Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

Sirius

President Obama on Tuesday said he cannot guarantee that retirees will receive their Social Security checks August 3 if Democrats and Republicans in Washington do not reach an agreement on reducing the deficit in the coming weeks.

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it," Mr. Obama said in an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley, according to excerpts released by CBS News.

The Obama administration and many economists have warned of economic catastrophe if the United States does not raise the amount it is legally allowed to borrow by August 2.

Lawmakers from both parties want to use the threat of that deadline to work out a broader package on long-term deficit reduction, with Republicans looking to cut trillions of dollars in federal spending, while Democrats are pushing for a more "balanced approach," which would include both spending cuts and increased revenue through taxes.

The Debt Limit fight: A primer

Democratic and Republican lawmakers are expected to hold another round of negotiations with Mr. Obama at the White House Tuesday afternoon on long-term deficit reduction, though talks have yielded little results to date.

Mr. Obama told Pelley "this is not just a matter of Social Security checks. These are veterans checks, these are folks on disability and their checks. There are about 70 million checks that go out."

Mr. Obama's comments followed remarks from the Senate's top Republican, who said Tuesday that he did not see a way for Republicans and Democrats to come to agreement on meaningful deficit reduction as long as Mr. Obama remains in office.

"After years of discussions and months of negotiations, I have little question that as long as this president is in the Oval Office, a real solution is probably unattainable," Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said in remarks on the Senate floor.

Still, McConnell said Republicans would "do the responsible thing" to avoid default, suggesting that a deal on the debt ceiling could be reached without a "real" deficit reduction package.

"The president has presented us with three choices: smoke and mirrors, tax hikes, or default. Republicans choose none of the above. I had hoped to do good, but I refuse to do harm. So Republicans will choose a path that actually reflects the will of the people, which is to do the responsible thing and ensure that the government doesn't default on its obligations," he said.

Mr. Obama has repeatedly said he wants a deal that would allow the U.S. to avoid confronting the issue again until after the 2012 elections and vowed on Monday that he would "not sign a 30-day or a 60-day or a 90-day extension."

"This the United States of America and, you know, we don't manage our affairs in three-month increments. You know, we don't risk U.S. default on our obligations because we can't put politics aside," Mr. Obama told reporters at the White House yesterday.

Link:

What will it take for people to say "enough"?

Edited by Sirius

All I can say is he had better make good on teh government's promise to retirees. At least if he is going to eat regularly on our nickle and take his paycheck.

Or maybe not and that would insure he was a one timer in the White House.

Don't cha just hate politicians who use us and their power to manipulate. WOW! I would have never dreamed this great country would be in such dire straits and it is still the best in the world.

Come on RV, give us some relief. AND THEN THE AFTER PARTY!

Edited by TexasFisherman

Didnt we just go through this a few months ago and he said the military wont get paid unless he was given more money. He needs trillions every few months. It is way past time for Barry to get the boot. Thrump was on Barrys butt, but then he got quiet and the next thing you know Rumors are Thrump has 20 million USD in dinar...mmmmmm

I love how just because Obama tells the American people he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out that everyone blames him. They need to pay more attention to who is holding the cards in this! Its because of the "Democrats and Republicans in Washington" if they do not reach an agreement on reducing the deficit in the coming weeks. Its also the American people who have become divided instead of united that have allowed this to happen. We all sit and ***** but I do not see any action. The disable and elderly that are on Social Security have not had a cost of living raise in two years and nothing was done! Most have had to choose between household bills, food or Medications and nothing has been done. Healthcare Bill was finally voted on after the Senate and House tore it apart and make it worthless and nothing was done. Now the country is about to shut down and the elderly and disabled are going to be helpless and nothing is being done. I guess they call this population control! Well instead of bitching and moaning do something! Get together and have protest ( it has worked before) and if you can not take the time to do that than at least write your Senators and Congressman and keep writing them until something is done! Or you can continue to sit and let this keep going on and than it will be to late!

• Upvote 3

this JACKASS Mr. O IS IN WAY OVER HIS HEAD , WHAT A WORTHLESS PEACE OF ( S**T ) . WAKE UP AMERICA !!

A President who trys to rule using fear is not a man of integrity, but we already know this. This just shows us how low this liar will go. It certainly has nothing to do with leadership or greatness, but everything to do with narcissistic arrogance and a ghetto thug mentality.

• Upvote 8

If SS checks are not out on the 3rd he had better put the keys of Air Force One up for a while. I would like to see how he would justify spending over $180,000.00 per hour with his personal private air taxi but cannot afford to pay people who live on social security.

• Upvote 1

So, funds are low and not everything can be paid. Not just the seniors cheques, but all of the social assistance programs are gasping for breath and beginning to swirl round the bowl. As well as a lot of other things.

In my home, if there is not enough money in the budget for a particular month, everything gets readjusted. A little less gas in the van and more walking, or sharing rides with the neighbours ... where I live there is no access to public transit that is reliable and timely so that isn't an option. The monthly readjustment includes using up more of what is in the freezer and back of the cupboards and trips to the grocery store for the perishables only: milk, bread, eggs, bananas ... like that. No eating out, not even a drink on the way into town ... take something from home. Nothing new, no matter what a "deal" it is and even if it is just a five dollar DVD ... nothing new! Entertainment? Try a walk along the river or take a picnic to the local community centre and watch the kids skateboarding. Anyway, you get the idea.

If the government could use the same tactics they would find lots of money to make things work. They have a lot more places where they can snip and stretch to make the ends meet, a lot more options than you and I do, but we are expected to do it. So, put people in government who actually know how to run something that requires funding!

But here is a perfect example of the top feeding from the bottom. The first programs hit when the money isn't there include the social programs that the "poor" people rely on. It isn't their fault if they have been left disabled, or trying to raise a family of kids alone, or are past the age when they can produce an income and we don't encourage parents to live with kids and have large families that take care of each other as we did in the old days. These days the kids wouldn't allow it even if suggested.

What if the belt cinching started at the top? What if Mr. Obama was to find that his cheque was not forthcoming until the crisis was over. He and his family would not starve. They have enough clothes and don't need private transportation. They would be fine. (Not being American I do not know how it works and perhaps he doesn't take a paycheque, but you get the idea.) Let's take it further. Every member of the Senate, and of the Congress ... how long could they and their families survive, even at the level of the "poor" people who seem to manage, if they all gave up one or two or even three months income cheques? Not a big deal. They have money saved. They have access to loans if need be. They have a multitude of options the ordinary person, working or not, will ever have. Let them start taking the sting out of the situation by forgoing their salaries for a while.

Really I don't know why I bother even writing this ... just a rant I suppose. When I became disabled I got the grand benefit of just under nine hundred dollars a month. After my husband died and I got some survivor benefits, they chopped the disability benefit and now, added up together, I am expected to survive on less than eight hundred dollars a month. If it hadn't been for a friend who gave us some dinar years ago, I would not have known to spend some of the life insurance money on more dinar. That is going to have to be my rescue fund. But I still look at what the governents put the bottom of the pyramid through so they can maintain their exalted positions on top. We may finally be seeing a time when the collapse puts them on top of a further crumbling pile of ruin. Wonder how they will handle that?

Anyway ... just my ...

:twocents:

smee2

It's called fear tatics. Nothing more.

People REALLY need to wake up and learn who they really are. If they did they would not need any of this handout garbage. The only reason they have to keep raising the debt limits is because of us. If we were doing everything the way they have set this up there would not be any debt at all and there would never be any need to raise any debt ceiling because all the debt would be getting properly discharged just as fat as they could borrow it!

And here we all sit waiting on a RV that is nothing but more debt obligations that we have no need of nor are we even suppose to be using any of this private script currency in the first place. WE are the creditors and WE provide them with our unlimited credit and WE are suppose to be sending them all our bills so they can pay them by properly offsetting and discharging that debt. That is exactly what bankruptcy does. It discharges all the debt. They have been operating under chapter 11 bankruptcy since 1933 which is why there is no more LAWFUL MONEY in circulation. It's called BANKRUPTCY and in 1933 FDR placed this country into chapter 11 bankruptcy and this country has been running itself in bankruptcy receivership ever since.

When you get those monthly bills just sign your name on the payment voucher and start sending them all to the comptroller of currency to be properly DISCHARGED. This is the laws they passed in 1933. ALL bills are to be paid by the comptroller of currency! That means ALL YOUR BILLS TOO!

When WE use THEIR private debt script obligations (Federal Reserve NOTES), we are the ones that are expanding and growing the debt. WE are NOT authorized to be using federal reserve NOTES. Only the Federal Reserve, Federal Reserve Banks, National Banks and Government is authorized to use those FRN's. That is all internal debt notes they are to use between them, not us! WE SIGN, THEY PAY AND DISCHARGE! By WE signing WE provide them with OUR CREDIT to use to settle THEIR DEBTS. Only WE are not doing this properly because WE keep using THEIR IOU DEBT CURRENCY to buy and pay bills with which by us doing that it allows them to STEAL OUR CREDIT! Instead of using our credit to offset and discharge all our bills like they are suppose to be doing, they take the FRN's we are using to pay with to apply to the debt owed, which only a promise to pay that debt and does not actually pay it at all, then they steal our credit and put that into their CAFR accounts which is now in excess of hundreds of trillions! They have enough credit of ours they have stolen from us sitting in those CAFR accounts that the interest on that credit alone would eliminate all taxation and provide every American with a monthly check just off the interest on all those trillions they have buried of ours.

The people have been duped because of our own ignorance of not knowing what they did and how they structured the new system when they went into bankruptcy in 1933. It's all there written within all their laws but no one ever bothers to read them and most that would read them wouldn't understand half of it anyway because the common words used in law has complete different legal meanings than what the common meanings are to what people use in daily life. They call that legalese. But a 3rd edition black's law dictionary is all you need to learn the meanings of these words and figure out what their legalese really means. And I say 3rd edition because that is the law dictionary that was current in that time. They keep changing difinitions around when they come out with new editions and you have to use the legal meanings words meant at the time the laws were written.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps Mr. O could donate the $86 million he raised from the corrupt unions who he will be forever in debt to, and who knows what other country slipped a few million in there. It would be interesting to track it down. sad.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

this JACKASS Mr. O IS IN WAY OVER HIS HEAD , WHAT A WORTHLESS PEACE OF ( S**T ) . WAKE UP AMERICA !!

you really think that this is Mr. "O" doing? and then the name calling. I am someone that gets a social security check, I also get Veteran Disability (160% disabled permanent and total) for my service in vietnam. I am also educated enough to understand, that, until the partisian bickering ends and both sides of the isle come to understand they are in washington to do the peoples business, not the party;s business. Once this happens and only then will things change! calling names does not accomplish anything. just sayng

• Upvote 4

Jazzman you have to realize that some folks only see one side of the story and they forget about politicans on the other side wanting to lash and burn medicare and social security. It is just a way of fanning the flames they don't understand or choose to only see and believe what they want. You have some poster lay out the waste of money and fail to show who authorized these studies and how long they been in place. But if the House wants to play hard ball with the President well they will also have to eat the crap sandwich as well. Some of the politicans are seeing the writing on the wall. Even the President is going aganist his party to reach across teh aisle to raise the limit. If not then i am sure we will see folks commenting after the 2nd of August and the President has said this could happen so don't be surprised.

I love how just because Obama tells the American people he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out that everyone blames him. They need to pay more attention to who is holding the cards in this! Its because of the "Democrats and Republicans in Washington" if they do not reach an agreement on reducing the deficit in the coming weeks. Its also the American people who have become divided instead of united that have allowed this to happen. We all sit and ***** but I do not see any action. The disable and elderly that are on Social Security have not had a cost of living raise in two years and nothing was done! Most have had to choose between household bills, food or Medications and nothing has been done. Healthcare Bill was finally voted on after the Senate and House tore it apart and make it worthless and nothing was done. Now the country is about to shut down and the elderly and disabled are going to be helpless and nothing is being done. I guess they call this population control! Well instead of bitching and moaning do something! Get together and have protest ( it has worked before) and if you can not take the time to do that than at least write your Senators and Congressman and keep writing them until something is done! Or you can continue to sit and let this keep going on and than it will be to late!

You must be an Obama lover, sorry but I am not and have not since the day he got into office and even before. You need to wake up.

You must be an Obama lover, sorry but I am not and have not since the day he got into office and even before. You need to wake up.

Doesn't matter if you love him or not. If there is not a deal made before 2 Aug 2012 no only will you but we all are going to take a bite of the sandwich. leave politics at home. Vote GOP and then you have no one to blame.

Easy fix!!!!!

you really think that this is Mr. "O" doing? and then the name calling. I am someone that gets a social security check, I also get Veteran Disability (160% disabled permanent and total) for my service in vietnam. I am also educated enough to understand, that, until the partisian bickering ends and both sides of the isle come to understand they are in washington to do the peoples business, not the party;s business. Once this happens and only then will things change! calling names does not accomplish anything. just sayng

Off topic a bit but my father always told me..."when ever you come in contact with a Vietnam Vet thank him/her for their service."

Thank you Jazz and Im sorry that you had to endure what you did when you over there and especially when you returned home. I too am a veteran of 21 years. 3 tours in Iraq and 2 in Asscrackistan but the difference is I came home to a greatful nation. Our nation owes all vets a great deal of gratitude but to the folks that served in "Nam", we owe them a bit more.

• Upvote 5