Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Southern Terminology

Heavyduty053

For those of you who have never heard these genuine words from the south or who doesn't live close to the south let me clue you in with three main words that we use often in conversations with someone.

doohicky.....a term used to describe a person, place or thing when we can't think of its name right off.

whatchamacallit.....also used to describe something important to keep a conversation going

thingamajig.....used to describe something you work with.

All these are substitutes for the real thing and usually the person you are talking to can pick up on it and know what it is you're  talking about.......works for us

• Upvote 6

Kinda like southern measurement . As follows

Could you move it

Just a might

Just a tad

just a scosh

just a smidgen

just a c*&t hair

and I do believe that I have them in the right order .

Although that can be argued depending on what state your in  :)

• Upvote 2

Could you move it

Just a might

Just a tad

just a scosh

just a smidgen

just a c*&t hair

Hey that goes along with it

• Upvote 1

From the North, works for us also!!!

Yep... same here in the Northeast!  Another is... "What's his face" and "What's her face" when you don't know someone's name!

I was wondering also, that it seems southerners use the term "for sell", rather than "for sale"... as well as saying, "I'll sale it to you...", very unusual here.  

• Upvote 1

Could you move it

Just a might

Just a tad

just a scosh

just a smidgen

just a c*&t hair

Dog you forgot

Just a red c*&t hair!

If we're talking southern - we should also clear up the distinctions between "all", "Y'all", and "all Y'all"

All is only used for inanimate objects, unless it is IMMEDIATELY followed by Y'all

Y'all is generally used for groups of people of 3 or less - but may include larger groups if the speaker is friend with a  majority of those being spoken to.

All Y'all is used for larger groups, and possibly could be seen as the more formal of the colloquialism as it is often use when strangers are present or for added emphasis.  

Example: "Y'all eat all of this grub, or all Y'all are taking leftovers home."

This from the short time I have spent in TX and OK.

• Upvote 2

As a born and bred Georgia Peach may I add some other sayings that I grew up with:

When asked "How y'all doing (singular)" the reply heard often "If I got any better, I'd be twins"  or

when asked the same question of a somewhat harried individual, you might hear,"I'm busier than a cat covering up sh*t on a tile

floor"

Oh and one of my favs when asked that question is "Hanging in there like a hair on a bisquit!"

there are many more of these colorful and descriptive answers in my lexicon and I love to spring them on unsuspecting Yankees!

lol....hope y'all enjoy them!