Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq denied access to WTO

vomer

Quote:
"most of the laws of economics / law protect the product and the consumer protection law and the law of the local market prices fixed / and activation of the customs tariff law by partial /, is wide open, which caused the exclusion of Iraq to join the World Trade Organization."

These are what we have been watching for and what is needed for Full Accession:

Economic Reform Law

Protection of Produces

Consumer Protection

Luxury Tariffs (implemented, but not what it takes for what we/they need to see a change in the exchange rate)

None-Essential Tariffs (a sign that currency reform is real close) 

Essential Tariffs (MUST HAVE CURRENCY REFORM BEFORE THIS ONE IS IMPLEMENTED)

• Upvote 2

I would not say they were "denied".  They just won't be ready until 2016.

Reports Trade: We will complete the procedures to join the "WTO" in 2016
3940EDC2-3EEE-468B-9FC0-E95ADC54317F_w26 A map showing the status of the world in the World Trade Organization

14/05/2013

Ministry of Commerce revealed that the year 2016 will see the completion of procedures for Iraq's accession to the World Trade Organization "WTO", as economists predicted that the move to be positive effects will stimulate trade in Iraq.

The director of the Department of Foreign Economic Relations and Trade Ministry Hashim Mohammed Hatem said negotiations with the World Trade Organization are going well, to complete the conditions of accession to this international institution.

Hatem added in an interview with Radio Free Iraq that Iraq was planning to end the file of accession to the WTO during the year 2016.

For his part, President of the Economic Information Center Dargham Muhammad Ali to enter Iraq WTO will have many benefits Perhaps one of the most important states of mind to which they apply international standards for trade.

And calls on the Iraqi government to take serious steps to support the Iraqi private sector and local industries and the transition to a free market economy before entering the World Trade Organization.

It is said that Iraq is running since 2004 and a member of an observer status in the World Trade Organization.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.iraqhurr.org/content/article/24985895.html&sandbox=0&usg=ALkJrhiFsNPpWD7GjW-YfVwrgM0s0bdS3g

• Upvote 3

Sometimes we get obsessed with certain steps that may take us to an RV or something like it.  Admission into the WTO does not an RV make.   Let's take China for instance; in 1980 they began to open its economy and signed a number of regional trade agreements.  China gained observer status with GATT and from 1986 began working towards joining the WTO.  China attempted to be become a founding member of the WTO seeking recognition as a world economic power.  It failed because the US as well as the European states and Japan requested changes in the Chinese economic policies before they could be accepted.  One of those conditions included "tariff" eductions, open markets and industrial policies.

Accession for China meant that China would engage in global competition according to WTO rules not theirs.  A huge endeavor and achievement from a Chinese perspective to commit to multilateralism. 

The US had great interest in China because it was one of the fastest growing markets of US goods and services.  Interestingly John Huntsman guided China and Tiwan into admission into the WTO.  Anyway China was admitted in 2001.  So from 1983 to 2001 was the length of China's journey to the WTO.  A long time, and a hard work.

Another interesting note, Russia was admitted into the WTO in 2012.  Surprised?  I was.  Russia was the only large economy outside of the WTO after China joined in 2001.  Russia began negotiating to join the WTO in 1993.  The final major point of contention related to the 2008 Russo-Georgian War, which was solved via mediation by Switzerland and Russia became a member of the WTO in 2012.

As we can see the road is long and ardeous, but they will arrive there.  Not to be discouraged, the WTO does not mean an RV, it does mean they are in the global community, a global community which requires rules and as in the case of China, a country cannot make up their own rules.  

Again this means to me more push and pressure to become a member for Iraq.  It appears they do want to be with the big boys and girls by the steps they have taken thus far.  They have more to go, and we all knew that.  No shortcuts here, ever!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_World_Trade_Organization

• Upvote 1

Sometimes we get obsessed with certain steps that may take us to an RV or something like it.  Admission into the WTO does not an RV make.   Let's take China for instance; in 1980 they began to open its economy and signed a number of regional trade agreements.  China gained observer status with GATT and from 1986 began working towards joining the WTO.  China attempted to be become a founding member of the WTO seeking recognition as a world economic power.  It failed because the US as well as the European states and Japan requested changes in the Chinese economic policies before they could be accepted.  One of those conditions included "tariff" eductions, open markets and industrial policies.

Accession for China meant that China would engage in global competition according to WTO rules not theirs.  A huge endeavor and achievement from a Chinese perspective to commit to multilateralism. 

The US had great interest in China because it was one of the fastest growing markets of US goods and services.  Interestingly John Huntsman guided China and Tiwan into admission into the WTO.  Anyway China was admitted in 2001.  So from 1983 to 2001 was the length of China's journey to the WTO.  A long time, and a hard work.

Another interesting note, Russia was admitted into the WTO in 2012.  Surprised?  I was.  Russia was the only large economy outside of the WTO after China joined in 2001.  Russia began negotiating to join the WTO in 1993.  The final major point of contention related to the 2008 Russo-Georgian War, which was solved via mediation by Switzerland and Russia became a member of the WTO in 2012.

As we can see the road is long and ardeous, but they will arrive there.  Not to be discouraged, the WTO does not mean an RV, it does mean they are in the global community, a global community which requires rules and as in the case of China, a country cannot make up their own rules.  

Again this means to me more push and pressure to become a member for Iraq.  It appears they do want to be with the big boys and girls by the steps they have taken thus far.  They have more to go, and we all knew that.  No shortcuts here, ever!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_World_Trade_Organization

Admission into the WTO does not an RV make.

VERY GOOD POINT!

I always consider the source when it comes to dawa and/or national alliance.  They are maliki's boys.  They have been throwing the wrench in all progress, hcl, federal council (NSCP) including the currency change, delete zeros etc etc.  I don't even like reading their pieces.

Actually it is great, more pressure on Iraq.  According to the person, the big kicker was the "partial" enactment of the tariffs. The rest apparently added up but not by the measure of the tariffs.  Having said this, the article to me is more of the person's opinion why Iraq won't be admitted into the WTO, not an official statement by the WTO.  However his assessment is probably correct.

I agree.  This is going to put Iraq on the fast track attitude in what they need to get it done.

I would not say they were "denied".  They just won't be ready until 2016.

Reports Trade: We will complete the procedures to join the "WTO" in 2016
3940EDC2-3EEE-468B-9FC0-E95ADC54317F_w26 A map showing the status of the world in the World Trade Organization

14/05/2013

Ministry of Commerce revealed that the year 2016 will see the completion of procedures for Iraq's accession to the World Trade Organization "WTO", as economists predicted that the move to be positive effects will stimulate trade in Iraq.

The director of the Department of Foreign Economic Relations and Trade Ministry Hashim Mohammed Hatem said negotiations with the World Trade Organization are going well, to complete the conditions of accession to this international institution.

Hatem added in an interview with Radio Free Iraq that Iraq was planning to end the file of accession to the WTO during the year 2016.

For his part, President of the Economic Information Center Dargham Muhammad Ali to enter Iraq WTO will have many benefits Perhaps one of the most important states of mind to which they apply international standards for trade.

And calls on the Iraqi government to take serious steps to support the Iraqi private sector and local industries and the transition to a free market economy before entering the World Trade Organization.

It is said that Iraq is running since 2004 and a member of an observer status in the World Trade Organization.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.iraqhurr.org/content/article/24985895.html&sandbox=0&usg=ALkJrhiFsNPpWD7GjW-YfVwrgM0s0bdS3g

I saw an article last week that said Iraq was not scheduled for WTO until 2016

It seems pretty clear that is the plan relative to the opinion of the people working with the WTO on behalf of Iraq....

And I agree with all those thinking that full WTO membership would not  be the principle driver of an international exchange rate....

If I had to look for one event... and only one event (which seems a bit unwise), I would watch the IMF plans for a regional currency in the GCC, and Iraq's formal membership in the GCC.... The regional currency was supposed to happen in 2010 and was delayed subsequent to the Euro meltdown, to 2015....

I'd watch GCC membership (wherein they talk about actual money values in those reports... )... imo of course...

• Upvote 1

What's GCC?

I think it stands for Gulf Coast Countries.... Its the ME region, which was the second region targeted by the IMF for a regional currency. It was supposed to happen in 2010. The IMF backed off when the Euro melted down and kicked the projection for the ME region currency to 2015.... There are 4 countries in there now.... and they've invited Iraq some years ago to become a full member again.... Not sure if they did or did not.... Have not yet been able to find an IMF document mentioning Iraq as one of the GCC countries, so would have to go in and research that a bit more .... (with lots of time for really dry reading).

• Upvote 1

It seems pretty clear that is the plan relative to the opinion of the people working with the WTO on behalf of Iraq....And I agree with all those thinking that full WTO membership would not  be the principle driver of an international exchange rate.... If I had to look for one event... and only one event (which seems a bit unwise), I would watch the IMF plans for a regional currency in the GCC, and Iraq's formal membership in the GCC.... The regional currency was supposed to happen in 2010 and was delayed subsequent to the Euro meltdown, to 2015....I'd watch GCC membership (wherein they talk about actual money values in those reports... )... imo of course...

I love it when your responses are succinct and to the point. Totally agree

and understand.

• Upvote 1