Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Are Christians really supposed to tithe?

sheltagar

Yes, we are to be a judge of the fruits that are manifested by others and if they are producing "bad fruit" then we are not to "eat" of that fruit.

No, we are not! You have the right to do and think as you wish, although this way of independent thinking from Gods word is how false religious teachings and practices have spread to fill the earth in abundance today. “For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light. It is therefore nothing extraordinary if his ministers also keep disguising themselves as ministers of righteousness. But their end will be according to their works.” (2Cor 11:13-15)

True Christians use their bibles to be a judge, of fruits that are manifested by others, to determine whether or not the fruits they are manifesting are fine or rotten, true or false. ‘Others’ to which you are referring, are false (rotten) religious teachers their beliefs and practices. “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? Likewise, every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit. A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, nor can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. Every tree not producing fine fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men." (Mat 7:15-20)

FALSE BELIEFS “QUITE BEYOND NUMBERING”

The very fact that clergymen admit privately and sometimes even publicly that many doctrines are implausible and false should make one want to check his beliefs with the Bible. Some years ago Dr. W. L. Pettingill of the First Baptist Church in New York city said: “Religious teaching that is dished out now is a curse and not a blessing. . . . Most of it is false religion which ignores the teachings of Christ. . . . Ninety-nine per cent of religion in this city should be scrapped because one cannot believe man and God at the same time.”—New York Times, October 10, 1949.

Another clergyman, Dr. Daniel A. Poling, answered a question in the March, 1957, issue of the Christian Herald in the column “Doctor Poling Answers Your Questions.” To a questioner who had heard that there were at least eighty false doctrines in popular religion this clergyman writes: “As to false doctrines there may be 80 or there may be a thousand. I am sure they are quite beyond numbering, but since you know the Lord and have been within His grace all these years, surely you have the witness in your heart day by day. You have everything that is required for your peace of mind now and for your eternal salvation.”

But does God talk this way? Does his holy Word, the Bible, whitewash false doctrines, dismiss them as something trivial, as if the Christian is under no responsibility to know whether or not he is believing truth or error? What are we to think of a Christianity with false beliefs “quite beyond numbering”? Said Jesus Christ: “There is not a fine tree producing rotten fruit.” False beliefs are rotten fruit that identify religious organizations according to the rule stated by Jesus: “Each tree is known by its own fruit.”—Luke 6:43, 44

Instead of saying that beliefs do not matter, God’s Word declares: “Keep testing whether you are in the faith, keep proving what you yourselves are.” (2 Cor. 13:5) There is nothing to fear by making this test, by proving our beliefs by the only standard for judging religious teachings—the Holy Bible. Indeed, we should fear not to make this test. Christians must not be man-pleasers but God-pleasers.

Using the Scriptures to test doctrines is the course commended in the Bible. When Paul and Silas went to Beroea, they preached to the Jews. How did these Jews respond to this Christian preaching? They “were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest readiness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.” (Acts 17:11) The Beroeans were not being fanatical or unreasonable. They did not rely on the word of man alone. The Beroeans made sure of all things. How? By “carefully examining the Scriptures.” This is the way Christians should test religious beliefs.

Why dont pastors live by faith, like apostles, prophets and evangelists have too?

Why don't Christians follow the Holy word of God?

How can you all say such things about tithing and not understand the simple

English of the prophet Maliki?

"But in the last days, they will heap to themselves preachers having itchy ears".

Forget what you WANT TO HEAR, and hear what God is saying.

"But in the last days, they will heap to themselves preachers having itchy ears".

Forget what you WANT TO HEAR, and hear what God is sayin

absolutely LGD

Why dont pastors live by faith, like apostles, prophets and evangelists have too?

who says that they don't aside from the obvious  abusers..which pastors also have you identified as devouring widows houses.....you cannot broad brush all pastors in order to support your position... and what apostles, prophets and evangelists are you supporting btw

I didn't bother to read any of the previous posts.

To require all arguments to be in the form of the Kings James Version is ludicrous.

William Tyndale died because he wanted to make the Bible readable by the average, literate citizen. Eventually, King James authorized an English Translation some 400 years ago. Does anybody understand or use the arcane language in which it was written? Does that make that translation readable or understandable in Italian or French? Does that make modern translations that are understandable by the average, literate citizen in the 21st century less valuable?

You might as well require that all arguments be in Attic Greek or Aramaic, as these were the languages the scriptures were first written in. Use Hebrew if you want to argue the Old Testament; the Septuagint is a translation. John Mark, among others, found that he had to translate certain Aramaic words for his reading audience in what is, by many, considered to be the oldest written gospel. Even the dead language of Latin is a "translation" from the original.

Does God not speak to individuals and tell them what He expects? While my relationship with the Lord started (and continues) by studying the Word, it has certainly progressed past that. I speak with the Lord and He speaks with me. Period.

I have been relieved of the "duty" of tithing, I now give with a glad heart.

But all arguments "must be made in KJV." Apparently the Word doesn't live in the 21st Century for you - it's still in the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

Thou shouldn'tst tie thine own hands and heart like that.

• Upvote 3

Good post 429, and well said.  

Many individuals who have their human doctrines based on the KJV translation of the Bible will take exception to what you have written.  Some of the contributors to biblical and religions topic on DV will not use any other translation thinking that only the KJV is the word of God.  Even the modern KJV is translation of the 1611 version.  If we had the 1611 version being printed today, few people would be able to read it because of the words and alphabetic style of the the day.  Even the pdf version of the 1611 version being offered for download from the "promoters" of the KJV only, have altered the English text to conform to modern usage.  Even they understand that a translation needed to be done.  Amusing. 

• Upvote 1

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

We can't pick and choose what scripture we will follow and what scriptures make us too uncomfortable and therefore ignore. God's Holy Word is complete and the answers to ALL of lifes questions/problems can be found in it.

The work of God is expensive and of course there are some who are wolves in the midst of the sheep.

When God began to deal with me about tithing, I prayed about it a great deal. My concern was that I wanted my money to be used for good and not to line some preachers bank account or fund his vile behavior etc...

I got a revelation from my prayer which is that my duty as a follower of Christ, is to give a tenth into the church coffers as well a tenth of my time in prayer/working for the Lord. Whatever my Pastor does with my finances is between him and God. I also give an offering of around 5%. This is my free will offering unto the Lord.

As long as my Pastor stays in the Book, I'm good.

I feel that God blessed me with my job so that I could support the work of his Kingdom. Everything belongs to God, and he is only asking that we give a tenth back to him for his work.

• Upvote 2

I apologize, for I was not taking into consideration cultural boundaries, perhaps I misunderstood your searching for answers as pointing fingers at or judging others. I’m sorry for having caused any pain.

Your questions of christmas and tithing are valid, also important for true Christians to know the facts so not to fallow in misleading traditions of men.

If you know you are being blessed by are Creator don’t ever let anyone take that away from you, your relationship between You and God, is just that between you and him only, each and every one of us are solely responsible to make that personal relationship with our heavenly Father.                   

They do as they are taught, although this is not what the bible teaches, but the same traditions and false beliefs of men, although now lettered and ordained as ministers, for their ministerial training they are awarded a letter (diploma) to display on the wall insuring a felling of importance.         

"But you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers. Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ." (Matt 23:8-10)

Pastors: a person having spiritual care of a number of persons.

The world system is not set up in a way in which you ask, as your pastor may genially be a good man and believes he is fallowing Jesus’ teachings, but his teachings unknown to him are filled with falsehood.   

The apostles were taught by Jesus and these same teachings are recorded for us in God’s word. The Jewish rulers perceived that Peter and John were unlettered and ordinary. (Ac 4:13) But this did not mean that they could not read and write, as the letters written by these apostles testify that they could. They were, however, not educated in the higher learning of the Hebrew schools, at the feet of the scribes. For similar reasons the Jews were astonished that Jesus had knowledge, although, as they said, “he has not studied at the schools.” (Joh 7:15) Jesus’ Followers are no part of the world.

The churches say that practices such as venerating the cross are part of “sacred tradition.” But when tradition conflicts with God’s Word, those who love God reject the tradition. What we really need for true worship is already included in God’s Word. As Paul wrote Timothy: “From infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through the faith in connection with Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:15-17) Nowhere does the Bible say that traditions that contradict God’s Word are indispensable for salvation.

The conflict between the Scriptures and human tradition is not new. During the period from the completing of the inspired Hebrew Scriptures to the coming of Jesus, the Jewish religious leaders added many oral traditions, which they later committed to writing that was not inspired by God. Those traditions often conflicted with the Scriptures. So Jesus told the religious leaders: “Why is it you also overstep the commandment of God because of your tradition? . . . You have made the word of God invalid because of your tradition.” He applied God’s Word to them when it said: “It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.” (Matthew 15:1-6, 9) In his teachings, Jesus never quoted from such traditions. His appeal was to the inspired written Word of God.—Matthew 4:4-10; Mark 12:10; Luke 10:26.

God did not leave the preservation of “the word of life” in the insecure hands of religious traditionalists. (Philippians 2:16) Instead, by his powerful holy spirit, he inspired the writing of the Bible so that “through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope.” (Romans 15:4) To say that the Bible is incomplete and that we need to rely also on the unstable thinking of imperfect, uninspired men is to deny the power of God. Surely, the almighty, awesome Creator of the universe could author a book! And he did this so that we could have a solid anchor for our hope and not have to depend on human traditions that lead people to violate God’s commandments. Hence, God’s Word says: “Do not go beyond the things that are written.” (1 Corinthians 4:6) Those who truly love God will observe that counsel.

“Observe His Commandments”

“This is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments,” states 1 John 5:3. When religious leaders water down those commandments, or ignore them, or substitute conflicting traditions of men, then they lead their followers contrary to God’s will. As an example, consider a fundamental principle of Christianity: love. It was a vital part of Jesus’ teaching. He said: “You must love your neighbor as yourself.”—Matthew 22:39.

How important is this neighbor love? Jesus taught that true Christians can be identified by the love they have among themselves. He said: “I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:34, 35) True, the Law to ancient Israel included a commandment to “love your fellow as yourself.” (Leviticus 19:18) But what was new about Jesus’ command was his expression, “just as I have loved you.” This gave greater power to Christian love, for a Christian must even be willing to lay down his life for fellow believers, just as Jesus did.

Christendom’s religions have regularly broken God’s commandments regarding love. In all the wars of this century, the clergy of Christendom’s churches have led their people to meet on opposing sides of battlefields and to slaughter one another by the millions. Protestants killed fellow Protestants, Catholics killed fellow Catholics, yet all claimed to be Christian. But God’s Word declares: “If anyone makes the statement: ‘I love God,’ and yet is hating his brother, he is a liar. For he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot be loving God, whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him, that the one who loves God should be loving his brother also.”—1 John 4:20, 21.

God’s Word also says: “The children of God and the children of the Devil are evident by this fact: Everyone who does not carry on righteousness does not originate with God, neither does he who does not love his brother. . . . We should have love for one another; not like Cain, who originated with the wicked one and slaughtered his brother.” (1 John 3:10-12) The churches of Christendom claim to be children of God, but they cannot be, for they grossly disobey God’s commandments on love and ‘slaughter their brother.’ They can only be children of “the wicked one.” Hence, God’s Word urges sincere ones in such religions: “Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.” (Revelation 18:4) Soon God will execute his judgments against all false religions. Those who cling to them will suffer their fate. (Revelation 17:16) On the other hand, “he that does the will of God remains forever.”—1 John 2:17.

“If you keep seeking for it as for silver, And you keep searching for it as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of Jehovah, And you will find the knowledge of God. For Jehovah himself gives wisdom; From his mouth come knowledge and discernment.”(Pro 2:4-6)

'Honest heartily' keep partitioning the true God for direction, 'you' must recognize it when it comes.

• Upvote 1

Forget what you WANT TO HEAR, and hear what God is saying.

Who is maliki?

Is that the pagan catholic version?

Simmer down, brother. Spell check corrected MALACHI.

You would be wise to use your mouth less and your ears more. Your combative, degrading, offensive way of allegedly seeking Scriptural Truth doesn't reveal a man who actually wants to know something. You present as a bitter axe-wielder who wants to prove some point, which is frankly incorrect in the first place. You'd be surprised how your religiousness is actually not winning your points - whatever they are- any supporters.

For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

Am I therefore become YOUR enemy, because I tell YOU the truth?

Edited by Deborah Layne
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Spare the rod and spoil the child. JS. Sometimes the most precious, godly, enlightened, beautiful expressions of revealed Truth fall short of penetrating an ear that's clogged with religious pride. I surely don't mean to offend anyone by employing some discipline. If my son had spoken so rudely, I'd have responded just the same. If a proud, divisive spirit is given free reign with zero consequence, it'll never loosen its hold.

IMO

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Spare the rod and spoil the child. JS. Sometimes the most precious, godly, enlightened, beautiful expressions of revealed Truth fall short of penetrating an ear that's clogged with religious pride. I surely don't mean to offend anyone by employing some discipline. If my son had spoken so rudely, I'd have responded just the same. If a proud, divisive spirit is given free reign with zero consequence, it'll never loosen its hold.

IMO

NLT version please. ::lol:

• Upvote 2

Simmer down, brother. Spell check corrected MALACHI.

You would be wise to use your mouth less and your ears more. Your combative, degrading, offensive way of allegedly seeking Scriptural Truth doesn't reveal a man who actually wants to know something. You present as a bitter axe-wielder who wants to prove some point, which is frankly incorrect in the first place. You'd be surprised how your religiousness is actually not winning your points - whatever they are- any supporters.

For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

Am I therefore become YOUR enemy, because I tell YOU the truth?

Thanks hun. I post mostly from my, "smart phone", though it isn't that smart I guess. LOL

And yes I was referring to the last prophet of the old testament.

Also, allow me to quote my favorite author,

"I feel sorry for any man that can only think of one way to spell a word"

Mark Twain.

• Upvote 2

Thanks hun. I post mostly from my, "smart phone", though it isn't that smart I guess. LOL

And yes I was referring to the last prophet of the old testament.

Also, allow me to quote my favorite author,

"I feel sorry for any man that can only think of one way to spell a word"

Mark Twain.

Eye lyik sum of the saings buy Twain.  

I just finished reading this entire thread from start to finish - I want to thank all who participated in sharing their knowledge and perspective - It was a very interesting read for sure --  

Tithing as well as some other areas are very delicate topics and takes a strength of such to embark on discussions --  

I read an unusual news article this morning -- almost posted it -- A pastor  (forgot how many yrs) who for the past year has lived without God  ?? has decided that he no longer believes in God -- He has documented the past year and plans to write a book -- I could not help but read the article -- I really want to read more to know how he could make such a drastic change --  

I have always been very curious why people "believe" this or that -- mostly in regards to the Bible & religions -- and HOW they came to believe what they believe -- as in do they believe  because their parents believed or did they come to that decision based on their own reading / research - experiences  etc  -- My analytic mind is always at work .... and my heart is doing the listening ... UNEEK

Here is the link if any one is interested:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/04/ryan-bell-atheist_n_6397336.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

I just finished reading this entire thread from start to finish - I want to thank all who participated in sharing their knowledge and perspective - It was a very interesting read for sure --  

Tithing as well as some other areas are very delicate topics and takes a strength of such to embark on discussions --  

I read an unusual news article this morning -- almost posted it -- A pastor  (forgot how many yrs) who for the past year has lived without God  ?? has decided that he no longer believes in God -- He has documented the past year and plans to write a book -- I could not help but read the article -- I really want to read more to know how he could make such a drastic change --  

I have always been very curious why people "believe" this or that -- mostly in regards to the Bible & religions -- and HOW they came to believe what they believe -- as in do they believe  because their parents believed or did they come to that decision based on their own reading / research - experiences  etc  -- My analytic mind is always at work .... and my heart is doing the listening ... UNEEK

Here is the link if any one is interested:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/04/ryan-bell-atheist_n_6397336.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000

so very sad UNEEK...when I graduated from college I was a borderline agnostic...BUT when GOD touched my life I have never looked back...my statement re: such things is:

"the man with an experience with GOD is never at the mercy of the man with a theology or lack thereof".....

the film " GOD IS NOT DEAD"  is a good antidote to faithlessness

The immoral lifestyle of any minister/preacher/biblical scholar is the chief motivator for rejecting God.  They simply do not want to be held accountable for sin.  One who rejects God FEELS that he will not be held accountable, for he believes there is no God.  

It is the case for this "rejector."  Read his own statements at the website presented.