Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

HOW MANY BUSINESSES HAVE ANNOUNCED CLOSINGS OR LAY-OFFS SINCE OBAMA WON A SECOND TERM?

TexasGranny

I called my lawyer today to discuss the shutting down of my business, I have been trying not to do it but it has eaten up every penny that I have just to keep it going this long. Not sure what I will do as my health isn't the best these days! Diabetes, 3 herniated disk in my lower back, high blood pressure and as most of you know GOUT!!! sad.gif

Been doing a lot of PRAYING on this smile.gif as I really hate letting employees go in this terrible economy!!angry.gif

I hear ya Bumper I just got done talking to my cpa to let me know just how bad O's health care plan is going to hurt and how long I will be able to stay in business or how many will have to go to part time just to survive. and Bumper I here ya about your health high blood pressure, and gout I guess we didn't build that either.

• Upvote 2

Read some of the links, no mention of the election but natural attrition. Simple said these market changes will open doors for other companies but all companies go through a natural attrition. One report regarding RIM; Once a mobile pioneer, RIM has struggled to regain market share lost to Apple Inc.’s iPhones and other smartphones that use Google Inc.’s Android software. RIM reported a net loss of $235 million on revenue of $2.9 billion for the quarter ended Sept. 1.

RIM announced last summer that it would cut about 5,000 jobs worldwide by March, to offset mounting losses and dramatically slower phone sales. Manning said the company is on track to meet that goal.

Bottomline, nothing related to election.

Of coarse not we all just love laying off or shutting are doors. REALLY WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

layoffs always stat out with a few hundred a few thousand .. then after awhile they dont have any money to spend in the economy .. so others dont move merchandise .. so orders get smaller and smaller .. from manufacturing sector .. and more layoffs follow .. then they run out of money .. it snow balls out of control

it never even made it back to 2007 levels and its on a downward spiral again .. i need to hear storys about hiring thousands .. not laying off thousands .. then i will feel the economy is back ..

ya cant go half way and say its good .. anyone wanna play some hoop?

ya got to follow through .. im watching eygpt .. and libya ... that which obama and liberal media praised as true democracy unfolding .. a we all watched terrorists take over two countrys in africa .. one right next to isreal .. and now syria ..and i think obama will help them take over syria too .. then we will see what happens when isreal bombs iran ..and the jihad is on .. what will obama do .. he helped them over throw egypt and syria ..he has turned his back on iraq .. he feels afganistan is doing great and he is ready to pull all troops next year ... about the time iran is ready to lanch its nukes .. do ya really think obama would care if he was impeached if he did all these things to further the advancement of islam .. he will be like his brother osama bin ladin. yes his brother

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your post TG. The companies that you mentioned in your post are large corporations. What is most bothersome to me is the massive number of small businesses that will close as some of the members have expressed. Small businesses are the back bone to our economy. I'm an independent contractor working in the accounting and tax field. I have lost two client's this year that closed their businesses. One was a AAA Towing Company and the other was an environmental support business. The loss of the accounting business set me back about 1k per month. I know that doesn't sound like much but when you work as a one women show 12k a year is significant. I'm really concerned about small business and the independents in our country. I think that we are toast.

To all the small business owners on this site, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I would never want to let a hard working employee go simply because the cash flow was not there to keep the doors open.

Hey Bump,

I'm from FL. My Dad has been in the marine business since he was a young man. He moved to Oviedo 30 years ago. His business was thriving. He used to have 15 to 20 boats lined up at his shop at all times. Most of his customers were in the construction business. He's lucky to get 2 to 3 jobs a month now. How sad. Fortunately, he lives frugally and can survive on social security.

I pray that we will see a change in the value of IQD. Even a small change would be helpful.

Take care everyone.

• Upvote 5

The list that Texasgranny's post provided is just a drop in the bucket. Ski as you mentioned the small businesses are the backbone of our economy.

We all know someone that knows someone that knows someone. I have a dear Hispanic female friend who will be closing her doors to her business soon.

She just couldn't understand why Romney didn't focus on the Hispanic community as much as Obama did. She said she could see the clear picture how Obama's tactic's were working in gaining the Hispanic voters.

And now the end of the road for her, all her hardworking sacrifices come to an end.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for post TG...I know people like Bumper who are having their savings eaten up by less business and still having to pay bills and the employees...Good luck to ya Bump, truly hope you make it through....my boss is in the same position.....

anyhow, I saw this tonight, and wasn't sure if it had been posted in this thread.....

In the wake of President Obama's reelection, one CEO is doubling down on his criticisms of Obamacare.

Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter said he plans on passing the costs of health care reform to his business onto his workers. Schnatter said he will likely reduce workers’ hours, as a result of President Obama's reelection, the Naples News reports. Schnatter made headlines over the summer when he told shareholders that the cost of a Papa John’s pizza will increase by between 11 and 14 cents due to Obamacare.

"I got in a bunch of trouble for this," he said, referring to the comments he made in August, according to Naples News. "That's what you do, is you pass on costs. Unfortunately, I don't think people know what they're going to pay for this."

Schnatter went on to say he's neither in support of, nor against the Affordable Care Act, even admitting that "the good news is 100 percent of the population is going to have health insurance.” But he’s not the only one in the chain restaurant industry to admit that workers hours may be reduced, since Obamacare mandates that only employees that work more than 30 hours per week are covered under their employers health insurance plan. For example, Darden restaurants, the parent company of Olive Garden and Red Lobster, has already experimented with reducing workers hours in anticipation of the legislation.

Others have responded to the added costs of Obamacare more harshly, includingApplebee's franchisee owner Zane Tankel who said his company won’t hire new workers because of the law. Just this week, a Georgia business owner also claimed he cut employees due to Obamacare and in fact had specifically laid off those who he thought had voted for President Obama.

Correction: A previous version of this post incorrectly stated that Applebee's was not planning on hiring new workers due to Obamacare. It is only Applebee's franchisee Zane Tankel who has taken that stance.

• Upvote 3

The list that Texasgranny's post provided is just a drop in the bucket. Ski as you mentioned the small businesses are the backbone of our economy.

We all know someone that knows someone that knows someone. I have a dear Hispanic female friend who will be closing her doors to her business soon.

She just couldn't understand why Romney didn't focus on the Hispanic community as much as Obama did. She said she could see the clear picture how Obama's tactic's were working in gaining the Hispanic voters.

And now the end of the road for her, all her hardworking sacrifices come to an end.

I'm sorry to hear that your friend will have to close her business. You are correct. In hindsight Romney's lack of focus towards the Hispanic community cost him some votes. I know that now. The Hispanics that I work with are hard working people. I respect them. In turn, I think that the voters wanting hand outs showed up and supported Obama. This country can't support what the Obama Administration has in store for us. Raising our taxes is nil, when our workforce declines rapidly. This country is really messed up. The budget and deficit are of concern to most of us.

Remember, most of our work is shipped offshore. We import most of our goods. Thus, American workers are not paying payroll taxes when they are unemployed.

I don't understand Barack Obama from a business stand point. He doesn't get it.

• Upvote 2

That all sounds peachy,but I can tell you that my partners and I have been talking about stream lining our operations for awhile now. And with the uncertainty of the near future it is almost certain to come to fruition. Just like many of my friends on the left "i've gots to get mine" mentality now will effect almost all. Just a side note uhhhhhhh yes it has all to do with the elections,there is no confidence in those running the ship. Thats just not me and my group talking, I belong to a small business association here in the ATL and those fears are very real-peace.

I hear you loud and clear Caz.

Of coarse not we all just love laying off or shutting are doors. REALLY WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not following geman.

Let's see, how many businesses are in the U.S.? Over 6 million I believe.

How many hiring? Check Monster, Career Builder, Simply Hired etc...

How many new startups?

How many expanding, XTO and Exxon for example.

How many insist on negative thoughts and a glass half empty? Refer to the election and DV for that answer.

WAKE UP AND DO POSITIVE THINGS GEMAN, CRIS AND THE LOT OF YOU. CHEERS!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Let me understand you Broke, if i crash my business just because it is harder to operate......

I must apologize, I stopped to respond after this phrase, because clearly you didn't read my post. No point reading the rest of yours, because your response to my post was on a false premise.

First line:

Companies are stretched to the snapping point thru the burden of increased regulation and government meddling to the point that they cannot afford to operate.

I don't understand Barack Obama from a business stand point. He doesn't get it.

I think he gets it just fine. I think he is here to tank us. I think he hates America and Americans. I think he wants to run us into the ground until we're a third world country. That's the only explanation that makes any sense.

I'm just hoping we accomplish the crash on his watch.

JMHO.

• Upvote 4

I must apologize, I stopped to respond after this phrase, because clearly you didn't read my post. No point reading the rest of yours, because your response to my post was on a false premise.

First line:

Companies are stretched to the snapping point thru the burden of increased regulation and government meddling to the point that they cannot afford to operate.

I think he gets it just fine. I think he is here to tank us. I think he hates America and Americans. I think he wants to run us into the ground until we're a third world country. That's the only explanation that makes any sense.

I'm just hoping we accomplish the crash on his watch.

JMHO.

Our economic crash occurred on Barack's watch. There has been no new economic growth in our country. I'm not an economist, though I'm smart enough to know without Americans on payroll this country will fail. Raising personal and Corporate taxes is not the solution to our deficit. Americans need jobs. That's our only hope. When American's make money we pay our taxes and spend money, which stimulates the economy.

It's rather simple to me.

President Obama should give up his 100k salary per year. He doesn't need it. He should donate the money in a way that would be most effective to American's that need immediate assistance.

• Upvote 2

Mitch and his diehards are going to have to come to the table now... their bluff didn't work. wink.gif

Time To Do Their Jobs and Work For Their Constituents... Or They Know They Will Get The Boot In 2014.

The Republican Party Is Divided And they Know The Old Party Will Turn On Em... The JIG Is UP.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For those of you who are considering leaving the country, I pray that you will consider staying. It is folks like you who are needed to lead and guide this country into what it can be. You are those with the intelligence to understand what needs to be done and work with others to bring this country to a place of peace. Please don't give up.

• Upvote 3

Mitch and his diehards are going to have to come to the table now... their bluff didn't work. wink.gif

Time To Do Their Jobs and Work For Their Constituents... Or They Know They Will Get The Boot In 2014.

The Republican Party Is Divided And they Know The Old Party Will Turn On Em... The JIG Is UP.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Maggie, Mojack says so right, we're grilling and watching games today.

Don't worry.... we are still moving forward!!! rolleyes.gif

Thelma-and-Louise-Soaring.png

Who are you helping in this illustration?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for laugh, Rod. :D Your visual depicts a downward spiral, in my brain. I think that's where our economy is headed. I will remain positive, as always. Peace!

As always...thanks for gettin the humor Ski!!! Yes, things may be going in a downward spiral, and no I don't deny reality... as a matter a fact I saw a T-shirt one time that said in big, bold print "Recession"... and under it the words..."I'm not participating"!!! Our attitudes along with keeping our cool are probably the best weapon we have against economic downturns. Each day we need to challenge ourselves to stay positive... and if we fail, there is always tomorrow to start over again!!! wink.gif

• Upvote 2

I hear you loud and clear Caz.

I'm not following geman.

Let's see, how many businesses are in the U.S.? Over 6 million I believe.

How many hiring? Check Monster, Career Builder, Simply Hired etc...

How many new startups?

How many expanding, XTO and Exxon for example.

How many insist on negative thoughts and a glass half empty? Refer to the election and DV for that answer.

WAKE UP AND DO POSITIVE THINGS GEMAN, CRIS AND THE LOT OF YOU. CHEERS!

have been for a lot of years with no help from our government, obvious you haven't built anything but a solid know it all attitude.

• Upvote 1

[/b]

As always...thanks for gettin the humor Ski!!! Yes, things may be going in a downward spiral, and no I don't deny reality... as a matter a fact I saw a T-shirt one time that said in big, bold print "Recession"... and under it the words..."I'm not participating"!!! Our attitudes along with keeping our cool are probably the best weapon we have against economic downturns. Each day we need to challenge ourselves to stay positive... and if we fail, there is always tomorrow to start over again!!! wink.gif

Failure is not an option in my life. I wake up each day with a positive attitude. I also pray. Somehow, my ritual works for me. Work hard and be kind to others. That's my best advice.

I appreciate your posts, Rod. Be well!

• Upvote 2

Down here in Florida they are dropping like flies, Hotels and Food service establishments have all announced that they will be cutting back hours to avoid paying a penalty. A friend of mine who works at a senior living facility has said it would save them around 170k a year by just paying the fine.

• Upvote 2