Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A stunning turn that could silence Syria war drums

A stunning turn that could silence Syria war drums
By Michael Pearson, CNN
updated 11:52 AM EDT, Tue September 10, 2013

Other news: U.S. will wait for Russian plan, "but we're not waiting for long," Kerry says
Russian proposal would transfer Syrian chemical weapons to international control

(CNN) -- It's a stunning turn of events that could change everything on Syria -- if it pans out.

Facing the threat of a U.S. military strike, the country's leaders Tuesday reportedly accepted a Russian proposal to turn over its chemical weapons.

The development, reported by Syrian state television and Russia's Interfax news agency, came a day after the idea bubbled up in the wake of what appeared to be an off-the-cuff comment by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

And while U.S. officials say they remain skeptical, it quickly changed the debate in Washington from solely "Should the U.S. attack?" to "Is there a diplomatic way out of this mess?"

Syrian Foreign Minister Foreign Minister Walid Moallem said Tuesday that his country had agreed to the Russian proposal after what Interfax quoted him as calling "a very fruitful round of talks" with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Monday.

Details of such a transfer have yet to be worked out, such as where the arms would go, who would safeguard them and how the world could be sure Syria had handed over its entire stockpile of chemical weapons.

But French President Francois Holland, British Prime Minister David Cameron and U.S. President Barack OBama have agreed to work together to explore the Russian proposal, a White House official said.

And a bipartisan group of senators began work on a resolution that would keep the U.S. military on its leash if the United Nations passes a resolution saying Syria used chemical weapons, as U.S. officials allege, and ordering the country to hand over such weapons.

McCain: 'I am very skeptical' Rep. Israel: Russia stepped up to plate
The United States, France, Great Britain and other nations suspect the Syrian government of using chemical weapons repeatedly in its two-year-old civil war, including an August 21 incident that U.S. officials say killed more than 1,400 people. Syrian officials have blamed rebel forces.

Growing support

Despite the lack of details, the Russian proposal was gaining traction around the world. On Monday, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed support for the concept. Tuesday, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said it would safeguard stability in the region. Syrian ally Iran welcomed the proposal, and Germany expressed interest.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said France would go to the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday with a proposal for Syria to hand over its chemical weapons but said France -- whose president has already expressed a willingness to punish Syria over its alleged use of the arms -- will not accept delays in the transfer.
"We need quick results," Fabius said.

European Union Foreign Affairs Secretary Catherine Ashton said she supported the French plan to bring the issue to the Security Council, saying the proposal "now needs to be fully worked up as quickly as possible."

Even Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, a proponent of a military strike on Syria, said the idea was worth exploring.

"I'm very, very skeptical," he told CNN's "New Day." "But the fact is, you can't pass up this opportunity -- if it is one."

McCain is one of the key players crafting the Senate resolution, which would be an alternative to the use-of-force resolution proposed by the administration. It would allow the president to deploy U.S. forces against Syria if the United Nations doesn't pass a resolution condemning the attack, saying it was "committed by the Syrian regime" and setting a deadline to hand over the weapons.

The senators have not decided whether the resolution would include limits on the use of U.S. force, such as sending troops to the country.

Lavrov said Tuesday that Russia's working on a "workable, clear, specific plan" and said it would be presented soon.

Speaking to the House Armed Services Committee on Tuesday, Kerry said the United States would look forward to the plan but will demand that it be brought forward and implemented quickly.

"We're waiting for that proposal, but we're not waiting for long," he said.
A senior administration official involved in Syria policy told CNN that U.S. officials are talking with France and others about how the proposal could be quickly advanced and to find ways to determine whether Russia and Syria are serious about the idea.

"There are a lot of good questions and there is understandable skepticism," the official told CNN's John King. "But today is better than yesterday. We would rather have a situation where it is possible there is a diplomatic solution in the offing than one with no choice but to pursue military action."

Inauspicious beginning

The idea surfaced publicly Monday, when Kerry -- responding to a reporter asking what Syria could do to stop a U.S. attack -- suggested that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad "could turn over every single bit of his chemical weapons to the international community in the next week."

"He isn't about to do it, and it can't be done, obviously," Kerry added.
His spokeswoman, Jen Psaki, sought to roll back the comments, saying the secretary was simply responding to a "hypothetical."

It turns out Russian President Vladimir Putin brought the idea up to Obama last week, a senior admninistration official said Monday night. But U.S. officials didn't realize how serious Russia was until Lavrov seized on Kerry's comment on Monday, the official said.

Administration officials at first publicly batted down the proposal.
A U.S. official who declined to be identified by name said Monday afternoon that no one in the administration was taking the proposal seriously.

But before long, deputy State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf was saying the United States would take a "hard look" at the idea. White House spokesman Jay Carney said administration officials were "highly skeptical" but had to take a look.

Obama's take

By Monday night, in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Obama was calling the idea a "potentially positive development."

"We're going to run this to ground," Obama said. He said the United States will work "to see if we can arrive at something that is enforceable and serious."
But, he said, the idea could simply be a stalling tactic, and Obama said he will continue to press his case for military action. He is scheduled to address the nation Tuesday night.

"If we can accomplish this limited goal without taking military action, that would be my preference," Obama said Monday. "On the other hand, if we don't maintain and move forward without a credible threat of military pressure, I don't think we'll actually get the kind of agreement I'd like to see."

While the Senate's top Republican, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, announced that he would be voting against the resolution because he doesn't feel a vital U.S. security interest is at stake, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said now isn't the time to let off the gas.

"The only reason Russia is seeking an alternative to military action is that President Obama has made it plain and clear that the United States will act if we must," Reid said. "Our credible threat of force has made these diplomatic discussions with Syria possible. And the United States shouldn't withdraw from the direction we are taking as a country."

A French diplomat said Tuesday that the country is not naive about the Russian proposal but said it was important to move forward in hopes the plan will pan out.
"We don't want to lose time and want something adapted by (the United Nations Security Council) as soon as possible," the diplomat said.

The opposition Free Syrian Army urged the world not to buy into the idea of transferring control of the chemical weapons, which it called a trick.
"Here we go again with the regime trying to buy more time in order to keep on the daily slaughter against our innocent civilians and to fool the world," said Louay al-Mokdad, a spokesman for the group.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/10/politics/us-syria-obama-solutions/?hpt=hp_bn3

***///

Even in spite of this option being made public and still insufficient dependable intel on who REALLY unleashed the CW's,

the hobummer administration is STILL banging the helloutta those war drums loud and clear.

he and his war-mongering puppet-masters want this illegal assault on Syria SO bad they can taste it, every bloody bite of it.

Why else would they continue to move FORWARD with this in spite of National & International consensus not to....? <_<

It's very personal to THEM and THEM alone. 

Has absolutely nothing to do with "humanitarian" anything - or they would've stepped in long ago.

EVIL  LIARS. :angry:

They need to create some false flag event to cover up some very dastardly evil they are up to.

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

***///

they don't really want either of those things....

they need a war and they need it now for some evil purpose or other.... it's how they roll.

As much as we'd like to think this is the deal Putin cut with the UN to get their alligator-mouthed boy off

the hook he himself baited then ate,

we still see NO move on his part to take this option,

as he's still got his diarrhea-mouthed Kerry, et al running around saying we all have to get on board this attack or else.

and as for Benghazi -

everyone should know by now he NEVER intends to reveal the truth nor hold anyone accountable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I glad that our people are stepping up to say no to war. If bankers (Rothschild's) make money off war by enslaving entire countries I for one am in total agreement.

If we let those people kill each other off and we take of our business at home we could still take our country back...

I keep thinking of the skinny little man in nothing but a sheet, Gandhi, that brought the British empire to it's knees....

They way I see it is if we have a couple  million God fearing, gun loving Patriots the USA can do anything we desire. 

Peace

Come on RV

• Upvote 1

I'm all for fighting to protect U.S. interest (lives), but, something smelled bad about this whole situation from the very begining. I come from a long linage of patriots, when needed we went. I have a son serving now. My point is this, I do not want my son to fight and possibly die just to pump Obama's ego. All these d*ckbirds screaming war, should have to be put in the first wave, if they survived,policy would change. People need to vote the heart in stead of protecting the pocetbook.

• Upvote 5

Assad never even used chem weapons to begin with..several different sources have proven that....This was the Saudi and Qatar funded Al-Qaeda rebels behind all the mayhem. Saudis and Qatar wanted to run a pipeline thry Syria to tap the EU's natural gas market, over which Russia currently has a monopoly. Was never about chem weapons and human rights in the 1st place. If we were going to go into to uphold human rights and save lives, we would have done so 100 other times in Africa in the last century, but there was no strategic or monetary value to it. All about the petro-dollar and selling the Saudis/Qatar natural gas, period. Whatever it takes not to go to war though, I am extremely happy for any solution that doesn't involve sending our boys and girls to war.

Edited by thegente
  • Upvote 2

I glad that our people are stepping up to say no to war. If bankers (Rothschild's) make money off war by enslaving entire countries I for one am in total agreement.

If we let those people kill each other off and we take of our business at home we could still take our country back...

I keep thinking of the skinny little man in nothing but a sheet, Gandhi, that brought the British empire to it's knees....

They way I see it is if we have a couple  million God fearing, gun loving Patriots the USA can do anything we desire. 

Peace

Come on RV

***///

NAILED IT ! :tiphat: 

I'm all for fighting to protect U.S. interest (lives), but, something smelled bad about this whole situation from the very begining. I come from a long linage of patriots, when needed we went. I have a son serving now. My point is this, I do not want my son to fight and possibly die just to pump Obama's ego. All these d*ckbirds screaming war, should have to be put in the first wave, if they survived,policy would change. People need to vote the heart in stead of protecting the pocetbook.

***///

HEAR, HEAR !  :tiphat: :twothumbs:  

Well it seems our fearless leader blew this deal. 

In my opinion it was again his inflated ego that caused putin to back off from any help 

he may have offered. A perfect out for our pathetic impotant pitiful potus and he hints that it was all his idea.

He had been talking to putin about almost a year go.

I dont blame putin I would have told him the same thing !!!!!  

Hey its your Idea go with it pal. 

hahahahaha  What a fricken loser

A news reporter had mentioned this to putin months ago. 

Now Barry saying its his idea. 

hahahahahahaha 

Not once in my adult life have I ever been worried about the security of our homeland .

But this is nuts. He doesn't have  a clue as to what the hell to do.

This is beyond stupid . We are like a ship floating in a vast ocean with no captain at the helm and

just adrift. 

MY GOD  WHERE IS  THE LEADERSHIP IN THIS COUNTRY !!!!!!

Well remember when kadafi said death to America we sent a smart bomb

right into his living room and shut his hole up!

The same thing will happen to assad they are just waiting for the satellite link to move over syria

and lock his known position and what a wake up call for assad.

This WILL happen! I am tracking this satellite and its almost their hee hee

up yours assad you big piece of dung.It dang sure wont be a pin prick for a prick.

I wished they would shove some of that seran gas down his throat and let him choke to death!

Bon-appetite assad you punk! His days are dam sure numbered and russia agrees! YEAH!

Watch him run in the next few days but he is tagged and wont get away!

Using chemical weapons on children what a piece of as dog says SHAT!

While your at it Obama send one to Maliki's house then RV I can wait for that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well remember when kadafi said death to America we sent a smart bomb

right into his living room and shut his hole up!

The same thing will happen to assad they are just waiting for the satellite link to move over syria

and lock his known position and what a wake up call for assad.

This WILL happen! I am tracking this satellite and its almost their hee hee

up yours assad you big piece of dung.It dang sure wont be a pin prick for a prick.

I wished they would shove some of that seran gas down his throat and let him choke to death!

Bon-appetite assad you punk! His days are dam sure numbered and russia agrees! YEAH!

Watch him run in the next few days but he is tagged and wont get away!

Using chemical weapons on children what a piece of as dog says SHAT!

While your at it Obama send one to Maliki's house then RV I can wait for that.

Hope your right Gully

But I just dont think O has the intestinal fortitude to pull it off 

Thank You For Bringing In The Article TBomb. Much Appreciated

Assad never even used chem weapons to begin with..several different sources have proven that....This was the Saudi and Qatar funded Al-Qaeda rebels behind all the mayhem. Saudis and Qatar wanted to run a pipeline thry Syria to tap the EU's natural gas market, over which Russia currently has a monopoly. Was never about chem weapons and human rights in the 1st place. If we were going to go into to uphold human rights and save lives, we would have done so 100 other times in Africa in the last century, but there was no strategic or monetary value to it. All about the petro-dollar and selling the Saudis/Qatar natural gas, period. Whatever it takes not to go to war though, I am extremely happy for any solution that doesn't involve sending our boys and girls to war.

Good Post Gente. Pretty much sums it up and I agree with what you are saying here.

Thank goodness Americans are paying attention this time and getting to the bottom of what is really going on.

Even with that being said... I'm sure they aren't done trying to push their agenda through in some other dishonest way.

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 1