Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Good Music from the 70's

umbertino

Hey caz1104, it seems like you know your Southern Rock... Help me out here. I believe Free Bird was a LS tribute to Duane Allman, but I can't find where I read that. B)

Sir,actually its my understanding that "freebird" was a love song(one of the very few they wrote) about two lovers possibly Allan Collins that struggle with commitment issues. Collins wrote the music long before Van Zant wrote the lyrics. The ending dual lead guitar portion of the song is the part that is dedicated to Duane Allman. Allan Collins was one of the finest pickers to ever play...........of course that a line from another great LS song that I twisted a little to honor AC.......................................GO RV 2011 BABY!!!!!

Sir,actually its my understanding that "freebird" was a love song(one of the very few they wrote) about two lovers possibly Allan Collins that struggle with commitment issues. Collins wrote the music long before Van Zant wrote the lyrics. The ending dual lead guitar portion of the song is the part that is dedicated to Duane Allman. Allan Collins was one of the finest pickers to ever play...........of course that a line from another great LS song that I twisted a little to honor AC.......................................GO RV 2011 BABY!!!!!

Oh yeah "Freebird" originally was a slow acoustic love ballad then changed by AC along with the ending guitar portion. There are two versions that can be found in the LS box set,the original and the released. Just a little fyi...................................................GO RV 2011 BABY!!!

No 70's list would be complete without something from the Moody Blues. This one is by no means my favorite of theirs but I do love the message . . . I Know You're Out There Somewhere

You see, hope springs eternal from still waters . . . .

I've always liked the Blue Oyster Cult simply for their name! And I do own their 'best of' CD. Best line in that song "love of two is one"; succinct! Here's another My link shame about the car though :lol:

OMG...you guys are starting to pull out the heavy hitters....Furball, I was on a trip to Bora Bora when I first saw the Southern Cross...that was something to behold...Oh and of course watching the water in the toliet swirl in the opposite direction!

This one is ancient...but deep:

Keeps me up many nights wondering......

Edited by Tiffany23

Yes. I do know that the lyric had it's origin in a question Allen's then girlfriend (ultimately his wife) asked him one day... "If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me?" Right?! Curtis Lowe... not too twisted or even far removed from reality, he was definitely a fine picker. Thanks B)

BTW, I actually get a sense of remorse whenever I enjoy Crosby, Stills and Nash. It was from their lack of support for the nation's boys and protest of the war in Vietnam, and reverberates tremedously with the same resentment that fostered the creation of Southern Rock's great classic "Sweet Home Alabama". Regarding Neil Young: I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern man don't need him around anyhow. CSN would have been better off without him and even still I cannot deny his significant contribution to R&R. Now THAT is twisted...

Its so cool to hear that the younger generation of today [Tiffany 23] enjoys listening to the music i grew up with in my teen years. While everyone around was listening to spanish music i enjoyed soft rock and some zz top, van halen etc.

• Upvote 1

Check this out...

B)Argent "Hold Your Head Up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ_UuPH3cyw

Manfred Mann: "Blinded By The Light"

Badfinger: "No Matter What"

Leon Russell: "A Song For You"

B)

Great groups, great selections, my Friend.....I'm kinda surprised you do know Argent....Congrats on that.

Sade...Sweetest Taboo

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

umber...i love sade...and what an interesting clip...the girl that played the Geisha. Geisha's are Japanese and the two major female roles were Chinese...I was living in Japan (Okinawa) when that came out...let's just say it went over like a lead balloon. That halloween I dressed as a Geisha...and let's just say I turned some heads...of course I was on an Island with 40,000 jarheads, so it didn't take much!

This isn't 70's but it's something a bit different.. Sarah Brightman. I sing this just about every morning when I'm in the shower, drives my roommate bonkers! :P

• Upvote 1

Great groups, great selections, my Friend.....I'm kinda surprised you do know Argent....Congrats on that.

Sade...Sweetest Taboo

Heck dude, I've still got a copy of the "All Together Now" LP...

Rod Argent was the author of one of R&R's standards "Time Of The Season" by the Zombies.

I'm rather ecclectic in my musical tastes, and like Sade, but marriage to my Second wife (first love) was such a bittersweet experience I don't care much to listen to her these days...

B)

This isn't 70's but it's something a bit different.. Sarah Brightman. I sing this just about every morning when I'm in the shower, drives my roommate bonkers! :P

This one's for you Tiffy...

B)

• Upvote 1

umber...i love sade...and what an interesting clip...the girl that played the Geisha. Geisha's are Japanese and the two major female roles were Chinese...I was living in Japan (Okinawa) when that came out...let's just say it went over like a lead balloon. That halloween I dressed as a Geisha...and let's just say I turned some heads...of course I was on an Island with 40,000 jarheads, so it didn't take much!

[/quo

Tiff.......I'm glad to hear you like Sade. She's indeed awesome....Thanks for letting me know about the video.......It's interesting for me to learn you lived in Japan.I'm fascinated by People's experiences in their travels and long stays around the World....Those are the things ( travels and learning about other Cultures) that really make us grow and progress as Individuals....I have learned a lot (still have a lot more to go...) during my travels and I thank the Universe for the Opportunity I got to be able to do that..........I have NO doubt you made many many many heads turn when you dressed as a Geisha ( and not only then I'm sure)........

Heck dude, I've still got a copy of the "All Together Now" LP...

Rod Argent was the author of one of R&R's standards "Time Of The Season" by the Zombies.

I'm rather ecclectic in my musical tastes, and like Sade, but marriage to my Second wife (first love) was such a bittersweet experience I don't care much to listen to her these days...

End Quote

That's great, my Friend...... I do understand about "bittersweet" experience allright when it comes to certain love stories........

Re.Argent.....I used to listen to them eons ago and I remember mainly that song that goes "God gave rock'n'roll to you, gave rck'n'roll to you... (can't recall words)................ for everyone"

Edited by umbertino

Thanks my golden kitty....that was a purrrrrfect selection for me, how did you know? :hug:

I love listening to Riders of the Storm...especially in my car, with the top down at night, the smell of rain, dark clouds approaching...it almost feels like one is on the road to Hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5k7m5oOEk

This was "our song", my first real love. "like a water color thru the rain"

You know some time that you are bound to leave her, but for now you are going to stay.

It was 2004 the year of the Cat.

:lol: here's my fav from song for the 70's :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWlB6h_cWyk

:oOH CRAP!!!! THAT'S NOT THE SONG!!!!! :o

oh, well.....wot ever...its still a kewl song...lol :lol:

Welll...uh..um.I like it! ;)