Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq's Sadr calls for ban on bars, nightclubs

k98nights

Iraq's Sadr calls for ban on bars, nightclubs

kippreport-news.jpg December 11, 2010

Sadr supporters rally to march in support of ban; Authorities renew campaign to shut down liquor stores.

Anti-American Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr called on Friday for the closure of bars and liquor shops in Iraq following a renewed campaign by authorities in Baghdad to shut down nightclubs and shops selling alcohol.

Hundreds of Sadr’s followers rallied in the Husseiniya district of northern Baghdad, heeding his call to take to the streets after Friday prayers in support of a ban. Many carried Sadr’s photograph and held up banners which read “We call for the immediate closure of all nightclubs and bars”.

“Walk out after the sacred Friday prayers to demonstrate support for the closure of the bars and liquor shops,” Sadr said in a statement.

“Stand against those who want to disseminate corruption, intoxication, and addiction (to alcohol), to make Iraq drift towards ignorance, corruption, lewdness, to make our society rot like the West.”

Authorities last year ordered the closure of all Baghdad nightclubs and shops selling alcohol because of concern that the venues were undermining morals. The provincial council has renewed its efforts to close clubs and liquor shops.

Mainly Muslim Iraq is a conservative society, where many women cover their hair and bodies and most men and women eschew alcohol, which is proscribed under Islamic law.

However, Iraq’s stance on alcohol is still relatively liberal compared to its neighbours Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, where the possession of alcohol is banned.

Sunni dictator Saddam Hussein, who was toppled by the U.S.-led invasion in 2003, legally allowed shops to sell alcohol, although bars and nightclubs were banned towards the end of his rule.

The call by Sadr to shut down clubs and liquor stores throughout the country has angered some who say it is a move to turn Iraq into a more hardline Islamic state.

“What is going on are attempts to turn Iraq into an Islamic republic similar to the one in Iran,” an Iraqi writer and a member of the Iraqi union for writers said, declining to give his name.

“They (authorities) said that they will close the stores and the clubs that do not have a valid licence. At the same time the relevant government departments are not issuing new licences,” the writer said.

Sadr’s political movement flexed its newfound muscle in talks to form a government when it emerged as a kingmaker after winning 39 seats in the March parliamentary election.

Sadr’s decision to back Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki was a turning point in an eight-month political impasse and put Maliki in the driver’s seat for a second term.

(By Khalid al-Ansary. Additional reporting by Waleed Ibrahim; Writing by Serena Chaudhry; Editing by Alison Williams)

http://www.kippreport.com/2010/12/iraqs-sadr-calls-for-ban-on-bars-nightclubs/

This is why democracy in Iraq will be short lived. You can not have a democracy / capitalism coincide with a religious society.

Before the flames begin and state about our wonderful country let me point out why it works here.

1. We have laws that separate church and state. Iraq does not. They are trying to take a Islamic state and apply democracy too it. The ideals between the two, are incompatible without separation of church and state.

2. Although in general terms we are considered a Religious nation, in reality we are not. Yes there are millions that are deeply religious here, but there are tens of millions who are not, and will chase the dollar over religion anyday. That is why democracy and capitalism thrives here and really no where else.

Ok I've got my flack jacket on fire away.

• Upvote 5

This is why democracy in Iraq will be short lived. You can not have a democracy / capitalism coincide with a religious society.

Before the flames begin and state about our wonderful country let me point out why it works here.

1. We have laws that separate church and state. Iraq does not. They are trying to take a Islamic state and apply democracy too it. The ideals between the two, are incompatible without separation of church and state.

2. Although in general terms we are considered a Religious nation, in reality we are not. Yes there are millions that are deeply religious here, but there are tens of millions who are not, and will chase the dollar over religion anyday. That is why democracy and capitalism thrives here and really no where else.

Stig, well said, you are exactly right. But don't forget, even in America we have groups that would like nothing better than "their" church running our government, while they espouse our constitution, which is precisely why our forefathers came here to begin with, to get away from a government that named one religion as king, and all others treason to the crown! If some of the people on this site had their way, Christianity would be named the "one" religion in America, and all others banned. Scary thought, no? Let the bashing begin!!

• Upvote 3

Sir.....while I totally respect the point you are making about America not being religious...or maybe the best way to say it, is Americans are open to everyone choosing their own path....the worlds melting pot...and I whole heartly agree 100% with your statement that America has been so successful because they DO separate Church and State. I must point out that there are several countries that are considered to be both religious and democratic. Turkey and Indonesia for the Muslim religion, Poland and Ireland for Christianity (specifically catholicism), Israel for Judaism, and if one considers Buddhism a religion (I don't...it is a way of living) then Thailand, Tibet (before the Chinese take over) and Nepal. (I'm aware that Thailand is ruled by their beloved King, but for the most part Thailand is considered Democratic)

Now feel free to take your flack jacket off, ..it will show off that hairy chest of yours! ;)

Stig, well said, you are exactly right. But don't forget, even in America we have groups that would like nothing better than "their" church running our government, while they espouse our constitution, which is precisely why our forefathers came here to begin with, to get away from a government that named one religion as king, and all others treason to the crown! If some of the people on this site had their way, Christianity would be named the "one" religion in America, and all others banned. Scary thought, no? Let the bashing begin!!

Rhonda...you know your American History girl! :twothumbs: You are exactly correct. Our forefathers left Britian to escape religious fudamentalism and prosecution. I roll my eyes :rolleyes: everytimes someone writes that America was based on Christianity. :shakehead:

If they do aliitle research, and be open minded, they would find that most of the forefathers would not have considered themselves Christians....Jefferson being probably the main proponet of the separation of church and state. Anywho..if we get hit by negatives..then I'll stand with you...the truth shall set us free!

Edited by Tiffany23
  • Upvote 2

Wow. I'm impressed. TheStig, RhondaG and Tiffany23......keep up the good work. If Iraq is permitted to descend into religious fundamentalism, democracy will in fact be short-lived. Allawi is their best hope of proceeding toward a progressive, well-educated society, but it will be interesting to watch their attempt at democracy with the current parliamentary makeup. Let's hope they're strong enough to pull it off.

I know that my time in Iraq (7+ years) taught me ONE solid thing about the people and their way of life. They WILL return to what they know. There is a comfort zone where people in general are comfortable and they will always return to it. It has been stated to me several times that they will do what WE ask of them, until we leave. History has a way of repeating itself. Rest assuerd it will.

When I look at Sadr I laugh. He is a radical trying to fit in to this democratic setup we put in place.

So how long will it take till he or one of his loyal radical followers oversteps their bounds and completely mess up?

I can assure you once M is elected PM he will butt heads with Sadr again or an off shoot that Sadr can not control and M will definitely have to kill some more of these idiots.

I think that's inevitable. Why? Because a lot of the sadrists marry like 1st cousins or even their own sisters. They really don't get out as much so there are some mentally challenged mongoloids in this country being influenced by a religious leader who has dreams of becoming like the ayatollah of Iraq.

Add also how things have always been in Iraq the last 20 years and how Sadam liked keeping his people stupid by not educating them and....yes, more people will need to die if this Sadr is just hanging around.

This is why the U.S. hates Sadr and all the sadrists need to move to Iran if they don't want to be a part of the Iraq thats being put together.

Iraq will be friendly to the west which is what Sadr doesn't want.

Edited by quadraph0nic