Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq subscribes to HCOC

k98nights

Iraq subscribes to HCOC

Politics 9/15/2010 10:15:00 PM

UNITED NATIONS, Sept 15 (KUNA) -- Iraq informed the Security Council that it has subscribed to the Hague Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation (HCOC) on August, in an attempt to convince the members to lift the remaining sanctions on scientific equipment badly needed for its agricultural sector.

Annexed to a note verbale circulated on Wednesday from the Iraqi Mission to the UN and sent to the Security Council President, was a letter from Florence Mangin of France, the incumbent Chairman of the Hague Code, congratulating Iraq for its action and stating that it is a "good example" to follow.

Iraq announced officially early August, that it had subscribed to the HCOC.

"This is a particularly important decision for (Iraq) and for the international community as a whole, because it contributes directly to the enhancement of collective security," Mangin said in his letter to the Iraqi Government.

By becoming the 131st State to subscribe to the Code, he added, Iraq also serves as a "good example for other States that have not yet subscribed to a multilateral instrument whose universal adoption is a major priority for its full effectiveness".

Iraq told the Council earlier this year that it had complied with all relevant resolutions related to weapons of mass destruction and has been trying to convince the members to lift sanctions on scientific equipment badly needed for its agricultural and other sectors.

The council has not decided yet when to move on the issue, even though the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) confirmed earlier this year that Iraq's cooperation with its inspectors is "excellent".

Those sanctions date back to the 1990 Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. (end) sj.mao KUNA 152215 Sep 10NNNN

http://www.kuna.net.kw/NewsAgenciesPublicSite/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2111317&Language=en

• Upvote 2

I think we are missing something here......................they seem to be signing-off on a lot of agreements without a government in place.

I thought caretaker government's are only supposed to keep the status quo and not actually make any future decisions for Iraq.

I smell a big ROTTEN FISH here somewhere.

I think we are missing something here......................they seem to be signing-off on a lot of agreements without a government in place.

I thought caretaker government's are only supposed to keep the status quo and not actually make any future decisions for Iraq.

Perhaps (????????) there is a government????????[/b]

It's your feet...

cool-fish-slippers.jpg

EEEEWWWWW those are some nasty fin flops..lol

Funny you should say that, here is a UN Document (N1046402) from the United Nations Website dated July 29, 2010

58. Another matter that requires urgent attention is the need for the new

Government of Iraq to do its utmost to fulfil its outstanding obligations under

Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations, in particular issues related to

Kuwait, as soon as possible. In this regard, I once again call on Iraq to confirm its

commitment to Security Council resolution 883 (1993) and its land and maritime

borders with Kuwait. It is also essential that progress be made with respect to the Iraq-

Kuwait Boundary Maintenance Project and missing Kuwaiti nationals and properties.

I consider that such actions would encourage the Security Council to review my report

submitted in July 2009 pursuant to Council resolution 1859 (2008) and to consider the

steps that need to be taken for the full normalization of Iraq’s international status. In

this regard, I strongly encourage Iraq’s neighbours to make it a priority to engage

the new Government of Iraq in addressing issues of mutual concern. Such efforts

could go a long way in bringing greater stability to the region as a whole.

59. A major challenge facing the new Government

will be accelerating the pace of

development and reconstruction in the country, as articulated in the National

Development Plan. The recent unrest in Basra over electricity shortages and the lack

of potable water underscore the urgent need for an improvement in the delivery of

essential services and the creation of jobs. Through a concerted commitment by the

Government, the United Nations and the international community, I am confident that

there can emerge a harmonized and coordinated effort to meet the needs of the Iraqi

people, in the spirit of the Millennium Development Goals and the Paris Declaration. I

would also like to stress that the development priorities identified in the United

Nations Development Assistance Framework and continuing humanitarian response

programmes, including vital assistance to refugees and internally displaced persons,

will inevitably require more resources from international donors in addition to the

substantial contributions already being made by the Government of Iraq.