against – the Iraqi Security Forces.

We will never win on the battlefront if we are crippled by corruption on the home-front. We are fighting corruption and incompetence in civil and military institutions. We have removed about two dozen generals, as well as 24 senior officers of the Ministry of Interior.

Our government will spare no effort to ensure that there will be no more “ghost soldiers”on the payroll, no more corrupt commanding officers, no more battalions fleeing from the battlefields, and no more corrupt civilians enriching themselves while our soldiers sacrifice their lives and limbs.

In order to reinforce the rule of law and protect personal freedoms, I have issued an executive order to speed up the release of detainees who have not been charged and established a central registry of those who have been incarcerated. I have met with Iraqi journalists and dropped all pending lawsuits against journalists on behalf of the Prime Minister’s Office.

And, because our national defense must build up respect for the rule of law, we are bringing all armed groups under state control.

When much of our army collapsed last summer, tens of thousands of volunteers rose to defend their country. Most have fought heroically against Daesh -- and many have sacrificed their lives. Some, however, have committed abuses against Iraqi citizens, and I have made clear that this is not tolerated.

In recent weeks, we have detained kidnapping rings, and other criminal networks operating under the guise of volunteer forces. These efforts will continue. The National Guard law will also offer an appropriate legal framework for the brave volunteers to continue to defend our country.

The Iraqi people and their government are doing our part on the battlefield and on the home-front. But we cannot and must not meet our challenges alone.

We need the international Coalition to provide more armaments, conduct more airstrikes and continue training our forces. We need our neighbors and allies to help stopping the flow of foreign fighters into Iraq. And we need the international community, through its financial institutions, to freeze the funding of Daesh.

While battling terrorism, our government is also striving to stabilize our society by diversifying our economy, decentralizing decision-making, controlling public spending, combating corruption, encouraging foreign investment and restoring our infrastructure.

With our reliance on oil revenues for 85 percent of our budget and the plunge in oil prices, our government has had to take a new look at our fiscal policies and our economic prospects.

First, we have been forced to turn to new sources of revenue, including taxes. We are re-emphasizing the need for customers to pay for basic services such as electricity, water and roads through our respective ministries.

Second, we have also had to explore alternative industries to grow the economy, build businesses, generate jobs and raise revenues. Once we were one of the most diversified economies in OPEC, and we will build a diverse economy again. That is why we are investing in agriculture, petrochemicals and other industries.

Third, our government has had to become more efficient. Our government has tried to cut our budget through spending reductions and economic reforms.

Leading by example, in December, our Council of Ministers agreed to slash its salaries by 50 percent.

With 3.9 million government employees over 2 million state pensioners, we have to cut back. For that reason, we are revising our pension system, so that it can support our retirees while being sustainable for our government.

Fourth, we are fighting fraud and corruption not only in the military but in the civil government. When our brave fighters are sacrificing their lives, the least we can ask is that those who have profited at public expense give up their ill-gotten gains.

Fifth, we are decentralizing government, bringing decision-making and the provision of public services to the local level, where the people and their public officials best understand what must be done and how to do it.

By making government leaner, nimbler and more muscular, we are encouraging economic growth, job creation and foreign investment.

With more than a half a million high school and university graduates entering the job market every year – and unemployment already at 11 percent among the entire population and 18 percent among young people – we have to grow our economy and generate jobs.

This means encouraging foreign and domestic investment, expanding and creating large and small businesses, and ensuring that government supports, not stifles, the private economy.

We are moving from a state-dominated system to a more vibrant mixed economy. We are privatizing key sectors, exploring public-private partnerships, and entering more joint ventures with international companies.

Major oil companies, manufacturers, and banks are now investing in Iraq and expanding their operations in our country. Despite the security situation, our Gross Domestic Product is still growing, our productivity is still increasing, and our international trade is still expanding and will continue to improve as relations are normalized with all our neighbors.

But, first, after we defeat Daesh, we must rebuild the territories that we will liberate from the terrorists and relieve the suffering of the civilian populations who have been held hostage by these barbarians. We have developed what we call a “whole of government” strategy to restore the infrastructure and repair the social fabric. In this great endeavor, we will need help from our region and the international community.

While cutting our overall budget, our government has set aside 500 billion dinars – about 440 million dollars – to rebuild the devastation caused by Daesh’s destructive violence. But, with oil revenues plunging, two million internally displaced persons, and the costs of fighting the most formidable terrorists on Earth, we cannot pay the price alone.

I have proposed an internationally financed Reconstruction Fund to rebuild Iraq and serve as a model for assisting our neighbors who are also shouldering the human and economic costs of civil war, terrorist attacks, and the displacement of millions of men, women and children. We have had useful meetings with our friends and neighbors in the Gulf States and with the World Bank. And we are asking our Coalition allies and the international business and financial community to help.

Therefore, I propose an ongoing conversation among the governmental, religious, economic and civil society leaders in the Middle East to forge a common vision and course of action. This conversation can begin with a conference. And I suggest Baghdad because this city represents so much of our region’s history and our hopes.

From resisting Daesh to rebuilding Iraq and reconciling our region, the costs of action will be high. But the costs of inaction will be infinitely higher.

Iraq is doing our part in the struggle against violent extremism. For the sake of the world we love and the future we share, we ask all of the international community to do the same.

Thank you all for everything we will do together.

http://pmo.iq/pme/press2015en/23-1-20154en.htm

• Upvote 6

Abadi and founder of the Davos forum discussing ways to enter international companies to invest in Iraq

PM Abadi in talking with the founder of the economic summit is telling him, look Iraq is a wealth country when you look at our resources....but yet we enter a financial crisis today....not the same as the alleged currency wars going on....but a crisis none the less.....

We need some heavy hitter types of investors that know their business and can come in and help turn things around for the Iraqis.....promising an Iraqi oil power house in the coming future.....if we can right our financial situation we have the capability of helping many other world nations in the process with what is planned.

PM Abadi has been speaking on the sidelines, which does not surprise me at all, so much goes on away from the speaker's podium in these meetings.....he's telling others about the Iraqi concerns with oil prices falling, the current state of their economy, and their security situations.....I can't help be wonder what else he might be talking about maybe in even tighter circles as he mingles in various places during the economic summit.

Aggiedad77 Personal Comments...1/23/2015

• Upvote 3

if we can right our financial situation we have the capability of helping many other world nations in the process with what is planned...that's right!

Wish we could clone him and replace Obama with his man. He has character!

if we can right our financial situation we have the capability of helping many other world nations in the process with what is planned...that's right!

Agreed! I like him. Abadi that is. He has done so much for Iraq. O'dummer can learn alot from him.

• Upvote 3

Abadi: Iraq has great economic powers and a solid foundation to build future

37-3301.jpg

1/24/2015 0:00 

In a speech at a forum «Davos» 

BAGHDAD - follow the morning 

I am honored to be here at the World Economic Forum, these meetings provide an opportunity for government leaders and heads of business, academia and civil society, to address international challenges that confront us in an atmosphere of inclusiveness and confidence. In this sense, I am pleased to be today among a large number of friends and heads of neighboring countries, have I had the opportunity to meet with each and every one of the attendees has since become the Prime Minister of Iraq in September, and today I am the most valuable this occasion because it brings us together top class from around the world. 

dispute armed in Iraq, threatening our families and our communities and all dear to us, and I have recent events made ​​it clear that terrorism threatens all peoples of the world, does not exclude the area or have. 

The Iraqi people and the reality on the front lines of a battle in the face of wider terrorist financing and later armed and fiercest organized on the face of the earth. 

We have I was asked today to provide «vision for Iraq», and my vision includes a military and political strategy, economic and coordinated to defeat Daash, as I expect an international effort to rebuild Iraq and to settle disputes in our region, so that we are role models in the victory over terrorism to achieve economic development and social integration, on the basis of our struggle and suffering. For Iraq, it is time to ask the hard questions and make critical decisions, not only to defeat Daash, but to build a unified country, a functioning democracy, respect for the rule of law, and the government of inefficient allow for decisions to decentralize, and a thriving economy provides opportunities for all the people. 

As a prime minister, followed strategic interdependence, rather than the dominance of state control of the government on the economy and the dominance of the Baghdad government to local governments, public and private sectors will enter with the central government and provincial governments in partnership. 

Despite all the challenges that we face, still Iraq possesses great powers to build the future, economic Vossna sober , As have the second largest oil reserves in the world, and we have educated people, and our country was growing rapidly before the advent of Daash, once overcome the current security problems, will take advantage of our potential as a partner in the business and investment in full. 

civilization of Iraq older but democracy young, have taken place in Iraq since the In 2003, a series of free elections, most recently in the last year, in the midst of violence by extremists, we have achieved a peaceful political transition in which the elected leaders stepped down to make way for Aljdidh.aly leadership over more than a hundred days, the new government began restructuring and reform of the armed forces, and building better relations with the Kurdistan region, and cooperation with the tribes to defeat Daash and repair of the central government and decentralization, and improving social welfare and individual freedoms, and promote economic reform and promote development. As we have strengthened relations with neighboring countries and we have coordinated counter-attack on Daash with our allies in the coalition. 

Just six months ago, was Daash threaten Baghdad was our fate uncertain, but today, thanks to your support, HP world to the rescue of Iraq, and stop the momentum Daash Iraqis regained control of their country. 

Despite the economic our challenges, the people of Iraq to find an urgent necessity, as the government of Iraq is a serious responsibility, in the liberation of every inch of our territory and every segment of Iraqi society from Daash. 

As I said at a security conference in London yesterday, when we ask the international community more support or expedite assistance, does not mean our disappointment countries of the coalition that supports Iraq, but reveals the fact that human life is at stake, and we should act with all our speed and packages. 

I know that the citizens who occupies areas Daash now, should take the lead in the liberation of their areas, and our government is doing its part to achieve this goal. 

When our government began its duties in the month of September, we have come a promise of achieving national reconciliation and achieve reforms in the army and the government, and bring economic and social reconstruction and communication with the countries of the region, and we are moving forward on all fronts. 

We are cherishing relations with Sunni tribes living in areas controlled by Daash, and I have met personally with representatives from the provinces of Anbar and Salah al-Din and Mosul, and I'm working on strengthening air support and increase the military equipment and the provision of food aid, many of these forces are fighting with us and not against the Iraqi security forces. 

will not make victory on the battlefield that we were shackled by corruption in the domestic front, we are fighting corruption and inefficiency in the civil and military institutions, as Oqlna 24 and 24 high-ranking officer in the Ministry of the Interior military commander. 

will not spare our government's effort to eliminate the phenomenon of «aliens soldiers» in the list of salaries, there will not be corrupt leaders anymore, nor military battalions evade battlefields and civil servants are corrupt Jethro at the expense of the sacrifices soldiers their lives and their bodies. 

we issued, and in order to strengthen the rule of law and the protection of personal freedoms, is Dioanaa to accelerate the release of detainees who have not charged, and ordered the establishment of a central registry for those imprisoned, I have met with Iraqi journalists and dropped all pending litigation against them on behalf of the Prime Minister's Office. 

In order to enshrine the notion of respect for the rule of law in the national defense forces, we have been keen that all armed groups under the control of the state. 

While a large portion of our army collapsed last summer, HP tens of thousands of volunteers to defend their homeland, where he fought most valiantly against Daash and others sacrificed their lives, but some of them committed violations against Iraqi citizens have shown clearly that this behavior is totally unacceptable. We have in recent weeks arrested kidnap gangs and criminal networks which operate under the volunteers cover, and we will continue these efforts, will also provide the National Guard law legal framework for volunteers brave to defend Bdahm.an the Iraqi people and government are making efforts to level the battlefield and on the home front, but we will not be able It should not have to face these challenges Bmfirdna.nanaj of the international coalition to provide more weapons and directing more air strikes and continue to train our forces, and we need from our neighbors and allies to help stop the flow of foreign fighters into Iraq, with the need for the international community, through financial institutions, freeze funding Daash. 

While fighting our government terrorism, they are also struggling to stabilize our society through the diversification of the economy and the reduction of centralized decision and reduce public expenditure and the fight against corruption and encourage foreign investment and the restoration of infrastructure. 

In light of our dependence on oil revenues, which make up 85% of the budget and falling oil prices, it should be for our government to reconsider its policy on financial and economic plans. First, we had to find new sources of financial revenues, including the imposition of taxes, also emphasize the need for the consumer to pay the wages of key services such as electricity, water and roads through the ministries concerned. 

Secondly, we should look for alternative industries for the development of economy and trade, and create jobs and increase revenue, has been previously one of the most diversified economies in OPEC and we will work to build a diversified economy again, so we are investing in the field of agriculture, petrochemical and other industries. 

Third, it was our government to be more efficient, so we tried to budget cuts worth 30 trillion dinars ( Nearly $ 26 billion) by reducing expenditure and economic reforms. 

For example, in the month of December and the Cabinet approved the reduction of salaries by 50% .bujod 3.9 million government employees, and more than 2 million retired, we will need to further reductions. That's why we are working on a review of the pension system supports an Levy retired and be appropriate for the government at the same time. Fourth: We are fighting fraud and corruption not only in the military institutions, but in the civilian side of the government, too, when the sacrifice our fighters brave lives, the least we should do is to prosecute those who took advantage of public money illegally. 

Fifth: We are working on the central government to reduce to enable local authorities to make decisions relating to the provision of services where their officials in those areas to be citizens more aware of what to do and how to accomplish. 

by ​​reducing government Trchigaha and strengthened, we encourage economic growth and foreign investment and job creation. 

enter more than half a million secondary graduate of the University of to each year of the labor market, and the existence and reality of unemployment up to 11% of the total population, and 18% among young people, we must develop the economy and create jobs. 

Abadi from Davos: Economic development capable of eradicating terrorism

39-3301.jpg

1/24/2015 0:00 

I agree with Cameron and Kerry to increase the support of the international coalition's efforts face {Daash} 

BAGHDAD - morning 

counting the Prime Minister, Dr. Haider al-Abadi, during a meeting with the founder of the World Economic "Davos" Forum on Friday, said the process "to proceed with the development of the national economy, is the sponsor Elimination terrorism, "stressing at the same time, the need to" redouble efforts to attract global investment firms to Iraq. " 

The preceding post-Abadi, in the "Davos" Economic Conference, discussed during a meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameron, US Secretary of State John Kerry on the sidelines Miniature meeting of the States and the international coalition, which was held on Thursday in London, with the participation of 21 countries "ways to intensify international support for Iraq in order to eliminate Daash." 

attract investments 

and took advantage of al-Abadi, his participation in the Davos Forum, an invitation which urged major international companies to exploit investment opportunities in Iraq and participate in the construction and reconstruction campaigns. 

Ebadi said, during a meeting with the founder of the World Economic Forum and Executive Chairman: "Iraq is rich in wealth but now lives a financial crisis as a result of lower oil prices," while emphasizing the importance of moving forward with the development of the national economy, which he considered the prime minister " a key factor for the elimination of terrorism. " 

The two sides discussed, according to a statement issued by the Prime Minister's Office, and received a "morning," a copy of it, "the economic situation in Iraq and the world, as well as the security challenges facing the country, extremist and terrorism faced by Iraq."

tackle extremism 

as Abadi participated in the discussion session interactive leaders economy world, which was held on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, titled "Tackling extremism." 

The prime minister, during the meeting, a detailed explanation of extremism and danger to the world, He said, "Terrorism has become a threat to the entire world and threatens citizens, and that the recent events in a number of countries, to substantiate our words. "

He touched the Prime Minister in his speech to the economic situation in Iraq and influenced by a decline in oil prices in the world. 

In addition, discussed the Prime Minister, during a meeting with the Executive Director of the organization Human Rights Watch, Ken Roth, on the sidelines of the forum, reports concerning the monitoring of human rights in Iraq. 

Quoting a statement from the Prime Minister's Office, the Roth, the price of "the efforts of al-Abadi, in the activation of measures related to the prevention of the abuse on the rights of citizens." 

The two sides agreed, according to The statement, on the need for a reflection of the positive developments on the periodic reports issued by the organization on human rights and the need for accuracy and objectivity. 

the face of terrorism 

and pre-post-Abadi in the "Davos" World Economic Forum in Switzerland, attending a mini-meeting of the countries of the international coalition to fight terrorism, which was held in London on Thursday the past, with the participation of 21 Dolh.waltqy Prime Minister, on the sidelines of the meeting in London, British Prime Minister, David Cameron, and it was agreed, according to a statement to the Office of al-Abadi, the importance of "strengthening bilateral relations between the two countries, and intensify efforts to fight Daash, as well as training and equip Iraqi security forces. " 

Abadi urged during the meeting, the importance of the international community to provide further support for Iraq in its war against "Daash" gangs Alarhabiyh.waodh statement, the two sides, in search of many issues of common interest between the two countries, the political and security situation in the Iraq and the region, as well as discussed the economic side, what Iraq is going through financial conditions due to low oil prices Aalmia.ocd statement, said Cameron, promised more support for Iraq in various fields. 

breadth of international support 

in the meantime, the prime contract, after the end of Miniature meeting, a joint press conference with Foreign America ministers John Kerry, and Britain Philip Hamond.ozkr Abadi, that Iraq has lost 40 percent of its economy due to lower global oil prices, stressing that participate in the meeting of State and put a program to stand by Iraq, noting that despite the Iraq is not a poor, and we hope that this crisis will be a reason to halt international military support for the country. 

He expressed the Prime Minister, His Excellency "pauses international alliance with Iraq and his commitment to the fight against Daash," adding that the meeting discussed "issues that are an obstacle to eliminate the terrorist Daash" He pointed to "make Iraqi forces significant progress, which is continuous in fighter Daash." 

Ebadi said, "Let the international coalition countries to postpone the claim payment of financial dues for decades arming We have seen assurances in response to this aspect," revealing at the same time "recognizes Iraq large shipments of weapons from the United States, and the contribution of the European Union countries. " 

The Prime Minister emphasized "the importance of continued support for Iraq in its war against terrorism in the side of arming and training", adding that "the international coalition has stepped up raids in the past few days and has achieved important goals and pledged to provide more military aid . " 

He pointed out that "the city of Mosul, is in a miserable, which requires providing more intelligence support in the area of training." 

For his part, said US Secretary of State, John Kerry, during the conference, for enabling the international coalition led his country from the elimination of about 50 percent leaders of the "Daash" and the restoration of oil resources that were in the hands of those bands, as pointed out that the goal of the international campaign against "Daash" is the editor-controlled areas. 

Kerry said that "all members of the international coalition reconfirmed during the meeting to commit to success in the battle against Daash because they know the importance of this success. " 

He said US Secretary of State, that "Daash retreat in Iraq and taking the position defensively and our data indicate a lack of funding and reflected even to pay the fighters' salaries", stressing at the same time, "the continuation of his country's support for Iraq and the training of troops." 

He said Kerry "states sixty international coalition will meet later in the US State Department to unify the work and efforts effectively," noting the determination of the international coalition "to establish a team of experts to share their experiences in order to eliminate" Daash "in terms of people and resources." 

training 12 brigades Iraqi 

The Minister's Foreign US that "the organization Daash not a problem Syria and Iraq alone, but is a global problem and requires efforts and international coordinated response and the organization," he said: "We are working to train 12 Iraqi brigade as part of building up Iraqi security capabilities for Iraq to defend himself." Kerry said that "the international coalition and through raids on Daash sites and with the help of our partners on the ground in Iraq, we were able to recover more than 700 square kilometers of the control of the terrorists, and we count on the Iraqis to make further progress." 

He continued, "we still have to provide more support for Iraq We do not focus on the elimination of Daash and liberate the occupied only, but we help the victims of Daash also reiterated his country's support "for the government of al-Abadi in achieving political stability in Iraq and the imposition of security." 

stem the flow of terrorists, 

for his part, said British Foreign Secretary, Philip Hammond, during a joint press conference , that "al-Abadi told us that there is progress in Iraq, reiterated his government's support for Iraq's efforts in eliminating Daash. 

He Hammond said that "the international coalition is working with Turkey to reduce the problem of the flow of terrorists to Syria, we will strengthen capacity through legislation laws to eliminate terrorists Europeans, as well as dry up the sources of funding for terrorists ", stressing the British Foreign Secretary" retreat center Daash flight international coalition strikes. "

• Upvote 1