Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

He was talking about educating the people about the upcoming redenomination which is what "deleting the zeros" means. The word "propaganda" isn't really wrong because it means a form of communication to influence a community toward a certain position, which is what the CBI is trying to do in preparing the Iraqi people for the upcoming changes. It wasn't until WWI that the word "propaganda" took on a negative connotation. But you are correct in saying that deleting the zeros means lop.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

He was talking about educating the people about the upcoming redenomination which is what "deleting the zeros" means. The word "propaganda" isn't really wrong because it means a form of communication to influence a community toward a certain position, which is what the CBI is trying to do in preparing the Iraqi people for the upcoming changes. It wasn't until WWI that the word "propaganda" took on a negative connotation. But you are correct in saying that deleting the zeros means lop.

How can you be sure of what meaning Shabs was refering to when using the word/term "propaganda"? If he used it to describe educating why have we not seen it used more often? The articles I've read use the term/word "educating" quite extensively. If I'm wrong someone please provide me with more than one example,thanks.

• Upvote 2

How can you be sure of what meaning Shabs was refering to when using the word/term "propaganda"? If he used it to describe educating why have we not seen it used more often? The articles I've read use the term/word "educating" quite extensively. If I'm wrong someone please provide me with more than one example,thanks.

Because I watched the video and the context is an advertising campaign and educating the people. Anybody who is honest will admit that. I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that somebody who speaks English as their 2nd or 3rd language accidentally slipped up and let the cat out of the bag about an RV of 100,000% or more by starting to use the word propaganda and then deciding that advertising is a better choice.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Because I watched the video and the context is an advertising campaign and educating the people. Anybody who is honest will admit that. I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that somebody who speaks English as their 2nd or 3rd language accidentally slipped up and let the cat out of the bag about an RV of 100,000% or more by starting to use the word propaganda and then deciding that advertising is a better choice.

Thanks for the response,however it did'nt answer the question. If the intent was to educate as you state why has that term not been used more often? They use "educating" quite often and "propganda" very little if at all that I know of. Like I said if I'm wrong please someone provide some articles or videos to support, Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the response,however it did'nt answer the question. If the intent was to educate as you state why has that term not been used more often? They use "educating" quite often and "propganda" very little if at all that I know of. Like I said if I'm wrong please someone provide some articles or videos to support, Thanks.

Sorry I skipped the follow up question. My guess is that he usually talks about this in Arabic. I don't recall any other time he has talked bout the upcoming currency reform in English since it primarily deals with the Iraqi people and not westerners.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sorry I skipped the follow up question. My guess is that he usually talks about this in Arabic. I don't recall any other time he has talked bout the upcoming currency reform in English since it primarily deals with the Iraqi people and not westerners.

He went to school in the states Doc thats not a good excuse LOL

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the response.

• Upvote 1

He went to school in the states Doc thats not a good excuse LOL

I didn't realize that Bristol and Manchester are in the states. Thanks for setting me straight, easy. At any rate, that was forty years ago. Even native English speakers make mistakes from time to time. Certainly an Arab who hasn't lived in an English speaking country in decades is going to have a miscue every now and then.

• Upvote 1

Shabs could have simply said this was going to be a redenomination. He knows enough English to simply express this technique; but he didn't. He was very vague and if you're honest about listening to the interview (IMO), I think he leaves the door wide open on how all of this will go down. Iraq's last redenominaton at the end of 03' to the first of 04' was 1to 1, unless you had some swiss dinar. I think they will repeat this as they have stated. The question is; what will the exchange rate be?

Precisely.

Joseph Goebbels used the word "propaganda" in every pronouncement of his by virtue of the fact that each one came from the Ministry of Propaganda and Public Enlightenment. The German people knew they were being propagandized, because Goebbels made absolutely no mistake about it.

Shabibi said it only once, and caught himself mid-use. This classifies his use of the word as a Freudian slip.

Dr. Shabibi: But of course this requires not only the central bank activity, this requires because I mean its something you have to make a lot of propagand(a) uhhhh a lot of uh uh uh uhh advertisement campaign and all these things. And you have of course to go probably some a campaign to to to uhh educate a lot of people on these things.

Thanks for your input, Agent Doctor Robbins. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sanssouci
  • Downvote 2

Shabs could have simply said this was going to be a redenomination. He knows enough English to simply express this technique; but he didn't. He was very vague and if you're honest about listening to the interview (IMO), I think he leaves the door wide open on how all of this will go down. Iraq's last redenominaton at the end of 03' to the first of 04' was 1to 1, unless you had some swiss dinar. I think they will repeat this as they have stated. The question is; what will the exchange rate be?

Agreed, I have never seen Shabibi use the word redominate in any quoted publication. I have however read him quoted as saying 'rebase' at least 4 times (links are in another post if you want me to bring in here for reference).... and in another interview, he was quoted as not being all that concerned about counterfeit money because loss if any would be absorbed by the upcoming decimalization of the currency (link also in that post).... He is an economist, not a politician... and he is looking out for the interests of the financial health of Iraq.....

And while I am here... and likewise, not specific to your comments at all, its perhaps important to look at the defination of propaganda.... : "Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position. Propaganda is usually repeated and dispersed over a wide variety of media in order to create the chosen result in audience attitudes". Which fits beautifully with what Iraq has clearly stated they would do and in not wanting their citizens to freak out thinking their money lost value, etc etc etc... as its important for not only Iraqi citizens, but international investors in showing they have economic stability with great confidence in their money and policies directing such....

I'm not sure where is the point of disagreement in this thread, and wonder what I am missing... Help? :unsure: :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Agreed, I have never seen Shabibi use the word redominate in any quoted publication. I have however read him quoted as saying 'rebase' at least 4 times (links are in another post if you want me to bring in here for reference).... and in another interview, he was quoted as not being all that concerned about counterfeit money because loss if any would be absorbed by the upcoming decimalization of the currency (link also in that post).... He is an economist, not a politician... and he is looking out for the interests of the financial health of Iraq.....

And while I am here... and likewise, not specific to your comments at all, its perhaps important to look at the defination of propaganda.... : "Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position. Propaganda is usually repeated and dispersed over a wide variety of media in order to create the chosen result in audience attitudes". Which fits beautifully with what Iraq has clearly stated they would do and in not wanting their citizens to freak out thinking their money lost value, etc etc etc... as its important for not only Iraqi citizens, but international investors in showing they have economic stability with great confidence in their money and policies directing such....

I'm not sure where is the point of disagreement in this thread, and wonder what I am missing... Help? :unsure: :unsure:

As far as I know, rebasing a currency is pretty much in the same terminology as redenominating or lopping......

http://www.alltimeforex.com/rebasing-facts-about-iraqi-dinar

http://www.boz.zm/(S(mtlpbcz12c4jlq3g2hezyc55))/%5Cpublishing%5CSpeeches%5CPRESS_STATEMENT_BY_BOZ.pdf

Im sure I could find more references....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Rayzur I think the disagreement is over the preceived Freudian slip when Shabibi started to use the word "propaganda" instead of advertisement campaign. The belief of people like TheArtist, easyrider, and Sanssouci is that Shabibi slipped up and revealed that there is some disinformation coming from the CBI about lopping when they intend to revalue instead. If I'm wrong in that they will surely correct me. My belief is that Shabibi just started to use the word and then realized that there was a better word to express what he was trying to say about educating the people of Iraq about the redenomination. This is quite understandable for a man who speaks Arabic as his native language and probably speaks another language or two since he lived in Switzerland for a few years.

• Upvote 2

Doc this man has no problem with English. And if anything your resistance is almost the last nail in his coffen. It is like you are on a high school debate team, or in a court of law trying to defend someone you know is guilty but looking for any angle , and I don't believe you. If us RV 's are right then this is highest stakes poker game we have ever seen. The CBI will NEVER say we are going to up the value of the Dinar by 1000%, and we will do it next Monday, thats never going to happen. And a part of their campaign would be to put people on these forums to crush any idea of an RV. I never got why LOP'ers put so much energy in to these forums ,what do they get out of it, and especially a "Doctor" ,your a Professional.

I always view Doctors on these forums with suspicion ever since Boo Girls Dad Dr Bob ( I'm old school)

• Upvote 2

Doc this man has no problem with English. And if anything your resistance is almost the last nail in his coffen. It is like you are on a high school debate team, or in a court of law trying to defend someone you know is guilty but looking for any angle , and I don't believe you. If us RV 's are right then this is highest stakes poker game we have ever seen. The CBI will NEVER say we are going to up the value of the Dinar by 1000%, and we will do it next Monday, thats never going to happen. And a part of their campaign would be to put people on these forums to crush any idea of an RV. I never got why LOP'ers put so much energy in to these forums ,what do they get out of it, and especially a "Doctor" ,your a Professional.

I always view Doctors on these forums with suspicion ever since Boo Girls Dad Dr Bob ( I'm old school)

Why do LOPsters put so much energy in these forums? Maybe you should check the thread about Okie.