Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A LOT

Maserati

I am not the best speller or grammar student.

I was once hammered by a professor in college who embarrassed me to look up the word "ALOT" in the dictionary.

It is two words A LOT.

Since I don't post great news on this forum like Yoda, Easy, Stryker and all the rest,

this is my measly way of contributing. It's meant to be positive.

Believe me, this is NOT a knock on anyone here!

I am the last person to knock anyone.

• Upvote 4

Yeah, my husband has told me a few times, the correct spelling of "a lot" . For example, he has mentioned this is when I write " I love you a lot" in a note or in a card. I always slow down to be sure I am writting it correctly. Even writing it in this post, I had to go back and correct it both times.

Edited by cooperwaits

I was once hammered by a professor in college who embarrassed me to look up the word "ALOT" in the dictionary.

It is two words A LOT.

Since I don't post great news on this forum like Yoda, Easy, Stryker and all the rest,

Even important and supposedly cultured People make grammar mistakes... All over the world....Unforgettable the little show of that Bush Sr. VP ( can't recall his name right now) who, visiting a school somewhere, "corrected " a young student who had written "potato" on the chalkboard.. To which the VP added an "e" at the end of the word .. "Potatoe".

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is two words A LOT.

I'm sorry, but what is your point???

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

It is two words A LOT.

Thanks alot....oh damn!

• Upvote 2

It is two words A LOT.

I can relate... I'll bet Chick Fil A billboards really tick you off. They do me... lol

• Upvote 1

Even important and supposedly cultured People make grammar mistakes... All over the world....Unforgettable the little show of that Bush Sr. VP ( can't recall his name right now) who, visiting a school somewhere, "corrected " a young student who had written "potato" on the chalkboard.. To which the VP added an "e" at the end of the word .. "Potatoe".

I could be wrong, but I think that was Al Gore, the same guy who "invented" the internet. WOW!! Do all of us owe him big time, or what??!! hahaha

I am forced to admit it, but I am an English professor who corrected such word spellings on student essays. All of us make mistakes in our writing, some of which are spelling errors, but the rule of thumb is to write your papers ahead of time so you have a chance to put them away for a couple days to a week, and then go back and check your own writing to make sure you have eliminated all the errors. They will usually stand out after you get it done as well as you can, and then take a step away from it for a few days. And even then, ask at least two people read and correct it even further. Sometimes they will make corrections you don't want in your finished product, but at least they tried, and you can learn from their comments. I also hope you took your turn to read and correct the work of others, as well, You learn "a lot" by doing that, too. haha Oops!! Did I get started and not know quite where to stop? Or does this sound like a lecture in English class? haha Oh, well. Good intentions were meant.

But I never embarrassed a student over spelling. Or over his writing skills, for that matter. I just assumed they were in my class for a reason, and that they needed to learn some things that I could teach them. But the hardest thing I tried to teach them was to write their papers early enough to follow the instructions I gave above. They very often tried to slam it together the night before it was due, and one even told me I was "lucky" to get it on time. haha Yeah, right. "I" felt lucky, indeed. haha

• Upvote 2

I could be wrong, but I think that was Al Gore, the same guy who "invented" the internet. WOW!! Do all of us owe him big time, or what??!! hahaha

I am forced to admit it, but I am an English professor who corrected such word spellings on student essays. All of us make mistakes in our writing, some of which are spelling errors, but the rule of thumb is to write your papers ahead of time so you have a chance to put them away for a couple days to a week, and then go back and check your own writing to make sure you have eliminated all the errors. They will usually stand out after you get it done as well as you can, and then take a step away from it for a few days. And even then, ask at least two people read and correct it even further. Sometimes they will make corrections you don't want in your finished product, but at least they tried, and you can learn from their comments. I also hope you took your turn to read and correct the work of others, as well, You learn "a lot" by doing that, too. haha Oops!! Did I get started and not know quite where to stop? Or does this sound like a lecture in English class? haha Oh, well. Good intentions were meant.

But I never embarrassed a student over spelling. Or over his writing skills, for that matter. I just assumed they were in my class for a reason, and that they needed to learn some things that I could teach them. But the hardest thing I tried to teach them was to write their papers early enough to follow the instructions I gave above. They very often tried to slam it together the night before it was due, and one even told me I was "lucky" to get it on time. haha Yeah, right. "I" felt lucky, indeed. haha

Thank you! That was a great response. I always say that I graduated Sooner Cum Later.

I was an art student and most subjects didn't interest me. Too bad.

Now, when I write an email, I read it over a few times and usually edit it.

BTW, I actually wrote a novel www.PinkRockTheBook.com

How's that for some shameless self promotion?

Also, that same professor used to make students sit up front in the "Hot Seat" and get

their papers torn apart by him. Back then, failure meant Viet Nam to most of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will go ahead and play this game.

I find it odd when the word loose is used instead of lose. Often you can see people use "loosing" when it is actually "losing".

The tie is loose. (not lose)

The Cowboys always find a way to lose a game. (not loose)

The Cowboys are losing the game. (not loosing)

• Upvote 2

Yes Francie.....Of course I may have made myself surely a few or not so few grammar mistakes in my life...

But I was so lucky to have had an awesome "old school" female Teacher in my first 2 years of elementary school ( the most critical for grammar skills learning , as it's known).... It was in the beginning of the 60's....She never got married and dedicated all of her adult life to gifting children with proper grammar skills tools... I was , am and will always be very grateful to her for this priceless and very tough job whose results one learns to see and appreciate only in the years to come.....

Later in my life, for instance when working at a bank ( for 15 years) I'd often see official documents containing atrocious grammar mistakes but then I'd think to myself that it wasn't too much the writer's fault but ( maybe, probably, let's say 50%) of the ones who taught that Individual in school and also at home...Of course it's not a federal charge as in the big complexity of life issues this is an absolute nothing... But.... just saying....

• Upvote 2

But I was so lucky to have had an awesome "old school" female Teacher in my first 2 years of elementary school ( the most critical for grammar skills learning , as it's known).... It was in the beginning of the 60's.... I was , am and will always be very grateful to her for this priceless and very tough job whose results one learns to see and appreciate only in the years to come.....

One can just tell you had proper upbringing, my friend. Likewise, I had parents, grandparents, and teachers who took the time and effort to teach me grammar, spelling, and various other "old school" values (of course I guess I am a member of "old school" based on my age). Other values included treating women with respect, the golden rule, and, even though at that time bigotry was considered a "normal southern attitude", they still taught me that red and yellow black and white they are precious in HIS sight!

I thank all of them for instilling in me a fabulous set of values for me to draw on and (hopefully) practice in my daily living.

BTW umbertino, did you check out my Blue Cheer post yesterday?

• Upvote 3

One can just tell you had proper upbringing, my friend. Likewise, I had parents, grandparents, and teachers who took the time and effort to teach me grammar, spelling, and various other "old school" values (of course I guess I am a member of "old school" based on my age). Other values included treating women with respect, the golden rule, and, even though at that time bigotry was considered a "normal southern attitude", they still taught me that red and yellow black and white they are precious in HIS sight!

I thank all of them for instilling in me a fabulous set of values for me to draw on and (hopefully) practice in my daily living.

BTW umbertino, did you check out my Blue Cheer post yesterday?

Thank you and agreed on everything you stated my Friend... Sorry ....I ( as usual, I know...) ran out of pluses.. I owe you one...

No, I didn't check yet your Blue Cheer post... Will do that in a minute.