Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Isaiah 53

Markinsa

This was written approx 700 B.C. Who do you think its talking about?

Isaiah 53 (New Living Translation)

1 Who has believed our message?

To whom has the Lord revealed his powerful arm?

2 My servant grew up in the Lord’s presence like a tender green shoot,

like a root in dry ground.

There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance,

nothing to attract us to him.

3 He was despised and rejected—

a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief.

We turned our backs on him and looked the other way.

He was despised, and we did not care.

4 Yet it was our weaknesses he carried;

it was our sorrows that weighed him down.

And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God,

a punishment for his own sins!

5 But he was pierced for our rebellion,

crushed for our sins.

He was beaten so we could be whole.

He was whipped so we could be healed.

6 All of us, like sheep, have strayed away.

We have left God’s paths to follow our own.

Yet the Lord laid on him

the sins of us all.

7 He was oppressed and treated harshly,

yet he never said a word.

He was led like a lamb to the slaughter.

And as a sheep is silent before the shearers,

he did not open his mouth.

8 Unjustly condemned,

he was led away.

No one cared that he died without descendants,

that his life was cut short in midstream.

But he was struck down

for the rebellion of my people.

9 He had done no wrong

and had never deceived anyone.

But he was buried like a criminal;

he was put in a rich man’s grave.

10 But it was the Lord’s good plan to crush him

and cause him grief.

Yet when his life is made an offering for sin,

he will have many descendants.

He will enjoy a long life,

and the Lord’s good plan will prosper in his hands.

11 When he sees all that is accomplished by his anguish,

he will be satisfied.

And because of his experience,

my righteous servant will make it possible

for many to be counted righteous,

for he will bear all their sins.

12 I will give him the honors of a victorious soldier,

because he exposed himself to death.

He was counted among the rebels.

He bore the sins of many and interceded for rebels.

• Upvote 6

crushed for our sins.

Yet the Lord laid on him

the sins of us all.

8 Unjustly condemned,

he was led away.

But he was struck down

9 He had done no wrong

and cause him grief.

he will be satisfied.

JESUS!

• Upvote 2

crushed for our sins.

Yet the Lord laid on him

the sins of us all.

8 Unjustly condemned,

he was led away.

But he was struck down

9 He had done no wrong

and cause him grief.

he will be satisfied.

Besides generally foretelling the humiliation of Christ, the passage contains twelve specific prophecies that came to pass in the course of Jesus' life and death.

1. Humility. "When we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him" (Isa. 53:2). The Hebrew word underlying "beauty" is normally translated "appearance" (3). The gist of the prophecy is that no one looking at Christ would imagine that He was a great man. There would be nothing in His face or dress to signify His future supremacy over all the earth.

The words were surely fulfilled in Jesus. He bore none of the marks of privilege. He owned none of the beauty attainable by people who live in easy circumstances. Rather, He was by trade a carpenter and by divine call an itinerant preacher. He had the rough hands and weathered face of a man accustomed to manual labor out-of-doors. He had the coarse clothing and grooming of a man who had no settled residence, but who slept often in the wilderness. He said, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head" (Luke 9:58). This Jesus was no stylish fellow with cultured speech and manners. Hence, in fulfillment of prophecy, He failed to excite general admiration. Because men prize worldly rank and sophistication, they did not desire the lowly Jesus for their Lord and Master.

2. Rejection. "He is despised and rejected of men" (Isa. 53:3). "We hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not" (Isa. 53:3). Since the prophet is writing mainly to Israel, the pronoun "we" has restricted reference to Israel as well as broader reference to all mankind.

Indeed, the vast multitude of Jews did not accept Jesus as the Christ. The leaders of the nation conspired to kill Him (John 11:47-53), then scorned His claims when He entered Jerusalem triumphantly on Palm Sunday (Matt. 21:15-16). At His trial, a mob of His countrymen thronged the place of judgment and called vehemently for His crucifixion (Luke 23:13-25).

3. Imprisonment and trial. "He was taken from prison and from judgment" (Isa. 53:8). That is, Christ would be taken to His death after He had been imprisoned and tried.

It is likely that Jesus was jailed for short intervals during the legal proceedings on the morning of His death. Luke's account of these proceedings suggests a short hiatus before daybreak.

63 And the men that held Jesus mocked him, and smote him.64 And when they had blindfolded him, they struck him on the face, and asked him, saying, Prophesy, who is it that smote thee? 65 And many other things blasphemously spake they against him. 66 And as soon as it was day, the elders of the people and the chief priests and the scribes came together, and led him into their council, . . . .Luke 22:63-66

During this hiatus, after Annas had interviewed Jesus and before the Sanhedrin had convened to try Him, the authorities no doubt kept Him in a guarded place, perhaps in an actual prison.

Jesus underwent a series of trials: the first before a court comprised of Jewish leaders (Luke 22:66-71), the second before Pilate, Roman governor of Judaea (Luke 23:1-6), the third before Herod, ruler of Galilee (Luke 23:7-12), and the last before Pilate again (Luke 23:13-25).

4. Silence. "He opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth" (Isa. 53:7). This prophecy tells expressly that after Christ had been arrested and taken into custody, He would keep silent before His accusers.

The Gospel accounts agree that in His several trials Jesus did not, for the most part, respond to the accusations brought against Him (Matt. 26:62; 27:13-14; Mark 14:61; 15:5; Luke 23:9; John 19:9). Pilate marveled that a man facing capital punishment refused to defend Himself (Mark 15:5).

If the Gospels were fictional works seeking to prove that Jesus was the Christ, they would represent Him as perfectly fulfilling Messianic prophecy. They would show Him scrupulously silent at His trials. In fact, however, they preserve some conversations between Jesus and the authorities. Yet, what Jesus said merely emphasized His silence otherwise. Although the authorities interrogated Him for hours, His recorded answers can be read in less than a minute.

5. Condemnation. "He hath poured out his soul unto death: he was numbered with the transgressors" (Isa. 53:12). Evidently, Christ would be convicted of a capital crime.

Indeed, at the insistence of the Jewish leaders, who alleged that Jesus' claims challenged Roman authority, Pilate sentenced Jesus to death for the crime of sedition (John 19:15-16, 19).

6. Scourging. "With his stripes we are healed" (Isa. 53:5). The word rendered "stripes" has singular form but collective meaning, referring to the welts raised by a lashing or scourging . An alternative translation is "strikes"

The Roman practice before delivering a condemned malefactor to death by crucifixion was to scourge him first, perhaps so as to reduce the time that guards would need to stand duty before he died . According to custom, Pilate ordered a scourging for Jesus (Matt. 27:26; John 19:1). The scourging was done with a flagrum, a vicious implement consisting of several long leather strands studded with bone or metal .

7. Beating. "He was bruised for our iniquities" (Isa. 53:5). The term "bruised" means "crushed," or "beaten in pieces" (8). It vividly suggests a body mutilated by many blows.

During His trial, Jesus' enemies not only scourged Him; they also assaulted Him by blows with their hands. After He declared to the Sanhedrin that He was indeed the Christ, the Son of God,

65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.

66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,

68 Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ, Who is he that smote thee?.Matthew 26:65-68

The Jewish leaders then took Jesus to Pilate and insisted, over Pilate's objections, that Jesus be put to death. Fearful of pronouncing Jesus guilty of a capital offense, yet desirous of appeasing the Jewish leaders, Pilate decided to punish Him severely without taking His life.

1 Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him.

2 And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe,

3 And said, Hail, King of the Jews! and they smote him with their hands.John 19:1-3

29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!

30 And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.Matthew 27:29-30

In other words, besides hitting Jesus with their hands, the soldiers took a stick and drove the crown of thorns deeper into His skull. Later, of course, Pilate discovered that all this shameful abuse of Jesus did not slake the bloodthirsty appetite of the Jewish leaders. They still wanted Him dead. To prevent any complaint reaching His superiors, Pilate at last relented and gave Jesus over for crucifixion.

8. Piercing. "But he was wounded for our transgressions" (Isa. 53:5). Authorities agree that the word "wounded" is the passive form of a verb that means "to bore" or "to pierce" .

Jesus suffered many piercing wounds during His ordeal. Stout thorns dug into His skull (Matt. 27:29). Ugly spikes penetrated His hands and feet (John 20:20, 25). After He died, a Roman soldier made sure of His death by thrusting a spear into His side (John 19:34).

9. Disfigurement. "His visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men" (Isa. 52:14). A literal rendering clarifies the meaning. "So (much was) the disfigurement (of) His appearance away from man, and His form from sons of man" (10). In other words, the punishment heaped upon Christ would so disfigure His face and body that He would hardly look human. Another prophecy of Isaiah speaks more plainly of the assaults upon His face.

I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.Isaiah 50:6

The great injury to His visage would therefore be due, at least in part, to the plucking of His beard.

This prophecy could easily have failed of fulfillment, since there are many forms of execution—beheading and hanging, for instance—that do not greatly disfigure the victim's face and body. Yet Jesus' body was mutilated by wound upon wound. He suffered, in succession, the wounds of a beating, of a scourging, of the crown of thorns on his head, of another beating (no doubt accompanied by the plucking of His beard), of bearing the load of a cross for some distance (Mark 15:20-21), of nails through His extremities, of prolonged struggle during crucifixion, and of a spear through His side.

10. Death by capital punishment. "He made his grave with the wicked" (Isa. 53:9). "He hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors" (Isa. 53:12). Thus, in two separate utterances, the prophet foresees that Christ would receive capital punishment for His imagined offenses.Indeed, Jesus died under a judicial sentence of death.

11. Death alongside criminals. The same two utterances imply that Christ would die in the company of other condemned criminals.These utterances were fulfilled when Jesus was crucified along with two others (Luke 23:32-33; John 19:18). On either side of His cross stood a cross bearing a condemned thief.

12. Burial with the rich. "And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death" (Isa. 53:9). The verse reads, literally, "And He put His grave with the wicked; and with a rich (man) in His death" . A shift in midcourse is indicated here. Although Christ would die with the wicked, something would happen so that, in a manner unbefitting His death, He would be buried with the rich.

. Jesus appeals to the Scriptures as validity and proof...

(John 5:39) "Search the Scriptures; (O.T. Scriptures); they are they which testify of me."

(Luke 24:27) "Beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them, in all the Scriptures (O.T.Scriptures) the things concerning himself."

(Luke 24:44) "...all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets and in the Psalms, concerning me".

Jesus says............

.If you want eternal life faith Jesus is the only means.. "Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me" (John 14:6) .............There are no other options

Jesus says........And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. ...He who has the Son has life; HE WHO DOES NOT HAVE THE SON OF GOD DOES NOT HAVE LIFE. [ John 5:11-12 ]...... ..(..Accepting Christ as Lord and Savior requires a personal Choice in a point of time )

Jesus says........In this case NO choice is still a choice,,,,,

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe STANDS CONDEMNED ALREADY because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. [ John 3: 17-18 .............There are no other options

Jesus says........We ( YOU ) Must Receive Christ... Joh 5:39-40 You examine the Scriptures ( Old Testament prophecies ) carefully because you suppose that in them you have eternal life. Yet they testify about me. But you are not willing to come to me to have ( eternal ) life. ..........There are no other options

.......to reject the Salvation found alone in Jesus that persons fate is hell forever.............(..He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power 2 Thess1:6-9 )...

Your eternal destiny hangs in the balance this is not a game.... This is an offer that no one should refuse Jesus said, "repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15). ...You Can Receive Christ Right Now By Faith Through Prayer

Ask God to Forgive you.......Father God........ I confess my sins and repent and I accept your Son Jesus and believe and trust in him alone as My Savior. I open the door of my life and receive my Savior and Lord.Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Make me the kind of person you want me to be."In Jesus name I pray. Amen

........ Warning.............

If you die without believing in Christ, then your fate will be eternally sealed, because belief in Christ and the gospel must occur on earth before you die (Lk. 16:19-31; Jude 7, 13; 2 Pet. 2:4, 9)..

http://www.soldier4jesus.com/

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

with all due respect--why the long winded religous topic on a dinar investment site ?---curious blink.gif

Just thought some people would like to know that the coming of Jesus was prophesied 700 years before his birth. A besides, this isn't near as long winded as some of the false rumors I read. biggrin.gif

• Upvote 7

HEY GUYS AND GALS--Look at it this way----If you met me and never saw me again you LOST NOTHING--If you havent met JESUS and dont care you have LOST EVERYTHING-----Ihope this answers the question why do we talk about a man called JESUS- GOD,s Son. Who also is in the family of the Holy Spirit. The 3 in 1- Father -Son -Holy Spirit... So thats the way it works--Keep your eyes on Israel. GOD Bless and i hope ya,ll are going to the house of the Lord on Sunday- Yup im a Sunday kinda person :) Blessings Vern

Edited by vern
  • Upvote 2

John 15:18-19

If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you.

If you were of the world, the world would love his own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Sure am glad that I chose to follow Jesus after He chose me. I could be one that did not follow and held on the this grossly dark and certainly fleeting world, system, or government we are stuck in for a season. This is NOT my home I am simply passing through. Thank God.

• Upvote 3

the christian god drowns babies.

Our enviroment is not Utopia and was NEVER meant to be, We have heaven.

Heaven on earth shall come someday, until it does , tragedy will persist as it has for Thousands of years.

Edited by estephan
  • Upvote 1

My God does NOT drown babies!!! Maybe your god does but not mine!!! Why are you so bitter?

Explain the great flood and sodom. GOD most definately kills babies if you believe the bible

Our enviroment is not Utopia and was NEVER meant to be, We have heaven.

Heaven on earth shall come someday, until it does , tragedy will persist as it has for Thousands of years.

Where is heaven exactly? where is hell?

Accidents are a tragedy.... drowning babies is evil.... but yet god destroyed the earth and millions on innocent children with his mythical flood

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheThinkingAtheist#p/u/5/CccaGaKOlSI

My God does NOT drown babies!!! Maybe your god does but not mine!!! Why are you so bitter?

logical not bitter

• Downvote 1

Explain the great flood and sodom. GOD most definately kills babies if you believe the bible

What you don't understand is that instead of God forcing these little ones to live a full life with a chance of never coming to know him, he's given them a Heaven is free card right up front. No chance of being sacrificed by their parents, no chance of starvation, no chance of being sexually abused, no chance of being sold into slavery, etc... God is saving them from the Evil in the world.

What better thing is that???

Answer: There is nothing better than being in the presence of God Almighty. wink.gif

• Upvote 1

What you don't understand is that instead of God forcing these little ones to live a full life with a chance of never coming to know him, he's given them a Heaven is free card right up front. No chance of being sacrificed by their parents, no chance of starvation, no chance of being sexually abused, no chance of being sold into slavery, etc... God is saving them from the Evil in the world.

What better thing is that???

Answer: There is nothing better than being in the presence of God Almighty. wink.gif

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard....

I'm gonna start killing babies in somalia to save them from their terrible lives

you are a complete quack

Edited by Drunken Irish
  • Downvote 2

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard....

I'm gonna start killing babies in somalia to save them from their terrible lives

you are a complete quack

If you had read the link about "What happens to Children and Infants whent hey die" that I posted above it would have given you a better explanation. Don't let Satan cause you to be so small minded that you can't see the truth. smile.gif

• Upvote 1

If you had read the link about "What happens to Children and Infants whent hey die" that I posted above it would have given you a better explanation. Don't let Satan cause you to be so small minded that you can't see the truth. smile.gif

being christain is by definition being small minded.

logic and christains don't mix

watch this video and if you still believe in the flood then you need your head examined

if the flood story is not true and adam eve didn't populate the earth thru incest........ then the bible is useless

Where is heaven exactly? where is hell?

Accidents are a tragedy.... drowning babies is evil.... but yet god destroyed the earth and millions on innocent children with his mythical flood

logical not bitter

Drunken Irish - God destroyed during the flood because man had become so evil! He started all over but gave us the rainbow to promise He would not destroy the earth again with water. You can not take stuff out of the Old Testament apart from the New Testament. It is the whole Bible! He always give a nation a space to repent . . . He allowed the Israelites to destroy evil people because He said, Lest your own land become polluted.

• Upvote 1

watch this video and if you still believe in the flood then you need your head examined

if the flood story is not true and adam eve didn't populate the earth thru incest........ then the bible is useless

The Bible was never meant to be "Logical". It's more of a faith thing. To please God it says you have to have faith, not be logical. Wither you believe or not does not matter. The study of what was (archeology) has proven the Bible to be right 99% of the time. Your views of Science and life are based on theories only, that have to be proped up with other theories. I would say to you to go and research this but, it would do you no good. Cause yes you guessed it, you got to have faith to see. To have faith you have to believe. For God Himself is the author of all our faith. So for you to say Christains are not logical, you are correct. For we believe in things we can not see or explain. Think about it, do you want a God that can be explained and totally understood? He would no longer be God! There is one who tried to take God's position, but he also lacked the full understanding of God. He is still trying to this day take God's position away from Him. He does this by attacking our faith in God. All of this is already know to you, but what frightens you the most it seems is the simple truth.... That God is. To fight this knowledge that is freely given to us all through nature around us is extremely difficult. You have to believe that theories are facts and not just theories given by someone who like yourself could not contain or explain God and His many ways.

One day this will all be revealed to you and us all, wither we are ready or not. And no we don't know why God allows thing to happen. We have to have faith in Him. God's plan is the only thing that will last and the only thing we as Christains can count on. Using faith. :D

Edited by the next contestant
  • Upvote 1

http://www.youtube.c...u/5/CccaGaKOlSI

LOL! I watched that video. You mean to tell me that you're betting your soul and spending an eternity in hell on stupid videos like that??? If it was my soul, I'd be spending my time reading the Bible and trying to discover the truths in it, rather than trying to debunk something no one's been able to do. Really, if you athiests, buddist, or other religions had "proof" Christianiaty was fake and God "doesn't" exist, you would think after 2000 years you could have found something, but the reverse is true; science is catching up with the Truth and proving the Historical Record of the Bible.

-