Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki has an Army of One Million and Talabani on his side

Shelley

Maliki has an army of one million and Talabani on his side, says MP Mahmoud Osman

02/07/2012 15:17

ERBIL, July 2 (AKnews) – Iraq is going through a period of dictatorship and Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki now has an army of one million, said an Iraqi independent MP.

Mahmoud Osman said: "Parliament voted for the government and it has the right to change it with the majority of votes, especially if there is an alternative in Iraq's National Alliance.

"Iraq has one million army members and al-Maliki leads them. In Iraq whoever leads the army is the strong one."

Osman asked al-Maliki to think again and reconsider because Kurds, Sunni and Shiite Arabs and Turkman want him to go and they cannot be wrong, he explained.

Osman added: "Iraq's President Jalal Talabani is against withdrawing confidence from al-Maliki and is in favor of holding the national conference.

"From the beginning Talabani has supported al-Maliki. That’s why the balance curved to Maliki's side."

By Mohammed Abdul Rahman

HH/DM/AKnews

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/4/315060/

Well if they had power sharing we wouldn't have to worry about the national meeting. Maliki won't allow it and keeps the crises going. Sunnis, the list won't show until there is power sharing. The council is what keeps maliki in check. right now it's just a bunch of rhetoric on both ends. Talabani, still not sure of his role. I wonder if he is just scared of maliki also. That's why he has not spoken out, but then again, he is trying to be neutral as the President.

We have 2 weeks before we see anything come out of this rhetoric. What I mean is that Ramadan is coming and i expect

they make try to accomplish some things before they go on their month long holiday.

Well if they had power sharing we wouldn't have to worry about the national meeting. Maliki won't allow it and keeps the crises going. Sunnis, the list won't show until there is power sharing. The council is what keeps maliki in check. right now it's just a bunch of rhetoric on both ends. Talabani, still not sure of his role. I wonder if he is just scared of maliki also. That's why he has not spoken out, but then again, he is trying to be neutral as the President.

We have 2 weeks before we see anything come out of this rhetoric. What I mean is that Ramadan is coming and i expect

they make try to accomplish some things before they go on their month long holiday.

Do we even know where Talabani is, has he returned from Germany yet ?? Since the article about his son taking over ( ?? ) there hasn't been any word on him or his health..

One million in the Iraq Army?

As of June 30, 2011, the IA had a nominal strength of almost 200,000 soldiers � a force USF-I characterized as capable of maintaining domestic security with limited support from the U.S. military. Although the police had increased their size and capabilities � and had replaced IA units as the lead in some local areas, at that time the IA remained in the lead in 14 provinces, with operational control for security residing inseven regional operation commands.

The transfer of internal security to police would free up IA units to focus on the development of traditional combined-arms capabilities and external defense. Plans called for elements of four IA divisions to be withdrawn from domestic security operations in January 2012 for additional training by the Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq (OSC-I) in combined-arms operations. As an initial step in this process,USF-I is helping the IA integrate mortarmen and combat engineers into the infantry units. US military advisors planned to start training IA mechanized infantry units on more advanced combined-arms tactics in July, including the proper use of 1,100 new armored personnel carriers, 140 M1 Abrams main battle tanks, and an array of modern indirect-fire systems.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/nia.htm

Good catch Ms. C, however keep in mind this article was not written for accuracy as I see it. It was written for the Iraqi people who probably have no idea as how large the Iraqi army is. They are struggling to keep their families fed, and getting things done before the power goes off. When they read this, they see Maliki as powerful, when they read Talabani is with him(irregardless as to whether he is or not in reality) he has overcome his enemies in the political world. This article is propaganda at its best, a dictator's strongest tool.

Zig, I agree completely, and that was my point. Maliki does not have 1,000,000 soldiers, and I have yet to figure out why a Kurdish news agency would print it. The article is no more than propaganda to instill fear, or faith, in the people of Iraq.

Accuracy? What is that? B)

I am yet to be convinced that the military is with Maliki if he were to try to take over the country and decouple democracy from the train. As I have said before, we did not leave that long ago, and I am sure their military remembers what our military was: bad to the bone, in a good way. I would also think the IA knows that if conditions on the ground get to a place of real trouble, we can legally come right back in, while the CVII sanctions are in affect anyway. Our troops in Kuwait can trot right over, not to mention the soldiers stuffed in closets over at the biggest embassy in the world. IWe have a huge flotilla watching the Sea of Hormuz. The IA would be squashed, and for what? Maliki? Good luck with that.

I'm rambling....what did you ask me? Salt? B)

Zig, I agree completely, and that was my point. Maliki does not have 1,000,000 soldiers, and I have yet to figure out why a Kurdish news agency would print it. The article is no more than propaganda to instill fear, or faith, in the people of Iraq.

Accuracy? What is that? cool.gif

I am yet to be convinced that the military is with Maliki if he were to try to take over the country and decouple democracy from the train. As I have said before, we did not leave that long ago, and I am sure their military remembers what our military was: bad to the bone, in a good way. I would also think the IA knows that if conditions on the ground get to a place of real trouble, we can legally come right back in, while the CVII sanctions are in affect anyway. Our troops in Kuwait can trot right over, not to mention the soldiers stuffed in closets over at the biggest embassy in the world. IWe have a huge flotilla watching the Sea of Hormuz. The IA would be squashed, and for what? Maliki? Good luck with that.

I'm rambling....what did you ask me? Salt? cool.gif

Maybe they were counting Malikis minions that are not on the Iraqi payroll??? Even with the amount that you mention, wouldn't you think if the protection of Iraqis is paramount than why still the high number of killings? Just some of my thoughts, look forward to your or anyones input! wink.gif

One million in the Iraq Army?

As of June 30, 2011, the IA had a nominal strength of almost 200,000 soldiers � a force USF-I characterized as capable of maintaining domestic security with limited support from the U.S. military. Although the police had increased their size and capabilities � and had replaced IA units as the lead in some local areas, at that time the IA remained in the lead in 14 provinces, with operational control for security residing inseven regional operation commands.

The transfer of internal security to police would free up IA units to focus on the development of traditional combined-arms capabilities and external defense. Plans called for elements of four IA divisions to be withdrawn from domestic security operations in January 2012 for additional training by the Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq (OSC-I) in combined-arms operations. As an initial step in this process,USF-I is helping the IA integrate mortarmen and combat engineers into the infantry units. US military advisors planned to start training IA mechanized infantry units on more advanced combined-arms tactics in July, including the proper use of 1,100 new armored personnel carriers, 140 M1 Abrams main battle tanks, and an array of modern indirect-fire systems.

http://www.globalsec...ld/iraq/nia.htm

I believe they are counting his personal body guards :D

Accuracy? What is that? B)

I'm rambling....what did you ask me? Salt? B)

Yeah for my margarita.

Maybe they were counting Malikis minions that are not on the Iraqi payroll??? Even with the amount that you mention, wouldn't you think if the protection of Iraqis is paramount than why still the high number of killings? Just some of my thoughts, look forward to your or anyones input! wink.gif

Unless there were a state of war or disaster, typically the military protects the country and police protect the citizens. FYI: there are more killings in NYC in a day than Iraq.

The US military has 1,450,000 in active troops and that same number in reserves. Do you think Iraq would have 1,000,000? The article is a lie, propaganda, exaggeration, poo poo.

• Upvote 1

Unless there were a state of war or disaster, typically the military protects the country and police protect the citizens. FYI: there are more killings in NYC in a day than Iraq.

The US military has 1,450,000 in active troops and that same number in reserves. Do you think Iraq would have 1,000,000? The article is a lie, propaganda, exaggeration, poo poo.

Thanks Carrello, makes sense,........ poo poo laugh.gif

You said poo poo. ;)

Yah, one million soldiers...Okay. That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. In 15 years they might, if they would revalue this freaking currency and start transforming their society. They can't even buy planes, much less equip a million people with arms. What a joke. One last point, how much does it take to feed, pay, and equip one million soldiers? :rolleyes: