Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

McDonald’s sued over Happy Meals

blueskygal

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE PARENTAL WORD NO NO NO - SORRY KID WE ARENT DOING THAT? You know what? I have HAD IT WITH LAWYERS...This is absolutely- the WORLD HAS GONE MAD...really? Now a "40 year old mother of two" is going to get millions to shut her godda__ mouth because her kids eat french fries and cheesburgers ???? WHAT???? Look, Im 38 and have 3 kids too. I DONT take my kids to ANY fast food restaurant PERIOD. I know what is inthe food - I only make healthy meals. BUT, that does not mean you can police other restaurants and FORCE them to STOP serving happy meals because of the toys!!! I mean come on - thats like saying - ok stop putting beautiful airbrushed models on magazines - its bad for our kids -who will buy them then??? Our police state has gone MAD and Im tired of it... its BULLS___. Even people with limited knowledge know that you are what you eat so where is the marketing liability???

Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights or use this link to reference the article - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/36c6170a-0875-11e0-80d9-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz18EGqohWU

By Greg Farrell in New York

Published: December 15 2010 18:33 | Last updated: December 15 2010 18:33

A US consumer advocacy group has filed a lawsuit against McDonald’s, accusing the fast-food chain of using deceptive advertising practices to lure children to the company’s restaurants.

The lawsuit, brought by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, accuses McDonald’s of using the promotional toys included in its Happy Meals to get children to pester their parents into bringing them to its restaurants.

EDITOR’S CHOICE

‘Happy Meal gift’ filing - Nov-15.McDonald’s chief attacks children’s meal ‘food police’ - Dec-13.McDonald’s vows to keep it simple - Dec-13.EU pays McDonald’s in Sweden - Dec-01..The complaint alleges that most Happy Meals deliver levels of fat, sodium and calories that are above the recommended levels for children under 8 years of age.

The civil suit, filed in California, seeks class action status on behalf of the plaintiff, a 41-year-old mother of two.

It is the second major assault on McDonald’s children’s marketing programmes in the nation’s largest state in recent weeks. The San Francisco board of supervisors voted in November to ban the sale of Happy Meals starting late next year.

“We are proud of our Happy Meals and intend to vigorously defend our brand, our reputation and our food,” McDonald’s said in a statement. “We are confident that parents understand and appreciate that Happy Meals are a fun treat, with quality, right-sized food choices for their children that can fit into a balanced diet.”

In an interview with the Financial Times this month, McDonald’s chief executive Jim Skinner defended his company against the growing chorus of “food police” in its home market who blame McDonald’s for contributing to an epidemic of obesity in the US.

“Our customers are competent and capable of making decisions”, Mr Skinner said. Speaking about the the San Francisco ban, he added: “That approach is wrong-headed, and is not going to solve anything. It’s not going to solve obesity”.

In its complaint, the CSPI cites an internal company newsletter which says that when families with children visit McDonald’s, the children are responsible for the choice of McDonalds 53 per cent of the time. The lawsuit alleges that McDonald’s advertises its Happy Meals to young children, with the offer of a promotional toy, knowing that the children will urge their parents to bring them to the company’s restaurants.

“By choosing to thwart parental rights, McDonald’s is engaged in a deliberate and deceptive attack on children”, said Stephen Gardner, an attorney representing CSPI. “McDonald’s must be held responsible for and change its illegal behaviour”.

The lawsuit does not seek damages from McDonald’s, other than attorneys’ fees and related costs, and asks for a judgment that will prevent the fast-food restaurant chain from continuing to advertise Happy Meals featuring toys to children in California.

Josh Golin, associate director of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, applauded the suit. “When it comes to undermining parental authority by targeting children directly, McDonald’s is the worst of the worst”, he said. “Their business model is based on getting their kids to pester their parents as often as possible”.

.Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

Lets face it, bad law suits aren't going away (yes I wish they were) and people with weight problems due to meal choices and lifestyle (not medical reasons) won't likely change their habits until it's too late...

...been there, done that, and thankfully am in the greatest shape of my life today. ...oh yeah, and people that let their kids run their lives, really probably need more help than just better meals.

Parental disagreement in front of the kids will always net the parents more problems with the kids. Life isn't easy...and it certainly isn't fair, and lawyers won't make it any better.

• Upvote 1

Lets face it, bad law suits aren't going away (yes I wish they were) and people with weight problems due to meal choices and lifestyle (not medical reasons) won't likely change their habits until it's too late...

...been there, done that, and thankfully am in the greatest shape of my life today. ...oh yeah, and people that let their kids run their lives, really probably need more help than just better meals.

Parental disagreement in front of the kids will always net the parents more problems with the kids. Life isn't easy...and it certainly isn't fair, and lawyers won't make it any better.

Thor, I'm gonna give you a little scolding in the spirit of love for my country and countrymen. I know what you are saying and I believe you have many great ideas about the way the world should be vs actually is. It is not clear as to whether you are a parent, and no matter because any reasonable person can see the truth if they choose to, not just the parents. Your post seems to indicate a personal discipline and I can only admire that. HOWEVER, your post started off in a defeatist way that PLAGUES our mighty nation. Words have power. They are not simply words. They are the essence of our spirit, as a people and a nation. The mouth speaks out of the abundance of the heart. If the heart is accepting of defeat as an (implied) fact of life then one is beaten on every other point already. That is in conflict with who you must certainly be. Look, you have overcome obesity. Wonderful. That is noteworthy. It took a sincere and diligent effort. It wasn't easy. You did not simply "face it". You have risen to that challenge and overcame it, but let's don't face anything that is wrong unless we are willing to do one of two things. 1. We can stand back and watch the circumstances steamroll us. OR, 2. We can go on the offensive and change the stupidity. Get active in the politcal process. Watch your senator and congressman. Communicate with them. Attend town hall meetings. Join a PAC that you have passion for.

I'm finished scolding now. Be blessed. Have an awesome post RV/RI. Use a portion of your newly found finances to set the record straight. Be generous but not foolish. Be deliberate. Be a force of reckoning.

• Upvote 2

People will do anything to make a quick buck!! Makes you wonder if this is one of those that lives off of our tax dollars so they don't have to work!! What makes McDonald's any different than Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's etc..... They all have toys that they put in the kids meals!!

I forgot these kids drive themselves to these places and pay for the food so they can have a toy!!! If people would step up and raise their kids, instead of letting everyone else do it, maybe they wouldn't be having these issues!! LEARN TO SAY NO TO YOUR KIDS!!!!

Next thing you know Dairy Queen will be sued for serving ice cream or the Ice cream trucks that drive around playing music will be sued cause their music makes the kids buy ice cream!!!

Look out Trojan and KY Jelly you will be next. They will be blaming you for their children having sex because of your advertisements!!! LMAO!!

People need to grow up and deal with their kids instead of giving in!!!

Thor, I'm gonna give you a little scolding in the spirit of love for my country and countrymen. I know what you are saying and I believe you have many great ideas about the way the world should be vs actually is. It is not clear as to whether you are a parent, and no matter because any reasonable person can see the truth if they choose to, not just the parents. Your post seems to indicate a personal discipline and I can only admire that. HOWEVER, your post started off in a defeatist way that PLAGUES our mighty nation. Words have power. They are not simply words. They are the essence of our spirit, as a people and a nation. The mouth speaks out of the abundance of the heart. If the heart is accepting of defeat as an (implied) fact of life then one is beaten on every other point already. That is in conflict with who you must certainly be. Look, you have overcome obesity. Wonderful. That is noteworthy. It took a sincere and diligent effort. It wasn't easy. You did not simply "face it". You have risen to that challenge and overcame it, but let's don't face anything that is wrong unless we are willing to do one of two things. 1. We can stand back and watch the circumstances steamroll us. OR, 2. We can go on the offensive and change the stupidity. Get active in the politcal process. Watch your senator and congressman. Communicate with them. Attend town hall meetings. Join a PAC that you have passion for.

I'm finished scolding now. Be blessed. Have an awesome post RV/RI. Use a portion of your newly found finances to set the record straight. Be generous but not foolish. Be deliberate. Be a force of reckoning.

Wow! Every once in a while one reads a masterpiece. This was so well written and so kindly presented, that I'm going to be naught (instead of nice) just so I can get a scolding as well! :tiphat:

Edited by Tiffany23

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE PARENTAL WORD NO NO NO - SORRY KID WE ARENT DOING THAT? You know what? I have HAD IT WITH LAWYERS...This is absolutely- the WORLD HAS GONE MAD...really? Now a "40 year old mother of two" is going to get millions to shut her godda__ mouth because her kids eat french fries and cheesburgers ???? WHAT???? Look, Im 38 and have 3 kids too. I DONT take my kids to ANY fast food restaurant PERIOD. I know what is inthe food - I only make healthy meals. BUT, that does not mean you can police other restaurants and FORCE them to STOP serving happy meals because of the toys!!! I mean come on - thats like saying - ok stop putting beautiful airbrushed models on magazines - its bad for our kids -who will buy them then??? Our police state has gone MAD and Im tired of it... its BULLS___. Even people with limited knowledge know that you are what you eat so where is the marketing liability???

Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights or use this link to reference the article - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/36c6170a-0875-11e0-80d9-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz18EGqohWU

By Greg Farrell in New York

Published: December 15 2010 18:33 | Last updated: December 15 2010 18:33

A US consumer advocacy group has filed a lawsuit against McDonald’s, accusing the fast-food chain of using deceptive advertising practices to lure children to the company’s restaurants.

The lawsuit, brought by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, accuses McDonald’s of using the promotional toys included in its Happy Meals to get children to pester their parents into bringing them to its restaurants.

EDITOR’S CHOICE

‘Happy Meal gift’ filing - Nov-15.McDonald’s chief attacks children’s meal ‘food police’ - Dec-13.McDonald’s vows to keep it simple - Dec-13.EU pays McDonald’s in Sweden - Dec-01..The complaint alleges that most Happy Meals deliver levels of fat, sodium and calories that are above the recommended levels for children under 8 years of age.

The civil suit, filed in California, seeks class action status on behalf of the plaintiff, a 41-year-old mother of two.

It is the second major assault on McDonald’s children’s marketing programmes in the nation’s largest state in recent weeks. The San Francisco board of supervisors voted in November to ban the sale of Happy Meals starting late next year.

You might know this is California....the "Sue Happy State" of the union....nothing surprises my what lawyers will do in this state....oh my....one more reason to consider leaving this place...God Bless...

Wow! Every once in a while one reads a masterpiece. This was so well written and so kindly presented, that I'm going to be naught (instead of nice) just so I can get a scolding as well! :tiphat:

Cool! I sat around trying to come up with good ways to make an impression on a beautiful princess and get out of the crosshairs at the same time. It could be that I'm batting at least a five hundred... B)

Do the children drive themselves to Mc D's?....ummm no

Do the children pay for the happy meal?.....errrmm, well, no

Who is responsible for doing these things?.....well, the mother

So how were the children lured?.....hmmm, i guess they werent

Case dismissed......idiot mother to pay all court costs.....moronic attorney to be disbarred

• Upvote 1

Do the children drive themselves to Mc D's?....ummm no

Do the children pay for the happy meal?.....errrmm, well, no

Who is responsible for doing these things?.....well, the mother

So how were the children lured?.....hmmm, i guess they werent

Case dismissed......idiot mother to pay all court costs.....moronic attorney to be disbarred

dead on! :angry:

Add, And mother loses kids to foster care because she's incompetent.

I understand its all about marketing etc, but how in the heck can you deceptively advertise to a child between 3- 12 when most cant see over the counter, and there parents are driving them there and paying for the food!!! No judge in there right mind should allow this to go through the court system.

In the words of Shakespeare..."the first thing we do is kill all the lawyers" :angry: