Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Jesus married to Mary Magdalene

Butifldrm

Nope, you're not leaving much in question.

Best of luck to you.

More assumptions...

Here's a better answer for you Bandit. There's really no other way to put it, and you will either understand it, or not. If not, this is why not.

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I prefer to question everything I'm told, and to try to be as impartial as I can. And verify as far as I could, rather than have blind faith. Blind faith caused those 900 people to drink the koolaid back in Guyana.

Why do you care??? Really?

Because it interests me.

Let me ask you another question. Do you have any burden's that you're carrying with you?

Nope.

Unforgiveness inside you because of what people have done to you?

Nope.

That is just proof?? The wall built by King Herod the same one that ordered to kill John the baptist on behalf of his second wives daughters beheast???

Run that one by me again

I misread his question. He was asking:

Where is the evidence that the people who wrote the books of the New Testament were absolutely 100% sure living in Israel around 30 AD?

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/129085-jesus-married-to-mary-magdalene/page__st__60#ixzz27AhETZ5G

I was interpreting as proof in general of the Jewish People being in Jerusalem around 30 A.D..

-

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

one book i have read through and some believe christians should not but was part of the old testament was the book of Enoch which included in detail the fall of the wicked angels that were sent to earth and mated with mortal women who birthed mighty men (Giants) and roamed the earth very violent and murdering mankind. It was told God sent the great flood because the earth was full of wickedness, black magic from the falen angels teaching mankind how to make weapons and so forth. Even the plant life was hybrid and corrupted with sin and grew enormous in size i must admit its very fascinating book but many didnt think it was wise to put in the new testament for what ever reason and it does read a little scary at times knowing what demons are capable of.

True and i have a copy of the book of Enoch, great stuff indeed, a book that you'll find interesting is the book of Solomon and book of Barnabas to which i have copies as well. I know that one can read any of the lost/hidden/removed books so long as you ask the Most high Elohim to teach you and guide you you have nothing to fear bro. :)

Dog I don't think it would have been a bad thing really but making love is about procreation and assuming Jesus was married and had relations with his wife then I would assume there would have been some procreation and I just don't see how that can fit in anywhere in the plan for human salvation... wasn't that Jesus' sole purpose on this earth?

Thanks Bama for at least responding to my post. Seems you are the only one that would attempt to try. My People were taught by the missionaries that Jesus walk the earth as a man was killed and came back to life as a god of pure light. That it was a light that would shine for eternity and pave a road where others could follow. A true path to heaven. But before he became the healing light he was a man. You said that you just don't see how that can fit in anywhere in the plan for human salvation.. I am still at a loss its hard for me to see why it wouldn't fit. I think sometimes people (not you) know more about scripture then they know about God

• Upvote 1

Thanks Bama for at least responding to my post. Seems you are the only one that would attempt to try. My People were taught by the missionaries that Jesus walk the earth as a man was killed and came back to life as a god of pure light. That it was a light that would shine for eternity and pave a road where others could follow. A true path to heaven. But before he became the healing light he was a man. You said that you just don't see how that can fit in anywhere in the plan for human salvation.. I am still at a loss its hard for me to see why it wouldn't fit. I think sometimes people (not you) know more about scripture then they know about God

That's because there are those who are more interested/concerned about being right instead of what the actual truth is, or could be. They'll the defend the truths of their denominations to the end. Religion replaces, takes the place of the most high, and denominations replace his word.

Without scripture we know nothing of God. God did not leave us to our imagination as we had an evil influence who wanted to be equal to and worshipped as God. Through scripture we learn who God is and what it takes to please Him and what He expects from us. God saw the imagination of mens hearts that it was only evil continually and it repented the Lord that He had made man upon the earth. The Bible teaches us very thouroughly who God is. We are also instructed to not add to or take away from scripture in both old and new testament teachings. The preserved word of God is the only basis we have for truth with a sure knowledge that this is what God wanted preserved. Not what you or I think but what God preserved. . He moved on holy men of old to write the scriptures. God did not leave this to chance. Jesus Himself said that angels were without gender. This so called book of Enoch then becomes false because it does not line up with scripture. Read the above posts and you will find out why this blasphemy of scripture about Mary Magdalene is unfounded garbage too. Men have always wanted to bring God down to their level. The Bible and even nature itself reveals His power and way of thinking is far superior to ours. Science can make a seed with all the componenents but when you plant their seed it does not produce anything. The forces that keep everything in it's place are a true work of a master scientist. The Bible tells us God seperated the waters from the waters which man is just now beginning to think that we may live in a giant bubble. The Bible taught that a long time ago. Men need to quit tampering with their only ability to know God as that will only cause you to believe a lie and be confused. God is not the author of confusion. He is the Author and finisher of our faith. You cannot know God without the scriptures. As Jesus said "Study the scriptures for in them you think you have eternal life and they are they which testify of me".

• Upvote 1

Without scripture we know nothing of God. God did not leave us to our imagination as we had an evil influence who wanted to be equal to and worshipped as God. Through scripture we learn who God is and what it takes to please Him and what He expects from us. God saw the imagination of mens hearts that it was only evil continually and it repented the Lord that He had made man upon the earth. The Bible teaches us very thouroughly who God is. We are also instructed to not add to or take away from scripture in both old and new testament teachings. The preserved word of God is the only basis we have for truth with a sure knowledge that this is what God wanted preserved. Not what you or I think but what God preserved. . He moved on holy men of old to write the scriptures. God did not leave this to chance. Jesus Himself said that angels were without gender. This so called book of Enoch then becomes false because it does not line up with scripture. Read the above posts and you will find out why this blasphemy of scripture about Mary Magdalene is unfounded garbage too. Men have always wanted to bring God down to their level. The Bible and even nature itself reveals His power and way of thinking is far superior to ours. Science can make a seed with all the componenents but when you plant their seed it does not produce anything. The forces that keep everything in it's place are a true work of a master scientist. The Bible tells us God seperated the waters from the waters which man is just now beginning to think that we may live in a giant bubble. The Bible taught that a long time ago. Men need to quit tampering with their only ability to know God as that will only cause you to believe a lie and be confused. God is not the author of confusion. He is the Author and finisher of our faith. You cannot know God without the scriptures. As Jesus said "Study the scriptures for in them you think you have eternal life and they are they which testify of me".

The same men who "removed" books and determined that they were non canon ? No thanks, it was these men that tampered with these books which is why we were to study/read them for ourselves. "And now I know this mystery; that many sinners will alter and distort the words of truth, and speak evil words and lie, and concoct great fabrications, and write books in their own words". Enoch 104 vs 10

• Upvote 1

The Bible also says "let the Word of God be true and let every man be a liar". Let here would describe an individual attitude. You decide what you "let" in your mind. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God" You cannot seperate God from his Word. We are created in the likeness and image of God and we will be judged for every idle word that cometh from our mouths. God just takes us at our word. Let your yes be yes and you no be no. History is informative about what happens when men do that which is right in their own eyes. They build their own kingdoms as they desire and it is always full of evil and despotism. In God's kingdom you can live the way you choose but there are eternal consequences. If you choose to do things your way and not God's way enjoy life on earth to it's fullest because just as sure as God said let there be light and there was light so also shall there be a judgement day and the only fulfillment you will ever have is what you did on this earth. But even then your decisions to disbelieve in God and His revealed and preserved Word and plan will mock you because you did not want to retain God in your knowledge. Just because you don't want to believe in God is no excuse in the end because you had the Bible and could have studied it. "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman who needeth not error rightly dividing the Word of truth". I wish you no good luck in your endeavors to disprove God and the Bible for in the confusion of your own mind you lose your soul and all those that listen to you lose theirs also. What a terrible weight to carry into eternity. For what you would never do to your children you have done to their eternal souls. I pray God have mercy on you and that the light of truth is revealed unto you. For once in your life you are closer to truth than you have ever been.

By the way this so called book of Enoch somehow was preserved through the flood and no other book was? You really believe that garbage. Nothing else was. I feel sorry for you that you would want to believe a misrepresentation of truth that is suspect in every form of truth rather than believe a collection of books and letters that agree and are consistent on every point.

• Upvote 2

It amazes me that the people who dispute the validity of the Bible do so on the grounds that they cannot prove the authors or the time it was written. Some of the earliest records of Jesus outside of the bible itself was in the writings of Josephus who was born in 37AD and the writings of Ireneus in the second century. These, in spite of fact that both authors are considered historically accurate on every other subject, are rejected where the Gospel is concerned because they were written after the fact. And yet now, the very people that would reject other writings of Know origin are willing to accept at face value a single scrap of papyrus written four hundred years after the fact by an unknown author. It is like saying "I don't even think He existed, but if He did, He must have married a prostitute". Everybody can believe whatever they want to, but to me it is not even important if he was married or not. It takes nothing away from who or what He was or what He did.

Roadrunner

Where in the Bible does it say that Mary Magdellan was a prostitute? I believe (can always be corrected with proof) that Mary Magdellan was always a good woman, one who loved and traveled with Jesus, and who He honored in all ways. She was also at His feet with his mother, Mary, when He was crucified. I believe one of the early popes branded Mary Magdellan with the curse of being a prostitute, and it has come down in history as "lore," but is not "Biblical" in any way.

P. S. I respect your knowledge of the Bible, and I trust your words regarding it. Thus, I was struck by this comment from you, which seemed to take the claim of Mary Magdellan as a prostitute at face value.

OH Boo Hoo MSN-Emoticon-cry-207.gifsomeone gave me a -neg!!! Oh Grow up! Not everyone is going to like what you are going to say, get over it, or stop posting. lol-045.gif

-

To be a believer and a follower of Christ, you are being quite harsh toward one of your fellow human beings. I am a bit stunned about that. Umbertino and I have had our differences, but we are not enemies because of it, nor would I ever say anything to disparage him personally, although I disagree with him profoundly regarding his poltics. If you disagree with him regarding his religion, it might behoove you, as a believer in Christ, to be more Christ-like to one of God's other children and your own fellow human being, although you may believe him to be an unenlightened one. :(:wacko::confused::banhammer::butt-kicking::peace:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here is what the Bible says about Mary Magdalene:

9Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils

2And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, 3And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.

It is believed in many circles this was the same woman who washed his feet at a dinner with a pharisee.

36And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. 37And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, 38And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. 39Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.

40And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. 41There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. 42And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? 43Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. 44And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. 45Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. 49And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? 50And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

It is believed this is the same woman caught in the act of adultery:

<< John 8 >>

King James Version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

The actual name is not mentioned and so there is no absolute proof this was the same woman. We only know she had seven devils that were cast out from her for sure. It is commonly believed though that this is the same woman in all these cases. It may not be. It for sure could never be preached as an absolute. Most men I have heard teach on this said it is commonly believed she was one and the same. Again proof of studying God's word is the only way to know an absolute. Thank you Francie. I had to study on this. No person could say she absolutely was the same woman. She was a woman with seven devils.

• Upvote 1

The Bible also says "let the Word of God be true and let every man be a liar". Let here would describe an individual attitude. You decide what you "let" in your mind. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God" You cannot seperate God from his Word. We are created in the likeness and image of God and we will be judged for every idle word that cometh from our mouths. God just takes us at our word. Let your yes be yes and you no be no. History is informative about what happens when men do that which is right in their own eyes. They build their own kingdoms as they desire and it is always full of evil and despotism. In God's kingdom you can live the way you choose but there are eternal consequences. If you choose to do things your way and not God's way enjoy life on earth to it's fullest because just as sure as God said let there be light and there was light so also shall there be a judgement day and the only fulfillment you will ever have is what you did on this earth. But even then your decisions to disbelieve in God and His revealed and preserved Word and plan will mock you because you did not want to retain God in your knowledge. Just because you don't want to believe in God is no excuse in the end because you had the Bible and could have studied it. "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman who needeth not error rightly dividing the Word of truth". I wish you no good luck in your endeavors to disprove God and the Bible for in the confusion of your own mind you lose your soul and all those that listen to you lose theirs also. What a terrible weight to carry into eternity. For what you would never do to your children you have done to their eternal souls. I pray God have mercy on you and that the light of truth is revealed unto you. For once in your life you are closer to truth than you have ever been.

By the way this so called book of Enoch somehow was preserved through the flood and no other book was? You really believe that garbage. Nothing else was. I feel sorry for you that you would want to believe a misrepresentation of truth that is suspect in every form of truth rather than believe a collection of books and letters that agree and are consistent on every point.

This isn't a "so called" book. It is a real book that is actually named The Book of Enoch. And it is clear that you do not feel sorry for him. You are angry with him for posting an opinion that goes against your belief. I value your desire to protect your beliefs. Apparently they are very strong, sturdy ones, and that is good since they serve you well. But just be careful that your anger isn't just a prideful reaction that leads you to post false claims. It's easy to fall into this, and hard to climb back out. But other than that, you build a strong argument for your faith.

Francie if anybody wants to allow or "let" something rule in their mind it is their God given right. The book so called of "Enoch" that I refer to that way is derived first of all from a relationship that we only know about because of the Bible between God and a man called Enoch. ENoch did not write this book I know for a fact. Enoch walked with God and was not for he had this testimony that he pleased the Lord and God took him. Evil men are playing on the relationship this man had with God as a way to discredit the very book that tells of his existence. It is sad. The Bible was not written in chapter and verse it was a collection of books and letters and history and songs and poetical sayings and prophecies. Chapter and verse were added so we could more easily find our place. No book was written in chapter and verse. This is a book no doubt but not a book written by Enoch. Again no books survived the flood. None. Moses was the one who was hidden in the cleft of a rock and God showed Moses His hinder parts. Not his butt but His beginnings. Moses is the one who wrote about the beginnings of God. Moses is the only one who God revealed them to for records sake. Wicked men have used a name of a man who pleased God according to the writings of Moses to try to cast doubt upon the preserved Word of God. Yes I do take issue with that. It is a fictional book written by wicked men to discredit the Word of God.

• Upvote 2

I prefer to question everything I'm told, and to try to be as impartial as I can. And verify as far as I could, rather than have blind faith. Blind faith caused those 900 people to drink the koolaid back in Guyana.

I'm with you on that one DS. lol

What happened in Guyana was the result of blind faith in an imperfect human not blind faith in God...

I just don't think it is suppose to be as confusing as we make it.. Crappiesharks posts are wonderful in this thread, IMO.. reread those posts maybe they'll help you understand a bit!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here is what the Bible says about Mary Magdalene:

9Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils

I believe Jesus also talked the woman who truly was accused of being a prostitute. Jesus shamed the would-be stoners into leaving and then he turned her and asked her a couple questions, following which he said, "Neither do I condemn thee. Go and sin no more." Although this woman was not claimed to be Mary Magdellan, Christ's injunction applies to all who sin, male and female alike, and thus, to all of us. In this instance, Jesus gives us an example of how to handle our desire to accuse others of sinful behavior. And I believe this applies particularly to Mary Magdellan since she was at Christ's feet while He was on the cross, and she was the first one to see Him after He arose. So who are we, all these centuries later, to accuse her? To accuse a woman who was apparently loved, trusted, and greatly blessed by Christ, the Living and Arisen God.

2And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, 3And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.

It is believed in many circles this was the same woman who washed his feet at a dinner with a pharisee. It says she was that same woman in the Gospel of Mary.

36And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. 37And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, 38And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. 39Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. As you have indicated, there is no proof that this woman was Mary Magdellan.

40And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. 41There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. 42And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?

43Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. 44And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. 45Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. 49And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? 50And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

It is believed this is the same woman caught in the act of adultery:

King James Version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

The actual name is not mentioned and so there is no absolute proof this was the same woman. We only know she had seven devils that were cast out from her for sure. It is commonly believed though that this is the same woman in all these cases. It may not be. It for sure could never be preached as an absolute. Most men I have heard teach on this said it is commonly believed she was one and the same. Again proof of studying God's word is the only way to know an absolute. Thank you Francie. You are very welcome, my friend. I had to study on this. No person could say she absolutely was the same woman. She was a woman with seven devils.

And the very goodness in her wanted desperately to be rid of those devils, and Christ cast them out, so she recognized the terrible fight for her soul that had been raging within her, the eternal fight between good and evil, and she loved Christ with a great passion for saving her. What better person, either male or female, to own the eternal life promised by God than one who was trapped in the grip of evil, but who was then saved by God, Himself? Being perfectly innocent from birth to death isn't possible for human beings, but being granted God's forgiveness of our sins places us with the angels. (My opinion/belief only)

• Upvote 1

And the very goodness in her wanted desperately to be rid of those devils, and Christ cast them out, so she recognized the terrible fight for her soul that had been raging within her, the eternal fight between good and evil, and she loved Christ with a great passion for saving her. What better person, either male or female, to own the eternal life promised by God than one who was trapped in the grip of evil, but who was then saved by God, Himself? Being perfectly innocent from birth to death isn't possible for human beings, but being granted God's forgiveness of our sins places us with the angels. (My opinion/belief only)

That is, as long as we remember to "Go and sin no more." LOL Actually, that may be the hardest thing of all to do, but it is our charge from Christ, so we must try.

Above the Angels Francie. It is why we are hated of Satan. God's mercy is available to all humanity. I am a recipient of God's mercy. I who had been a very wicked man can only humbly be thankful for mercy. The Gospel of Chriist is that repentence and remission of sins shall be preached in my name (Jesus Speaking) beginning at Jerusalam. This happened in the book of Acts. It continues to this day. Thanks be to God. I was no better than Paul who called himself the chiefest of sinners for he persecuted and killed Christians. If the chiefest of sinners can be saved any person can be saved. Thank God for the Bible.

• Upvote 2

In the eyes of some people, Jesus got married this week. Elated liberals and cantankerous conservatives both decided to attend the wedding.

Karen L. King of Harvard announced her discovery of a fragmented text at the International Congress of Coptic Studies. The text reportedly conveys the idea that Jesus was married. Since then, the media has been ablaze with commentary about this mysterious woman and the implications to Christianity. As is everyone on this blog.

Liberals and conservatives alike have looked like fools in their analysis of the issue. Jesus’ purported wife has been turned into a political football (surprised?) which is being kicked back and forth between the two camps. Some liberals are heralding the text, saying that it destroys the concept of traditional marriage and gender roles. Somehow, they reason, if a fourth century writing says that Jesus had a wife, then we should all be able to shack up with someone of the same gender. On the other half of the field, conservatives are pointing to the text as proof of the liberal’s devious plan to chip away at traditional Christianity one belief at a time.

Both sides are showing their ignorance.

Huffington Post has blown up with posts about the revolutionary find and its implications.

Michael D’Antonio wrote: “The implications of professor King’s discovery are profound.” No, they aren’t.

Rebecca Pahle wrote: “this particular discovery is pretty interesting (to me, anyways) in that it challenges the traditional Biblical view of woman’s relationship to man.” No, it doesn’t.

Conservatives have attacked King, saying she is just another liberal academic trying to dismantle Christianity. King is probably not your typical Sunday morning country churchgoer; but, in my limited experience, most of the people who work in Ivy League divinity schools aren’t trying to destroy your grandma’s beliefs.

The text simply shows what a group in the fourth century believed or what they were trying to convince people of. That’s what writing does. If the world spins for another 2,000 years, people will be able to read FOX News and MSNBC and see what they were trying to push in 2012.

There’s nothing revolutionary about this text, there’s plenty of ancient writings in which you could find something that might not line up with a traditionally held belief about the Old or New Testament. This latest text is just the flavor of the week.

Why aren’t we talking about the writings that bear the names of Enoch, Baruch, Esdras and the Maccabees? Or how about Gabriel’s Revelation, which supposedly cast doubt on the resurrection story? What about the Testament of Abraham? And where’s Huffington Post’s coverage of the Gospel of Thomas? There’s plenty of good material in there for the Bible basher.

If you were to regularly attend conferences like the International Congress of Coptic Studies, you would encounter this sort of thing quite frequently. Yes, this was a revolutionary find in the field of biblical studies, but it’s not worth all the media fuss. It doesn’t make King an enemy of traditional beliefs, it doesn’t redefine sexual roles and it doesn’t even mean that Jesus was married. It’s just something a person wrote in the fourth century. It shows what they believed or wanted others to believe. Just because a person jots something down doesn’t make it authoritative. Imagine if all the blogs today were treated as historically authoritative 1,500 years from now. What a mess!

Biblical scholars come across this type of thing on a somewhat regular basis. It helps them understand how the ideas and writings of ancient communities evolved.

As they teach you in preaching class, no discussion of a text should conclude without a personal application, so here’s how the text applies to you:

If you don’t believe the Bible is the inspired, authoritative word of God, then this ancient text tells you that somebody in the fourth century wrote that Jesus had a wife.

If you do believe the Bible is the inspired, authoritative word of God, then this ancient text tells you that somebody in the fourth century wrote that Jesus had a wife.

Study is the key word, Yahshu'a himself knew wolves in sheeps clothing would come and add unto and take away from his Fathers word which is why he warned us, which is the main reason for his instruction to study . If you do not study then you are/will be doomed for lack of knowledge (knowing). What do we lack Knowing ? John 8 vs 32 tells you, once we know truth, we are free, then you/me/we can go and help free your/our bretheren, cause you can't free them, unless you are first free yourself. This is the reason you/ me/ we need to read (ALL) the books NOT just the ones so-called scholars deemed canon, but also the un-canon books. Let the Spirit of the Most High be your teacher and you have nothing to fear.

Edited by joekooltrips

Study is the key word, Yahshu'a himself knew wolves in sheeps clothing would come and add unto and take away from his Fathers word which is why he warned us, which is the main reason for his instruction to study . If you do not study then you are/will be doomed for lack of knowledge (knowing). What do we lack Knowing ? John 8 vs 32 tells you, once we know truth, we are free, then you/me/we can go and help free your/our bretheren, cause you can't free them, unless you are first free yourself. This is the reason you/ me/ we need to read (ALL) the books NOT just the ones so-called scholars deemed canon, but also the un-canon books. Let the Spirit of the Most High be your teacher and you have nothing to fear.

I do agree with reading and learning all one can.. Some things we learn to teach against falseness other things we learn to teach truth. Truth always builds upon truth. Lies always detract from truth. There is never any neutral ground. It is either truth or a lie. Any writing that deviates from truth leads to a road of falseness and deception. So what is truth? Jesus said my words are truth and they are life. So then any writing that would deter you away from the Word of God is a lie. Satan is a liar and the truth is not in him. We learned in the garden of Eden that a twisting of truth leads to deception. Man even then wanted to believe the lie. It is no different today. But the truth prevailed and Adam and Eve both died. Shame nobody learns from the very first lesson of the Bible. You cant add to or take away from God's Word. It does't work. So in all your learning be careful not to fulfill NT Scripture. Professing themselves to be wise they became fools. Be very careful in your search for truth. Truth is a powerful thing. KNOW the Truth and the Truth shall make you free. Free from the bondage of sin and free from lies. Because they received not a love for the truth God gave them over to a reprobate mind to believe a lie and be damned. It is something you don't play with.

Edited by Markinsa
Removed douple post
  • Upvote 1

I do agree with reading and learning all one can.. Some things we learn to teach against falseness other things we learn to teach truth. Truth always builds upon truth. Lies always detract from truth. There is never any neutral ground. It is either truth or a lie. Any writing that deviates from truth leads to a road of falseness and deception. So what is truth? Jesus said my words are truth and they are life. So then any writing that would deter you away from the Word of God is a lie. Satan is a liar and the truth is not in him. We learned in the garden of Eden that a twisting of truth leads to deception. Man even then wanted to believe the lie. It is no different today. But the truth prevailed and Adam and Eve both died. Shame nobody learns from the very first lesson of the Bible. You cant add to or take away from God's Word. It does't work. So in all your learning be careful not to fulfill NT Scripture. Professing themselves to be wise they became fools. Be very careful in your search for truth. Truth is a powerful thing. KNOW the Truth and the Truth shall make you free. Free from the bondage of sin and free from lies. Because they received not a love for the truth God gave them over to a reprobate mind to believe a lie and be damned. It is something you don't play with.

This is exactly why I negged the first post in this thread! Well Said!

-

• Upvote 1