Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Baltimore protests turn into riots as mayor declares state of emergency

umbertino

• Fires, smashed cars and attacks on officers after Freddie Gray funeral
  •  
  • National guard on the streets and mayor declares week-long curfew

Jon Swaine, Ben Jacobs and Paul Lewis in Baltimore

Tuesday 28 April 2015 09.06 BST

Troops from the US national guard began rolling into Baltimore in armoured vehicles after violent clashes, looting and fires led city authorities to declare a week-long curfew banning people from the streets at night.

At least 27 people were arrested after intense rioting broke out following the funeral service for Freddie Gray, a young black man who died last week of injuries sustained after his arrest. Fifteen police officers were injured in Monday night’s unrest, six of them seriously, according to chiefs.

Young people began hurling bricks and bottles at police in riot gear soon after Gray was buried in the afternoon. Shops in the Mondawmin mall were looted and police cars were set on fire and smashed – one while an officer remained seated inside.

“This is not protesting, this is not your first amendment rights, this is just criminal activity,” said police commissioner Anthony Batts, declaring he was “supremely disappointed in what’s happened in our beautiful city”.

Repeatedly condemning the rioters as “thugs”, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said a city-wide curfew between 10pm and 5am would be imposed for a week beginning on Tuesday night.

As the chaotic scenes unfolded there was an appeal for calm from Gray’s family. “I think the violence is wrong,” his twin sister, Fredericka, said late on Monday.

Gray, 25, died in hospital on 19 April, a week after he sustained a broken neck and lapsed into a coma. He had been arrested a week earlier, having been chased by officers for “catching the eye” of a lieutenant and running away. A knife was found in his pocket. Six officers have been suspended and a criminal inquiry into Gray’s death is under way.

His funeral on Monday was followed by violent scenes. Crowds were shot at by police using teargas grenades, so-called “less lethal” bullets and pepper balls, which explode to release an irritant.

Passersby and reporters were among those struck. At least one officer was seen throwing a brick back at protesters.

Maryland governor Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency, activating the state’s 5,000 national guard personnel with an executive order declaring the need “to protect the lives and property of citizens”. Batts said the troops would protect buildings. President Barack Obama was briefed on the crisis in Washington by Loretta Lynch, his new attorney general.

As night fell several fires burned across the city. In one instance firefighters trying to extinguish a blaze at a pharmacy were set back by a rioter with a knife who slashed a hose connected to a hydrant.

In east Baltimore flames engulfed a construction project due to become a 60-unit building to house low-income elderly people. City authorities said it was unclear whether the fire was linked to the riots.

Baltimore’s authorities announced that the public school system would be closed on Tuesday, leaving more than 80,000 students without classes to attend amid an atmosphere of seething discontentment with police and the city administration.

Struggling to keep up with events, Mayor Rawlings-Blake said at her own press conference: “I am at a loss for words … It is idiotic to think that by destroying your city you’re going to make life better for anybody.”

Police had put the city on alert earlier on Monday after claiming to have intelligence of a violent threat. Batts explained late in the evening police understood the Bloods, Crips and Black Guerilla Family gangs had met and each pledged to kill a police officer.

However the unrest appeared instead to have been sparked by a younger crowd of high school students left milling around the neighborhood near the site of Gray’s funeral by the cancellation of public transport.

“They thought it was cute to throw cinder blocks at police,” said Batts.

The rioting on Monday night followed scattered vandalism and looting after peaceful protests on Saturday.

Gray’s case is the latest flashpoint for demonstrators who accuse American police of killing young black men without justification. Cellphone video footage showed him being dragged into the police van while yelling in pain. One of his legs appeared limp. However police have indicated his neck was broken after this point, while declining to provide details.

Police chiefs admitted officers failed to provide Gray with medical attention despite his requests and failed to seatbelt him in the van. Past prisoners in Baltimore have described “rough rides” in which police vehicles are seemingly deliberately driven erratically to injure passengers.

Gray travelled with his hands cuffed behind his back and his legs in restraints. A second man was collected by the van during the journey. The man, whose name has not been released, is said to have given police an account of what he saw inside the vehicle.

H-illary Clinton, the former secretary of state and 2016 Democratic presidential hopeful, said in a tweet she was “praying for peace and safety” for all in Baltimore. Clinton described Gray’s death as “a tragedy that demands answers”.

b907230a-6962-4c59-b4eb-6510053bd896-620

Baltimore firefighters battle a blaze at *** and Chester Streets. Photograph: Jerry Jackson/Zuma Press/Corbis

1000.jpg

Baltimore police officers detain a demonstrator after clashes with police. Photograph: Jose Luis Magana/AP

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/27/baltimore-police-protesters-violence-freddie-gray

'This is not the justice we seek': sorrow in Baltimore as grief turns into riots

Amid fires and looting, some say protesters are hurting their own community but others believe unrest after custody death of Freddie Gray is just the beginning

Paul Lewis, Jon Swaine and Ben Jacobs in Baltimore

Tuesday 28 April 2015 09.17 BST

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/28/baltimore-riots-fires-reaction-looting-protesters-hurt-community-unrest-just-beginning

***///

If it was a bunch of white folks carrying on like this, hobummer would've already

declared Martial Law and begun hauling 'em off to the FEMA camps.... <_<

That message was clearly let outta the bag by the city's mayor, when she implied

they get a pass to do as they please because society owes them... <_<

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

***///

If it was a bunch of white folks carrying on like this, hobummer would've already

declared Martial Law and begun hauling 'em off to the FEMA camps.... <_<

That message was clearly let outta the bag by the city's mayor, when she implied

they get a pass to do as they please because society owes them... <_<

please, for once, don't turn this into another obama hate speech.  what is happening in baltimore is a travesty.  a man murdered by authorities for "catching their eye" with nothing but a pocket knife in his pants.  a city so frustrated with the justice system that it is resulting in pandemonium.  and now reports are that prominent gangs are banding together to begin targeting the police.  

we need to pray.  we need to ask God to intervene because where this might go is frightening.  we have read about it daily in iraq with shia vs sunni.  we don't want that here in our nation, but it is a possibility unless God intervenes and brings peace.  

PLEASE pray!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

please, for once, don't turn this into another obama hate speech.  what is happening in baltimore is a travesty.  a man murdered by authorities for "catching their eye" with nothing but a pocket knife in his pants.  a city so frustrated with the justice system that it is resulting in pandemonium.  and now reports are that prominent gangs are banding together to begin targeting the police.  

we need to pray.  we need to ask God to intervene because where this might go is frightening.  we have read about it daily in iraq with shia vs sunni.  we don't want that here in our nation, but it is a possibility unless God intervenes and brings peace.  

PLEASE pray!

I too hope it can be resolved without further bloodshed.

In a city where they have a black mayor a black chief of police

the police dept is comprised of 56% black. 

Why are they having such a tough time figuing out what the hell happened to that boy.

He didnt break his own neck that much is certain. Until some type of justice for this young man comes to light. Im thinking

the violence will just continue.  I do not agree with mob rule, arson , destruction of private property  or looting.

It takes away from the legitimate protest in regards to this young man. 

• Upvote 4

Why are they having such a tough time figuing out what the hell happened to that boy.

I sure they know exactly what happened ...... but nobody wants to go to jail for it or they think the killing was justified and their not stating that to the public.

anyway I really should stay out of topics like this, I know very little about whats going on over there and i'm sure to offend someone if I keep typing.

Hate begets hate; violence begets violence;

toughness begets a greater toughness. We must

meet the forces of hate with the power of love...

Our aim must never be to defeat or humiliate the 

man, but to win his friendship and understanding

-- Dr King

Edited by The Machine
  • Upvote 6

I do not agree with mob rule, arson , destruction of private property  or looting.  It takes away from the legitimate protest in regards to this young man. 

amen, my friend.  mob rule is one of the greatest fears to any community - emotional justice that cannot be satiated.  it is just a sad situation all the way around.

• Upvote 3

I hope and pray reason and common sense will prevail upon everybody......

I'm sending over a big brotherly hug to all my brothers and sisters...white, black, hispanic, native americans, oriental...all

If I only had a really powerful magic wand...Darn...It is frustrating

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

Thanks umbertino...It's a grand plot something that was cantered into our society through entitlement...Standards were lowered with liberal consequences that's developed a stage of baselessness...Our enter-city gangs, Crips n Bloods are now apart of the community-organizers agendas...These are the pre-cursers to applying ''Marshall Law''...there'll be other staged demonstration to refine this simple fact that's been distorted...People can be manipulated by their selfish emotions and trained to react in a calculated response...Just like trainin' any animal, it take a little baitin' to get them to jump through hoops... Obama is not smart enough to scheme such a grand display of anarchy...Zero's only a hand carved idol, sculptured for the masses for the continuation of the destruction of America from within....       

• Upvote 2

***///

TRINITY:

hobummer set the precedent to re-ignite racism on a grand scale with purpose and intent.

he has done nothing to mitigate the result of his personal hate for The United States and her people.

This lies squarely on him.

We agree the man should not have died. The vandalism, looting, violence is not about him.

This is about intentional lack of leadership encouraging those who ARE TOLD BY A RADICAL ACTIVIST COMMUNITY ORGANISER

THEY HAVE A BEEF and to react.

So, yes, this IS another hobummer hate speech -- it's about HIS HATE.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Strong Black community organizers is exactly what this situation requires.....the type of people with strong moral fiber and exceptional work ethic.  People who raised their children to rely on themselves for all they have and they will want out of life.....God fearing people who love their fellow man for being human, colorless or better yet....colorful.  It will take these kinds of people to reign in the lawless, simply because it's the right thing to do.  There is not a shred of doubt in my mind these types of people exist within the black communities of America.  As these situations keep festering across the country, eventually the cream of the crop will rise to the surface.  This is my hope and as always, only my opinion.  

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 6

***///

TRINITY:

hobummer set the precedent to re-ignite racism on a grand scale with purpose and intent.

he has done nothing to mitigate the result of his personal hate for The United States and her people.

This lies squarely on him.

We agree the man should not have died. The vandalism, looting, violence is not about him.

This is about intentional lack of leadership encouraging those who ARE TOLD BY A RADICAL ACTIVIST COMMUNITY ORGANISER

THEY HAVE A BEEF and to react.

So, yes, this IS another hobummer hate speech -- it's about HIS HATE.

You might want to cash that Fox News commission check before it bounces......maybe you could use the money to.......get a grip.   :rolleyes: 

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I too hope it can be resolved without further bloodshed.

In a city where they have a black mayor a black chief of police

the police dept is comprised of 56% black. 

Why are they having such a tough time figuring out what the hell happened to that boy.

He didn't break his own neck that much is certain. Until some type of justice for this young man comes to light. I'm thinking

the violence will just continue.  I do not agree with mob rule, arson , destruction of private property  or looting.

It takes away from the legitimate protest in regards to this young man. 

Dang good question Dog...Like Machine said they must know exactly what happened by now.

I agree with you too about the mob rule and the destruction, that is counter productive to a legitimate protest...

although it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to predict this happening if they didn't respond with some arrests

or an explanation of why there have been none.

Strong Black community organizers is exactly what this situation requires.....the type of people with strong moral fiber and exceptional work ethic.  People who raised their children to rely on themselves for all they have and they will want out of life.....God fearing people who love their fellow man for being human, colorless or better yet....colorful.  It will take these kinds of people to reign in the lawless, simply because it's the right thing to do.  There is not a shred of doubt in my mind these types of people exist within the black communities of America.  As these situations keep festering across the country, eventually the cream of the crop will rise to the surface.  This is my hope and as always, only my opinion.  

GO RV, then BV

Thank You Shabs...love the "colorful" portion...Great Post!!!

I believe that too and that is my hope for people of all colors.

''Shabi''...I like your post that didn't involve the retaliation on Sgt's Gals...The Black leaders that are fighting to regain their neighborhoods needs the backing and support of outside contributors ... Dr. Ben Carlson and Con. Allen West are among the people that come to mine in reference to leaders that have a vision for everyone not just blacks...Color has had its play and should be apart of history that this nation has overcome...We still can redeem the schemes that threaten to tear this nation apart on pity ignorance...Example by leadership...Mentor that prove any goal can be obtained through...''Integrity''...To have leaders that earned there spot at the head of the table...that've (sorry Jaygo) paid their dues in real world situations and were not placed or given the cardinals to obtain their position of the elite...I believe now than ever, especially with the questionable ''two'' terms this present administration has demonstrated needs a person of integrity in the spot-light...America needs to put our best foot forward to prove an intellectual point...not to justify some emotional ''White Guilt'' issue...    

just to help people understand some of the frustration facing the black community.  we are at a point where people feel that there is no remedy.....a sense of hopelessness in the judicial system.  people feel that anyone of us can be detained, sent off somewhere, killed, and when it lands in court the judge will rule that no one is accountable.  that justice in america is not blind.  this is the issue many are internalizing right now.  

so what do you do when you feel that there is no remedy?  that you cannot turn to the judicial system for retribution?  it is the breeding ground for mob rule.  not good.  add to that the recent judicial decision to allow robert bates, reservist who killed an unarmed man, to vacation in the bahamas amidst the hoopla surrounding his error.   and it sends a very strong but negative message.

like others are saying.  in this case it is really going to take strong voices from black leadership to help inject peace.  and i believe peace will happen.  black people are apt to hear and follow leadership from the church and its respected leaders.  

now MY personal issue (although no one asked me  :eyebrows:  ) is beyond race and more about the militarization of the police force.  america is seeing the lid come off of a bigger can of worms that should alarm everyone, the erosion of constitutional rights of american citizens.  what scared me most was when katrina hit and the military went door to door collecting our firearms.  i encourage us all to look past race and see what is trending.  if they can flat out murder a man for carrying a pocket knife, your demise is not too far away.  

"First They Came for the Jews"

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me

Edited by TrinityeXchange
  • Upvote 3

just to help people understand some of the frustration facing the black community.  we are at a point where people feel that there is no remedy.....a sense of hopelessness in the judicial system.  people feel that anyone of us can be detained, sent off somewhere, killed, and when it lands in court the judge will rule that no one is accountable.  that justice in america is not blind.  this is the issue many are internalizing right now.  

so what do you do when you feel that there is no remedy?  that you cannot turn to the judicial system for retribution?  it is the breeding ground for mob rule.  not good.  add to that the recent judicial decision to allow robert bates, reservist who killed an unarmed man, to vacation in the bahamas amidst the hoopla surrounding his error.   and it sends a very strong but negative message.

like others are saying.  in this case it is really going to take strong voices from black leadership to help inject peace.  and i believe peace will happen.  black people are apt to hear and follow leadership from the church and its respected leaders.  

now MY personal issue (although no one asked me  :eyebrows:  ) is beyond race and more about the militarization of the police force.  america is seeing the lid come off of a bigger can of worms that should alarm everyone, the erosion of constitutional rights of american citizens.  what scared me most was when katrina hit and the military went door to door collecting our firearms.  i encourage us all to look past race and see what is trending.  if they can flat out murder a man for carrying a pocket knife, your demise is not too far away.  

"First They Came for the Jews"

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me

Bingo Kiddo

and what a great way for the GOVT to get the ball rolling

Divide and conquer

Big inner citys seem to be the driving force in a lot of this.

You watch the footage and its mostly Kids , teenagers you see raising hell.

I cant imagine trying to raise a kid in that type of environment.

But if you ask me I dont really see a remedy in all this till

the black inner city see that they have been lied to by the very people

they vote for. education and hard work is the answer here.

and as long as the democrats keep handing out the goodies

the population will keep depending on the GOVT for their solutions rather then taking the initiative to

find the solutions for themselves.  

The chains of bondage are not always made of steel.

• Upvote 6

gray-record.jpgYeah real sweet innocent kid here.

what kid is innocent these days.

Even with that rap sheet he still does not deserve to have his neck broke.

He`s typical of inner city youth

who thinks the fast money is easier then a education and a job. 

very misguided young men who if left to go in that direction become dangerous young men. 

BUT no you cant just kill them this country is based on laws and everyone should be subject to those laws

black, white, brown , and yellow   

• Upvote 5

***///

TRINITY -- the "frustration of the Black community" is exactly what hobummer counts on do do his dirty work.

he has USED the Black community to his benefit since he was indoctrinated years ago.

he counts on ignorance, frustration, hate and a twisted sense of 'justice' to accomplish his mission.

Anybody who fails to hear his own words, does not recognize the danger in his action (or lack thereof) is exactly

the kind of dupe he and his kind feed off....

We will continue to speak out about his brand of injustice and his twisted idea of what This Republic is supposed to look

like in his and his ilks' eyes.

• Upvote 5

Dog you are on fire today.  I am in agreement to much of what you are saying. 

It wasn't so long ago that I was a kid.  Never had I had a rap sheet.  He is not ignorant to the law.  I am SURE he was aggressive to the officers who felt that they were in danger.  He brought this on himself.

i don't even have the energy to dispel this, but please do a bit of reading and video watching before you interject an opinion if you expect us to respect your response.

Where has it been proven,that the Police killed this guy.. :shrug: ...

yes, when he entered the police truck he was speaking and cognitive.  when they delivered him, he was in a coma with a severed spinal cord and a crushed voicebox.  everybody is wondering what happened to him between the time he entered custody and the time he arrived for processing.

by the way i disagree with the police releasing information into the public on victims that was never requested in a stunt to sway public opinion.  i could care less that a person have a rap sheet for peddling drugs.  the police cannot act as public executioner.  this is not the 1400's!  yes, arrest the guy and allow for the judicial system to operate, but you cannot act in all capacities of justice.  when you do it, you send a message to all law abiding citizens that our constitutional rights are worth no more than what you allow it.  i will not stand for that!  the minute you do this, you change america for good.  we are now in hitler germany and operate under the "communist manifesto".  

Edited by TrinityeXchange
  • Upvote 3

It wasn't so long ago that I was a kid.  Never had I had a rap sheet.  He is not ignorant to the law.  I am SURE he was aggressive to the officers who felt that they were in danger.  He brought this on himself.

Well Im glad your sure. But since you were not there im thinking you know about as much as I know about it. 

Its been a long time since I was a kid . But I can still remember selling pot in the 60`s and getting busted for it.

I wasnt really a bad kid I just like to smoke for free. No hardened criminal here. Glad you were a good kid

but a lot of us were not. But we grew up and met our responsibility's moved on raised family's. 

and left those kid days behind us. But when you somehow wind up dead as a kid you dont never get the chance to straighten out.

You have your opinion I have mine. Its all good Mr Botzwanna

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 5

Well Im glad your sure. But since you were not there im thinking you know about as much as I know about it. 

Its been a long time since I was a kid . But I can still remember selling pot in the 60`s and getting busted for it.

I wasnt really a bad kid I just like to smoke for free. No hardened criminal here. Glad you were a good kid

but a lot of us were not. But we grew up and met our responsibility's moved on raised family's. 

and left those kid days behind us. But when you somehow wind up dead as a kid you dont never get the chance to straighten out.

You have your opinion I have mine. Its all good Mr Botzwanna

i shall blot out the sun shooting plusses at you!

• Upvote 3