Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Dems hope to turn refugee debate into gun debate

730x420-c678a3d2c40d457b3ffed71b65a53156
"I think this is a no-brainer," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., the sponsor of the bill. "If you're too dangerous to board a plane, you're too dangerous to buy a gun." (Examiner File Photo/Graeme Jennings)

By SUSAN FERRECHIO (@SUSANFERRECHIO)  11/22/15 12:01 AM

Democrats are pressuring Republicans to pass legislation blocking gun and explosives purchases for anyone suspected of being a terrorist, and are threatening to attach that language on a bill imposing new conditions on the entry of Syrian refugees.

Both Republicans and some Democrats have historically resisted passing gun control measures. But the renewed Democratic pressure comes in the wake of the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris, where terrorists used guns and explosives to kill at least 129 people and injure more than 180.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., turned up the heat on Republicans Friday, a day after the House passed legislation halting Syrian and Iraqi refugees from entering the country unless they clear an elevated vetting process by federal intelligence officials. Most Democrats opposed the bill, but 47 voted in favor of it.

The Senate could take up the House-passed refugee bill as early as the week of Nov. 30. At that point, Democrats will likely try to attach the gun control provision as an amendment, although it will be up to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., to decide whether he'll allow it.

It's a potentially tough choice for McConnell, since rejecting the language would likely prompt Democrats to block the bill. And some think including the gun language might even win some GOP votes.

"As we speak, a terrorist on the FBI's terror watch list can walk into a gun show in your hometown and buy as many AK-47s and explosives as they need to commit the kind of mass, heinous slaughter of innocents we witnessed in Paris and which we know terrorists want to perpetrate here in America," Reid said Friday.

"I think this is a no-brainer," said the sponsor of the bill, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. "If you're too dangerous to board a plane, you're too dangerous to buy a gun."

Feinstein first introduced the measure in February and it included an influential GOP co-sponsor, Rep. Peter King, who represents part of Long Island, New York.

Other than King, who is a former Homeland Security Committee chair, Republicans leaders have so far dodged questions about the bill.

At a press conference, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he didn't know anything about the measure. In the House, House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., wouldn't say whether he would back the bill when a reporter asked him about it. A special House task force, he answered, would consider "all suggestions by members of Congress," about how to prevent terrorism from migrating to the United States.

The Feinstein legislation would give the Justice Department the power to prevent a "known or suspected terrorist" from buying guns or explosives. Those banned would include anyone on the U.S. government's consolidated terrorism watchlist, which was created in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

While the bill might seem poised to enjoy wide bipartisan support, the NRA strongly opposes the bill, arguing that it would sweep in people who are under investigation but not declared a security risk. The watchlist itself has come under frequent criticism from watchdog and civil liberties groups who say it often includes innocent people.

Audits of the list have found a high error rate that has swept in thousands of people who do not pose a security risk, including small children and public figures. An NRA official said federal law enforcement agents are already automatically alerted when people on the terror watchlist try to purchase a gun with a required background check.

"The NRA does not want terrorists or dangerous people to have firearms," NRA spokeswoman Jennifer Baker told the Washington Examiner. "Our only objective is to ensure Americans who are wrongly on the list are afforded their constitutional rights to due process."

But gun control advocates point out that there is no law prohibiting someone on the watch list from buying a gun if they have no other factors standing in the way. They say Republicans in Congress are ducking consideration of the bill because of the NRA's opposition.

"This is a time when I think that vote would be much more costly, politically, for Republicans," Ladd Everitt, spokesman for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, told the Examiner. "Both McConnell and Ryan know their caucuses probably do not want anything to do with this legislation and will do everything they can to prevent a vote on it."

Everitt said if the provision ever makes it to the floor for a vote, "I think it's very possible they can get some Republicans." And with terrorism fears on the rise, a top Democratic Senate aide noted that this time around, "public pressure will be different."

• Upvote 2

This is a person who carries for protection. These people will come at gun control from every angle. If there's one thing you learn from the moment you take up a firearm, you are taught; gun control means using BOTH hands.

She needs to focus on other things than trying to take our firearms away . . . 

• Upvote 2

This is a person who carries for protection. These people will come at gun control from every angle. If there's one thing you learn from the moment you take up a firearm, you are taught; gun control means using BOTH hands.

She needs to focus on other things than trying to take our firearms away . . .

Yes she does 10.......like not bringing them here at all !

Thanks Yota !

• Upvote 3

"As we speak, a terrorist on the FBI's terror watch list can walk into a gun show in your hometown and buy as many AK-47s and explosives as they need to commit the kind of mass, heinous slaughter of innocents we witnessed in Paris and which we know terrorists want to perpetrate here in America," Reid said Friday.

What gun show can they go into and buy explosives at? More misinformation being put out by the dems.

They will stop at nothing to take them away from us. Try to cause fear with the non gun owners and uninformed. I will give mine up, starting with the bullets first, one at a time.

• Upvote 1

What gun show can they go into and buy explosives at? More misinformation being put out by the dems.

They will stop at nothing to take them away from us. Try to cause fear with the non gun owners and uninformed. I will give mine up, starting with the bullets first, one at a time.

They must be talking about gun powder 8th.  You can buy both smokless and black powder at most gun shows. But your all absolutely right this is another attack on the second amendment. They are just taking a different approach. Also the AKs used in Paris were full auto i believe. 

• Upvote 1

////

***  dem dumb Dems already generated a list of who in this Republic they

consider to be a "terrorist", remember...?...  <_<

and they spelled it out clearly enough:

Patriots, Tea Party members, Republicans, Independents, FreeMen, Preppers, anyone on

The NRA Mailing List, United States Military Veterans, Christians, et al...

We all know what she and her evil ilk are up to with this.... <_< 

• Upvote 1

They must be talking about gun powder 8th.  You can buy both smokless and black powder at most gun shows. But your all absolutely right this is another attack on the second amendment. They are just taking a different approach. Also the AKs used in Paris were full auto i believe. 

They must be talking about powder Dog. I know I am always looking for good deals of it at the shows. Maybe we should ban Bass Pro and Cabelas. I can get it there too, don't need a gun show. But I think reid was trying to make it sound as though I could go get C4 and and hand grenades at the gun shows. I believe you were right about the Paris AK's used. I forgot to mention that. Oh, aren't those (full-auto AK's) already controlled here in the US?

I am getting so tired and fed up with all of these left wing democrats that think they know what is best for me. Its time to put them on a boat or on their own island.

• Upvote 2