Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq parliament warns government over delayed oil law

BAGHDAD, July 31 (Reuters) – Iraq’s parliament on Sunday warned the government it would force through a new draft of a much-delayed oil law if the cabinet further hold up the original legislation that investors see as a key guarantee of stability.

A new hydrocarbons law has been in the making for years but has faced opposition over who controls the world’s fourth largest oil reserves, some in areas disputed by ethnic Arabs and Kurds and and some in Iraq’s semi-autonomous north.

“Parliament’s energy committee has proposed a new draft and if government further delays its submitting of the oil and gas law then we will go with new one,” Iraq parliament speaker Osama al-Nujaifi told reporters.

The oil law has been one of many contentious issues facing Iraq’s new multi-sectarian government since it was formed in late December following more than nine months of wrangling and an inconclusive election.

Investors have been waiting for the law’s approval to guarantee a more solid legal framework for exploration. The law is also seen as pivotal to reconciling Iraq’s political factions as the OPEC country rebuilds after years of war.

Even without the law, Iraq is already developing oil-fields, signing billions of dollars in service contracts with international companies under legislation dating back to before 2003 when a U.S. invasion ousted Saddam Hussein.

The draft oil law was approved by the cabinet in 2007 but faced opposition in parliament which sent it back to the government for amendments. Last month, Iraq made some changes to the law, which are being reviewed by the cabinet’s energy committee.

“It’s clear parliament is trying to pressure the government to unchain the long-delayed law, but this will not solve the issue, It’s just creating more chaos,” Baghdad-based oil analyst Hamza al-Jawahiri told Reuters.

“Parliament should understand the only way out of this issue is through a political deal with the Kurds,” he said.

LINK

• Upvote 2

Too much info coming out in mass numbers regarding capt 7, hcl, and currency. I know Adam and others say, "nothing significant happens during Ramadan", but I would not be surprised to see one if not all get acomplished during and shock the world...Just a thought...

• Upvote 3

BAGHDAD, July 31 (Reuters) – Iraq’s parliament on Sunday warned the government it would force through a new draft of a much-delayed oil law if the cabinet further hold up the original legislation that investors see as a key guarantee of stability.

A new hydrocarbons law has been in the making for years but has faced opposition over who controls the world’s fourth largest oil reserves, some in areas disputed by ethnic Arabs and Kurds and and some in Iraq’s semi-autonomous north.

“Parliament’s energy committee has proposed a new draft and if government further delays its submitting of the oil and gas law then we will go with new one,” Iraq parliament speaker Osama al-Nujaifi told reporters.

The oil law has been one of many contentious issues facing Iraq’s new multi-sectarian government since it was formed in late December following more than nine months of wrangling and an inconclusive election.

Investors have been waiting for the law’s approval to guarantee a more solid legal framework for exploration. The law is also seen as pivotal to reconciling Iraq’s political factions as the OPEC country rebuilds after years of war.

Even without the law, Iraq is already developing oil-fields, signing billions of dollars in service contracts with international companies under legislation dating back to before 2003 when a U.S. invasion ousted Saddam Hussein.

The draft oil law was approved by the cabinet in 2007 but faced opposition in parliament which sent it back to the government for amendments. Last month, Iraq made some changes to the law, which are being reviewed by the cabinet’s energy committee.

“It’s clear parliament is trying to pressure the government to unchain the long-delayed law, but this will not solve the issue, It’s just creating more chaos,” Baghdad-based oil analyst Hamza al-Jawahiri told Reuters.

“Parliament should understand the only way out of this issue is through a political deal with the Kurds,” he said.

LINK

This is, and has been the holdup. Art 140 must be settled before the Kurds will accept any oil law. The Kurds were promised this would be settled already....their "leverage" to get what they want out of Art 140 is the holdup of the HCL.

Edited by MrFnHappy

This is, and has been the holdup. Art 140 must be settled before the Kurds will accept any oil law. The Kurds were promised this would be settled already....their "leverage" to get what they want out of Art 140 is the holdup of the HCL.

Just heard an article read on the callsquad conference call which stated that billions of dinar would be distributed next week in order to satisfy article 140.

Just heard an article read on the callsquad conference call which stated that billions of dinar would be distributed next week in order to satisfy article 140.

I just heard the same thing on CallSquad, in fact when I heard last week on thecall squad that the HCL law had been complete I did research. I couldn't find confirmation that the HCL was complete. I found several articles stating by Kurdistan that the oil contracts that were to be signed will be illegal. I am equally confused, but I will stick by my research and this article, the HCL is not complete. I just sent this to "another site" for confirmation.

I just heard the same thing on CallSquad, in fact when I heard last week on thecall squad that the HCL law had been complete I did research. I couldn't find confirmation that the HCL was complete. I found several articles stating by Kurdistan that the oil contracts that were to be signed will be illegal. I am equally confused, but I will stick by my research and this article, the HCL is not complete. I just sent this to "another site" for confirmation.

cL

Here is a link to a blog discussing oil contracts in Kurdistan and it states the HCL is not completed.

Saturday, July 31

....The Iraqi Government and the Energy committee are in loggerhead over the future of Iraq's Oil and Gas. The government want to go ahead with new licensing round with or without the new Hydrocarbon law been enacted, while the committee want to stop granting any new licences in January next year unless the law is passed.

Meanwhile Kurdistan Region has resumed exporting oil since January agreement. However, Kurdish ministers are becoming more frustrated with lack political progress in Baghdad. It appears that KRG has lost patience because of the continuation of political squabbling in Baghdad and gone ahead with granting new PSCs this week....

Too much info coming out in mass numbers regarding capt 7, hcl, and currency. I know Adam and others say, "nothing significant happens during Ramadan", but I would not be surprised to see one if not all get acomplished during and shock the world...Just a thought...

I will HAPPILY dance in the streets if I am proven wrong!

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Great thread, thanks for the posted article. There is still much discord and dissension.... Don't expect any major decisions made during Ramadan. Even though they are working, it is their major holiday and business matters are reduced.

1.280 billion dinars were paid out to SOME of the displaced families in the northern part of Iraq. Another payout is scheduled next week for the marshland people. Article 140 is being worked on, but has a LONG way to go yet. It is part and parcel of the Erbil Agreement AND the HCL. Article 140 is NOT yet done.

Don't believe everything you hear....most of it is inaccurate and is creating great confusion. I have yet to hear one single conf call that does not disseminate inaccurate and confusing information. Listen to them, but then check for yourselves. There are MANY news articles coming out recently that totally contradict what the calls are offering.....

;)

Edited by BlueOrchid919
  • Upvote 2