Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Good Music from the 70's

umbertino

Hey, Hey, Hey...I thought I handed out homework...you are NOT suppose to post a song unless you give a short...even a few words...of what that song means to you! Geez....some guys just won't listen to a woman when she says something!

LA..thank you for the addition...I had heard tha song before but had NO idea who it was that sang it...kind of an Elton John type, eh?

Stillwater...um, I'm still waiting on YOUR homework assignment...YOU have to break down Hotel California all the way. I won't be able to sleep, eat or watch Big Bang until I know damn it!

This is a song that EVERY Girl wants to be: THE ONE!

A few words huh,after watchin (did'nt hear a word or note) all I can say is SERIOUS!!!!!!!!mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I never meant my Grandmother on my Father's side. She died of cancer at the age of 57. Barbra Streisand was her favorite singer, and she loved this song. And I grew up playing this song and thinking of her...and how I wished I would have gotten a chance to meet her.

I would often watch my Grandfather listen to this song, late at night, after having a few glasses of wine...reminscing. My grandfather was a big guy, a jarhead in WWII, pro rodeo...and the only time I saw him cry is when he would listen to this song.

I know for those of you who have lost someone very close, this is a very special song.

"Stillwater,

I saw an interview of Chris Isaak after he recorded Wicked games. The girl in the video was a top model from Eastern Europe (I think but could be wrong). Anyway, he said that they had to shoot the close ups several times and that he was getting VERY hot. And after the final cut, while he was holding her close in his arms, he asked, so ah now what? She looked up at him with her pale blue eyes, and whispered ever so softly.."Is it lunch yet?"

He said he was crushed.. and that was that! :lol: ''

Tiffany, now that is a very sad but perfect example of life imitating art! Poor guy no doubt was having a COLD shower while she was having lunch :lol: Even sadder however is how many of us guys can relate to his anguish; that said, don't believe for one instant that we will EVER give up ~ it just isn't in our genes, jeans or DNA ;)

Now for balance in the universe, consider this song:

• Upvote 1

It does me too ~ and right back at ya Tiff ;)

Written by Leonard Cohen, a truly marvelous mystic-poet , , , , here are two more of his that I have loved for a long time ~ Hey, that's no way to say goodbye My link and ~ Suzanne

His music/lyrics/voice takes me places; to where the great poets, novelists, seers, mystics, composers, philosophers and the like have experienced life ~ deeply with all the pain, hope, joy, sorrow, love, longing, disbelief and eventually triumph, all of which is part of our birthright as human beings , , , , Enjoy :)

• Upvote 1

stillwater...I've never heard that version of Suzanne before...thanks for dusting it off! :) I know the song from Neil Diamond vesion.

Suzanne reminds me of a guy that loves a woman but isn't in love with her...he's comfortable with her and her ways. They can talk...kind of like a worn leather jacket. But in time he will move on but he will never forget her.

I love Neil, as most of his songs are deep and intellectual. I did a breakdown of Brother Love's Traveling Salvation show when I was in High School. The girls in my class were doing Britney Spears songs and when I pulled this one up, they looked at me like I had a 3rd horn (I only have two by the way!) . But the teacher loved it. I love how it starts out like a small earthquake..and then grows.

I'm pulling this ND song up, kind of how I feel about my life right now in various ways.... of course the gender has changed and a few other things (like I'm not a frog who became a king).

• Upvote 1

Hard to imagine you being a 'Solitary Gal' for very long Tiffany but I think it can be a very constructive, healing and strengthening time for any individual. I speak from experience here :lol: ~ I have always loved that ND song, I think it was his first hit and I've respected him as an artist ever since. For me it's always been one of those songs that when I'm flipping thru the radio dial I'll stop for and listen to again. Music has always helped get me thru those times of aloneness (all-one-ness). ~ Now that we're seeing signs of spring my thoughts sometimes turn to anticipation of SUMMER! Here's a good one from the 70s. My link

Btw - Kudos for doing Brother Loves ... when they were all doing BS (lol) And I nearly fell out of my seat reading about your third horn :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1

Stillwater...love it..rather a simple little tune...but a summer day down by the ocean or lake...who wouldn't want to relax and enjoy that way? The video fits it to a T..feel like I'm right there...nice choice buddy!

Here's a little tune I love to listen to...just love the beat...and the energy...not really saying much...just babbling on.... :)

• Upvote 1

Nice choice Furball...always like this one as it depicts a person that is caught between two worlds...like a half breed...America and Brit. This version is a bit slower than the orginal isn't it?

Wouldn't be the 70's without talking about America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRY361U3A5Y

This song always stumped me..not sure if it is kind of nonsense song or if there is a hidden meaning. Thoughts? The title "horse with no name" seemed rather odd to me...as I grew up with horses and couldn't understand why you wouldn't want to name such a magnificent creature...looking at life thru the eyes of a child (notice I didn't say innocent...i don't EVER remember being innocent!) :P

Also including Tin man..as a kid, who could not think of Oz....

Edited by Tiffany23
  • Upvote 1

stillwater...I've never heard that version of Suzanne before...thanks for dusting it off! :) I know the song from Neil Diamond vesion.

Suzanne reminds me of a guy that loves a woman but isn't in love with her...he's comfortable with her and her ways. They can talk...kind of like a worn leather jacket. But in time he will move on but he will never forget her.

I love Neil, as most of his songs are deep and intellectual. I did a breakdown of Brother Love's Traveling Salvation show when I was in High School. The girls in my class were doing Britney Spears songs and when I pulled this one up, they looked at me like I had a 3rd horn (I only have two by the way!) . But the teacher loved it. I love how it starts out like a small earthquake..and then grows.

I'm pulling this ND song up, kind of how I feel about my life right now in various ways.... of course the gender has changed and a few other things (like I'm not a frog who became a king).

"frog who became king" I am I said-love early ND! 1st "Hot August Night" LP was fantastic.................................GO RV 2011 BABY!! Ribbet,Ribbet

• Upvote 1

Caz..your a nut...but your my nut! If you want to join us, you have to post your favorite songs and provide insights...come join the fun buddy! :)

Ok, here goes. I used to be,wait still am a big LS fan and two of many favs are "neddle and the spoon" & "that smell". Both talking bout drugs but more importantly what they were & did to a wonderful guitar player and collaborator,Allan Collins . I went to a reunion concert many years ago when LS still would'nt sing Free Bird in memory & tribute to Ronnie Van. Near the end of the concert they wheeled AC out and the crowd me included went from a frenzy to complete silence. It took a little while and then the claps started slowly then louder and louder and louder,incredible. It was great to see one of the driving foreces of the band but sad to see what he had become due to excess. He died shortly thereafter. Listening to those songs especialy "that smell" says it all..................................................GO RV 2011 BABY!!!

• Upvote 1

What a playlist we are creating! I never knew I could have this much fun and it would be legal :D Love those songs you two. Here is one for ya from one of my all-time fave singer-songwriters: Beautiful - Gordon Lightfoot My link And if I can be forgiven for jumping around this is one of the most compelling live performances ever ~ Freedom - Richie Havens at Woodstock My link In joy;)

• Upvote 1

Nice addition Caz! Glad you joing us! At least somehow on some level he knew that people still cared.

OMG I LOVE Gordon! He was like Neil Dimond...someone we all seem to play when we want some thinking music. The Fitzgerald was especially tantalizingly, just the visions it brings up. The part I love is where the cook says "It's been good to know ya" What it must feel like to know that you've come to the end and death just has moments to wait!

I love this one by him as well, Ghost from a wishing well...come on..how romantic is that! :blink:

• Upvote 1

Ok, here goes. I used to be,wait still am a big LS fan and two of many favs are "neddle and the spoon" & "that smell". Both talking bout drugs but more importantly what they were & did to a wonderful guitar player and collaborator,Allan Collins . I went to a reunion concert many years ago when LS still would'nt sing Free Bird in memory & tribute to Ronnie Van. Near the end of the concert they wheeled AC out and the crowd me included went from a frenzy to complete silence. It took a little while and then the claps started slowly then louder and louder and louder,incredible. It was great to see one of the driving foreces of the band but sad to see what he had become due to excess. He died shortly thereafter. Listening to those songs especialy "that smell" says it all..................................................GO RV 2011 BABY!!!

Hey caz1104, it seems like you know your Southern Rock... Help me out here. I believe Free Bird was a LS tribute to Duane Allman, but I can't find where I read that. B)

• Upvote 1

Umbertino yes The Edmund Fitzgerald is a masterpiece (Gordon has created a few!) Here is another ~ Don Quixote My link "see the wise and wicked ones who feed upon lifes' sacred fire, see the soldier with his gun who must be dead to be admired" . . . . .

If You Could Read My Mind . . . love it, always have, tragically sad and romantic at the same time . . . the man is a true poet/troubador. Thanks Tiffany, you have such good taste!

Pureau or, er furball if I may be so bold; thanks for the Allman Bros! I saw them in a little club called the Beaux Arts in Pinellas Park Fla. before they even released their first album. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was the headline act that night but I'm here to tell you the Allmans blew them off the stage. After their performance I got to shake Duane Allmans' hand and tell them how awesome they were (I was a geeky high school kid at the time) Later, saw them many times at the Whisky in LA- all before Duanes' untimely demise. I have a theory that Derek Trucks is the reincarnation of Duane Allman . . . . and its not just the Coricidin bottle on his finger either :) Check this out, song written by Bob Dylan - Down In The Flood

Umbertino yes The Edmund Fitzgerald is a masterpiece (Gordon has created a few!) Here is another ~ Don Quixote My link "see the wise and wicked ones who feed upon lifes' sacred fire, see the soldier with his gun who must be dead to be admired" . . . . .

If You Could Read My Mind . . . love it, always have, tragically sad and romantic at the same time . . . the man is a true poet/troubador. Thanks Tiffany, you have such good taste!

Pureau or, er furball if I may be so bold; thanks for the Allman Bros! I saw them in a little club called the Beaux Arts in Pinellas Park Fla. before they even released their first album. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was the headline act that night but I'm here to tell you the Allmans blew them off the stage. After their performance I got to shake Duane Allmans' hand and tell them how awesome they were (I was a geeky high school kid at the time) Later, saw them many times at the Whisky in LA- all before Duanes' untimely demise. I have a theory that Derek Trucks is the reincarnation of Duane Allman . . . . and its not just the Coricidin bottle on his finger either :) Check this out, song written by Bob Dylan - Down In The Flood

Stillwaters, furball's cool for my friends to use. I think you're on to something there with DT...

The song If You Could Read My Mind... Man that's classic! What a tale my thoughts could tell. It's funny, but it reminded me of Frank Zappa's "Don't ya never try to look behind my eyes, 'cause you don't wanna know what they have seen..."

Wow..you guys are starting to dust off the stuff I've never heard before...I know the bands but not the songs. I'll be honest, I think they may be "acquire' taste. :P Like red wine...I'll listen to them more and see if they grow on me.

Ok, you know one of us would have to post this one!

I love this version....but it's missing something...hmmmm..wait a minute, I got it...it needs MORE cowbells! :lol:

Many of my friends that listen to it think it's about suicide...but it's NOT...it's a love story...they will be together for always! Death won't even keep them apart!