Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

2nd Ebola Infection in Texas with potential 137 exposed

Rayzur

Fears of the Ebola virus deepened Wednesday with word that a second Dallas nurse caught the disease from a patient and flew across the Midwest aboard an airliner the day before she was diagnosed. President Barack Obama canceled a campaign trip to address the outbreak.

It's not clear how the nurse contracted the virus, though the second case among health workers pointed to lapses beyond how one individual may have donned and removed protective garb.

Authorities declined to say what type of care the nurse provided to Thomas Eric Duncan, who was diagnosed with Ebola after coming to the U.S. from Liberia. He died Oct. 8.

Infected Ebola patients are not considered contagious until they have symptoms. The airplane crew said the woman had no symptoms during Frontier Airlines Flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas-Fort Worth on Monday. She flew from Dallas to Cleveland on Oct. 10.

The CDC said it is alerting the 132 passengers who were on the return flight "because of the proximity in time between the evening flight and first report of illness the following morning." Officials are asking them to call the health agency so they can be monitored.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the additional infection is "a serious concern."

"What happened there (in Dallas), regardless of the reason, is not acceptable. It shouldn't have happened," Anthony Fauci, director of the Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of NIH, said Wednesday on MSNBC.

The nurse was monitoring herself for symptoms, Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said. She reported a fever Tuesday and was in isolation within 90 minutes, Jenkins said.

"We are looking at every element of our personal protection equipment and infection control in the hospital," said Dr. Daniel Varga, chief clinical officer for Texas Health Resources, which operates Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas.

Dr. Tom Frieden, head of the CDC, has acknowledged that the government was not aggressive enough in managing Ebola and containing the virus as it spread from an infected patient to a nurse at a Dallas hospital.

"We could've sent a more robust hospital infection control team and been more hands-on with the hospital from day one about exactly how this should be managed," he said Tuesday.

Both nurses were being cared for at the same hospital where they work. The second nurse was to be transported to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

The second case may help health officials determine where the infection-control breach is occurring and make practices safer for health workers everywhere. For example, if both health workers were involved in drawing Duncan's blood, placing an intravenous line or suctioning mucus when Duncan was on a breathing machine, that would be recognized as a particularly high-risk activity. It might also reveal which body fluids pose the greatest risk.

Emergency responders in hazardous-materials suits began decontamination work before dawn Wednesday at the Dallas apartment complex where the second nurse lives. Officials said she lives alone with no pets.

Notices handed out to neighbors advise that "a health care worker who lives in your area has tested positive for Ebola."

Ryan Fus, 24, who lives in the same building as the blocked-off apartment, said police knocked on his door before 6 a.m. to notify him and make sure he was all right.

"It's a little scary. It's a little shocking that it's right near me," he said.

Its interesting that all the news is talking about the passengers of the flight with no mention of the flight crew.... who in turn comes in contact with exponentially more people..... Surely.... hopefully... they can't have missed that detail.... right?

• Upvote 4

This self monitoring crap has to stop.  Place them and all those who've been in contact under lock and key until it's eradicated and let's get on with our lives.  Some people are too weak minded to "ground" themselves.  Flying around the country is so unbelievably irresponsible of a health care worker who should know better.  

GO RV, and NO BV

• Upvote 5

Rayzur,

You are right.. how about the crew.  Tell me if it's not airborne.  Right now.. they are focusing on the nurses and doctors at Dallas Presbyterian hospital but think of the passengers that flew with Duncan from Liberia to Brussels to Washington to Dallas.. everyone went different direction.  It depends on one's immune system and how much contact with Duncan.  

I say we lather ourselves with essential oils lol  I posted in Uneek's post about Ebola about mixing essential oils.  

• Upvote 1

"The airplane crew said the woman had no symptoms during Frontier Airlines Flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas-Fort Worth on Monday."

That should read "she had no obvious sypmtoms." I don't know about anyone else, but personally, if someone is working with and Ebola patient, I believe they need to be isolated for 21 days after their last contact with that patient.  Maybe it's just me - but that just seems to make common sense. 

Nadit - I know what you mean. Going about it a different way - but I'm working on boosting my immune system too. 

Up to 8 oz a day of my molecules - and got everyone in the house doing the same.  You just never know -

• Upvote 3

were screwed .

This was handled completely wrong right from the git go.

Those people have no business in a local hospital they need to ALL be quarantined in one of the 5 locations thats ran buy the

countries disease control centers.   

I remember back in the mid 70`s when africa was hit by this.

There was none of this nonsense going on then.

No one was allowed in or out of the 5 villages affected. . 

Armed properly garbed soldiers kept them in.

Doctors and volunteers worked to save as many as they could .

the rest they burned as fast as they could.

No one in no one out.

were playing with fire here.

If I were those texans I would riot.

It seems thats the only way you are heard now a days.

Get these people out of here and to a disease control center or I will burn down this freaking town. 

"The airplane crew said the woman had no symptoms during Frontier Airlines Flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas-Fort Worth on Monday."

That should read "she had no obvious sypmtoms." I don't know about anyone else, but personally, if someone is working with and Ebola patient, I believe they need to be isolated for 21 days after their last contact with that patient.  Maybe it's just me - but that just seems to make common sense. 

Nadit - I know what you mean. Going about it a different way - but I'm working on boosting my immune system too. 

Up to 8 oz a day of my molecules - and got everyone in the house doing the same.  You just never know -

Agree with you TD.. the workers should be quarantine or at least told not to go anywhere. 

• Upvote 2

I thought about your molecules TD... might be one of  the best things out there to deal with this... I'll go check your post Nadita.... building your immune system is probably the best hedge...

So... what do ya'll think about flying .... Thanksgiving is coming up... and of course I have tickets.... I so hate to be reactionary... really hate it.... Ya think anyone would notice if I wore a hazmat suit..... ..

• Upvote 4

So... what do ya'll think about flying .... Thanksgiving is coming up... and of course I have tickets.... I so hate to be reactionary... really hate it.... Ya think anyone would notice if I wore a hazmat suit..... ..

That brings up the question - yellow, white, blue or red?  I'm thinking White tyvek with hood, yellow gloves and booties with the black respirator/filter/faceshield.  Only problem I might have is some love sick albatross finding me attractive... :wub:  :lol:

That brings up the question - yellow, white, blue or red?  I'm thinking White tyvek with hood, yellow gloves and booties with the black respirator/filter/faceshield.  Only problem I might have is some love sick albatross finding me attractive... :wub:  :lol:

Then again - I might be able to check out a MOPP suit and NBC mask from supply - then request permission from my COL to fly in uniform (just don't tell him the uniform is MOPP 4!

• Upvote 3

Lets just continue to allow these folks from Africa into our country! :(

Why would you stay in Africa when all the folks are dieing & they do not have advanced medical care?

Jump on a plane and come to America where you just MIGHT survive! Of course, the drawback is that you are carrying ebola here with you!

:) There to hard to get off when you gotta crap 

Yes they are my friend *lol*...

Remember doing the MOPP Suit Exchange drills?  Wasn't that a bit of fun...and sleeping in MOPP 4  - Personal Decontamination using the Personnel Packets  (Use packet 2 first on the lenses, then packet 1 to ensure that there is no white powder residue left.) 

• Upvote 1

check this out .

I love the part at the bottom.

" Ebola poses no significant threat to the USA "

Bullshat

Bullshat

Bullshat

Cant get it through the air. Get sneezed on.  YOUR DEAD

Cant get it through eating. Eat off a infected fork or spoon  YOUR DEAD

cant get it through the water. Drink from a infected Glass   YOUR DEAD.

• Upvote 2

I like that the White House said "nothing to worry about". LOL

Possible loss of life, loss of work time or outrite losing your job, family, co-workers & friends put in insolation for weeks, decontamination of home & car! Then to top it all off - a minimum of half a million in medical bils!

Edited by gymrat76541
  • Upvote 1

You'd think CDC would have put out a tiny little memo to all those answering phones as to protocol........

The second Dallas nurse diagnosed with Ebola, who boarded a commercial flight from Cleveland the day before she was diagnosed, called the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with a slight fever but was told she could still fly, according to news reports.

Amber Joy Vinson was running a slight temperature of 99.5 degrees before boarding the Dallas-bound Frontier Airlines flight on Monday. She called the CDC to check whether she should fly, but an employee at the agency checked a temperature chart and determined that Vinson was still able to fly, both CBS DFW and CNN are reporting.

The 29-year-old Vinson contracted the deadly disease while caring for Liberian citizen Thomas Eric Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian hospital.

Nina Pham was the first nurse to contract Ebola after tending to Duncan, who died on Oct. 8.

It was unclear early Wednesday why Vinson made the flight. “She should not have been on that plane,” said CDC director Tom Frieden at a press conference.

“Although [Vinson] did not report any symptoms and she did not meet the fever threshold of 100.4, she did report at that time she took her temperature and found it to be 99.5,” Frieden added.

Friedan said that given the fact that Vinson was not expelling fluids, others on the flight are at an “extremely low” risk of contracting the disease. Nevertheless, the CDC is attempting to get in contact with the 132 other passengers on the flight.

“This nurse, Nurse Vinson, did in fact call the CDC several times before taking that flight and said she has a temperature, a fever of 99.5, and the person at the CDC looked at a chart and because her temperature wasn’t 100.4 or higher she didn’t officially fall into the category of high risk,” reported CBS News medical correspondent Dr. John LaPook.

According to CBS DFW, Vinson was in extremely close contact with Duncan while caring for him – drawing blood, handling body fluids and inserting catheters.

For nearly two days after Duncan first went to the hospital on Sept. 28, medical staff at Texas Health Presbyterian cared for Duncan as he vomited heavily and experienced diarrhea.

Vinson has been flown to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta where two other Ebola victims have received care.

Update: A federal health official told the New York Times that when Vinson called the CDC she was not given clear commands on whether or not to fly. “I don’t think we actually said she could fly, but they didn’t tell her she couldn’t fly,” the official told the Times. The official also admitted that the health agency was at fault. “She called us,” said the official. “I really think this one is on us.”

• Upvote 1