Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Republicans Reject Obamacare ‘Fix’ Because It Includes Too Many Consumer Protections

Republicans Reject Obamacare ‘Fix’ Because It Includes Too Many Consumer Protections

Republicans used a technicality on Friday to prevent the House of Representatives from considering a measure that would have extended additional consumer protections to beneficiaries who remain in their existing individual health care plans.

Democrats offered their “motion to recommit” as an alternative to a proposal introduced by Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI) that allows insurers to maintain their existing policies and permits issuers to offer these plans to new customers. The Democrats’ version only extends grandfather status to current policyholders who have received cancellation notices and includes consumer protections missing from the Upton bill. For instance, the measure mandates that insurers notify policyholders of exchange options and consumer protections. It also explicitly clarifies that existing rate review authorities apply to renewed plans.

But after Rep. Rob Andrews (D-NJ) introduced the Democrats’ proposal, Upton stood up and objected to the consumer protections contained within it, arguing that they went beyond the scope of his own bill. The chair, Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-KS), then read off the offending provisions and ruled that the proposal was not germane, preventing the House from even considering it:

The amendment proposed in the motion to recommit in pertinent part requires state insurance commissioners to examine notices of health insurance cancellations or conversions. It also addresses the regulation of health insurance rates, specifically the amendment delineates what would constitute inadequate notice of cancellation or conversions of health insurance coverage and directs state insurance commissioners to investigate such cases of inadequate notice. Additionally, it permits the Secretary of Health and Human Services or the relevant state insurance regulator to take corrective actions if health insurance rates are determined to be excessive, unjustified, or discriminatory….
The chair therefore finds that the amendment proposed in the motion to recommit goes beyond the subject matter of the underlying bill. The point of order is it is therefore not germane

Watch it:

Andrews sought to defend his measure ahead of the ruling, arguing that while the Democrats’ proposal includes additional safeguards, it “does not rise to a difference in germaneness.” Although he appealed the chair’s decision, the GOP-controlled House voted against him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Dinar stud....you seem to forget that the president lied in order to get OBAMACARE passed. Remember they had to vote for it to find out what was in it. From the very start they lied and most of the American people knew it and didn't want it....but the dems didn't listen and all of them voted for this TRAIN WRECK. If the dems wanted to protect the citizens they should have thought of that before shoving OBAMACARE down our throats when the majority didn't want it.

• Upvote 5

This bill was introduced because the Dem's are coming up for election and they needed something to show their constituents they tried to make the corrections to Obamacare, but the Republicans wouldn't let them.  They know this bill won't do diddly to fix the problem.  Plus I think Obama wants the exchanges to fail so he can scrap it and go to a single payer system, which is what he wanted in the first place.

-

• Upvote 6

I am small business owner who provides healthcare for my employees .  I am trying to figure out which way to go Group plan or send everyone to the exchange. Since our group plan will no longer exist we need to make a choice soon.  What many do not realize is that it is impossible to make an educated choice as THE NEW TAX CODES ARE NOT AVAILABLE YET!! How the heck are small business's supposed to make a decision?  So without these codes I think we will start a new group plan and go from a PPO to an EPO so my employees will lose their doctors, period end of story.

This will actually be a pay cut for my employees no matter how you look at it. Eiher a lesser plan or they pay for it themselves.

• Upvote 2

I am small business owner who provides healthcare for my employees .  I am trying to figure out which way to go Group plan or send everyone to the exchange. Since our group plan will no longer exist we need to make a choice soon.  What many do not realize is that it is impossible to make an educated choice as THE NEW TAX CODES ARE NOT AVAILABLE YET!! How the heck are small business's supposed to make a decision?  So without these codes I think we will start a new group plan and go from a PPO to an EPO so my employees will lose their doctors, period end of story.

This will actually be a pay cut for my employees no matter how you look at it. Eiher a lesser plan or they pay for it themselves.

There are a lot of business in your shoes.  In fact a friend of mine, closed her doors before this took place.  She wanted to give her employees a head start in finding employment else where.  She just couldn't afford to pay for this and again survive on her own.  The choices that some of these business owners make, are heart breaking.  No one wants to abandon their loyal employees, but it boils down to survival. 

• Upvote 1

As a side note, the government is spying on the citizens of the USA, and even this forum may get you on a black list. That could come into play when the drones are sent out to establish law and order, at the very least don't expect to get approved by a death panel if you should need medical care one day. This is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a communistic government disguised as a democracy. If you cannot see that at this point than you have bought into the lies and deception, there is little that anyone can do to make a horse that is that blind go to the water for a drink. I think it is time to use our energy to gather our thoughts with like minded freedom worshipping people and let go of trying to make the blind horses see, that will come when the country is laying in ruins and the medical care is held for ransom, at a price of personal beliefs and freedom to choose on an individual basis. This great country has been infiltrated from within, it is too late to prevent the substantial damage that has been reeked on the constitutional rights that it was founded on, the question is where to go from here now that infection is starting to seep into the bone marrow? Russia and Chinese military personnel are being invited to operate on American soil, if that does not spell out where this is heading then call me, I have some very attractive real estate in a swampy part of Florida I would like to find the right buyer for.