Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

I was randomly searching for business ideas and ended up finding information on businesses in Dubai. Instantly I thought about IRAQ and how they can learn from Dubai's success.

I found this article that goes into details with pictures in what life is like there - http://www.businessinsider.com/banking-in-dubai-2012-7?op=1

This other link is from a yahoo answer why Dubai is so successful - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071111010308AAQfaIf

I do believe one day IRAQ will make Dubai look like TJ (Tijuana). =)

Go RV!

• Upvote 1

I spent a year just outside Dubai in 1970, it was a shanty town with just one surfaced road.

I was called to do a compass swing on a motor launch in the Creek, full of dead dogs and sewage. Fortunately it turned out to be an electrical fault and the swing was not necessary, the thought of falling into the water terrified me.

Would love to go back and see the changes.

I was randomly searching for business ideas and ended up finding information on businesses in Dubai. Instantly I thought about IRAQ and how they can learn from Dubai's success.

I found this article that goes into details with pictures in what life is like there - http://www.businessinsider.com/banking-in-dubai-2012-7?op=1

This other link is from a yahoo answer why Dubai is so successful - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071111010308AAQfaIf

I do believe one day IRAQ will make Dubai look like TJ (Tijuana). =)

Go RV!

Tijuana has a manufacturing base. Right now Iraq would be doing good to look like Tijuana. Iraq won't resemble Dubai for fifty years, if ever.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I spent a year just outside Dubai in 1970, it was a shanty town with just one surfaced road.

I was called to do a compass swing on a motor launch in the Creek, full of dead dogs and sewage. Fortunately it turned out to be an electrical fault and the swing was not necessary, the thought of falling into the water terrified me.

I might want to move there once we see the tax increase in the New Year. Dubai's tax-free living is definitely a plus, well almost tax free.

http://www.wisegeek.org/is-dubai-really-tax-free.htm

• Upvote 1

I am in Dubai currently and the place is absolutely amazing. Although the worldwide downturn in the economy in 2008 did in fact affect them, they are in a robust recovery now. The only bad thing about the UAE is the months of June, July, August and September. Housing is quite affordable and the pay for ex-pats is very good depending, obviously, on what one does for a living. I actually posted a statement on what Iraq could become if they ever stopped the BS.

• Upvote 1

Dubai is running out of oil compared to the more conservative Abu Dabi. Iraq has barely touched their oil supply. Allow real foreign ownership in Iraq and you will see iraq - 100x the size of UAE - become the Mecca of the ME.

• Upvote 2

Dubai is running out of oil compared to the more conservative Abu Dabi. Iraq has barely touched their oil supply. Allow real foreign ownership in Iraq and you will see iraq - 100x the size of UAE - become the Mecca of the ME.

It IS foreign owned - why do you think we went in, for the WMDs?

LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

there is a lot of money in the arab states invested all over the world to diversify oil profits into the future BUT those Arab states do not trust the Iraqi's !!! Dont know if it is just a holdover from the sadam era ...OR are there real cultural differences...If so ,dont see those going away for several generations....

One thing I note is that Quatar, UAE and SaudiArabia heve attracted qualified non-arabs who are not constrained by Islamic laws and culture to do their bidding...Iraq, Iran and Syria ( the so called democracys ) have not ...???

I think that is the first change Iraq must make ... BUT NOT.

Iraq won't resemble Dubai, it will surpass it.

UAE has a population of 8 million and a GDP of 360 billion. That's 45,000 USD per person per year. In order for Iraq to match that they'd have to increase their GDP by over 1,000%. Not gonna happen any time soon.

• Upvote 2

I am in Dubai currently and the place is absolutely amazing. Although the worldwide downturn in the economy in 2008 did in fact affect them, they are in a robust recovery now. The only bad thing about the UAE is the months of June, July, August and September. Housing is quite affordable and the pay for ex-pats is very good depending, obviously, on what one does for a living. I actually posted a statement on what Iraq could become if they ever stopped the BS.

I'd like to check that out. Do you have a link or if you don't mind, a copy paste reply.

I must admit since last night I never really looked at the economy of Dubai and was surprised how quickly they prospered.

I'm sure many other westerners have no clue about Dubai and might just assume that it's one of those places that are unsafe for travel due to terrorism.

• Upvote 1

I'm in the dinar investment because I firmly believe that Iraq will be the center of world commerce and the RV will be perfectly timed. I'd love the RV to happen this month but I'll let patience have her perfect work.

• Upvote 1

WOW! just WOW! I'm sorry but have you ever posted anything that resembles a possitive. smh

The problem isn't me, caz. The problem is the unrealistic expectations created by the gurus. Mexico's GDP is nearly ten times that of Iraq. Their per capita GDP is four times that of Iraq. While they share the natural resources of their neighbors in Kuwait and UAE, Iraq has many political and cultural hurdles to overcome. It's unrealistic to expect Iraq to become anything like those countries in the next twenty years. It will take an entire generation to make the political and cultural transitions and another generation to oversee the ultimate development. I'm not saying it won't happen. They're making progress, and I'm hopeful that they succeed. But there is simply no quick fix. If it's negative to make a fact based analysis then I suppose I'm guilty of being negative, but so far all of the hope and positive vibes have yielded little in actual results.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I'd like to check that out. Do you have a link or if you don't mind, a copy paste reply.

I must admit since last night I never really looked at the economy of Dubai and was surprised how quickly they prospered.

I'm sure many other westerners have no clue about Dubai and might just assume that it's one of those places that are unsafe for travel due to terrorism.

I have seen many tv reports on Dubai (and a few on Abu Dhabi which looks similar btw at least at first sight...) and I would assume it's not feared by Westerners in regards to terrorism as many wealthy Westerners have bought property there and spend time there every year as the Head of State ( don't know his official title, sorry) there is known for being very relaxed and moderate in regards to Islam and has much respect towards non Islamic residents.It would seem they have been having a really enlightened Government for the last 20-30 years allowing them to focus on the economic growth and prosperity of the Area.....In a climate of general tolerance and peace. Surely they have problems too but it seems that in general the place is well run.

I personally know a young woman ( a friend's daughter) who lives there ( when she doesn't work... She's a flight attendant on Emirates Airlines) and she's enthusiastic about it.....Her dad ( my friend) went there twice already and says it's a great place.. He was impressed among many other things, by the fact that he ( coming from my same city where we have mountains etc.) had the opportunity to go skying in this closed area when the temp. outside was almost 50 degrees Celsius and inside it was below 0 Celsius .....

His daughter lives in a beautiful compound for foreigners ( pool, etc.) and she goes out at night with friends and has this special permit ( as a non islamic resident) to drink alcoholic beverages, not having to wear veil, etc.

Edited by umbertino

Choppermike, pls pm me if you have the time. Thx

Iraq won't resemble Dubai, it will surpass it.

I doubt it very much. One of the reasons for our presence in the area during the sixties was to control immigration. There was no refusal, just documented and allowed to work. The Dubai business sector developed through the efforts of foreign labour rather than the locals.

• Upvote 1

Iraq will never be like Dubai, Iraq will be a third world country for as long as everyone on this forum is alive and then some. Sorry.

If Iraq doesn't get their act together then I'm afraid you will be right. However, I believe there will be new business ideologies that will transform Iraq. It all starts when the RV occurs.

I wanted to see if Dubai had any investments in Iraq's future and found this article.

"During Cityscape Global last month, the Iraqi Minister of Housing and Construction, Mr. Mohammad Al Darraji said: “US$10.4 billion worth of construction and infrastructure projects are expected to be approved next year and the ministry has 65 projects worth US$3 billion with 60,000 units already under construction.”

http://www.iraq-businessnews.com/tag/dubai/

The problem isn't me, caz. The problem is the unrealistic expectations created by the gurus. Mexico's GDP is nearly ten times that of Iraq. Their per capita GDP is four times that of Iraq. While they share the natural resources of their neighbors in Kuwait and UAE, Iraq has many political and cultural hurdles to overcome. It's unrealistic to expect Iraq to become anything like those countries in the next twenty years. It will take an entire generation to make the political and cultural transitions and another generation to oversee the ultimate development. I'm not saying it won't happen. They're making progress, and I'm hopeful that they succeed. But there is simply no quick fix. If it's negative to make a fact based analysis then I suppose I'm guilty of being negative, but so far all of the hope and positive vibes have yielded little in actual results.

Just curious, what are you a doctor of? btw this is just one of many scriptures

telling of the greatness of Babylon, and the fall thereof. Iraq will rise at lightning

speed and will fall the same way. What happens in between is the subject that

all men must deal with one way or another.

<< Revelation 18 >>

New International Version 1984

The Fall of Babylon

1After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his splendor. 2With a mighty voice he shouted:

“Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great!

She has become a home for demons

and a haunt for every evila spirit,

a haunt for every unclean and detestable bird.

3For all the nations have drunk

the maddening wine of her adulteries.

The kings of the earth committed adultery with her,

and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries.”

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1