Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Ted Cruz gets specific on 'abolishing the IRS'

Ted Cruz gets specific on 'abolishing the IRS'

BY DAVID M. DRUCKER | APRIL 27, 2015 | 5:00 AM

w200-195b484b0ee94e843bcde1abdd3f4d0c.jpSen. Ted Cruz has been gunning to abolish the Internal Revenue Service since coming to Washington...

LAS VEGAS — Sen. Ted Cruz has been gunning to abolish the Internal Revenue Service since coming to Washington two years ago.

To critics of the Texas Republican in Democratic and GOP circles, it sounds like bluster. The fiery rhetoric garners hearty applause from conservative audiences, particularly since revelations in 2013 that the IRS targeted Tea Party groups for extra scrutiny. But some federal agency is going to have to collect taxes, so Cruz's vow to shutter the IRS smacks of a politically motivated campaign promise rather than serious policy — at least to some.

In an interview with the Washington Examiner on Friday, the 2016 presidential candidate began to put some meat on the bones. Cruz, 44, explained how "abolishing the IRS" fits into his proposal, still being crafted by his team of economic advisors, for wholesale tax reform. This proposal, which Cruz plans to unveil later this year, is a key plank in his domestic agenda for economic growth that he would pursue as president.

• "When it comes to jobs and growth and opportunity, the two most effective levers that the federal government has to facilitate small businesses creating new jobs, are tax reform and regulatory reform," Cruz said late last week, during a 20-minute discussion while on a brief swing through Las Vegas. "I am campaigning on a flat tax that would allow every American to fill out his or her taxes on a post card that allow us to abolish the IRS."

Cruz said he envisions shifting the tracking and collection of federal taxes to "some much smaller division" of the Treasury Department. The senator said that replacing the current, complex tax code with a simple flat tax would eliminate most of the work the IRS needs to do, making the agency obsolete and "irrelevant."

In its purest form, a "flat tax" treats all taxpayers equally. Income is taxed at the same rate regardless of earnings or wealth, while allowing for no tax deductions or exemptions. But Cruz said his flat tax proposal might allow some deductions, possibly for popular write-offs like for charitable donations and mortgage interest charged on a primary residence, paid annually by homeowners.

"We will roll it out with precise details in the coming weeks or months," he said. "There are trade-offs to be had and we're right now internally having those debates, in terms of whether you have a couple of deductions or exemptions or not, at what rate the flat rate is set, what level of standard deductions and so those trade-offs we're currently debating."

Cruz said the theme of his campaign rests on restoring Americans' optimism for the future, as defined by three elements: "No. 1, bringing back jobs and growth and opportunity; No. 2., defending our constitutional liberties and No. 3, restoring America's leadership in the world."

The Texan emphasized that regulatory reform was just as important as tax reform in satisfying his top goal of igniting the economy and fueling job growth. Unlike his plans for tax reform, which would presumably require congressional sign-off, Cruz said he could pursue a significant amount of regulatory reform through his executive authority, and that he would do so aggressively during his first 100 days as president.

Cruz said that Washington has implemented reams of regulatory rules that executive branch bureaucrats wrote on their own, outside of the legislative process and without the approval of Congress. Accordingly, the senator, who has at times criticized President Obama for overstepping his executive authority, said that he would use his executive authority to roll many of these regulations back.

"One major area of unilateral steps concerns regulatory reform, the second half of job growth," Cruz said, explaining his views on where it's appropriate for a president to govern by executive action.

"There are a great many things that can be implemented unilaterally in the executive," he said. "The president, under Article II of Constitution, is charged with executing the laws. Many of the most burdensome rules coming from Washington come from the executive branch from unaccountable, unelected bureaucrats and if I'm elected president, one of the very top priorities is going to be to reign back those regulations, those executive orders, those rules from Washington that are burdening small businesses and killing jobs."

• Upvote 1

Abolish the IRS... absolutely!   Flat tax... not too sure.  Being self-employed, I'm not sure how any flat tax could possibly work for small business owners...  there has to be expense/write-offs.  That won't fit on a postcard!

FAIR TAX (consumption tax) is the way to go:  EVERYONE pays.  Pay "as you go/purchase".  No paperwork.  No lag in collection.  No IRS.  YOU control the amount of taxes you pay...  buy more/pay more... buy less/pay less.

• Upvote 2

Abolish the IRS... absolutely!   Flat tax... not too sure.  Being self-employed, I'm not sure how any flat tax could possibly work for small business owners...  there has to be expense/write-offs.  That won't fit on a postcard!

FAIR TAX (consumption tax) is the way to go:  EVERYONE pays.  Pay "as you go/purchase".  No paperwork.  No lag in collection.  No IRS.  YOU control the amount of taxes you pay...  buy more/pay more... buy less/pay less.

you take your income put it on one line....put your expenses (write offs) on the next...subtract...then pay 17% of what is left after the expenses are backed out

there is talk of having to send in documentation that arrives at the same amount of the write off...easy peasy

here is a ink for what Rand Paul is thinking

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/07/pf/taxes/rand-paul-flat-tax/

Edited by SnowGlobe7

***///

...and NO bonuses for Fed Employees !  COLA raises, okay.  

But this bonus crap for a bunch of lazy, thieving LYING gubment tools has got to stop!  :angry:

And automatic jail sentences for FedEmployees who violate the trust of the American people.

...lookin' at YOU, Lois Lerner....  hobummer tool extraordinaire who was so richly compensated for towing

hobummer's line to destroy The Tea Party and lie her ass off about it. :angry:

• Upvote 3

you take your income put it on one line....put your expenses (write offs) on the next...subtract...then pay 17% of what is left after the expenses are backed out

there is talk of having to send in documentation that arrives at the same amount of the write off...easy peasy

here is a ink for what Rand Paul is thinking

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/07/pf/taxes/rand-paul-flat-tax/

Thanks Snow!  But that still takes an exorbitant amount of time and expense (for the taxpayer/same as now)... unfortunately not easy!  And, of course I'd still need to be accountable... who checks that?!!   The IRS!

Thanks for the link... checking it out!

• Upvote 1

Like I've been saying for years A national sales tax is the only fair thing to do. Then everyone including corrupt politicians pay a small amount per purchase. All would have skin in the game.

Exactly Geman!  FAIR TAX is a national sales tax!  Lots and lots of skin... and the % wouldn't have to be exorbitant!

• Upvote 1

Sounds like  interesting proposals what you guys  posted... Something we'd need here in this  screwed up Country of mine too.

I'm going to start off by saying that I'm shooting from the hip.  So bear with me please.

Shouldn't you first get a gov't that lasts more than 2 months?  I think the last I heard Italy had something like 54 govt's since WW2.  Wait, let me go see if I can find out.  Be right back.  Yeah, I know, it's brb.  I'm messing with you.  BRB......................................................................Google didn't like my question.  brb....................................................dum da dum dum......................................taking awhile.................................sorry folks........................................wow..........................................I was wrong.  Very sorry.  I am not used to hearing that let alone seeing that in writing.  BUT  as of Feb 2015 and I'm sure up to now Italy is on it's 64th Government.  You shouldn't even be thinking about tax changes.  Hahaha  Remember how I started Umber,  Just for fun.  Hope all is well with you and have a good one.  Take care my friend.

Edited by Markinsa
Removed duplicate text

***///

...and NO bonuses for Fed Employees !  COLA raises, okay.  

But this bonus crap for a bunch of lazy, thieving LYING gubment tools has got to stop!  :angry:

And automatic jail sentences for FedEmployees who violate the trust of the American people.

...lookin' at YOU, Lois Lerner....  hobummer tool extraordinaire who was so richly compensated for towing

hobummer's line to destroy The Tea Party and lie her ass off about it. :angry:

I have a question for you to (two).  Just so you know, so do I.  Is your reference to federal Employees restricted to the likes of Lois Lerner and the others (no specific names in my head right now)  (or anything else for that matter), VA so called leaders that caused that mess etc. or does it include all federal employees ie: rank and file?

I think I know you well enough so I would like a clarification before I say anything.  FYI as far as Lerner goes, she should be in jail solely due to her performance at the hearings.  And not because of poor performance but because of all the laws she broke and contempt charges she should have had.  Any one of us, Done deal.  Until they found out how much money I didn't have.  I'd be making money in jail.  But I'd be needing my meds.  That would be a problem.

The IRS isnt going anywhere soon and neather is Ted cruz.

As long as the fat cats in DC are raking in the cash on both sides of the isle

Nothing going nowhere. Nothing will change and nothing will be accomplished

other then making it harder for the working man to get by and easier for the

elite of this country to suck it dry.

Shouldn't you first get a gov't that lasts more than 2 months?  I think the last I heard Italy had something like 54 govt's since WW2.

End Quote

True... We had real fast ( as for duration) gov'ts that you really couldn't tell if they were comin' or goin'...almost as a norm ( with a very few exceptions) .

That's why I used the  ( somehow kind) term of "screwed up" country of mine.

Doing fairly ok, DWitte ( hittin' 58 in 2 days..)... Grazie...

Hope you're doing ok yourself....Ciao

Edited by umbertino